• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Manager

Just got this, new DLC today:
Package one (Hard Mod) released in late September, making several new game modes available to further enhance the “Blue Dragon” experience. This Friday, Oct. 26, will mark the release of pack two, “6 Treasures.” This download expands gameplay with items such as the “Way of Thieves” which allows Shu and his companions to steal rare items possessed by enemy creatures during battle. This is just one of six exciting items that are available with the new DLC package (available for 200 Microsoft Points).

1) “Whimsical Mind” – growth item that enhances a few randomly-picked categories by 0-4 levels

2) “Way of Thieves” – in-battle item that can steal rare items possessed by enemy creatures

3) “Devee Phonograph” – allows you to listen to the “Devee-tribe dance”

4) “Nothing Glasses” – visualizes all “nothing” points by means of a star-looking symbol (oftentimes you’ll find a lot of items that contain “nothing”, followed by an English-speaking narrator saying “nothing”).

5) “Shuffled Helmet” – item that adjusts magical and speed parameters (Magic +40 / Speed -40). Detrimental when used by itself because the speed parameter goes down by 50 points, but when equipped along with “Shuffled Breastplate” and “Shuffled Splint”, this item can quadruplicate the Magic parameters and reverse the Speed parameters. So it becomes the strongest equipment in the game. (Magic +160 / Speed +40)

6) Spring-wind Scarf”” – adjusts characters’ HP and Speed parameters by 20%

i'm about 10 hours into the game and am loving it as well. i'm not an rpg fanatic by any means, but i've played most of the "classics" and so far this game stacks up well. not sure why it wasn't as well-received as it should have been. hopefully the game will see a boost in sales over the holidays.

Aaron

duckroll said:
Wait what? It's 200 MS points? Wtf? The JP release had this DLC ages ago and it was FREE. WTF?! :lol
They also got a case that doesn't scratch the discs when you use it. I'd pay 400 points for that.

D3VI0US

I only played enough of this game to know it is cheesy as fuck and pretty vanilla. Battles seem shallow and I hate the characters.

Diablos

duckroll said:
Oh, the LO localization should be great. Considering how the visual director is American, and the official spoken language is English, and the cutscenes are all lipsynced to that track, it should be solid.
What's so bad about BD's localization?

Not to mention, the voice acting doesn't make me wanna skip every single cutscene in the game.

Diablos said:

Not to mention, the voice acting doesn't make me wanna skip every single cutscene in the game.
It's not the worst... but I have seen quite a few utterly mashed up sentences and few spelling mistakes. The English voice acting is very monotone in places too.

That said, it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the game but it has had me rolling my eyes a few times (same goes for my other half who has been playing it with me).

Diablos said:

The voice acting & direction are fine. It's the writing that's terrible... and, to be honest, I expect that's primarily due to the localization being a literal translation from the Japanese instead of spiced up liberally with an adaptation to ensure the dialogue wasn't mindless drivel.

Let's face it... this dialogue in this title isn't exactly riveting stuff regardless of whether it's spoken or written down.

Diablos

You guys are being way too picky.

Play Eternal Sonata, realize how crappy the voice acting is and how stupid 90% of the dialog is, and then tell me how bad BD can honestly be.

Diablos said:
You guys are being way too picky.

Play Eternal Sonata, realize how crappy the voice acting is and how stupid 90% of the dialog is, and then tell me how bad BD can honestly be.

Eternal Sonata's dialogue is fine in one aspect, but it's sooooo exaggerated, goes nowhere, and ends up getting play boring. Sometimes it can be interesting. Blue Dragon, on the other hand, is so elementary in dialogue, but I think this has to do with the simplicity of the plot and lack of character development. Sure, it has its moments (the end is awesome), but for most of the game, the language just didn't seem very elevated. I mean, I'm not expecting Shakespeare, but better dialogue could be seen in Gears of War. (I have fully beaten Blue Dragon, but I stopped at Ch 4 in Eternal Sonata. I *might* finish it later.)

KingJ2002

5) “Shuffled Helmet” – item that adjusts magical and speed parameters (Magic +40 / Speed -40). Detrimental when used by itself because the speed parameter goes down by 50 points, but when equipped along with “Shuffled Breastplate” and “Shuffled Splint”, this item can quadruplicate the Magic parameters and reverse the Speed parameters. So it becomes the strongest equipment in the game. (Magic +160 / Speed +40)

where's the rest?

Diablos

Why is so much stuff in Blue Dragon dithered?

You even notice it in the shadows... there's often a striped look to it. And a lot of colorful objects. Is this game only running in 16-bit color or something?

Am I fucked???

I have one save game located
when you first get to castle jibral, and they won't let me out of town
and I have a SECOND save game located
just after that on Nene's ship
I've killed EVERY fucking enemy I can find in that zone but the first boss I fight
the guy with guns
fucking pretty much one shots everyone in the back row and when he does his stupid attack that hits everybody it pretty much kills all the casters. And even if my tanks are DEFENDING he can take off like over half people's lives it's fucking stupid. I can only assume I'm not high enough level. Like I don't get it I can't even grind it won't let me warp anywhere, and I can't leave this zone and the god damn enemies won't respawn...sooo.

My guys are all level 23 (I'm playing on hard mode but seriously wtf this isn't even fair)

KingJ2002

i beat the game... man... i liked the ending... im glad i bought this game... the 360 needs more games like this. i didnt max out everyone (just kluke and shu) but now with a second playthough i can enjoy the game without worrying about grinding hard.

flarkminator said:
Am I fucked???

I've killed EVERY fucking enemy I can find in that zone but the first boss I fight
the guy with guns
fucking pretty much one shots everyone in the back row and when he does his stupid attack that hits everybody it pretty much kills all the casters. And even if my tanks are DEFENDING he can take off like over half people's lives it's fucking stupid. I can only assume I'm not high enough level. Like I don't get it I can't even grind it won't let me warp anywhere, and I can't leave this zone and the god damn enemies won't respawn...sooo.

My guys are all level 23 (I'm playing on hard mode but seriously wtf this isn't even fair)

yep... i recall you needed to be on level 50 to put up a fair fight with the game on ultra hard mode.

Bowen_B

Banned
flarkminator said:
Am I fucked???

the guy with guns

Haha,
Oh god it was so fucking hard!

I switched that new girl to White Mage and my Kluke to White Mage as well and Jiro to Black Mage, Shu is a Swordsman with high Guardian and Marumaro was a Monk with Magic Sword. Jiro should have enhanced item and double item equipped for double rezzing, be warned though there are 4 more bosses in the dungeon so use spells as much as you can. Put your whole team into one row, Jiro had support magic; he was casting wall on my whole team. It only gets worse from there though mate, I am still stuck in that dungeon...

The new girl needs as many MP+ accessories equipped as you've got. Shu needs all the Defence you can give him, Kluke needs extra Magic Attack and Jiro needs Extra HP. Jiro is your first priority for rezzing as he can rez twice in a single turn and protect the whole team from damage as well as casting for massive damage when he's not buffing, the new girl should be casting Zephyr most of the time. DON'T ATTACK WHEN THE ENEMY IS IN GUNMAN MODE! Just keep Shu and Marumaro attacking with (charged) magic sword and Kluke nuking him, Jiro needs to keep your team from being damaged and in emergencies healing, the new girl should be healing always.

I killed him with 1 character left and no phoenix wings or talons left, 12 hp, 0 MP. It will be tough.
If you do want to grind though, there is a tunnel with an alarm that spawns enemies. I didn't grind but you're free to do so, I doubt it will help much though.

tanod

when is my burrito
flarkminator said:
Am I fucked???

the guy with guns

I had a similar problem way earlier in the game. You know where you first find that drill machine before the ruined hospital and that machine boss that goes on and on about its treasure and shit. I tried to beat that thing about 7 times. I was playing on Hard mode and was level 9. The enemies didn't respawn and I thought I was completely fucked. After about the 6th try and going through over 10 phoenix talons, I finally beat him but it officially killed any of the fun that I was having in the game up until that point. It wasn't even about strategy. It was all about luck. The battle probably lasted close to 20 minutes.

JayDubya

Banned
For the end of Disc One you need to buy a heaping crapton of potions for Hard Mode. Grind as much as you want to, but death is going to come frequently on the boss gauntlet. The gun boss was rather hard but you just have to play smart. The fire boss is bad too unless you picked up all the good fire resist gear and dispersed it fairly equally.

Also, FEAR AND AWE...

Diablos

Ooh, there's a hard mode?

This game is kicking Eternal Sonata in the ass (as of right now anyway, but I don't expect it to change).

Just beat Disc 1. Time: 19:52. Is this about normal?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Diablos said:
Ooh, there's a hard mode?

This game is kicking Eternal Sonata in the ass (as of right now anyway, but I don't expect it to change).

Just beat Disc 1. Time: 19:52. Is this about normal?

I think I finished Disc 1 on hard mode in 25-27 hours. I did spend a crapton of time just exploring for nothings and whatnot though.

2 and 3 are much shorter...unless you do lots of sidequests.

yukoner

flarkminator said:
Am I fucked???

the guy with guns

No you're ok, I was at the same spot. You need to get up to level 25-26 and you should be able to defeat the bosses with a little luck.

In order to level, go find one of the lasers, and trip it to trigger the alarm which releases a Robot. Just keep triggering the same alarm, until you get to level 25 or so.

It's boring as hell, but pretty rewarding when you finally do take em all down...

Diablos

Brandon F said:
I think I finished Disc 1 on hard mode in 25-27 hours. I did spend a crapton of time just exploring for nothings and whatnot though.

2 and 3 are much shorter...unless you do lots of sidequests.
Cool. I was just about to ask about sidequests; where can I go? I'm right at the beginning of Disc 2.

So what jobs did you guys give everyone?

Here's what my party looks like:

Shu
Primary Job: Monk
Secondary: Nothing, lolz

Jiro
Primary Job: White Magic
Secondary: Barrier Magic

Kluke
Primary Job: Sword Master
Secondary: Guardian

Marumaro (ftw)
Primary Job: Black Magic
Secondary: Support Magic

Zola
Primary Job: Assassin
Secondary: Generalist

This game is SO AWESOME. This could have been a Final Fantasy back in the PSX days, or even PS2 days, before Square completely lost their minds.

Joei

I just got this game this past week. I'm about 10 hours in, shortly after the 2nd Sheep village, (I spend a lot of time just running around, messing with stuff, screwing around with the classes, etc.) and I have to say this game is awesome! The music is freaking great and the visuals are amazing. The battles are surprisingly fun and when you get party combos you can even throw in a little strategy with attacks. This was definitely the RPG I needed!

Thanks for the replies.

I dunno I put the game aside. I was afraid I'd have to grind on the alarm bots, but I guess that's my only option right now.

This game has been REALLY really really awesome up until this point. I mean all the fights were tough but FAIR. And everything was really strategic, I mean usin every skill in your repertoire. But MAN this guy is rape city!

I'll give it a shot this weekend and just grind for a few hours =(. Too busy with work to play during the week haha. =(

Regarding barriers...

Try as I might I just can't find the last green one. The list I have and my confidence I've checked them:

Lot Wilderness West - 75% it's a big place but I see no chests I haven't opened.
Forest of the dead - 100% I think this is the wall one with the chest behind it.
Gul Mountains Caves - 100% Recall specifically opening it and been back to check.
Alumaru Village - 100% It's the one by the shop.
Wire Highlands - 100% Went back to check, I know I opened a red and a green here.
Flesh Eating Forest - 75% I've been through the place a number of times, can't see anything.

Any other lists anywhere? It's driving me nuts. :(

Roxas

Does this help? ...

For the 6th Green Barrier (the one in the Forest of the Dead), after removing the Barrier you need to insert the Epistle of the King (found in the Exile forest) into the chest. Then take what is inside the chest and that should complete the Green Barriers for you..

Sysgen

"Lot Wilderness West - 75% it's a big place but I see no chests I haven't opened."

I screwed up on this when I did it as there is another area that sounds just like Lot Wilderness West and I wound up searching the wrong area for a while.

Roxas said:
Does this help? ...

For the 6th Green Barrier (the one in the Forest of the Dead), after removing the Barrier you need to insert the Epistle of the King (found in the Exile forest) into the chest. Then take what is inside the chest and that should complete the Green Barriers for you..
I picked up the crown of the king ghost which I think is behind this one. Maybe I should concentrate on this lot wilderness thing.

[Edit - Nope, I definitely have this one: http://www.bluedragon-360.net/walk/018.jpg - Flesh eating forest is last option.]

Bowen_B

Banned
flarkminator said:
Thanks for the replies.

I dunno I put the game aside. I was afraid I'd have to grind on the alarm bots, but I guess that's my only option right now.

This game has been REALLY really really awesome up until this point. I mean all the fights were tough but FAIR. And everything was really strategic, I mean usin every skill in your repertoire. But MAN this guy is rape city!

I'll give it a shot this weekend and just grind for a few hours =(. Too busy with work to play during the week haha. =(
Griding is for pussies, switch everyone but Shu to mage and just keep attacking. All the bosses will attack your party no matter where they are so put them all on the front row and keep using Wall on your whole team. If you don't have a Barrier mage then you're screwed.

Oh wow... I should really read manuals sometimes. 60 hours in and I only just found out I could change which char I see running around the map. :lol

Diablos

Psychotext said:
Oh wow... I should really read manuals sometimes. 60 hours in and I only just found out I could change which char I see running around the map. :lol
:lol

Made it to Disc 3. I just got out of that
village that was terrorized by the flesh-eating tree until I pwned it.
Man, I love this game.

It's 100x better than Eternal Sonata, btw

Diablos

Friendly bump: How can I acquire the patch for Blue Dragon, and, beyond giving us a hard mode, does it address any issues like framerate, etc.?

My one month Gold trial ended a few days ago, so is there any other way to get this?

Aaron

You can download the DLC via silver. You don't need gold. It doesn't address the framerate, which is the only issue I've noticed in the game.

PG2G

Diablos said:
Friendly bump: How can I acquire the patch for Blue Dragon, and, beyond giving us a hard mode, does it address any issues like framerate, etc.?

My one month Gold trial ended a few days ago, so is there any other way to get this?

There shouldn't be any problem downloading it on Silver. Just go to Blue Dragon in Marketplace and download it.

soco

Diablos said:
Why is so much stuff in Blue Dragon dithered?

You even notice it in the shadows... there's often a striped look to it. And a lot of colorful objects. Is this game only running in 16-bit color or something?

it's something that's done on a lot of 360 games. i'm pretty sure the dithering only occurs on things that should be alphablended (semi-transparent). it's a performance thing to allow you to have a lot more alphablending on screen. if you're playing at any normal distance from the tv in a high res mode, it's not typically noticeable.

i think Saints Row and VP were among the first to really use this a lot.

Finished this tonight, awesome. :D

Plus the Toripo easter egg at the end there... I don't know why but I just had a feeling something was hiding at the back!

Just beat King Poo and Gold Mecha Robo too, not as hard as I was expecting though King Poo was a close fight at the end because I screwed up a move.

Diablos

I will try updating soon. Thanks for the info.

Ok, so I just got
teh AIRSHIP!!!!!
and now I'm wondering what to do. Seems like there are a lot of sidequests, but which ones are worth it and how do I
trigger an event that lets me get to Nene so I can kick his ass once and for all?

Bebpo

Banned
Diablos said:

Ok, so I just got
teh AIRSHIP!!!!!
and now I'm wondering what to do. Seems like there are a lot of sidequests, but which ones are worth it and how do I
trigger an event that lets me get to Nene so I can kick his ass once and for all?

They are all worth it.

Have fun! You're at the best part of the game :) Just explore and have a good time.

Bebpo said:
They are all worth it.

Have fun! You're at the best part of the game :) Just explore and have a good time.

he speaks the truth. I am not one to "complete" RPG's, but, man, it's just so rewarding in this game.

Hurry up Lost Odyssey.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Diablos said:

Ok, so I just got
teh AIRSHIP!!!!!

I really found it nice how the game sort of pinpoints all of the endgame sidequests on the pause map. Or at least all the places of 'special' interest. There are a few other more subtle sidequests that may require a faq to discover(like recalling where all of the colored locked chests were), but unlike say...FFX's infinitely horrible optional quests, Blue Dragon has a very pleasant...dare I say 'tactful' approach to presenting them to the player.

I will argue that some of the bonus quests are pretty meh though; nice rewards, but pretty bland dungeons. :(

Oh and be prepared for visual OVERLOAD when you feast your eyes on the area the final dungeon inhabits. ;)

Diablos

I don't want dungeon overload... that's like one of the worst things about an RPG is TOO MANY dungeons all at once.
And where the eff is Nene?

I gotta get on Silver and get the patch, woo

Diablos

Ok, I'm at the final dungeon -- this place is confusing as hell.

The door that's kinda black/purple, where Jiro says "omg this doesn't feel right!!!!" -- do I have to go through that, or is it optional, because I already got another key, and I can't find the friggin' door!

This game is NOT super easy. Yeah, it's not as hard as some classic jrpg's I'm sure, but it does have a fair amount of challenge. It is most certainly not a "beginner's RPG".

Diablos said:
The door that's kinda black/purple, where Jiro says "omg this doesn't feel right!!!!" -- do I have to go through that, or is it optional, because I already got another key, and I can't find the friggin' door!
If I recall correctly you have to backtrack past that door to get to the one your key will open

Top Bottom