• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Synless

Quazar said:
That site...my internet sucks, so I'd like to know what that site is about.
If you work at a store like bestbuy/circuit city/EB, or basically a place that has a sony rep come in the store you are eligible to use the Retail insider from either sony or microsoft. These retail sites have a bunch of quiz's (all of which are beyond easy) that you take and earn points that you can use to get games or other little game related things. Microsoft's has prizes from pretty much anything they sell but you have to pay for those at a hugely discounted price and they get shipped to you in a few days. Sony has more games to win and they are free but they take a month or so to get.

Quazar

Synless said:
If you work at a store like bestbuy/circuit city/EB, or basically a place that has a sony rep come in the store you are eligible to use the Retail insider from either sony or microsoft. These retail sites have a bunch of quiz's (all of which are beyond easy) that you take and earn points that you can use to get games or other little game related things. Microsoft's has prizes from pretty much anything they sell but you have to pay for those at a hugely discounted price and they get shipped to you in a few days. Sony has more games to win and they are free but they take a month or so to get.

Cool, thanks. Didn't know about this.

Somnia

Sorry to bump this but you people who didn't buy this game HAVE to go buy it now. We dropped the price to 39.99 new at GameStop today. If you don't buy it at that price you deserve to DIE!!!

Somnia said:
Sorry to bump this but you people who didn't buy this game HAVE to go buy it now. We dropped the price to 39.99 new at GameStop today. If you don't buy it at that price you deserve to DIE!!!

well said. there are now no excuses.

SilvaHalo

Banned
I just dont know what the deal is about this game.....I mean I have played better games but this.....it's like crack, I pick it up and I just keep playing and playing.

Orodreth

Anyone who purchased it from play.com can tell me if that or any UK version does include the original japanese voices?

Saw the price drop at play.com but I was gonna get the NTSC just for that and i want to listen to the original voices.

Orodreth said:
Anyone who purchased it from play.com can tell me if that or any UK version does include the original japanese voices?
The UK version has the Japanese voices... unless they've changed it since I bought it!

Llyranor

I'm on disc 3 at the
frozen
village, and about to request
king dude's help
; about how much do I still have left?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Llyranor said:
I'm on disc 3 at the
frozen
village, and about to request
king dude's help
; about how much do I still have left?
I'd say 4-5 hours without the optional stuff.

Llyranor

Alright, finished the game at about 60 hrs.

Overall, excellent game.

Gameplay was pretty good. Traditional combat system, but charging attacks was a subtle but very appreciated addition. The job system was very well implemented. No random encounters was fabulous, and field abilities made grinding pretty much irrelevant (for those who don't want to). I essentially fought each new monster once, then field barrier'ed the rest (when I could). The hard mode was a great DLC; it really made me enjoy the gameplay so much more, especially the tough boss battles (some of them excessively so, esp at the end of disc 1 and 2 - which is a positive for me).

Story was pretty much fairly standard. No huge twists, and nothing particularly memorable. I found the localization decent, and some of the humor worked. The main cast didn't have much depth, but they were charming in their own way. Overall, it was a lighthearted adventure with fairly likable characters. The NPCs you meet and help on the way were also fairly likable.

Progression through the discs was nice. I found the gameplay didn't become stale, and there was always something to look forward to. I usually don't do sidequests much in JRPGs, but I was compelled enough to spend the last 10ish hrs doing most of them. In the end, maybe that made the final dungeon/boss too easy, but all in good fun.

Pacing overall was good, but I spent a lot of time in dungeons and just pressing A at every object I could find. The 'nothings' led to good items, but ultimately I need to fight off my obsessive-compulsive urges next time.

Music was excellent for the most part. Some of the techno stuff was a bit hit-or-miss. I didn't like the boss music at first, but then I got used to it. My siblings hate it whenever I get to a boss.

Graphics are great. Good artistic direction throughout. Framerate wasn't perfect, but it was more of an annoyance than an actual impediment to gameplay.

Ultimately, the game is also better than the sums of its parts. I wasn't sick of it after 60 hrs of gameplay. I'd highly recommend this to any fan of traditional old-school turn-based JRPGs. Unless you only play JRPGs for the story.

Eteric Rice

Sorry to bump and double post, but is it me or does this game have a lot of motion blur?

Has be a bit freaked because I thought it was ghosting.

MCD

Eteric Rice said:
Sorry to bump and double post, but is it me or does this game have a lot of motion blur?

Has be a bit freaked because I thought it was ghosting.

Yup, at first it was really annoying, made me sleepy and dizzy along with the relaxing music lol.

after some time, i got used to it.

Aaron

Brannon said:
Playing it now, and there's a lot of things to search.

Like, a million rocks and trees.
Either get the nothing glasses or don't bother. You never get much worthwhile out of it.

GhaleonEB

My daughter continues her trek through the game. She's just
cured Maru's village
and arrived at the town in the mountains. She's going very slow by experienced gamer standards (about 17 hours in now), but the pace has picked up lately now that she's no longer terrified of every encounter ("they're going to hit me!"). It's exciting to see her get sucked into the story - she gets really invested in what's happening next, and it's holding her attention like nothing else does. The game is pretty easy, but that makes is a good first RPG. She's learning new skills and tactics slowly, well after they are introduced, but the difficulty allows her to do so without getting frustrated. She's got time to take it in at her own pace.

She's absolutely loving it so far. I think I'll have her write a review when she's done (which will be a month or so at this pace).

My review would be different, but then, I'm not the one playing it.

Eteric Rice

GhaleonEB said:
My daughter continues her trek through the game. She's just
cured Maru's village
and arrived at the town in the mountains. She's going very slow by experienced gamer standards (about 17 hours in now), but the pace has picked up lately now that she's no longer terrified of every encounter ("they're going to hit me!"). It's exciting to see her get sucked into the story - she gets really invested in what's happening next, and it's holding her attention like nothing else does. The game is pretty easy, but that makes is a good first RPG. She's learning new skills and tactics slowly, well after they are introduced, but the difficulty allows her to do so without getting frustrated. She's got time to take it in at her own pace.

She's absolutely loving it so far. I think I'll have her write a review when she's done (which will be a month or so at this pace).

My review would be different, but then, I'm not the one playing it.

Nothing greater than experiencing your first RPG.

Mine was Super Mario RPG. :D

Anyway, was curious. Does this game run at 60FPS, or 30? I'm thinking 30, but I could be wrong.

ran into what i think is a weird bug. let me know if this has happened to any of you. so at the beginning of the game when the credits are rolling and you can control the main dude, i was running around and pushed A on a rock and got some herb or something. after that the game starts up as normal and i get to the fight against the sand shark. the game freezes. ok, no big deal freezing happens. restart again, this time it freezes when im the old man. ooook... start it once more. this time i get to the park where the shark drags you into that cave. freezes again.

now i'm thinking "welp here comes the red rings!" cause this is kind of similar to what i experienced w/ my first 360 which died. i popped in DiRT (yeah im a viral marketer so i have the i lowercase!) and played for about 15 mins with no freezes or anything. i put blue dragon back in once more and i forgot to go over to that rock and the game starts. well, i played for about 2 hours straight with no freezing. weird coincedence or does obtaining that item cause the game to spaz out?

anyhow, the game is pretty cool so far. graphics are awesome and it is nice to FINALLY see a traditional RPG on xbox after waiting so long. i will buy lost odyssey thanks to blue dragon!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Eteric Rice said:
Nothing greater than experiencing your first RPG.

Mine was Super Mario RPG. :D

Anyway, was curious. Does this game run at 60FPS, or 30? I'm thinking 30, but I could be wrong.

It's really all over the place, probably going between 15-30, but usually closer to 30. There is a good amount of screen tearing as well. The graphics are beautiful, but the framerate definitely isn't one of the game's high points.

None of it ever bothered me, though.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
ran into what i think is a weird bug. let me know if this has happened to any of you. so at the beginning of the game when the credits are rolling and you can control the main dude, i was running around and pushed A on a rock and got some herb or something. after that the game starts up as normal and i get to the fight against the sand shark. the game freezes. ok, no big deal freezing happens. restart again, this time it freezes when im the old man. ooook... start it once more. this time i get to the park where the shark drags you into that cave. freezes again.

now i'm thinking "welp here comes the red rings!" cause this is kind of similar to what i experienced w/ my first 360 which died. i popped in DiRT (yeah im a viral marketer so i have the i lowercase!) and played for about 15 mins with no freezes or anything. i put blue dragon back in once more and i forgot to go over to that rock and the game starts. well, i played for about 2 hours straight with no freezing. weird coincedence or does obtaining that item cause the game to spaz out?

Check your disc. Blue Dragon discs have a nack for attracting deep circular cuts after only minutes in a disc drive. So does Mass Effect, I find. I had to invest in a DVD-repair-kit to finish Blue Dragon, my discs would regularly be scratched to hell and throw me out of the game.

Of course, that could just be my Xbox. It makes screeching, lurching noises at the best of times.

Oh god I just started playing this today and I dont think I've rolled my eye's this much at corny video game dialog before. Just 1 one hour in and I think I might allready be sick of it.

"I will never give up"! Jesus I get the point all ready. It's taking everything I have to continue playing.

IcebergSlim3000 said:
Oh god I just started playing this today and I dont think I've rolled my eye's this much at corny video game dialog before. Just 1 one hour in and I think I might allready be sick of it.

"I will never give up"! Jesus I get the point all ready. It's taking everything I have to continue playing.

Keep going. The dialogue is indeed quite awful in the beginning, but everything picks up the more you progress.

GhaleonEB

IcebergSlim3000 said:

I will never give up"! Jesus I get the point all ready. It's taking everything I have to continue playing.
Yeah. The writing isn't that great. Some of the acting is terrible. One of my major criticisms is that the game doesn't seem to know who it's aimed at. The story and themes are aimed at a pretty young set so far, IMO, and the art style is appealing to my kids. But they throw in random mild cursing (damn, hell) and some of the situations seem to be "written-up" to make it more serious. It's a kids story trying to be more grown-up. I don't know if it's the translation or if it was in the original.

Daughter progress update: she's played three days without my help now, for the first time. She knows the combat systems, skill selections, item purchasing and equipping, field skills and navigation. (It helps that she's only five but reads at the nine-ten year-old level.)Little girl is out there, on her own. I come home each day to stories of what she's doing (most of which are hard to understand - she just got to the village with the land shark again, and fought some boss down below; not sure what happened). She's still loving it more and more. It's really fun watching her graduate from Cloning Clyde to a full-blown RPG with a story and multiple styles of play.

FateBreaker said:
Keep going. The dialogue is indeed quite awful in the beginning, but everything picks up the more you progress.

God its so hard though. Is anyone gonna start dieing soon. I really need for someone's village to burn down real fast or Im going to fall asleep.

Started playing again and I'm on disc three. All of a sudden I'm noticing performance changes from the prior two discs. The good one is that I can run through the whole main street of Jibral Town (from the entrance past the cafe and up to the castle) with virtually no slowdown. On disc 1 & 2 this same action would lead the framerate to stutter or drop to what felt like 12fps at times. Pretty smooth and fairly strange that it now runs better.

Unfortunately, loading times have gone down. It's hard to say for certain, but entering and exiting houses seems to take longer. Perhaps a second or two though I could just be imaging that. What isn't imagined is that trying to save normally during play or starting up fresh from a saved game file is now taking about 15-25 seconds or so and now features full screen art of each character cycling back and forth until the loading is complete. This never happened until I had to carry my save over to disc 3. Normally, I'd see a single small white character art box over a black bg only while loading up a saved game file from start up. I never saw the fullscreen art until now. Granted, there is more data to deal with at this point in the game. Just wanted to verify that this isn't a technical issue since I haven't noticed increased loading in other games. I take it the larger art is a bonus for journeying on.

MCD

dunno, i think i saw the long loading with art while loading saves on all discs, not 100% sure though.

duckroll

The more saves you have, the longer it will take to access the saved files listing. It's pretty bad programming. LO has it too, the more saves I have the longer it takes. They reduced the total save files limit from 30 (Blue Dragon) to 20 (Lost Odyssey) probably because they didn't want people waiting over 3 minutes for the listing to load. :lol

MCD

Loading with BD = zero issue for me, what pissed me off more is the mechat.

flying on the map with it is BAD BAD BAD.

Artoon need to get it better with the sequel, if there is one.

Thanks guys.

McDragon said:
Artoon need to get it better with the sequel, if there is one.
Agreed.
Even after the PS360's big guns have come out this is still one of the most beautiful and enjoyable games I've played, HD or otherwise. All I want for the sequel is a further optimized engine, improved story, better implementation of AA + AF across the board (some things look almost flawless while others are jaggy and/or messy), a good deal less dithering (I barely notice tearing in most games - just about twice so far here - but dithering drives me nutty) and a few other things that I can't recall at the moment.

Graphically, if BD2 has this same exact level of visuals (light, geometry, etc.) without an increase and only improved upon the AA and AF I'd be more than happy. Imagine 4xAA + 2xAF with this art. Blue Dragon 1.5 jokes aside, it would look stunning.

duckroll said:
The more saves you have, the longer it will take to access the saved files listing. It's pretty bad programming. LO has it too, the more saves I have the longer it takes. They reduced the total save files limit from 30 (Blue Dragon) to 20 (Lost Odyssey) probably because they didn't want people waiting over 3 minutes for the listing to load. :lol
In that case LO should probably have just 3 save files and an option to turn textures off during gameplay and cutscenes.

Brannon

Thankfully for the more brutal fights you get a more appropriate song than STARE INTO ETERNITY. As it should be. I'm not fighting some gigantic beast named Dullahan to... THAT.

shoplifter

I just started playing after picking it up in the TRU sale a few months back. So far, its actually quite a bit more enjoyable than I had expected. They really shouldn't have given you so many techs/etc in the demo.

This game has the best boss music ever. EVER.

is there anyway to apply the new difficulty setting AFTER you've already started a game? i'm 5 hours in and don't feel like replaying those 5 hours just to have higher difficulty, but man it's pretty easy.... and i suck at rpg's! i've only died twice, and both times were basically because i got caught in a boss battle when i had low HP heading in. after restarting from the checkpoint i just healed my peeps and took care of business.

harSon

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
is there anyway to apply the new difficulty setting AFTER you've already started a game? i'm 5 hours in and don't feel like replaying those 5 hours just to have higher difficulty, but man it's pretty easy.... and i suck at rpg's! i've only died twice, and both times were basically because i got caught in a boss battle when i had low HP heading in. after restarting from the checkpoint i just healed my peeps and took care of business.

Either start over or finish through the game without ever dying.

Synless

How in the hell do you get the no damage achievement for the wagon in this game???? There is a point where a tiger pops out in front, a rat in the middle and one at the back. I can kill two of them but the third hits it every damn time!!!! Help someone!!!!!!

reriel

Synless said:
How in the hell do you get the no damage achievement for the wagon in this game???? There is a point where a tiger pops out in front, a rat in the middle and one at the back. I can kill two of them but the third hits it every damn time!!!! Help someone!!!!!!
just open the ring to locate them, and remember that tigers are more slow than fat rats.
it's useful stay more time between the wagon when you can do it.

reriel said:
just open the ring to locate them, and remember that tigers are more slow than fat rats.
it's useful stay more time between the wagon when you can do it.

Kinda ironic that the fat rats are faster than the tigers that look like they should have six packs :lol

Brannon

I saved and shut off my system and laid in bed before it came to me to USE THE GODDAMNED ENCOUNTER RING FOR THE WAGONS.

...damn my propensity for using one save!

Top Bottom