• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blur |OT|

U2NUMB

Just noticed they put up the multiplayer demo once again today. It shows up at the latest demo. Perhaps trying to get some more support for the game.

Flib

I love this game dearly, but it really runs like crap on my PC. Seriously, I get much better performance out of Crysis. Really needs some optimizing.

Maybe it's because I'm in the kiddie lounge (levels 1-10) but I find that being near last place all the time to be fucking boring. There are no cool game-changer powerups in the game like there are in Mario Kart (like the blue shell), so you can't even be the spoiling dickhead like you could in that game. At least if you were in dead last in Kart you could still have some fun knowing you've ruined someone's first place finish. In this game there's no such thrill - just finish the race and take your measly fans as your reward.

What am I missing?

Klocker

BigNastyCurve said:
Maybe it's because I'm in the kiddie lounge (levels 1-10) but I find that being near last place all the time to be fucking boring. There are no cool game-changer powerups in the game like there are in Mario Kart (like the blue shell), so you can't even be the spoiling dickhead like you could in that game. At least if you were in dead last in Kart you could still have some fun knowing you've ruined someone's first place finish. In this game there's no such thrill - just finish the race and take your measly fans as your reward.

What am I missing?

the desire to beat a guy for 9th? :D

I dig coming in at almost any rank other than last. helps a lot when you get to power up races (20 players) and the unsung soldier to ME is Team Racing... not enough people playing that one sadly.

this game is tits if you don't need to be first. I got a huge rush the first time I came in 3rd in a full race. :lol

mr stroke

BigNastyCurve said:

What am I missing?

The Lighting bolt is probably the closest thing to a blue shell, but it only works if other people run into them. The best strategy I have found is to ignore a lot of the power ups and store up on shields, then using them only when people launch weapons at you. If you can pull that off you can go around most of the race invincible.

chixdiggit

Flib said:
I love this game dearly, but it really runs like crap on my PC. Seriously, I get much better performance out of Crysis. Really needs some optimizing.

Specs? Runs superb on my rig (I7, GTX260).

see5harp

Almost every weapon can be used as defense once you learn them. The rest is just memorizing the tracks and cars like any other game. Once you pick a loadout that gives powerups for defending and focus on your line you should have no problem getting first every now and again (I've played less than an hour and have won a race).

chixdiggit

Klocker said:
this game is tits if you don't need to be first. I got a huge rush the first time I came in 3rd in a full race. :lol

Agreed. I have had plenty of intense battles between 3 or so cars all fighting for 9th place.

Flib said:

Odd, I run it perfectly fine at max settings, and I don't have a great PC at all.

2.7GHz Athlon 64 X2
3GB ram
geforce 9600GT 1GB

Yeah...

see5harp

Wow just beat a friend's rechallenge by 2 minutes by wrecking the corvette boss on the first lap. This game is really good.

Sysgen

Your in 5th place. Do you take the green pill or the blue pill? :) Personally most times I take the blue pill.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You know, with another week under my belt, I can say:

These guys REALLY should have been the team to make the Speed Racer movie game.

SumGamer

I need some advice.

SP gets kinda tough for me right now. I have beaten the first two bosses and now trying to get a privi to fight the third and forth, but I just couldn't. In fact I cant even finish in a proper place!! Am I picking a wrong car or what? I tends to use those with great acceleration and speed but little grips mean that the speed drop too low when sliding around the corner. If I pick a car with great Grip then I wont be fast enough to chase them. I tried to Shaunt them whenever I can but it seems impossible to catch those guys up front!! My best so far is around 5 or 6th of 15, I must be doing something wrong here :(

The first two settings I can just breeze through them but this is really hard! Trying to pick up an item to take out those in front of you, and some for protecting from those behinds, while trying to go through Fans gate and doing Fan requests.

Almost tormenting. I switched to play MP since yesterday and it was awesome and far less tormenting. :lol

I say that rubber band AI need to tone down a bit. BTW, I have tried EASY as well :(

ram

when you play at easy, you can really outrace the bosses. other than that, get more fans, because then you will unlock new (and better) cars.

SumGamer said:
I need some advice.

SP gets kinda tough for me right now. I have beaten the first two bosses and now trying to get a privi to fight the third and forth, but I just couldn't. In fact I cant even finish in a proper place!! Am I picking a wrong car or what? I tends to use those with great acceleration and speed but little grips mean that the speed drop too low when sliding around the corner. If I pick a car with great Grip then I wont be fast enough to chase them. I tried to Shaunt them whenever I can but it seems impossible to catch those guys up front!! My best so far is around 5 or 6th of 15, I must be doing something wrong here :(

The first two settings I can just breeze through them but this is really hard! Trying to pick up an item to take out those in front of you, and some for protecting from those behinds, while trying to go through Fans gate and doing Fan requests.

Almost tormenting. I switched to play MP since yesterday and it was awesome and far less tormenting. :lol

I say that rubber band AI need to tone down a bit. BTW, I have tried EASY as well :(

Dude, dont get mad, but...practice is what can I say. The difficulty level clearly ramps up from the third chapter and it IS tough, but you can open up the latter chapters without completing the third chapter and make progress in those. It's funny how when you got those done, you go back to chapter 3 and it feels far more doable especially since you get some more cars.

I know how you feel, all I can say is that get a car you are comfortable with and learn to use the weapons, especially to defend your position, never shoot a single Shut rocket, shoot 2 at least, that works better. You are right that racing online is easier :)

You can do it tho, totally, just complete the races in other chapters to get some practice in. I feel the difficulty level on Normal is too tough, but really, with practice and perfecting your runs, you can do it.

Spookie

lastplayed said:
I see the multiplayer beta demo is back on Xbox Live, are they getting worried about the numbers?

Probably. Their own fault for launching in such a busy window. Shame though as I'm enjoying this online even with it's frustrations.

Flib

Ajemsuhgao said:
Odd, I run it perfectly fine at max settings, and I don't have a great PC at all.

2.7GHz Athlon 64 X2
3GB ram
geforce 9600GT 1GB

Yeah...

It's bizarre (I mean the term, not the company). I do have a gaming laptop, which makes people roll there eyes, but it's a good one and there isn't any reason that I can't run this maxed at 1900x1200 with good fps like many of the other games I'm currently playing: Split/Second, Alpha Protocol, Battlefield 2, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2 etc.

I know I don't have a blazing rig, and it's most likely my processor, I'm guessing, but it's showing a low processor load in game so I don't really know what to think. A lot of people seem to be having this problem, looking at various forums. Some people seem to be having luck with disabling firewalls and such, but it's weird that this hasn't come up in any other game. Anyway:

2.3 ghz core 2 duo
nvidia 9800M gt 1gb
4gb ram

This chugs on low settings at 1440x900, which is bizarre. Crysis, Just Cause 2 etc have much higher frame rates on much higher settings.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Could someone with more online experience answer this: does the upgrading of cars via the car challenges make lower class cars competitive with cars from higher classes when in an any-class race? Or is the point of it merely as a perk when racing within the same class the upgraded car belongs to?

Pete Rock

I think it's pretty clear they did pick a terrible release window, aside from being right on top of their direct competition of Split/Second, they are both severely overshadowed by RDR.

Also thought it was strange of them to pull the beta two weeks before release, when that's usually the time frame for most demos to drop.

Doesn't matter though, game is still a blast, the only problem being I haven't had much time to play it lately.

deathberry

Neo Member
Is anybody else getting disconnected from 4 - 20 player races? I'm fine in 10 player races, but a few seconds after any 20 player race starts, including Team races, I get disconnected as soon as I cross the Start line.

Klocker

MP demo is back up on XBL btw

Edit: which reminds me.... were "Chaining hits" removed from final release?

I tried the beta demo again today and there are a few subtle differences from the final (which I know is the point)

but it actually felt pretty good with the subtle differences. (small speed bump when firing Shunt?) although retail release looks more polished.

Klocker said:
the desire to beat a guy for 9th? :D

I dig coming in at almost any rank other than last. helps a lot when you get to power up races (20 players) and the unsung soldier to ME is Team Racing... not enough people playing that one sadly.

Yeah, I've had some amazing races where it was just me and two others jockeying for the last three spots. I even remember saying in the lobby afterwards, "You guys missed a kick ass race in the back!"

:lol

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, I've had some amazing races where it was just me and two others jockeying for the last three spots. I even remember saying in the lobby afterwards, "You guys missed a kick ass race in the back!"

:lol

:lol Ive had quite a few of "those" races. Loving this game!

witness

Whooooo gamefly sent me the ps3 version today, so hyped. Been playing the beta on 360, completely addicted. With how hard the single player is, should I just play it on easy? I do pretty decent online, have 4 first place finishes so just how hard is the AI compared to real players? Is there any difference with the ps3 version?

The thing is, until you level up in Multi, you'll never get the cars to compete at the top level, so you might as well just get used to being in the back and have fun. I've yet to actually be alone in the back.

Sysgen

BenjaminBirdie said:
The thing is, until you level up in Multi, you'll never get the cars to compete at the top level, so you might as well just get used to being in the back and have fun. I've yet to actually be alone in the back.

In a race with a decent amount of people this emphatically is not true.

JonnyAvacado

Neo Member
BenjaminBirdie said:

You can definitely win, I have gotten quite a few first place finishes against high level players. But its the kind of game where you can win a few, then plummet to the bottom, go back up to 6th - 3rd place, drop down again, then win the next one. Its madness!!

However its such an awesome and addicting game...definitely the Mario Kart I have been waiting for (I hated the Wii version with a passion). So glad I purchased this one, as I was torn between this and ModNation...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
What are the racing communities like for this on X360 and PS3? I prefer the DS3 for racing games and I like the fact Blur supports 7.1 PCM on PS3.

Man, this game is awesome. I laugh at all the haters who thought this was gonna be trash when the first screens came out. Tools.

(I was probably in that group)

see5harp

Around midnight PST there are usually around 1500 playing total. So honestly, I'd just rent the game to see if you like it, then buy the game when it drops in value in a month or two.

I bought this game on blind faith. I really wanted one of the May racers. My love of PGR's driving model and Geometry Wars' seizure inducing colors assures me that I will get something that I at least tolerate.

Liberty4all

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
What are the racing communities like for this on X360 and PS3? I prefer the DS3 for racing games and I like the fact Blur supports 7.1 PCM on PS3.

From what I understand the 360 community is the only one with half a chance at any staying power.

U2NUMB

Bamelin said:
From what I understand the 360 community is the only one with half a chance at any staying power.

Yep you can find full games pretty much at any time of the day. It is really too bad because they could have easily made this game a hit on all platforms with these changes.

1) Release window.. give it some room. Even April would have been better.

2) Multiplayer demos on ALL platforms. Weeks in advance.

3) $39.99

That is all it would have taken. And I think we would have had a hit on our hands.

A side note additional option would have been nice also. A downloadable version for $29.99 that ONLY included Multiplayer. They may have been able to get that past retail if they let them know it was less content.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any word on a PC patch? The hitching is still there and has kept me from playing it.

It's still very playable, but those tiny hitches really interrupt the flow of a racing game. Just not acceptable.

Decided to pick up this game yesterday despite grabing Modnation just a week earlier. What I love about this game, that pisses me off about Modnation, is the fact that it is so easy to jump into a race. And those races are damn fun! Great online component (please don't die out too soon) and a fun single player as well. Wish it had the customization options of Modnation but I don't think you could expect that in this type of game.

Both are fun experiences but I give the edge for "kart" racing to Blur right now simply because I can get from turning on my console to jumping into a race so much faster. Modnation needs to fix that.

danmaku

dark10x said:
Any word on a PC patch? The hitching is still there and has kept me from playing it.

It's still very playable, but those tiny hitches really interrupt the flow of a racing game. Just not acceptable.

Same here, it's really annoying. It seems to be a problem with sound drivers on Windows 7 64...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
danmaku said:
Same here, it's really annoying. It seems to be a problem with sound drivers on Windows 7 64...
Yeah, that's what I gather.

I'm not wasting HDD space on Windows XP, though. Should have just purchased a console version.

DenogginizerOS said:
I am close to buying this, but all these comments about a floundering online community make me hesitant. :(

There were 2000 people on Xbox Live playing this game last night. I seriously hope that number is wrong. It's hard to imagine it would be that low for such a new game. I can't help but think it simply came out too close to Split/Second.

Still, I found games relatively fast and there was no lag whatsoever in the games I played.

Top Bottom