• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blur |OT|

Liberty4all

Banned
DoctorWho said:
There were 2000 people on Xbox Live playing this game last night. I seriously hope that number is wrong. It's hard to imagine it would be that low for such a new game. I can't help but think it simply came out too close to Split/Second.

Still, I found games relatively fast and there was no lag whatsoever in the games I played.

The community will surivive of that I have doubt (on the 360 at least).

Despite a smaller than expected player-base, those that ARE playing it are the hardcore type ... the game does seem to bring in that sort of love thanks to a crackheadish CoD progression system.

I noted in my game of 20 players, NOBODY left in over 3 hours of playing. Even when the occasional person dropped out, a new person would almost immediately jump in.

So even if there is only ever a couple hundred people online at any one time, it's going to be enough to keep the game going for a long long time.

Klocker

BTW for a nice speed sensation boost... go bumper cam after looking at the pretty car graphics wears off :D ... more adrenaline and a little closer to the action

Bamelin said:
The community will surivive of that I have doubt (on the 360 at least).

Despite a smaller than expected player-base, those that ARE playing it are the hardcore type ... the game does seem to bring in that sort of love thanks to a crackheadish CoD progression system.

I noted in my game of 20 players, NOBODY left in over 3 hours of playing. Even when the occasional person dropped out, a new person would almost immediately jump in.

So even if there is only ever a couple hundred people online at any one time, it's going to be enough to keep the game going for a long long time.

Yeah, this part makes me happy. Once you find a good room it can last for a long time.

mr stroke

Klocker said:
BTW for a nice speed sensation boost... go bumper cam after looking at the pretty car graphics wears off :D ... more adrenaline and a little closer to the action

+1

I enjoy the fist person view much more in this game. Its easier to drift and it has a greater sense of speed

see5harp

Finally got all of the medals or whatever they call them in the first 3 brackets. I'm actually enjoying the single player as much as the multi.

I am really enjoying this game. Typically, I pass on games that don't generate a certain amount of buzz.

I'm glad I bought it. It is a really well done game. It feels like what a sequel to WipEout would be if the sequels to WipEout weren't the exact same game over and over again. While more WipEout is never a bad thing, it's good to have an alternate universe version of that.

Has anyone invested time into the licensed or regular soundtrack? The regular soundtrack wasn't really making itself noticed so I switched to licensed currently. I'm wondering if either is better.

mr stroke

as much as I like this game I think it has some of the lamest track design, most of the tracks are boring as hell. I wish you could combine this game with the Split Seconds tracks

Sysgen

mr stroke said:
as much as I like this game I think it has some of the lamest track design, most of the tracks are boring as hell. I wish you could combine this game with the Split Seconds tracks

This and Split Second apples and oranges even though they're both arcade racers. I wish people would stop comparing. I also find the Blur tracks incredibly diverse. Is there a racer with more diverse tracks? What is it you want? Hollywood Hills is boring? The Los Angeles shipyards don't excite you? Tokyo freeways too mundane? Manhattan not enough luster? Running your car off a dock or drifting off a hill maybe not inventive enough? Tough customer.

Holy shit at the difficulty in this game! I just beat Shannon but making it first in these races is a fucking headache. As much as its' a challenge I do love the game so far reminds me of Burnout/Kart racing/NFS: MW, it's satified my craving for a racing game more than Modnation has. I want to try S/S but...7 GB install..wtf.

gunstarhero

This game is SO awesome online... but it's kicking the crap out of me in single player.

Anyone getting embarrassing times on the 5th track, 2nd set (I forget the guy's name - he's after Shannon, in the City).

The Checkpoint Challenge in the LA Docks is keeping me from opening up the last race in that set - ARG!

G_Berry

Banned
Any Aussies sitting on the fence regarding purchasing this game Big W is selling it for $58!!

That is an absolute BARGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

how do you turn in this game

it feels like my car is driving through cement. If I slow down, i lose. If i don't, i play bumper cars with the wall and I lose. I loved PGR but i'm pretty frustrated with the handling in this.. does it get better as you unlock more tracks?

The game seems to make no sense when I get the fastest lap award but don't even finish the fucking race because I'm a mile behind everyone and racing by myself which is not fun at all.

I think i might hate this game, but i'm not sure if I just misunderstand it.

Sysgen

Square Triangle said:
Holy shit at the difficulty in this game! I just beat Shannon but making it first in these races is a fucking headache. As much as its' a challenge I do love the game so far reminds me of Burnout/Kart racing/NFS: MW, it's satified my craving for a racing game more than Modnation has. I want to try S/S but...7 GB install..wtf.

I see a lot of people saying the s/p is difficult but the only one on one I had a problem with is the
twins
. Stunt / Barge and go , then just defend his attacks. This is on normal. If you're behind use the lightning. At least on normal they'll hit it at least once. Also hit all the Nitros.

SonOfABeep said:

it feels like my car is driving through cement. If I slow down, i lose. If i don't, i play bumper cars with the wall and I lose. I loved PGR but i'm pretty frustrated with the handling in this.. does it get better as you unlock more tracks?

The game seems to make no sense when I get the fastest lap award but don't even finish the fucking race because I'm a mile behind everyone and racing by myself which is not fun at all.

Try and corner sticking to the racing line. Drifting too much or hitting a wall will slow you. The only reason to hit the wall is to leave a mine there. :) Also one of the mods awards a Nitro for a great drift around a corner.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am thoroughly enjoying this game! If you are a fan of Rallisport Challenge 2, Mario Kart, and PGR, then this game will make you moan with joy. Damn, where did the last three hours go?

DonMigs85

Square Triangle said:
Nope, I have the game and the install size is actually 3791MB.

chixdiggit

I honestly have no desire to even play the single player in this game. Am I missing out on anything? From the three or so races I did do it seems no different than the online multiplayer.

Sysgen

chixdiggit said:
I honestly have no desire to even play the single player in this game. Am I missing out on anything? From the three or so races I did do it seems no different than the online multiplayer.

The cars you win from the one on one races you can use in m/p. That's it. They're already leveled so you can't level them any further.

Just started playing this the other night. Not being able to pick a class, a car and a track in a single player race/exhibition mode (single player) is a serious bummer to me. =(

Good multiplayer is always a nice bonus but it's SP I care about in racing games and its disappointing to see all SP is in this game is a series of playlists, like Motorstorm 1, and nothing else.

Maybe these kinds of options will come out in a patch but I doubt it.

Just picked this up today and I haven't had this much fun with a racer in a long, long time. Just a ton of fun. I hope this game sells well or at least continues to have an active online community. Easily the most fun game I've bought all year....

see5harp

SonOfABeep said:

It's actually not that far removed from the PGR series where you want to (obviously) not hit walls, and how to use the items. Once you memorize the tracks you'll find most of the levels a lot easier to beat. As long as you keep playing and getting fans, you'll eventually unlock faster cars in each class. Don't worry about getting every medal either. As long as you place 3rd or better you can get fan/gate awards on separate runs and they stack.

EDIT: Just realized I forgot to explain the PGR thing. You want to drift to accumulate fans (or kudos), but you want to maintain speed. So it's really about finding the balance on each level and sometimes getting lucky with items. You definitely don't wanna be drifting on every turn on the later levels.

I'll give it another shot but it does not feel like PGR. it's much more Need for Speed like where you really feel like you're fighting against the car or just plain slowing to a stop in many turns. Or grinding the wall. I probably just need to spend more time with it.

Frustrates me when I'm in last place, trying to catch up, sitting on a shield and two of the wave/area attack things that do me no good at all.

I like seeing the powerups as you approach them, but the game could have used some Mario Kart style random item boxes that generate speed boosts for the guys in last place or mines for the guys in first or something. Would help keep the tension up and races closer, I think. As it is I seem to get stuck with a lot of items that are just not useful.

see5harp

SonOfABeep said:
I'll give it another shot but it does not feel like PGR. it's much more Need for Speed like where you really feel like you're fighting against the car or just plain slowing to a stop in many turns. Or grinding the wall. I probably just need to spend more time with it.

Frustrates me when I'm in last place, trying to catch up, sitting on a shield and two of the wave/area attack things that do me no good at all.

I like seeing the powerups as you approach them, but the game could have used some Mario Kart style random item boxes that generate speed boosts for the guys in last place or mines for the guys in first or something. Would help keep the tension up and races closer, I think. As it is I seem to get stuck with a lot of items that are just not useful.

You are right about the feel, but trust me, there are intricacies. Even with a A class car I'm pulling the most insane perfect drifts around extremely wide turns. It's sorta about finding the sweet spot on the gas as you are turning around. At some point you'll have the cars to gold those levels. Just make sure you're continuing after a race instead of restarting. For some reason it seems like it doesn't count your fans unless you completely finish the race.

Konosuke

Anybody have any hints to complete the over 120mph Showdown Demand? I'm really loving the game but that demand is bugging me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sysgen said:
Windows 7 64 here; no hitching.
What hardware are you using? What is your audio chipset?

It doesn't make any damn sense. It definitely isn't lack of horsepower. There is something causing this.

Any way to change the KB in the PC version to your liking? Your forced to choose between two pre determined layouts?

Well my KB doesn't have a right control......

DonMigs85

MonthOLDpickle said:
Any way to change the KB in the PC version to your liking? Your forced to choose between two pre determined layouts?

Well my KB doesn't have a right control......
Keyboards suck for racing games. I suggest picking up a 360 controller or a racing wheel.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
I was wondering if they just never left the room after reaching level 10. Pretty much every room I was in in that mode had two or three dudes winning every race because of this.

Klocker

INTERNET said:
I was wondering if they just never left the room after reaching level 10. Pretty much every room I was in in that mode had two or three dudes winning every race because of this.

yep, that's how they do it... just keeping the box on and keep leveling up

Neuromancer said:
Just started playing this the other night. Not being able to pick a class, a car and a track in a single player race/exhibition mode (single player) is a serious bummer to me. =(

Maybe these kinds of options will come out in a patch but I doubt it.

The custom race options in MP are feck-awesome. But you need two people so you need a friend who has this and you can set up random power ups and all sorts of custom chit.

Really really wish they would allow that in SP with
AI.

INTERNET said:

I think its even easier than that, if they have a less than level 10 friend who can invite them in they can get in that way. Thats how I managed to get low level friends into the super races in the beta. I dont know why anyone would want to do it the other way round though, class D stuff was just slow.

Klocker

bobs99 ... said:
I think its even easier than that, if they have a less than level 10 friend who can invite them in they can get in that way. Thats how I managed to get low level friends into the super races in the beta. I dont know why anyone would want to do it the other way round though, class D stuff was just slow.

that sucks for newbies but you can get to level 10 in one night

Sysgen

Konosuke said:
Anybody have any hints to complete the over 120mph Showdown Demand? I'm really loving the game but that demand is bugging me.

San Francisco / Megan Trophy

SonOfABeep said:

The diversity of cars is large enough where you can find something you're comfortable with. Cars like the Focus RS (Race) with heavy emphasis on grip will allow you to take corners like a pro. Additionally cars can be leveled merely by using them so that you can increase their health and grip.

SonOfABeep said:

I like seeing the power ups as you approach them, but the game could have used some Mario Kart style random item boxes that generate speed boosts for the guys in last place or mines for the guys in first or something. Would help keep the tension up and races closer, I think. As it is I seem to get stuck with a lot of items that are just not useful.

Manage your power ups more efficiently, work out different strategies of power up combos depending on the situation. There's a reason there are no random power ups. Knowing the track and power up placements you can plan accordingly and take the appropriate racing line to the power up that you need. Additionally you can hold power ups so why do you need randomness? Also, there are mods that help, like generating your own Nitro on a drift or getting a Nitro as you complete each lap or the quick start/boost after wrecking or getting a random power up after wrecking and at the start of the race. The game is pretty deep, one of the reasons it is so addicting.

dark10x said:
What hardware are you using? What is your audio chipset?

It doesn't make any damn sense. It definitely isn't lack of horsepower. There is something causing this.

Description: Realtek High Definition Audio
Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.5859 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Date and Size: 5/23/2009 03:04:22, 1762080 bytes

Class_A_Ninja said:
Has anyone invested time into the licensed or regular soundtrack? The regular soundtrack wasn't really making itself noticed so I switched to licensed currently. I'm wondering if either is better.

I just realized that turning the licensed music off turns the music off. That is probably why I didn't find the "regular" soundtrack to stand out very well. It is confusing, because some of the events do have music when the licensed soundtrack is turned off.

INTERNET said:
I can understand 2-3 levels above but 41? He's either achievement fishing or simply doesn't like to lose. They really need to lock people out once they've reached the appropriate level.

Klocker

Class_A_Ninja said:
I just realized that turning the licensed music off turns the music off. That is probably why I didn't find the "regular" soundtrack to stand out very well. It is confusing, because some of the events do have music when the licensed soundtrack is turned off.

licensed music is adrenaline pumping ... like it, reminds of the old Wipeout days

Dibbz

Just played Blur today and gotta say it's amazing. Not had so much fun with an arcade racer since Burnout. Feels like a good mix between that and Wiepout which I didn't think would work well but was totally wrong on that.

It's a good looking game to but seems like it's not HD on the PS3, probably isn't which would be a shame but whatever. Still looks really good for how much is going on screen.

28682_10150192530545696_678130695_12742936_865019_n.jpg

Photomode ftw although it's retarded that you cannot export the photos to the XMB. I'd rather not upload to their site or facebook but rather flickr.

Klocker

Dibbz said:
It's a good looking game to but seems like it's not HD on the PS3, probably isn't which would be a shame but whatever. Still looks really good for how much is going on screen. .

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-blur-face-off
this appreciation is only strengthened when you experience the scale of the technical achievement on offer: full 720p resolution, high levels of anti-aliasing, up to 20 cars on-screen at any point, a large, highly detailed rear-view mirror, masses of post-processing effects, no LOD popping. The list goes on.

...For Blur, the 360 version actually runs with 4x MSAA - the best the machine's hardware is realistically capable of delivering. n PS3, but for Blur Bizarre has opted for 2x MSAA with a half-pixel, bilinear-filtered edge blur.

Dibbz

That's good to know but something about it seems off. Just seems really blurry (mind the pun) Anyways it's not going to get in my way of enjoying the game since it's the best racer out at the moment.

I hope other racers take note from Blur on how to do online right. Matchmaking and beginner lobbies help a crap load. Doesn't hurt that their menus are designed really well either.

mr stroke

Dibbz said:
That's good to know but something about it seems off. Just seems really blurry (mind the pun) Anyways it's not going to get in my way of enjoying the game since it's the best racer out at the moment.

I hope other racers take note from Blur on how to do online right. Matchmaking and beginner lobbies help a crap load. Doesn't hurt that their menus are designed really well either.

+1

I hope other games in general learn from Blur's online. The Matchmaking and netcode to the lobbies with voice chat and avatars is awesome. Probably one of the best online systems around and way ahead of anything in the racing genre.

see5harp

Class_A_Ninja said:

I actually prefer the game with the music turned off. Some of the sound effects are amazing in surround.

Kifimbo

Is it me, or is this game really hard, even on normal ? The first two series were fine, but I can't win a race after that. Can't even finish third. Sadly, it's a walk in the park on easy. There is no middle ground.

KaYotiX

Banned
Kifimbo said:
Is it me, or is this game really hard, even on normal ? The first two series were fine, but I can't win a race after that. Can't even finish third. Sadly, it's a walk in the park on easy. There is no middle ground.
Sadly most racers suffer from that.......I do like the challenge though so I can deal with it.

rinker

Anyone have some good tips for meeting the fan target on destruction events? I have no problem getting 20-30 points over the 5 lights requirement, but usually that isn't enough and I'm still a couple hundred short. I usually do the fan runs because that's an extra 200 or so, but I still come up short.

Top Bottom