• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blur |OT|

Just picked this up tonight for 360.

First impression after a few races: I am blown away. I was going to pass on this game, but after reading such positive impressions here, I thought I would trade a couple games in and get it. I do already have Split/Second, and they are so totally different and so BOTH worth owning. The graphics are hot, the music rocks, and I'm about to try out multi-player.

Quick note: Out of ~75 Live friends, apparently none of them have this game, as my first few SP races have put me #1 on the "friends leaderboard" with no other friends in sight. Fail. I will spread the good word.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Just picked this up tonight for 360.

First impression after a few races: I am blown away. I was going to pass on this game, but after reading such positive impressions here, I thought I would trade a couple games in and get it. I do already have Split/Second, and they are so totally different and so BOTH worth owning. The graphics are hot, the music rocks, and I'm about to try out multi-player.

Quick note: Out of ~75 Live friends, apparently none of them have this game, as my first few SP races have put me #1 on the "friends leaderboard" with no other friends in sight. Fail. I will spread the good word.

Yes, yes you should spread the word.

Aside from the release window clusterfuck, I think the swampy sea of racing games on the 360 tends to damn most games to obscurity. Blur is one of those "games you never knew you needed." Once people actually play it, their brains flip out of their skulls and wriggle around wetly on the pavement.

Wait until you get a load of multiplayer. It's a whole other game; Blur is effectively two games in one. (I side with those who feel the career mode is awesome and an extremely fleshed out game of its own accord.)

I agree Blur is simply amazing enjoyable and a highlight of racing games this generation. Wish Activision would of gave a damn and actually marketed this more =/

I'm just starting out online, and I don't understand how there can be a RANK 31 player in the first room that is supposed to be RANK 1-10 ONLY. And of course he has a huge winning streak.

I remember hearing a lot about glitches and connection problems for Blur PS3, has this been solved? And are games "you only have to wait 5 minutes, tops.." or is it pretty populated online?

I need to know.

jonnybryce said:
I remember hearing a lot about glitches and connection problems for Blur PS3, has this been solved? And are games "you only have to wait 5 minutes, tops.." or is it pretty populated online?

I need to know.

I've only had 1 game in 25 where there were connection problems. Basically everyone but me and the winner got disconnected.

Rooms I'm in tend to fill up. People seem to be OK with waiting for a race to end, which means rooms tend to get full. I'll have a race start with 4 people, and we'll come back to the lobby to find a full room. At that point the people stick around. There has always been about 500-600 people online when I'm playing at odd hours.

You get in a a room pretty quick, but if you are waiting for the race to end it can take a little bit of time. If you stay in there, it is more likely the next person will too.

Dibbz

mescalineeyes said:
thank you. I am still a little mad at IGN for calling the menus tacky.
IGN is bloody tacky.

I had to return it today but am itching to play it some more. The game was seriously so much fun. It's a shame it was swamped at release since I think it would have done really well through word of mouth if people weren't talking about how good Red Dead Redemption was.

Oh and why does this thread lack pictures? You guys need to get some up ASAP!

After playing this online for a few days, this might be the best online racing experience I've had since Burnout 3.

I'm not fucking around here.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
DoctorWho said:
After playing this online for a few days, this might be the best online racing experience I've had since Burnout 3.

I'm not fucking around here.

It is already that. This is arcade racing at its finest.

Kifimbo

Yeah I'm also in love. I barely touched ModNation Racers since I got Blur. ModNation Racers is also a good game, but the loading times are awful.

Kifimbo said:
Yeah I'm also in love. I barely touched ModNation Racers since I got Blur. ModNation Racers is also a good game, but the loading times are awful.

Same. The "jump in and play" factor of a game should not be underestimated. From the time I boot to the time I'm in a lobby/game is really fast.

DoctorWho said:
Same. The "jump in and play" factor of a game should not be underestimated. From the time I boot to the time I'm in a lobby/game is really fast.

Plus you're constantly battered with acknowledgements of accomplishment. From the 'Previously On Blur' to the countdown of pretty much every Shunt or Bolt ever used, it's just such a compelling experience.

DenogginizerOS said:
This is absolutely one of the finer gems of this generation. Bravo, Bizarre!

I said it before, but I can't agree more. This game deserves so much praise and it's a shame there aren't more people playing. Granted, when I've been on there's about 2.5k people on (which is fine for the purposes of racing against other people), but for how good this game is I feel like it should be the game EVERYONE is playing and is talking about.

It's just so much fun and that's the bottomline. You jump into races, there is little to no down time, and whether you come in last/near last or first there's always the sense of "just one more" or "well I'll do better next time." There's strategy, luck, and skill all involved in winning. Granted, car selection plays a role in winning, but it's typically pretty small. Plenty of the time lower ranked racers beat people who are ranked quite highly. To me, this speaks volumes for how balanced the game is. And with the added concept of mods to personalize your racing style, this game is over the top perfect.

No complaints at all for this game. I liked the Burnout series, but am head over heals about Blur. Do yourself a treat and buy Blur for a one of a kind awesome multiplayer experience. TBH, I have yet to play the SP because the multiplayer is such a draw.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I'm just starting out online, and I don't understand how there can be a RANK 31 player in the first room that is supposed to be RANK 1-10 ONLY. And of course he has a huge winning streak.

I'm not sure exactly, but I think if you start out in the beginner and never leave (meaning you level from rank 1 to whatever without exiting out) it doesn't kick you out. Though, once you exit out of beginner lobby and are higher than rank 10, the option to join the beginner lobby doesn't exist anymore. I remember not leaving the beginner lobby until I was rank 12 or so.

berva

Neo Member
Having a blast with this, finished the single player career and have been hooked on multiplayer for the past few days. I agree this is a gem. :D

Sysgen

Played for few hours the other night and I looked at the session scoreboard and it said I ran 33 races. WHAT! Just one race after another.

Also for those having issues with higher level drivers the pit maneuver works very well, coupled with the ram mod and that should slow him down a bit.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I have 447/450 lights, and I just can't get the fan target on 3 destruction events. Really frustrating.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I've beaten 7 of the 9 one-on-ones and have most of the cars unlocked in single-player (level 21). I'm working now to get the 8th one-on-one unlocked, and who's the 9th one-on-one battle against?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
twinturbo2 said:
I've beaten 7 of the 9 one-on-ones and have most of the cars unlocked in single-player (level 21). I'm working now to get the 8th one-on-one unlocked, and who's the 9th one-on-one battle against?
Shannon again

Not sure if that is really a spoiler.. since the game doesn't have any form of story.

I gave in and picked this up today.

It's the most fun I've had in a long, long time. So much better than Modnation, too.

Just gotta work on my drifting...

I'm sure this may have been asked before..

Is there a reliable way to drift and is it worth it?

I know cars with less grip are better drifting cars, but it seems when I drift I lose speed and would be better off just braking slightly and finding a better line or grinding the wall. When I've drifted I tend to spin out or lose a lot of speed and my best near drifts are not when I use the handbrake (as the game suggests) but when I slightly use the regular brake and then corner. The only time drifting seems beneficial is to avoid shunts with the ECM mod.

So yeah, is there a way to drift and not lose speed and/or is drifting in this game even worth it? I don't see many people drifting successfully because there's so much contact/action going on during the race.

Activision needs to do something, and I hope they have it in their plan to do so, but a quick drop right now to $39.99 is a MUST. I mean, 1700 players online? On a weekend? On the 360? Pathetic.

JaxJag

Banned
Sorry if it was already posted, but Kmart has Blur and Split Second on sale this week for 39.99.

Hopefully the game has a long tail, and sells on word of mouth.

It's so good...

OJdaKiller said:
I'm sure this may have been asked before..

Is there a reliable way to drift and is it worth it?

I know cars with less grip are better drifting cars, but it seems when I drift I lose speed and would be better off just braking slightly and finding a better line or grinding the wall. When I've drifted I tend to spin out or lose a lot of speed and my best near drifts are not when I use the handbrake (as the game suggests) but when I slightly use the regular brake and then corner. The only time drifting seems beneficial is to avoid shunts with the ECM mod.

So yeah, is there a way to drift and not lose speed and/or is drifting in this game even worth it? I don't see many people drifting successfully because there's so much contact/action going on during the race.

Well slowing down while drifting is realistic. But this game drifting seems pointless unless you trying to avoid a head on collusion. Game isn't that bad with a keyboard either.

JaxJag said:
Sorry if it was already posted, but Kmart has Blur and Split Second on sale this week for 39.99.

Hopefully the game has a long tail, and sells on word of mouth.

It's so good...

LOL even when Kmart tries to be awesome, they still fail...

2kits2.png

wujxwx.png

Uncle AJ

I think I'll pick this up tomorrow. K-mart deal looks good but I just came into some Best Buy gift cards that need spending immediately.

Question for those playing/loving the game right now: what's the average player count for online matches? I'm really excited by the proposition of 20-man races, but I've been burned by long matchmaking times and underdeveloped communities in online games before.

Klocker

To the people complaining about SP being too tough
IGN
... well I am finally playing through it and it rocks. Yes it does not have the smooth transition through career like a Forza, yes you need to repeat tracks and events to get good and win.

It is actually teaching me how to maybe win someday online. It needs to be tough because online is tougher. (I have played online since launch and have yet to win a race) :lol

REMINDER:

MP demo is back on XBL in case you missed it

ZeoVGM

Banned
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Activision needs to do something, and I hope they have it in their plan to do so, but a quick drop right now to $39.99 is a MUST. I mean, 1700 players online? On a weekend? On the 360? Pathetic.

Well I've seen it hit 3000 at some points. Still, I wish more people were on.

omg rite said:
Well I've seen it hit 3000 at some points. Still, I wish more people were on.

Yeah, it's about 2000-3000 on weekend on the 360, which is not too bad I think. I also agree this game has the best multiplayer set-up. Forza team could learn a thing or two from these guys.

is there a gaf blur tag? IF not, someone should make it. I want more people to play with! Easily the most addictive racer I have played in a long time.

Fortinbras said:
Amazing images.

Some of those pics really make me wish this game had a NFS Underground style modding system.

Whats the multiplayer population like on this game, I might finally be able to pick it up for Xbox next week, will I be able to get matches quickly?

S1kkZ

bobs99 ... said:
Some of those pics really make me wish this game had a NFS Underground style modding system.

Whats the multiplayer population like on this game, I might finally be able to pick it up for Xbox next week, will I be able to get matches quickly?
yes you will. i never had any problems getting into a game.

Barnzini

Neo Member
Is there something wrong with the ps3 version? Played for a few hours and im on level 12 and have had at least 5-6 total system freezes just after the race finishes heading back into the lobby.

It's happened to pretty much everyone else i know on my list playing this. Shame since its the only downer on what is a fun game.

Barnzini said:
Is there something wrong with the ps3 version? Played for a few hours and im on level 12 and have had at least 5-6 total system freezes just after the race finishes heading back into the lobby.

It's happened to pretty much everyone else i know on my list playing this. Shame since its the only downer on what is a fun game.

Hmm. I've never had a single freeze on my way to level 17 or so. I have a slim, so do you think it is an old vs. new thing?

Oh man, I just moved house to Cardiff from Edinburgh. Unpack the ps3 ready for some Blur action to break up unpacking. Game crashes, and now my ps3 won't turn on. I think it was damaged in the move :(

see5harp

MonthOLDpickle said:
Well slowing down while drifting is realistic. But this game drifting seems pointless unless you trying to avoid a head on collusion. Game isn't that bad with a keyboard either.

Drifting is totally not pointless....it's one of the best ways to either link or end a combo. In some of the latter checkpoints and destruction events it's one of the only ways to ensure you hit the Fan Target.

Sysgen

see5harp said:
Drifting is totally not pointless....it's one of the best ways to either link or end a combo. In some of the latter checkpoints and destruction events it's one of the only ways to ensure you hit the Fan Target.

Haven't tried it yet as I just tend to corner like in Forza but I'll make a guess that the cars marked Drifty and Very Drifty are for (as in PGR) drifting around a corner and maintaing your speed. There is also a mod that awards a Nitro for this.

Why the fuck are 11+ allowed in the 1-10 beginner room?

Yeah, level 42 and 34, you're going to win all the races against people who just got the game. Don't you feel cool!

Top Bottom