• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blur |OT|

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Violater said:
Just picked this up at Best By for $20

I picked it up for $10.

Only played 2 single player races, seems fun even though I hated the demo. Online is really dead? I guess it should get revitalized with the recent sales

Osietra

Banned
Vizionblind said:
multiplayer is dead
Yeah. Depressing stiff.

360 owner here, and seeing the paucity of people playing this everytime I boot it up makes me wonder about the so called 'Kotick effect'.

Got it for $20 at Best Buy. Ran into bad luck with cashiers so couldn't get it for $10 with the Reward Zone coupon.

Got a code for Dodge Viper DLC with my purchase, neat.

Wario64 said:
I picked it up for $10.

Only played 2 single player races, seems fun even though I hated the demo. Online is really dead? I guess it should get revitalized with the recent sales

I rented it last week. The first few races I was like, um, ok. But the game really picks up in the next wave of tracks. It's a fun game.

I feel sorry for Bizarre having spent so much time on this game to have the online die so fast, but it was to be expected imo, I could see it a mile off... plus the beta probably burned out a few gamers who played it for a good month+

Just like the pgr series only fans will be interested and real cars + combat = mixed reactions to the market for like a year before the beta was out.

Did they ever fix the balance problems with online weapons and the mid-pack always fighting each other while the leaders power ahead?

BigAT

Just picked up a PS3 copy for $10 yesterday, absolutely impossible to turn it down at that price.

Is anyone on PS3 still playing? I'm looking to find someone for friend rivals and such.

U2NUMB

BigAT said:
Just picked up a PS3 copy for $10 yesterday, absolutely impossible to turn it down at that price.

Is anyone on PS3 still playing? I'm looking to find someone for friend rivals and such.

Any issues getting both coupons to discount the sale price? Did the blur 20 bucks off coupon scan at best buy? ( I will be picking up the PS3 version here soon... add me on PSN: U2NUMB)

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I am going to get this for 10 bucks at Best Buy at lunch today along with Alan Wake.

I should get atleast 10 bucks of enjoyment out of it.

Pete Rock

darkressurection said:
Hopefully this $20 off coupons gives the game a big boost in sales. It really deserves to do well.
$20 is a steal, agreed. I've spent worse on crappy DLC, unfortunately. 360 online is just fine, still between 2-3k every evening, which isn't stellar but is sufficient for quick matchmaking. Buy this game!

BigAT

U2NUMB said:
Any issues getting both coupons to discount the sale price? Did the blur 20 bucks off coupon scan at best buy? ( I will be picking up the PS3 version here soon... add me on PSN: U2NUMB)
A little. The cashier looked at both of the coupons for a while and called over another employee to make sure that they were still taking the manufacturer's coupon. It went alright from there though.

Make sure you give them the game, then your rewards card, then the rewards coupon and finally the manufacturer's coupon. That order has seemed to have had the most success for people (and worked for me).

U2NUMB

BigAT said:
A little. The cashier looked at both of the coupons for a while and called over another employee to make sure that they were still taking the manufacturer's coupon. It went alright from there though.

Make sure you give them the game, then your rewards card, then the rewards coupon and finally the manufacturer's coupon. That order has seemed to have had the most success for people (and worked for me).

Thanks for the tips.. I will do just that here over lunch.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Diablohead said:
I feel sorry for Bizarre having spent so much time on this game to have the online die so fast, but it was to be expected imo, I could see it a mile off... plus the beta probably burned out a few gamers who played it for a good month+

Just like the pgr series only fans will be interested and real cars + combat = mixed reactions to the market for like a year before the beta was out.

Did they ever fix the balance problems with online weapons and the mid-pack always fighting each other while the leaders power ahead?
I know, I want this multiplayer to love on for a while. I almost never enjoy multiplayer gaming these days, but I can't get enough Blur. This is one of the most exciting and enjoyable racing experiences I've had in years.

dark10x said:
I know, I want this multiplayer to love on for a while. I almost never enjoy multiplayer gaming these days, but I can't get enough Blur. This is one of the most exciting and enjoyable racing experiences I've had in years.

This. Blur will be in my game rotation for awhile. While Ive only finished first once in like 200 races (and completely dont understand how people win over and over in 20 person lobbies), Im STILL having one of the best gaming experiences this gen with this game. Some of the most thrilling battles Ive had is edging out someone for 16th place in a highly contested battle between the last 4-5 cars. :lol

Yopis

Got this for 20 the other day for 360 how many are still online? My buddie got this for ps3 and yesterday afternoon they had around 800 online. Hope more people are on the 360 at least. I just didn't want to play this with a ps3 controller.

U2NUMB

Just got back.. picked it up for 10 bucks at best buy. Worked like a charm but make sure you use the order posted above so you have no trouble.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
U2NUMB said:
Just got back.. picked it up for 10 bucks at best buy. Worked like a charm but make sure you use the order posted above so you have no trouble.

I got it for 20 this morning. I was on "break" from work and tried the 2 coupon deal. There was only one cashier who was brand new to the store. Everything was up on the screen and she was like, "I better ask my manager about this." The manager said that she could only do the $20 off, not the Best Buy reward zone coupon. They couldn't be used together, she said. I had to get back to work so I didn't have time to argue.

I did call customer service later who is sending me a $20 gift card because the manager screwed up. According to them, there is no reason they shouldn't take both coupons and apply it to the sale price. The only reason they wouldn't be accepted is if the coupon exceeded the price of the purchase.

Picked this up during lunch for 10 bucks. The girl scanned the reward zone coupon without a second thought. She paused on the Manufacturers coupon for a few moments then shrugged and scanned it as well. What a deal.

bridegur

U2NUMB said:

Would you mind posting the order? I can't look at SlickDeals at work.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
BigAT said:

You can add me, Wario64

Mostly just playing single player right now, but I'm going straight on hard difficulty

I just checked PS3 online and there's about 950 or so people playing right now.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Reward zone card. Reward zone coupon. Let them total the purchase. Then hand them the manufacturers coupon.

And if they try to scan the manufacturer coupon and say it doesnt work, suggest them to key it in. They have to key it in, the coupon doesnt really scan and mark it down.

Jjgbjhhnkhgki too bad my best buy has dicks as employees, they said "it's either one or the other" for the coupon :/
kinda was hoping to pick it up for $10 + taxes
the other best buys near Boston are sold out, guess it works there, too bad

Might just bite for $20

Blueblur1

HadesGigas said:
Got it for $20 at Best Buy. Ran into bad luck with cashiers so couldn't get it for $10 with the Reward Zone coupon.

Got a code for Dodge Viper DLC with my purchase, neat.
Same here. I was so close to going with a cashier who probably wouldn't have given a shit but I got some snooty girl. Anyway, it's a steal for $20.

If anyone wants to add me on Live my GT is Total Sacrifice.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So far this game is a steal for $10. $20 I would still reconsider buying it but $10 is a no brainer from what I've played so far.

On the 360 the online community might be considered dead because there aren't 10k people playing at one time, but for the purposes of finding a 20 player race, I have yet to have a problem finding one and I typically play really late at night/early AM.

Fortunately, I have yet to run into any sort of hackers or glitchers. And as far as winning races with any regularity as someone else mentioned, at first I wondered the same thing (how do they do it?), but now (Rank Legend 1/37 current) I consistently do well and typically win a few packed races every night.

Seems to be about: Number one-Finding cars you like to drive and how they control. Number two-Learning the tracks (very important) and where certain powerups are. Number three-Picking a good mod setup (I use the nitro every lap, the decoy mod, and shunt evasion mod). Number four-Getting the upgrades maxed out with the cars you use most often. Number Five-Some luck. If you get stuck in the middle of the pack and can't jump out to front, or are in the front, get wrecked and then have a pack of people come by and wreck your shit again, you probably won't win.

Bottomline-Can't say it enough. Awesome game. I honestly think that this game is so good, despite it's slow start, this may be a game that the word of mouth spreads and the community grows a bit over time, or at very least, the community it has won't leave because they've experienced what a fun and well thought out game Blur is. Buy it....At a high price!!!:D

Flunkie

Banned
I wish I had a Best Buy close. Would any kind soul grab me a copy for $10 and I'll pay you for it, shipping and all?

bridegur

Wow, I got this for $12, and I feel like I would have been happy had I paid $50. I'm having a lot of fun so far; it reminds me quite a bit of the Rush games.

Surprised how many people are giving this game a go now. I thought it would be a hit out of the gate, but atleast they're getting more people interested with that coupon deal. If they were smart they'd lower the price instore permanently after the coupons have gone out for people who aren't tech savy or involved online to keep sales going and recruit more people online.

It really is an awesome game. And I like it a lot more than Modnation Racers (sorry but it's true).

Guys, finally got my copy in the mail. What a blast! Jumped online straight up and got stuck into the carnage. Very enjoyable, and while I was apprehensive of a weightier driving model (I'm on PS3, no beta for me), it's exactly the kind of heft you want for a game like this.

Cannot applaud Bizarre enough for how amazingly balanced the weapons are.

Big thumbs up. I'll do my part to sell this ridiculous notion to other folks. Hooked!

AwRy108

I grabbed this for $20 yesterday during the K-Mart sale, and I actually feel kinda guilty: it's a good game!

It's a shame that Split/Second pulled people's attention away, because Blur really is the superior game. Split/Second is a cool concept, but it doesn't have the legs that Blur has.

Oh, and I love how the online has a very Modern Warfare-esque XP system to it. Wild!

Pete Rock

OJdaKiller said:
On the 360 the online community might be considered dead because there aren't 10k people playing at one time, but for the purposes of finding a 20 player race, I have yet to have a problem finding one and I typically play really late at night/early AM.
Usually roll around 4-8 CST and most I've seen is around 3K, similarly I've seen no substantial matchmaking problems in the 20 player races.

Seems to be about: Number one-Finding cars you like to drive and how they control. Number two-Learning the tracks (very important) and where certain powerups are. Number three-Picking a good mod setup (I use the nitro every lap, the decoy mod, and shunt evasion mod). Number four-Getting the upgrades maxed out with the cars you use most often. Number Five-Some luck. If you get stuck in the middle of the pack and can't jump out to front, or are in the front, get wrecked and then have a pack of people come by and wreck your shit again, you probably won't win.
Agreed, used the same setup for a long time. Another thing that has impressed me over time is how important avoiding collisions with other cars and walls can be. If I manage to break out through 8 players without getting barged to death during a quick turn sequence with a nitro stashed it's as good as over. Session scoreboard is also really cool and nice feedback if you've been racing in the same lobby for a while, great to see how everyone is doing relative to one another with the way driver score is calculated in those large races.

Bottomline-Can't say it enough. Awesome game. I honestly think that this game is so good, despite it's slow start, this may be a game that the word of mouth spreads and the community grows a bit over time, or at very least, the community it has won't leave because they've experienced what a fun and well thought out game Blur is. Buy it....At a high price!!!:D
I haven't had an ounce of buyers remorse since day one, I'm still amazed at a few friends who are managing to hold out at $20. I'm about to just buy three of them copies and get it over with :lol

JohngPR

Was going to post the deal here but I guess it already has been. Worked for me too, got the game for $9.99 plus tax.

:D

Top Bottom