• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
the only thing that I hate and annoys me the most from B2 is the family guy dialogue between original vault hunters...its not funny at all. I almost threw my control at the screen cuz it was so goddamn corny. non-comical and so lazy...I guess .Gearbox most likely hired the same manatees from south park to write B2's dialogue...

Megasoum

Banned
Finally finished the game.

I don't really like how the loot is handled for the last boss. I wish it was just a bunch of chests instead of a shower of loot. Especially since there's some complex features in that level design and half the loot goes inside the floor.

Also the fact that the boss falls over his loot and you can't clip through it? Meh.

Also, anybody got the link for the stats behind the red text? I had it open yesterday but I lost it.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
the only thing that I hate and annoys me the most from B2 is the family guy dialogue between original vault hunters...its not funny at all. I almost threw my control at the screen cuz it was so goddamn corny. non-comical and so lazy...I guess .Gearbox most likely hired the same manatees from south park to write B2's dialogue...
No the worst thing is zeros skill catch phrase "you set off my trap card". If it wasn't funny the first time, why the fuck would it be funny the next 1000 times. Goddamit.

CTE

It's actually Anthony Burch. Creator of "Hey Ash, Whatcha playin'?"

No the worst thing is zeros skill catch phrase "you set off my trap card". If it wasn't funny the first time, why the fuck would it be funny the next 1000 times. Goddamit.

That shit is annoying as fuck

Probably the main reason I switched to a Siren

Would have been nice if he spoke only in Haiku like his background ECHOs suggested

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
She's fine in normal firefights, her DPS is just abysmal for the purposes of boss farming, which is what I'm doing at the moment. It takes me about three or four "pops" of Terra (meaning the number of times for him to emerge from underground) for me to kill him solo, whereas I've seen videos of Gunzerkers doing it in under 10 secs.

What I'm getting at here is that without trash mobs to phaselock, she loses a ton of DPS. She can't even phaselock regular threshers, much less Terra or it's tentacles.

It really is lol

And I doubt she's ever going to be the pure glass cannon she used to be. But she's a waaaaaay better healer than Roland ever was and survivability is a lot better than what most would expect too.

I think I need to take a break. TVHM went from mildly entertaining to frustrating to boring very quickly. Anything Badass or above hits for 20 - 30k but has more than 200k HP and solo I can never get a second wind because they down me so fast then just run away.

I really enjoyed my first playthrough, but TVHM is burning through goodwill very fast. I can't even begin to imagine what a flame thresher is going to do to my household relationships.

No doubt a lot of this is just shit imbalance in NG+, but unfortunately the inability to mute and skip dialog and cutscenes kills any desire to start a different character at lvl 1. I blame my obsessive personality for burning through a great game so quickly, but I expect I will revisit it once some substantial DLC is released.

Please Gearbox, let me skip through dialog. I know you are probably very happy with it, and Handsome Jack is pretty much the best villain of the generation, but Roland, Lilith, Tiny Tina, Scooter, Ellie and Marcus are crappy characters that I don't want to listen to more than I have to.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

I rather have Dane Cook write the dialogue than Burch...thats how horrible it is...even Carlos Mencia would've done somethin better

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I rather have Dane Cook write the dialogue than Burch...thats how horrible it is...even Carlos Mencia would've done somethin better
Nah, Burch is alright. Some genuinely amazing parts in the game.

He hasn't shamed entire art forms like those other guys.

It's not all great, but there's nothing terrible that I've heard yet. Some of the most refreshingly funny writing I've heard in a video game.

I'm honestly at a point where I question the sanity of developers with this kind of shit. If you're not going to include at least 200 little fucking catchphrases for your characters, just don't do any at all. Have they never played a game from the past 5 years? Hearing the same 50 or so lines over 30+ hours is so bloody annoying.

200 is fucking bare minimum, too.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Plus he had no part in the player character dialogue I believe.
i hope not. the only good part of the dialogue are the little things. still love tiny tina though <3

although GB podcast did kinda kill my hype. it was almost like glass shattering, or when you tell a kid when santa doesn't exist.

i hope not. the only good part of the dialogue are the little things. still love tiny tina though <3

although GB podcast did kinda kill my hype. it was almost like glass shattering, or when you tell a kid when santa doesn't exist.

If he wasn't in charge of dialogue I'm sure he wrote Tina since Ashley Burch voiced her.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Does anyone on PS3 have a Conference Call shotgun they can dupe for me or trade for my "The Bee" shield?

I literally just made a trade with someone from the Gearbox forums, got the gun, and my game crashed thanks to the autosave glitch/freeze. Now I'm very sad and I want my gun back :(

Someone help me out PLEASE <3

Helscream

Banned
I think I need to take a break. TVHM went from mildly entertaining to frustrating to boring very quickly. Anything Badass or above hits for 20 - 30k but has more than 200k HP and solo I can never get a second wind because they down me so fast then just run away.

I really enjoyed my first playthrough, but TVHM is burning through goodwill very fast. I can't even begin to imagine what a flame thresher is going to do to my household relationships.

No doubt a lot of this is just shit imbalance in NG+, but unfortunately the inability to mute and skip dialog and cutscenes kills any desire to start a different character at lvl 1. I blame my obsessive personality for burning through a great game so quickly, but I expect I will revisit it once some substantial DLC is released.

Please Gearbox, let me skip through dialog. I know you are probably very happy with it, and Handsome Jack is pretty much the best villain of the generation, but Roland, Lilith, Tiny Tina, Scooter, Ellie and Marcus are crappy characters that I don't want to listen to more than I have to.

Well if there is one thing I can comment on concerning Borderlands its difficulty. I noticed in Borderlands 1 certain enemies (mainly humanoid) who could wield firearms seem to be the most threatening. I think it had to do with the fact that even though they mainly would drop white/green weapons. If their damage was calculated with those weapons it would explain why that could kill you so fast. Where as compared to enemies like spiderants or skags seemed to do reasonable damage, but nothing insane. I think Borderlands 2 is a bit harder overall with TVHM.

Another thing to think about is your PC health and the NPC health. Also considering the damage of your weapons compared to the damage of the NPC. Enemies generally have a lot more health then you do, but do very little damage. You on the other hand deal vastly more damage than your own health/shield pool. This balance seems fine, but if a enemy starts to use a player weapon you can see how their damage would be extremely higher.

Hell I remember trying to do Mad Moxxi's underdome riot in co-op. With all the random handicaps and the sheer amount of hit points certain enemies had it was really frustrating. I think the real issue is compared to Borderlands 1 leveling/scaling/gear/enemies raised at a consistent rate. Where as Borderlands 2 starts to make huge jumps concering enemies and gear when you enter TVHM (after level 32-33). Kinda similiar when you look at World of Warcraft and each expansion creating a huge gap in gear so that level 60 tier 3 gear would loses its potency as you leveled up to 70.

Playing through a second time I would get my ass whooped, then I would find a few chest to farm then once my gear was level appropriate I would continue till I would get my ass whooped again then find some chest to loot repeatedly. Also enemies being able to strafe with decent accuracy while you either get knocked around or your cross hair goes all over the place while trying to fight back. I think the main issue with Borderlands 2 difficulty is it spikes too much.

I would have preferred a Final Fantasy RPG method were every time you access a new zone or area you need to grind a little bit so the next zone is less difficult. The more effort you put forth to gear up and level up the easier the next zone will be. Some games like Kingdoms of Amalur make the mistake of turning you into a god by the end of the game. Thus removing the challenge and fun. Borderlands 2 seems to do the exact opposite. Just when you think your in good shape you get your shit pushed in.

Borderlands 2 is a improvement from Borderlands 1, but the difficulty needs more fine tuning as well as loot tables. I still love the game, but the difficulty still seems very one-dimensional unfortunately. I admire their attempt to add more diversity when it comes to enemy encounters, but so much is based on gear in TVHM skill seems to water down in effectiveness.

Does anyone on PS3 have a Conference Call shotgun they can dupe for me or trade for my "The Bee" shield?

I literally just made a trade with someone from the Gearbox forums, got the gun, and my game crashed thanks to the autosave glitch/freeze. Now I'm very sad and I want my gun back :(

Someone help me out PLEASE <3

Well I just hit level 50 on my Gunzerker. I am doing some chest farming before I progress past Arid Nexus. I'd be willing to set up trading with you if I find anything remarkable. My PSN tag is "Helscream".

Lunchbox

Banned
He said he wrote all of Tina's stuff when he was on Weekend Confirmed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The dialogue is way too tryhard. Dialing it back would have made it more effective.
if you watch one episode of that shit show on gametrailers you'll see where the inspiration for the tina whadz youz doinz garbage comes from

A big problem about the difficulty is that it's a loot game, and getting a great gun should make the game much easier for at least the next few levels. In TVHM for me, it really doesn't, as the enemies are all bullet sponges. Playing solo TVHM is a pain in the ass right now, I'm stopping until one of my friends catch up.

A big problem about the difficulty is that it's a loot game, and getting a great gun should make the game much easier for at least the next few levels. In TVHM for me, it really doesn't, as the enemies are all bullet sponges. Playing solo TVHM is a pain in the ass right now, I'm stopping until one of my friends catch up.

I don't have this problem at all. I assume it comes down to an understanding of the enemies you're fighting and the elements required to easily destroy them. At level 44 I can let the big guys keep leveling themselves up to 50 before I finally kill them, and it's not that difficult. Phaselock, the fire shotgun from turning in the Marcus quest to Moxxi = pure hot death. Other than running into more Badass level enemies and getting much better drops, I'm not seeing a huge difficulty difference in TVHM yet.

ZTthl.jpg

interesting. I'm finding the opposite experience.

I'm finding sniper rifles, AR's ans SMG's that are just putting sombitches to sleep.

Finished Warden in about 40 seconds. Finished the one
guarding that fake power core that you fight after the train crash
in about 75 seconds. I don't even recall him getting a shot off. He was panicked most of the time because my corrosive AR minigun was melting him like a Wizard of Oz witch. Both of those bosses took significantly more time in my first play through, but my weapons are much stronger and I have damn near limitless ammo (maxed everything except shotty ammo).

The only --only-- times I get into trouble are when I get caught slipping by a goliath with a rocket launcher or if I can't seem to shake or otherwise get cornered by a super badass with just enough friends to keep my shields from recharging in between skill cool-downs. It's a pretty rare happening, as evidenced by the $460,000 I've amassed in the bank. You don't get that from dying repeatedly.

All things considered, this TVHM play through with Maya has been easier than the Normal playthrough with the occasional exception of a tough badass that I can't keep distance from.

Currently level 43, fwiw. Not using any golds. Just green's, blue's and a purple or two. I can post my current most-used items if it'll help.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yeah, I'm not seeing the difficulty being an issue either.

Its pretty much the same as it was in BL1 jumping from playthrough 1 to 2.

Just a note... I believe you can turn off player call outs like Trap Card from zer0 in the options.

If that turns off the character warnings about Badasses, then I'll glad leave them on. I loved them all in the first game, and so far after 40-50 hours with Maya, it's not bothering me at all. I especially love the things she says when you pause for too long.

interesting. I'm finding the opposite experience.

I'm finding sniper rifles, AR's ans SMG's that are just putting sombitches to sleep.

Finished Warden in about 40 seconds. Finished the one
guarding that fake power core that you fight after the train crash
in about 75 seconds. I don't even recall him getting a shot off. He was panicked most of the time because my corrosive AR minigun was melting him like a Wizard of Oz witch. Both of those bosses took significantly more time in my first play through, but my weapons are much stronger and I have damn near limitless ammo (maxed everything except shotty ammo).

That boss is designed to not fight back. We must have different Maya builds, because I just lit him up with ruin and then pelted him with a corrosive pistol and he was dead before Ruin finished. Probably a 10 second fight maximum. His little helper bots zapped me, but they were easily dispatched.

Lunchbox

Banned

get the bee shield and a high firerate gun, everything is 1-3 hits

certain legendary guns take care of the complaint you have

Just a note... I believe you can turn off player call outs like Trap Card from zer0 in the options.

I don't mind them so much. I like a lot of Maya's, especially the chuckle when I get a crit <3.

Zer0 needed a few more when going into deception considering how often someone playing him would use it.

Megasoum

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjBS_Fx9kCM&feature=related

this guy in arid nexus bones drops it. it adds like 50k damage to your shots

Two questions.

1-Do you need to have the quests for the guy to be there or you can just go back after finishing the quest to farm him?

2-Is there a "normal" version of the shield? IE, do I absolutly need to do it in TVHM? I'm just starting now the second playthrough and it would be nice to have a good shield to get me going.

Edgeward

Beat it. GOTY.

Got one Legendary, a flak cannon shotgun. Not sure how I like it. It also was stuck under the floor and had to be tricky in retrieving it.

I'm ready for Borderlands 3
in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCEEEEEE

Lunchbox

Banned
Two questions.

1-Do you need to have the quests for the guy to be there or you can just go back after finishing the quest to farm him?

2-Is there a "normal" version of the shield? IE, do I absolutly need to do it in TVHM? I'm just starting now the second playthrough and it would be nice to have a good shield to get me going.
you can do it even after turning in the mission, he still spawns

theres a lower level version of it, but you want the level 50 one for end game bosses

Gotchaye

I'm not sure what this is about. I can't think of a conversation between any of the originals that show up in BL2 that struck me as Family Guyish.

Even the clumsier bits of Lilith/Other dialogue were generally pretty enjoyable, and some was among my favorite writing in the game, such as
Lilith/Roland from the tapes you find just outside of Sanctuary
. The only things I remember seeming kind of stupid were
Brick talking to various people, especially his and Mordecai's conversation where he tells a story about punching a guy.

Trap card can diaf, though.

That shit is annoying as fuck

Probably the main reason I switched to a Siren

Would have been nice if he spoke only in Haiku like his background ECHOs suggested

But... he does. "How hilarious. / You just set off my trap card. / Your death approaches." They're all like that. That's actually a big part of why he's so annoying - any time he says anything, he goes on for 17 syllables. I imagine the difficulty of coming up with more is also a big part of why the selection is so limited.

Gorillaz

He is touch and go. Like I said earlier the humor is good when its not thrown in every 5 seconds. Unfortunately they tend to go overboard at times.

Hating tiny tina tho? Wut

Inskipp

She's terrible. She's like Reddit or 9gag come to life. The only thing missing is prefixing every noun with "le".
She is very annoying indeed, I found myself feeling complete disgust whenever she spoke, to the point where I just muted the audio whenever doing her missions. Thankfully she's kept to a minimum though.

I really like the dialogue in BD2.I usually can't take stories or game dialogue seriously to begin with, so having it done so crudely appeals to me. Also, Tiny Tina/Ash rules, but that's just me.

But... he does. "How hilarious. / You just set off my trap card. / Your death approaches." They're all like that. That's actually a big part of why he's so annoying - any time he says anything, he goes on for 17 syllables. I imagine the difficulty of coming up with more is also a big part of why the selection is so limited.

Oh wow. I think I tune out that last line every time

Nome

She's terrible. She's like Reddit or 9gag come to life. The only thing missing is prefixing every noun with "le".
How can you dislike Tiny Tina but not Borderlands humor in general?
The entire game is filled with crap you'd find on Reddit all day. The entire game is just memes, memes, and more memes.

Lilith saying "sup" is just awful too. That's something 16 year old kids say when they do a "big play" in Dota. Borderlands 3: Lilith's trademark phrase will be "pce".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom