• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands Movie nuclear bombing at the Box Office ($110m budget vs $4m box office)

Draugoth

Gold Member
borderlandsa_64m8.jpg

Source

Proving less successful at that is “Borderlands,” Lionsgate’s long-gestating adaptation of Take-Two’s shoot-em-and-loot-em video game series. The feature took in a meager $4 million from 3,125 locations, even with increased ticket sales from play in Imax and other premium large-format auditoriums. The sci-fi comedy is in serious danger of opening below $10 million — a terrible result considering its production budget of $115 million. It could even be below director Eli Roth’s last feature, the modestly budgeted slasher “Thanksgiving,” which got to eight-digits in its debut last fall.

The writing has been on the wall for a while now with “Borderlands.” Now opening more than three and a half years after principal photography kicked off, the would-be franchise-starter has earned the worst critical response of any wide release this summer. Even franchise fans that prioritized seeing the feature as soon as possible are calling it a turkey (a terrible D+ grade on Cinema Score).

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I’ve tried to watch it in my country (I love to watch bad movies) and I failed from the start because I was the only idiot who bought the ticket and the bare minimum for a theater to even bother burning electricity is five sold tickets.

I have nothing else to add.
This is how I felt 2 days ago, when I saw Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Freedom in the cinema.

I was the only viewer in the cinema at 10 at night.

Pejo

Gold Member
I hope this lessens the likelihood of future game->movie adaptations, it's just bound to suck ass given the current state of Hollywood.

They've demonstrated that they have no interest or intention in staying true to the games' story or characters, and most of the time the key players admit that they don't like games/didn't play the source material. Whenever I see a game (or Anime really) related TV show or movie, you know the key message is "Remember that thing you loved? Watch us piss all over it."

Frwrd

I’ve tried to watch it in my country (I love to watch bad movies) and I failed from the start because I was the only idiot who bought the ticket and the bare minimum for a theater to even bother burning electricity is five sold tickets.

May I ask which country? I'm genuinely curious.
What in the actual fuck. Please tell me you got your money back or at least punched someone in the fucking mouth...

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

Ozzie666

It will be on streaming soon, they will collect some tax credit when it bombs out of theatres, money laundering complete.
Partially kidding. Dead Pool and Wolverine is still taking most screens in theatres in my area, with Twisters, Minions and some others. It's pretty crowded out there for this type of trash to survive.

Kerotan

Seen ads for this plastered everywhere. Obviously like every advert I skip after 5 seconds but I was thinking it would be big just based off the IP alone. Must be pretty shit though.

Quasicat

I grew up in a small Ohio town and lived within walking distance to a single screen theater, this was normal. For us, it was a four person minimum requirement…if you didn’t have four paying customers, they would cancel the movie and send you home with a refund.

More on topic: I haven’t been to a movie since Mario came out and the kids wanted to see it. Otherwise, I haven’t been to a movie theater for myself since before Covid. I guess I prefer watching movies on my personal setup at home instead of going out and paying $15 to $18 to see something that I could rent/buy in A few months for the same price or cheaper.

Last edited:
If this was an animated movie it would have probably done better.
No…no it wouldn’t have. Nobody in their right mind wants to watch the cringe ass humor of BL in a movie. It’s perfect for a video game because trying to farm a bad ass weapon is the only way to filter this God awful ass writing in the film and the games. No one gives a shit about the story, we just want to randomly shoot things in first person with fun guns. Stop trying to make BL something that it isn’t.

Yep. It looks completely awful and a victim of development hell and no vision. Just needed to get a product out, no matter what. They knew at the end they were delivering a turd. There was nothing to be done about it.

Top Bottom