• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bound by Flame |OT| Free the fire

Just for some headsup, the street date has been lifted at GameStop. If you had a reservation on it, you might want to call your store an see if you can pick it up tonight. The posters are still slated for a Friday arrival though.

Yep just called my Gamestop and they got them in. Going to get my retail version later today.

Wynnebeck

Banned
How much is the game selling for? I was going to trade in some games for Gamestop's 50% trade in deal for Second Son, but I really want some RPG goodness.

anddo0

Just for some headsup, the street date has been lifted at GameStop. If you had a reservation on it, you might want to call your store an see if you can pick it up tonight. The posters are still slated for a Friday arrival though.

Perfect timing, going there tomorrow.

SZips

Not that I have noticed to any obvious degree. It runs pretty much fine and looks acceptable for a budget RPG.

Aside from some obvious framerate drops, I will agree with what you said. Still wish it were locked to a set framerate though.

ironcreed

Banned
Does it at least look like a next gen budget title? Like you can tell it's a step above PS360?

Sorry, I'm playing it on PS3. Where it definitely looks budgety and kind of rough. But I am okay with that because I'm having some fun with it.

For the record, I am expecting it to get panned a bit. Especially now with the early release before reviews hit. That is usually how it goes.

SZips

Does it at least look like a next gen budget title? Like you can tell it's a step above PS360?

In some respects, yes. Though there are obvious times that it's really, really not all that apparent you're playing on a current-gen console.

Voror

On the fence for this honestly, though I've been reading a lot of impressions that are generally favorable if aware of the game's flaws. I've seen several who liked it but are convinced this is going to be butchered in reviews.

On the fence for this honestly, though I've been reading a lot of impressions that are generally favorable if aware of the game's flaws. I've seen several who liked it but are convinced this is going to be butchered in reviews.

People seem to have this idea ever game that is released is either AAA or shit and will try to judge it accordingly but my thing is... why can't games find a equal medium? :) Just a thought. I will have my review come Friday.

Voror

People seem to have this idea ever game that is released is either AAA or shit and will try to judge it accordingly but my thing is... why can't games find a equal medium? :) Just a thought. I will have my review come Friday.

Nah, I'm fine with a good budget game though it is a shame that there doesn't seem to be a middle ground for things as much as there used to be.

I'll probably check it out though as it could keep me preoccupied along with Suikoden on my vita.

Nah, I'm fine with a good budget game though it is a shame that there doesn't seem to be a middle ground for things as much as there used to be.

I'll probably check it out though as it could keep me preoccupied along with Suikoden on my vita.

Wasn't refering to you persay but as you said.... it's a shame there isn't a middle ground with most folks these days.

KORNdoggy

The problem i'm having with this game is the full retail price but the budget quality product. For £25 i'd have jumped on it, for £40...hell no. I'm sure the price will fall fast though, so not a huge issue.

The problem i'm having with this game is the full retail price but the budget quality product. For £25 i'd have jumped on it, for £40...hell no. I'm sure the price will fall fast though, so not a huge issue.

Yeah its 49.99 on PS4 and everything else 39.99 here in the states.

Voror

Wasn't refering to you persay but as you said.... it's a shame there isn't a middle ground with most folks these days.

No, I get you. I can kind of understand the mentality I guess as most of the games I'm looking forward to are probably those considered AAA but I find smaller titles like this one have their own charm and there are a lot of underrated gems out there.

Is it Kingdoms of Amalur good?

It's alright. It's biggest failing to me is that it's just way too easy. The skill trees and such were varied enough to me and the combat was fun.

Story was okay I guess. Nothing super interesting but good enough.

Have not had that happen to me in the time I've played it. Gotta love those very random glitches that people make and point out like it's the end of the world!

1. It's not a glitch, it's something you can do by tapping the run button at any time.

2. Nobody is making it out to be the end of the world or like it's some gamebreaking bug. The video (made by me, actually) is just poking fun. No need to get all defense.

(For the record, I enjoy the game, I even stated so on my stream.)

1. It's not a glitch, it's something you can do by tapping the run button at any time.

2. Nobody is making it out to be the end of the world or like it's some gamebreaking bug. The video (made by me, actually) is just poking fun. No need to get all defense.

(For the record, I enjoy the game, I even stated so on my stream.)

Well look at your description lol "Games $50 dollars, what a steal" I guess the humor was overlooked on my behalf.

yeah its really weird, i watched some of it on live from playstation and was surprised to see that the game was cell shaded. but then actually it seems like just certain parts of it are. someone mentioned it earlier in the thread.

its like some of the world is cell shaded and some of it isn't. its really odd.

having said that i really like the monster design, so i'm going to give it a try.
Looks like a really, really bad implementation of ambient occlusion to me.

I really like how the did the weapons and armor in this game, really cool customization. I'm still on the fence about it though, waiting to see some PC footage.

Well look at your description lol "Games $50 dollars, what a steal" I guess the humor was overlooked on my behalf.

Sorry, I guess I should make it more apparent, but I'm not done with this game as a whole. I'll be making plenty of dumb videos.

On topic, I should post my impressions.

- It's janky, yes, but it's no Mars: War Logs. Seems like Spider actually gave a shit about the combat system, as even on the easiest setting, it's difficult, and it's imperative that you pay attention to enemy attack cues.

- Secondly, on that note, while there are few attacks, the constant movement keeps things fresh. Plus, you kinda have to switch classes. I mean, you can, but you have an easier time switching classes rather than sticking to one (I'm only at the village, so that could change drastically).

- Why I enjoy this game so much is because it reminds me, for some reason, of older games of yore. It's simplistic in a combat sense, and how the enemies react. It's stressful and frantic, but it's not overly complicated. Sometimes, it's good to have a break from that shit in other games, you know?

- It took me an hour to get to the village/beginning area. So the tutorial took me that long, but do note that I was lootin' and bootin' things.

- To explain the glitch I posted above (not really a glitch, honestly, it's a thing you can do in many, many games), if you tap X, your character will do that thing and it's funny. It's also funny when your character's foot freaks out when you try to step on stuff. If you find this stuff enjoyable and funny, it's worth it for the experience alone.

- The RPG side is decent enough. Things are going fast for me, but I am playing on easy. Remember what you put points in - most moves actually help.

- The story isn't a shinning point, but the lines of dialogue are. It's possibly unintentionally funny, but it works for what the game is, and I love it.

- Music is the only thing that annoys me. It's really odd and weird. I hate it.

I'll be trekking through the game more throughout the night if you all have any more questions.

I can understand to poke fun, but that description in the comment didn't seem like light humor to me. I was actually thinking there would be something about the battle system. What a waste of my time, did not find the humor in this video.

It's the point of my channel, but since it's this new thing with like three views, I can understand the confusion.

I'm sure it has been said, but as someone who has played this game the art / enemies / set pieces and music are great. The script / voice acting and combat are garbage. It really ruins the experience. There was potential but the gameplay is meh at best.

I actually enjoy the combat, but the rest is absolutely on point for me

not sure if i can deal with this framerate. its pretty bad.

PS4? Beginning area? I felt the same way when I first played it, either I got used to it or it's better later on. I think it's the variable framerate they used, very distracting and I usually don't get bother by that stuff.

Top Bottom