• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Kater

Banned
Finally got to try the demo yesterday evening and, well... I suuuuuck so bad, it's a bit embarassing. Had to go back to the inn every 2 fights or so... and I was playing on Easy, so yeah :p

By the way, the "easy" area to train is the cave west of the city, right? But when I arrived there, I got ambushed by a bunch of 6 ennemies at once, poor Angès didn't make it out of there :(
It's the easiest dungeon of the three, yeah. I wouldn't go straight in there since there are dragons and goblin mobs. Level up your party and give them the right jobs first.
Have you already done the smaller quests (the fetch quests)?

Zenaku

D: What. The original is 5,400 . . .Then to update it into For the Sequel is an additional 2,900 . . . That's way more than just getting For the Sequel physically. Lol what in eshop robbery is this. They better low the price for original BD to match this soon ;-;
The download version is intended for people who already own the original game (either physical or digital) hence the lower price. The details say the price is for a limited time though, so it may get put up fully on its own eventually.

A quick question. If we update the original version to For the Sequel, can we still play the old one?

For the Sequel isn't a patch, it's the full, 4GB game. It's just that the only way to actually get to its eShop page to buy it is to patch the original game and click the icon on the title screen (trying to get to it from the eShop won't show the purchase button). You can play the original same as you can now. even after buying/downloading FtS.

Jacobbles

The wait for Saturday (Aussie here) is killing me!

Are there any pics floating around of the pre-order artbook? I'd like to see it before I go pick up my copy (mainly so I can get my expectations in order. I know S-E preorder books are usually crap... but still)

The download version is intended for people who already own the original game (either physical or digital) hence the lower price. The details say the price is for a limited time though, so it may get put up fully on its own eventually.

For the Sequel isn't a patch, it's the full, 4GB game. It's just that the only way to actually get to its eShop page to buy it is to patch the original game and click the icon on the title screen (trying to get to it from the eShop won't show the purchase button). You can play the original same as you can now. even after buying/downloading FtS.

You can take a new survey on Dec 9.

kiryogi

Banned

Yeah but I was hoping maybe the original was half price or something so it'd match the retail price of BDFTS. . . Instead it's some astronomical price to get it digitally at all for a newcomer.

holysan

Watched the intro and the english voices are pretty good. Intended to switch to japanese right from the start, but I'll just go with the dub now.

L~A

It's the easiest dungeon of the three, yeah. I wouldn't go straight in there since there are dragons and goblin mobs. Level up your party and give them the right jobs first.
Have you already done the smaller quests (the fetch quests)?

I believe I only did one. I was gonna go back and train a bit before going in the dungeon, but looks like it really is the right thing to do, ha ha. But damn that villager "oh yeah, this dungeon is easy! Perfect place to train, you'll see!'... Yeah, right :p

As for the jobs and all, I have to admit I got no idea what I'm doing (I tried to do something somewhat balanced), but I'm sure it'll come with some practice. Good thing I decided to play the demo first, otherwise I would have been totally overwhelmed when finally starting the full game.

R.I.P

Just got the call that I can go pick up my copy :)

Here's my friend code:
3437-3032-4655

Will add people from the list once I get back.

Leezard

Do characters get specific stat boosts per level in a different jobs, so that if you plan on having a character be a physical attacker it is detrimental to their growth to give them a few levels in a mage-focused job?

Kater

Banned
I believe I only did one. I was gonna go back and train a bit before going in the dungeon, but looks like it really is the right thing to do, ha ha. But damn that villager "oh yeah, this dungeon is easy! Perfect place to train, you'll see!'... Yeah, right :p

As for the jobs and all, I have to admit I got no idea what I'm doing (I tried to do something somewhat balanced), but I'm sure it'll come with some practice. Good thing I decided to play the demo first, otherwise I would have been totally overwhelmed when finally starting the full game.

Oh, and have someone in you party that has the "Examine" skill (Freelancer) so that you can find out your enemies weakness and HP.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man I just realized that replaying the game will mean ill have to put up with building the town again? No big deal if so but man that took a while.

Do characters get specific stat boosts per level in a different jobs, so that if you plan on having a character be a physical attacker it is detrimental to their growth to give them a few levels in a mage-focused job?

IIRC it isn't. The character stats will change according to what job it currently use and iinm job level also affect the particular stats.

Leezard

IIRC it isn't. The character stats will change according to what job it currently use and iinm job level also affect the particular stats.

Oh, nice. I was always a bit bothered in other games with the job system when I wanted to mix and match skills a bit but the characters became clearly suboptimal unless you leveled them exclusively in the class with the best stat gain. I never did give them the optimal stats but it still bothered me.

L~A

Oh, and have someone in you party that has the "Examine" skill (Freelancer) so that you can find out your enemies weakness and HP.

Damn, I didn't know that. Thanks a bunch for the tip, it's definitely going to help (though for now, I believe I can only use "normal" attacks). I still got a LOT to learn, but I shall persevere.

Phazon

Damn, I didn't know that. Thanks a bunch for the tip, it's definitely going to help (though for now, I believe I can only use "normal" attacks). I still got a LOT to learn, but I shall persevere.

Think it was lvl 2 or 3 freelancer. You can also use that ability while having another job, so once you know it you can change to a job you like.

BasyTEDCQAAJgYs.jpg:large

Grabbed these along with my copy of the game today. The Design Works book is AWEEEESOOOOMMMMMEEEE. Features art from Bravely Default, the browser game, and even The Four Warriors of Light.

Kater

Banned
Grabbed these along with my copy of the game today. The Design Works book is AWEEEESOOOOMMMMMEEEE. Features art from Bravely Default, the browser game, and even The Four Warriors of Light.
The Artbook looks very meaty, how many pages does the book have?
Whats the smaller thing under the game box? (Is that the Design Works book?)

This should go without saying, but there are HUGE spoilers in the Design Works book.

You have been warned.

Also the book is 255 pages long. A shot of its thickness:

There are some more shots of the inside on da Twitterz, but I won't link to that.

so should i buy the limited edition or not? figurine seems shitty but how is the artbook? do the AR cards matter at all?

yen is so cheap nowadays might as well buy it.

Kater

Banned
so should i buy the limited edition or not? figurine seems shitty but how is the artbook? do the AR cards matter at all?
I think someone said that you can find the AR cards on Nintendo's website. Don't know if the artbook is worth it.
The box looks good though. :/

Oxx

39 plaza streetpasses but only 1 BD pass. Hopefully it gets better when the game is actually released.

I really have no idea how to play this game. I tried the demo and had my ass handed to me in the first battle! The game didnt explain the battle system at all. Was disappointed by it in this regard.

Anyway so you can store up attacks or attack automatically I didn't really get it and even if I stored attacks I still got hit loads afterwards and my party eventually got wiped out.

I don't consider myself amazing at games but I been playing JRPG's since FFVI so this was a bit of a shock. I normally get used to these systems pretty quick but not with this game apparently.

Leezard

Is it different in the full game?
I don't know, we'll see once the game gets released or someone with the game can confirm.
I really have no idea how to play this game. I tried the demo and had my ass handed to me in the first battle! The game didnt explain the battle system at all. Was disappointed by it in this regard.

Anyway so you can store up attacks or attack automatically I didn't really get it and even if I stored attacks I still got hit loads afterwards and my party eventually got wiped out.

I don't consider myself amazing at games but I been playing JRPG's since FFVI so this was a bit of a shock. I normally get used to these systems pretty quick but not with this game apparently.
Just think of it like you don't have to waste a turn when defending. Brave let's you take risks if you don't have BP stored up. Try to consider when to attack and when to defend.

Got the game!

The store didn't get any of the pre-order artbooks though, they got a message they would come in later. So I can't say anything about it yet.

Time to finish off the final boss in ALBW, then i'll jump into the world of Luxendarc :D

yen is so cheap nowadays might as well buy it.

Depends on what you wanna do with it.I checked the figurine just now, which is supposed to be the centre piece of this CE, and it does look rather shitty since it looks quite different from the actual character's design, it has a cheap Chinese knock-off smell around it, so not very impressive. The artbook does look really nice though, the OST is good and there's the AR cards and the box itself is nice.

All in all, unless you're really, really into it, or are a collector (probably will have a higher resale value in the future), I wouldn't really advise it.

Top Bottom