• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

wrowa

Just got home with my EU collector's edition, the box is insanely good, so the artbook and cards. Statue is just terrible.

Started the game, loving the whole charming atmosphere, style, music, tight gameplay, short dungeons. Not liking so much for now the story/writing, reminiscent of tales game (wtf with those prompt conversations a la Tales of?) thus very childish/immature full of typical animu-jokes-comedy that I can't stand anymore at the age of 29. All the rest is very good. Micro-transictions are off-putting but I guess you can do without them... hopefully.

How can optional content that fleshes out the characters possibly be a bad thing?

What do I do if they fail to ship by Monday? I've already spent too much money on BD, and I can't even have a copy of the game in time.

Hedge

I'm confused - is the Limited Edition artbook the same as the Japanese artbook just released?

Because I paid the same about of money to have the artbook shipped to my country, as I could have paid for the Limited Edition which also came with the game. :p

Kouriozan

Was lazy and didn't buy a copy from my local store today, I'll get it tomorrow anyway, I'm 100% sure of that (express delivery and all~)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Have fun =D, it will be interesting to see your indepth opinion on the game after you finished =)
Thanks. Might take a while because of school, but I've been waiting for this game for a while so I might blitz through it.

I'm starting on Hard just to see what it's like. It looks very good so far. Seems very ambitious at the moment.

Yay, the pink/white LL is the best one. I have it too.
I love it. It feels very nice to hold and it looks so good when closed. Very cute.

I'm confused - is the Limited Edition artbook the same as the Japanese artbook just released?

Because I paid the same about of money to have the artbook shipped to my country, as I could have paid for the Limited Edition which also came with the game. :p

It's different.

just back from game here in brighton.
went with pre-order in hand & queued for far too long only to be told that they were under-shipped on their copies so, alas, i left empty-handed. the PAID for pre-order system they still employ turned into first-come, first-serve, negating the entire fucking thing.
utterly fuming.
i'll carry on with shopto or amazon or whatever from now on. no idea who i'll trade in my old stuff to though.

Dare I utter their name, but you can trade in online with GAME, lol

I did it with my 360 stuff and they send you a gift card. (They also state the gift card can be used online, but it cant, its a store type gift card and states on it when you get it it cant be used online)

They allow you to put in the bar-codes and give you a pre-paid label.

I got about £65 from them.

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HubArticleView?hubId=148256&articleId=148257&catalogId=10201&langId=44&storeId=10151&cm_sp=TopNav-_-TradeIn-_-TradeIn

Kater

Banned
Just saw the opening and saved now at the city. The AR thing is kinda wonky but it does it's job. The voice acting, at least in the cutscenes, is the best I've heard yet on the 3DS.
The city Tiz wakes up in, also extremely gorgeous.
Can't wait to play more so see ya in the game, people!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
My friend code is 0791-1280-1356. Want to see if I can add anyone who has the European version.

I added you and a bunch of you guys from post#2 until my list got full

I'm 3652-1612-6002

Hope to see a a bunch of you on-line! :D

And what the hell happened to Zeer0id? :(

Oxx

tumblr_mxekf9f1ad1rf96tno1_500.jpg

Aww yiss. Get to work.

DarkSoul

Neo Member
So do any of you guys live in Northern Ireland? Did you pre-order the special edition from shopto? Finally, did it arrive today? Because mine didn't and reading this thread is making me angry, especially you Lord Ghirahim *shakes fist*.

In all seriousness tho guys, is it just me because TNT says the depot didn't recieve the shipment and I am pissed, and I have a two day weekend for the first in a long while and now my plans are ruined. Shopto are usually excellent for pre-orders as well.

Raxious

How nice is the 3D effect with this game?

I'm actually enjoying it, it's not full in your face kinda 3D, but it's working nonetheless.

Also, does Tiz ever change, all he's qqing about now is he lost his parents, friends and his normal life. He's been saying it every sentence he got in the game it seems so far. ( I just unlocked the village rebuilding stuff ).

Also, how do you actually get people to join your city? No1 I know has the game, and if I'm lucky I'll be able to find 1 person through Streetpass.

Zenaku

I find the game to have some of the best 3D I've seen.

What do I do if they fail to ship by Monday? I've already spent too much money on BD, and I can't even have a copy of the game in time.

Can't you cancel one of your physical copies and buy the digital version? I'm fairly certain you can use the backup feature to transfer your save from the digital copy to a physical one.

My own order's been held up too, by the artbook somehow.

Anyway, has anyone here ran into the problem where a "NEW" mark in the D notepad doesn't disappear? I got to a new area, fought a few monsters there, then checked them in the notebook, but the option on its main page (above encyclopedia) still says NEW, while the subcategories themselves (items, enemies, battle bonuses) have nothing. I've skimmed through all of them again, and it won't disappear.

The original Japanese version never had this problem, and it'll be annoying if it never goes away.

I find the game to have some of the best 3D I've seen.

Can't you cancel one of your physical copies and buy the digital version? I'm fairly certain you can use the backup feature to transfer your save from the digital copy to a physical one.

My own order's been held up too, by the artbook somehow.

Anyway, has anyone here ran into the problem where a "NEW" mark in the D notepad doesn't disappear? I got to a new area, fought a few monsters there, then checked them in the notebook, but the option on its main page (above encyclopedia) still says NEW, while the subcategories themselves (items, enemies, battle bonuses) have nothing. I've skimmed through all of them again, and it won't disappear.

The original Japanese version never had this problem, and it'll be annoying if it never goes away.
Are you actually checking the monsters themselves and not just the sub categories (humanoid, beast etc)?

Zenaku

I've checked every single monster, yes, and none of their subcategories have NEW on them either. Same with items.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
As usual antagonists' voice acting >>>>> protagonists'

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
"A lucky charm? That's charming..."

Awww, they're so awkward together :D

Anyway, I think the 3D works great, and as I knew beforehand, the game is really, really pretty

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hmmm. I didn't know you could customize it so you can turn XP gain off. That's quite neato. It even has a enc. rate scale. I like how the game does some stuff correctly design-wise right at the beginning of the game. >.>

For folks who've played the game before or are further along, if you're playing on hard, would it even be advisable to turn XP gain off? The balancing doesn't seem too bad to me so far, but if some settings seem to serve as hindrances, perhaps I shouldn't push it despite the fact that I do play stuff on hard often.

The dialogue and localization seem pretty good. As do both dubs, really. I don't dislike either of them. Music seems neat so far (I made a point not to listen to the soundtrack last year in case I ever got to play the game if I got the JP version or an English version). I'm also very pleased with the game's art direction in general. It's like walking across an elegant painting.

krossj

Two and half hours in and playing on hard. Thought it would be fun and interesting to try and go with only freelancers in the first dungeon and quickly found out that was a silly idea... had a lot more success and fun after instating a monk and white mage. Enjoying it but hope the jobs are obtained quickly after one another to keep things interesting.

yuzu

Neo Member

Yeah, I do and I've seen more than a few people having the same problem on 2ch. It seems to happen when you imported items from BDFF.
I imported every data except EXP and it seems I can't complete D's notebook... Since you can't fight
the owl-like things that teach you summoning spells.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
"You cannot register anymore streetpass data to the system."

Whyyy

Majmun

Dammmmmn, the 3D in this game is great. It adds a lot to the environments. 2D graphics kinda limit the scope and some items are left unseen.

The graphics are amazing.

Aren't you getting this as well? It's great . <3

-edit-

Forgot about the late NA release oops

I normally play jRPGs with the Japanese dub if given the option, but I think I actually like the English dub too. What's everyone's opinion on this? Which dub have you selected for your game?

edit: About stock, I don't know about the rest of my country, but the biggest city in my province (~200k) has two GAME stores, and I know one of those got 36-37 copies just for the pre-orders. An employee from another GAME store told me that it was selling quite well and that they had had plenty of pre-orders.

wrowa

"You cannot register anymore streetpass data to the system."

Whyyy

I got that a few weeks ago when playing ALBW. Turns out you can only activate Streetpass for up to 10 games or so at the same time.

Ironically enough, I wondered earlier on the same day how much data can be transferred between two 3DS during the short Streetpass contact ... and then I got the message. :p

Zenaku

Yeah, I do and I've seen more than a few people having the same problem on 2ch. It seems to happen when you imported items from BDFF.
I imported every data except EXP and it seems I can't complete D's notebook... Since you can't fight
the owl-like things that teach you summoning spells.

Damn, that's annoying. I only imported jobs and items myself (sold off everything but the costumes and unsellable equipment beforehand) so I had a number of things in the encyclopedia from the moment I started the game, but the NEW only refused to disappear after fighting a few normal enemies in the desert.

I normally play jRPGs with the Japanese dub if given the option, but I think I actually like the English dub too. What's everyone's opinion on this? Which dub have you selected for your game?

The english dub is better than I expected, but I still went with japanese because I love the japanese Ringabel voice.

wrowa

edit: About stock, I don't know about the rest of my country, but the biggest city in my province (~200k) has two GAME stores, and I know one of those got 36-37 copies just for the pre-orders. An employee from another GAME store told me that it was selling quite well and that they had had plenty of pre-orders.

I like them both, but I think both dubs suffer from the sub-par audio quality. The background music is fine, but the voices really suffer. I guess it wasn't a good idea to squeeze both audio tracks on the cart. :/ It doesn't feel like either audio track is being done justice.

And regarding stock: I was surprised shen I picked up Bravely Default from the local Saturn and saw that they had a ton of copies in. The only other times I've seen so many units of 3DS games at the store was for Nintendo's "blockbuster" games. I'm kinda worried now that we'll see BD becoming the next EO1 (which was published by NoE and sold for 10 bucks everywhere a few months after launch). I hope Nintendo is not drastically overshipping this one.

Shun

Here's my FC!
2165-5762-6463

Do you think Square Enix will undercut America's CE or would they actually put in the effort like they did with the Kingdom Hearts Mark of Mastery Edition? MoM was pretty good for $49.99 and as much as I loved SMTIV, Atlus kinda crapped out on their first print runs.

Does anyone have a comparison between the Deluxe artbook and the regular preorder one? I'm crossing my fingers that America does get the Deluxe one.

Ricker

How come Euro got this first..? what trickery is this lol...

Enjoy guys and keep the spoiler free impressions coming =)

I'll ask both on twitter and the forums. I hope they don't ignore me again. Can you ask too? They'll have to answer if they get the same question multiple times, I guess :/

GenericUser

Just found out about this game. Damn, this looks like something I'd gladly shell out 60 bucks for if it was released on a console. Unfortunate that I don't own a 3ds.

Oregano

My copy arrived today. Deluxe Edition is really big. Art book is nice, cars are nice, mini-soundtrack is nice. Statue is a tad disappoiting but not as bad as the photos IMO. Happy with it though.

Played the game for an hour and half. Really liking the characters, they all have a lot of personality. Ringabel is the best.

Zenaku

I'll ask both on twitter and the forums. I hope they don't ignore me again. Can you ask too? They'll have to answer if they get the same question multiple times, I guess :/

Sure. I don't get many chances to type in Japanese, so I might've worded it wrong though =x

I'll tweet the following now:

&#12513;&#12531;&#12496;&#12540;&#12474;&#12469;&#12452;&#12488;&#12395;&#12450;&#12483;&#12503;&#12525;&#12540;&#12489;&#12373;&#12428;&#12390;&#12356;&#12427;&#12496;&#12483;&#12463;&#12450;&#12483;&#12503;&#12487;&#12540;&#12479;&#12434;&#12480;&#12454;&#12531;&#12525;&#12540;&#12489;&#12375;&#12390;&#12289;&#12487;&#12540;&#12479;&#12434;&#24489;&#20803;&#12391;&#12365;&#12427;&#12381;&#12358;&#12391;&#12377;&#12364;&#12289;&#12466;&#12540;&#12512;&#12398;DL&#29256;&#12391;&#12487;&#12540;&#12479;&#12434;&#12450;&#12483;&#12503;&#12525;&#12540;&#12489;&#12375;&#12390;&#12289;&#36949;&#12358;&#12497;&#12465;&#12540;&#12472;&#29256;&#12391;&#24489;&#20803;&#12434;&#36984;&#12435;&#12391;&#12513;&#12531;&#12496;&#12540;&#12474;&#12469;&#12452;&#12488;&#12395;&#32331;&#12370;&#12400;&#12289;DL&#29256;&#12363;&#12425;&#12497;&#12465;&#12540;&#12472;&#29256;&#12408;&#12392;&#12487;&#12540;&#12479;&#12434;&#31227;&#12379;&#12427;&#12391;&#12375;&#12423;&#12358;&#12363;&#65311;

Top Bottom