• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Wait people are complaining about the 3D? Woh, that's unexpected. I second Aeana's feelings on the matter; the way it makes areas come alive is super cool.

How do I add friends into the game? I added like 30 friends codes from the OT on the first page of this thread into my 3DS. But they don't appear in the game. It says I have 5/20 guests but 0/20 friends still. I don't get how it works. How do you get more friends into the game?

How do I add friends into the game? I added like 30 friends codes from the OT on the first page of this thread into my 3DS. But they don't appear in the game. It says I have 5/20 guests but 0/20 friends still. I don't get how it works. How do you get more friends into the game?

You need to update your data from the Save point guys, you should get them that way.

You need to update your data from the Save point guys, you should get them that way.

Ok I did this "register via internet" from the save guy, but it said there were no friends registered on the system that could be added. So not a single one of the 32 people I added today from the first page to my 3DS has accepted my FC? I find that hard to believe. Am I doing this right?

Zenaku

Ok I did this "update via internet" from the save guy, but it said there were no friends registered on the system that could be added. So not a single one of the 32 people I added today from the first page to my 3DS has accepted my FC? I find that hard to believe. Am I doing this right?

Have you tried the 3rd option on the save screen, add friends? That's the option that does it for me.

EDIT: Might be what you mean; options are named differently in the JP version. I think the people have to be online/playing the game for it to notice them though.

Ok I did this "register via internet" from the save guy, but it said there were no friends registered on the system that could be added. So not a single one of the 32 people I added today from the first page to my 3DS has accepted my FC? I find that hard to believe. Am I doing this right?

Also do the add friends option, I got my internet friends from that option =D

wrowa

Have you tried the 3rd option on the save screen, add friends? That's the option that does it for me.

EDIT: Might be what you mean; options are named differently in the JP version. I think the people have to be online/playing the game for it to notice them though.
Yep, that's the option you are supposed to use.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Add me I'm a reasonable level. you have to add 3ds friends from the save point

wrowa

Actually, it's possible that no one of those people added you. You aren't (yet?) present in the FC list and I doubt that most people are paying attention to FC codes that have been posted randomly in this thread (I haven't seen yours, for example). Keep in mind that the 3DS doesn't send you a notification when someone has added your friend code to the system.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Is there any way to change the character who runs around 9or is it just story related)? My knight dude with the cap looks so much better than my freelancer girl.

Also 24 jobs.. lawd....

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Is there any way to change the character who runs around 9or is it just story related)? My knight dude with the cap looks so much better than my freelancer girl.

Also 24 jobs.. lawd....

Use the "sort" option under "tactics" and put the one you want to see running on the screen at the top.

Zornica

Banned
I normally play jRPGs with the Japanese dub if given the option, but I think I actually like the English dub too. What's everyone's opinion on this? Which dub have you selected for your game?

edit: About stock, I don't know about the rest of my country, but the biggest city in my province (~200k) has two GAME stores, and I know one of those got 36-37 copies just for the pre-orders. An employee from another GAME store told me that it was selling quite well and that they had had plenty of pre-orders.

I am going with the japanese dub, I got nothing to gain from the english one. was more interesting to hear how the localisation differs from the original. (at least I try to)

And regarding stock: I was surprised shen I picked up Bravely Default from the local Saturn and saw that they had a ton of copies in. The only other times I've seen so many units of 3DS games at the store was for Nintendo's "blockbuster" games. I'm kinda worried now that we'll see BD becoming the next EO1 (which was published by NoE and sold for 10 bucks everywhere a few months after launch). I hope Nintendo is not drastically overshipping this one.

As I already stated early in this thread, I picked up the game this afternoon from one of the most crowded saturns in vienna and mine was also the last copy they had...
maybe we got another xenoblade situation on our hands?
*waiting for shibata to apologize for insufficient stock*

Got the game in the post today but thought to myself "Aaa! I haven't completed the demo yet!" been levelling up towns today + trying to do the other missions, though I have like 4 streetpass people to build on the town so it's all a bit slow going...

does the demo actually give me items I won't get in the main game or am I merely getting an advance on some of the better stuff + levels before I start?

Leezard

Got the game in the post today but thought to myself "Aaa! I haven't completed the demo yet!" been levelling up towns today + trying to do the other missions, though I have like 4 streetpass people to build on the town so it's all a bit slow going...

does the demo actually give me items I won't get in the main game or am I merely getting an advance on some of the better stuff + levels before I start?

You're just getting an advance making the really early game a bit easier. It's not a big deal and the equipment gets bad quickly.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just got the game.

3D is really bad. Awful ghosting. Noticed that most non-first party games have terrible 3D effects. Zero ghosting on LBW at max, but can't have this at anything more than the lowest. The backgrounds look really lovely though. Immediately feels like some sort of hybrid between the SNES and PS1 generations.

Aeana

.... They translated Edea's awful "むぐぐぐぐ" crap as... "mrgrgr"? It sounds even more stupid now.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Just about to get stuck in to this after playing through the intro. The art is unbelievable especially the backgrounds.

Oh also I am not sure if this has already been posted but nintendo europe tweeted a link to the EU Bravely Default site this morning. That site includes a link to an official pdf of the AR cards. The direct link to that is HERE.

I have added every friend code from the OP. Lets do this.

Oxx

They throw a lot of stuff at you within the first hour. Having learned the game through the demo means that I can pretty much just auto battle everything with the speed turned up.

Having the tutorials as mini quests is pretty neat, though.

I really wish the story was less predictable and maybe not just plain boring. They were really not trying to...well...they were really just not trying, I guess. The game's just kind of going through the motions with this party of one dimensional characters who look for the switches to turn the crystals back one. Quite disappointing.

Jacobbles

The preorder bonus artbook us every bit as underwhelming as I expected it to be. Shelling out for the real artbook was a wise move.

ramyeon

I really wish the story was less predictable and maybe not just plain boring. They were really not trying to...well...they were really just not trying, I guess. The game's just kind of going through the motions with this party of one dimensional characters who look for the switches to turn the crystals back one. Quite disappointing.
How far in are you? I've heard nothing but good things about the story from people that completed it.

wrowa

How far in are you? I've heard nothing but good things about the story from people that completed it.

Yeah, knowing the other works the author has written, I predict that the story will become quite fucked up (hopefully in a positive way) by the end.

I'm about ten hours in. I've heard good things, too, but so far it's just the same old. I don't think the game could be any less ambitious than it already is.
I remember hearing about a good story twist, but I feel like the tone of the game has been established and it has completely failed to make me care about anything so far. I can't see me being moved by whatever disruptive plot device there might be waiting for me.

Need some friends for this game.
Got it today and about 4 h in loving it so far !

I added a lot of you guys so please add me back

4425-1454-1893

Domo

PM me when you added me

The game is long and the story takes many a twist and turn before reaching its final destination.

It's very much a narrative from the writer of Steins;Gate in that sense. A slow build up to things hitting the fan.

Well, I'm not really interested in having the rug pulled from under my feet for the sake of it. That has to be set up right and that's what is sorely missing so far.
Oh well, I guess I'll play some more before I'll be too harsh on it, but it's certainly not promising so far.

??? It's incredible, in my opinion. It turns backgrounds that look like 2D drawings into 3D environments. It's so cool.

oh awesome, man its a long wait here in the US. Pre-ordered the CE though to make sure I don't miss out on it, did so on amazon - for some reason gamestop is charging an extra $5 for the same thing.

Kater

Banned
First boss fight and it was quite challenging (on hard difficulty).
Oh, and the dialogue between Tiz and Agnes is kinda awkward in a cute way.

Stider

Gotta love Nintendo of Australia or whoever handles us. Go into EB to grab my CE this morning and then get shown a letter from Nintendo stating that "due to issues with suppliers" the AR cards for the CE were not available. The letter goes onto say that they will try to have this corrected by the 31st of December. As a part of this, it seems no CE were shipped.

The only thing the person at EB suggested is that if I still want the CE, to buy a 2nd copy of the game and when/if it comes in, I just switch cartridges from the standard to the CE. With the statue not being the best and this delay, I'm most likely going to cancel the CE, which is a shame as the game is awesome :(

SunGod

Just over 10 hours in. I've just arrived at
Florem
and I've managed to pick up
Thief, Merchant, Spell Fencer and Time Mage
I gained 4 new villagers when I started playing and 4 again after midnight. Is that normal? I thought you were only given 1-3?

I love this game. I'm playing it in 2D, I keep moving while playing so the 3D effect messes up for me, which is a shame. I try and use it whenever there's a story sequence though. I'm disappointed with Nintendo, the CE doesn't do this game justice. But thanks to them for being brave (...) enough to release this in the west.

ramyeon

Florem
I gained 4 new villagers when I started playing and 4 again after midnight. Is that normal? I thought you were only given 1-3?
I got 5 when I first started playing from Spotpass and 2 from my demo village for a total of 7.

Really loving this, just got up to the point where I can take on the 1st side quest and I'm having no luck with the boss there.
Jackal keeps healing himself or the other guy by stealing potions off me which is really annoying, I'm basically whittling away at their health while he heals and then I run out of MP to heal. Might have to go on with the main quest and come back to this.

SunGod

I got 5 when I first started playing from Spotpass and 2 from my demo village for a total of 7.

Really loving this, just got up to the point where I can take on the 1st side quest and I'm having no luck with the boss there.
Jackal keeps healing himself or the other guy by stealing potions off me which is really annoying, I'm basically whittling away at their health while he heals and then I run out of MP to heal. Might have to go on with the main quest and come back to this.

Ah yes I had 2 from the demo as well. Awesome you got 5, hopefully I can be as lucky (if not more so) tomorrow after midnight!

As for your problem:
I went and played the main quest and came back later

Jacobbles

Used the Friend Summon thing twice in the first boss fight with
the Monk and the White Mage lady
and one-shotted each of them thanks to someones level 15 character

What's the go with this? Can you only summon each friend once a day or something? Either the game did a poor job of explaining it or I'm stupid

Aeana

Florem

I love this game. I'm playing it in 2D, I keep moving while playing so the 3D effect messes up for me, which is a shame. I try and use it whenever there's a story sequence though. I'm disappointed with Nintendo, the CE doesn't do this game justice. But thanks to them for being brave (...) enough to release this in the west.
I never received 4 when playing the Japanese version, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Money-making tip for everyone who's got merchant now (spoilered just in case people don't want to know this):
I don't know the English names of these abilities yet, but I can describe them. Merchant learns a passive that increases the amount of money you get. It also learns an ability that forces the enemy to pay you in exchange for healing it. You can use this ability a bunch of times in one fight, and the amount stacks up each time you use it. You can make this even more effective by using the merchant's full leverage ability (this increases damage and healing for five turns), and even more effective on top of that with medic job's recovery up passive ability. It's a really good way to save up to buy those great expensive accessories.

Used the Friend Summon thing twice in the first boss fight with
the Monk and the White Mage lady
and one-shotted each of them thanks to someones level 15 character

What's the go with this? Can you only summon each friend once a day or something? Either the game did a poor job of explaining it or I'm stupid

Once you summon a friend, you cannot summon them again until they upload their save data again and you download it again.

ramyeon

Ah yes I had 2 from the demo as well. Awesome you got 5, hopefully I can be as lucky (if not more so) tomorrow after midnight!

As for your problem:
I went and played the main quest and came back later
Hopefully, I wonder what the limit on Spotpass ones per day is.

Has anyone figured out whether we can access the DLC Costumes from the original Japanese release and/or the new ones for FtS in the PAL release yet?

Top Bottom