• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Jinko

I've checked every single monster, yes, and none of their subcategories have NEW on them either. Same with items.

Some entries have more than one page of text, use the circle-pad to flick through the pages.

Those Nemesis battles are nasty. Also the difficulty settings make a huuuuge difference.

Fought Beezlebub (Recommended Level: 10) at Level 10/11 on Normal and got utterly whooped even using Summon Friend (thanks Jinko!) and Abilinking a bunch of people, did't get him below ~10% of his HP in 5 tries.
His Acid Shot ender to Gluttony killed everyone except my Bangled Monk even through Default, half the time). Maybe I'm overlevelled a bit for how far through the game I am, I could see the Level 2 White Mage spells making a decent difference.

Once I put the game on Easy he could barely hurt me and I pretty much stomped him.

I didn't beat him til lvl 15,
he hits hard but takes a lot of damage also, so you just have to maximise the damage as best you can, thunder helps.

Also unlocking the specials in the lower right corner of Norende will help a lot, especially if you meet the requirements before entering battle and fire them off one after the other.

Matriox

I've been living under a rock for 3ds games, just picked up my 3DS XL a few weeks ago for pokemon and ALBW, this thread has me genuinely excited for this game in NA...

stOex

I'm loving this game already! So far I'm 5 hours in, can't wait to finish it.

Also, I added everyone's FC from the first post!

Sitrus

I swtiched back and forth between japanese and english text while playing before determining which one I should stick with. I noticed that the japanese text is a lot more "normal" while the english one is really made in "shakespearean" language.

Lots of times, the translation does not match the original, but the english "shakepearean" is too good so I think I will stay with it. Although it is a bit confusing when dialogue and text don't match xD

Great backgrounds and I love the music from Revo from Sound Horizon :D

EDIT: Edea is my favorite among the protagonists, her voice!

Wow at french reviews : the game scores really high everywhere and most importantly reviewers seem to be reaaaaally fond of the game...I'm a bit surprised at the metacritic score.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Man this boss is borderline unfair
oroboros he almost always attacks first, twice with an Aoe even after already attacking and the bravely default system just does not apply to him, it's like he has no downtime after all the attacking he does

Qurupeke

Oh wow... I decided to use the two handed ability on my knight... His P. Atk sky rocketed... This along with Stomp can 1hko anything till now.

McNum

So, I heard there's a danger of getting a
bad ending
several times in the game. Considering that the game autosaves, this worries me a little. How do I avoid hitting one of those? Preferably said in as few spoilers as possible. Also, if autosave is on, will that mean I have to
start all over to get another try?

Gambit

Oh for fuck's sake, seems like no store has BD on stock. Should have just kept my pre-order, now I gotta order again and hope I'll get it by Tuesday or Wednesday

I feel your pain. Just drove around different stores for four hours and could not track down a single copy. So fucking irritating, especially as the Christmas shopping is going on and the stores were crazy-busy as well.

It was sold out everywhere. I asked one clerk and said "You can't tell me this actually sells well?" He said "It got good reviews so people keep on asking now, but we only ordered one copy for release." ARRRRRRGH

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So, I heard there's a danger of getting a
bad ending
several times in the game. Considering that the game autosaves, this worries me a little. How do I avoid hitting one of those? Preferably said in as few spoilers as possible. Also, if autosave is on, will that mean I have to
start all over to get another try?

TBF at the start it does ask you whether you want to have autosaves or not.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Do special move attacks not work against (certain) bosses ? I finally tried to chain some against a boss and GUARD popped every time. I killed him anyway, but i'm curious now.

McNum

TBF at the start it does ask you whether you want to have autosaves or not.
So, the lesson is... don't have autosave on? Just curious since I'd hate to play halfway through the game and having to restart.

Just wondering if
the bad ending(s) are Paper Mario style obvious or need some silly little non-obvious thing done three hours back to avoid them.

Oxx

Added the entire list of Friend Codes. About 30 people had already added me. My online list is a whole lot of BD right now.

Do special move attacks not work against (certain) bosses ? I finally tried to chain some against a boss and GUARD popped every time. I killed him anyway, but i'm curious now.

Maybe it has something to do with the boss being immune to the element on the attack? I used a special attack with fire on a boss that was clearly fire type and it blocked it, but ice worked fine.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Maybe it has something to do with the boss being immune to the element on the attack? I used a special attack with fire on a boss that was clearly fire type and it blocked it

Hmm i guess that's why. I forgot i even put some element attached to that move.

Maybe it has something to do with the boss being immune to the element on the attack? I used a special attack with fire on a boss that was clearly fire type and it blocked it, but ice worked fine

Yes, it's this. I had the same problem that my fire type special move got blocked. Changed it to his weakness afterwards and the same move did massive damage.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It appears some bosses high resistance (immunity?) towards certain types of specials. For instance, I had no issues both P- and M-attacking a certain boss, while all my specials were guarded against. I don't recall such mechanics in 4HoL.

Jinko

Can't say I have seen that happen.
Hmm i guess that's why. I forgot i even put some element attached to that move.

Ahh yea, didn't think of that, probably best to keep the elements off the specials unless you are going after a particular boss.

Canti

Just got this today, great stuff so far. Adding everyone from post #2 right now, would be great if I could get a few more to add me. My friend code -

3866-7996-5565

Loving the soundtrack, insanely good. :D

cluderi

Finally managed to 99% Zelda ALBW (missing one heart),so now I can start in on this beauty. Didn't want to be running them both at the same time.

November 2013 be crazy yo.

aravuus

I feel your pain. Just drove around different stores for four hours and could not track down a single copy. So fucking irritating, especially as the Christmas shopping is going on and the stores were crazy-busy as well.

It was sold out everywhere. I asked one clerk and said "You can't tell me this actually sells well?" He said "It got good reviews so people keep on asking now, but we only ordered one copy for release." ARRRRRRGH

The nearest Gamestop also ordered only one copy lol

This thread makes the wait that much more painful. Thank god I have a couple of games on my backlog to ease the wait.

flowsnake

The white mage keeps healing if you just keep attacking normally, so I waited until protect wore off, then spammed brave attacks.

So, is Abilink as broken as it seems? I don't think I'll use it, but it is useful in a secondary way since it shows you which abilities jobs learn.

Zenaku

Oh for fuck sake. -_-

I just checked my order on Play-Asia, with my white 3DS XL, Hatsune Miku Mirai 2, Bravely Default FtS and the artbook; it was held up by the artbook not being ready, and now white 3DS Xls are out of stock.

I paid for the order and shipping in advance on a debit card. What the hell do I do?

Fritz

Been playing probably 1 to 2 hours today.

I love this game. It's picking up where traditional jrpgs (think 16 bit) left and improves on so many levels. The pacing and the ways you can adjust the game to your needs is amazing.

game system and art all fall into place too!

Grampasso

The game has been good so far, I still don't get how are you supposed to kill
Beelzebub. He can pretty much kill any party member if he gets a critical hit with any of his attack(600+ dmg). Physical dmg is completely useless, even more if he's in default, that makes 2 characters completely useless. After the first Gluttony I'm pretty much done for. Guess I'm supposed to heal/support with 2 characters and attack with the other 2 but since Thunder/Earth are the only thing he's weak to doesn't seem logical to me switching to 2 white + 2 black mages, seems a bit too much to ask for such a thing so early in the game. Or maybe it's just too early (I've just arrived in the clock town, 4 jobs unlocked + freelancer)

So, is Abilink as broken as it seems? I don't think I'll use it, but it is useful in a secondary way since it shows you which abilities jobs learn.

Yeah, I think I'm going to turn it off. Takes the fun out of leveling a job when you could already use the new job abilities due to abilink. Although maybe that will mostly be the case for the first few jobs since everyone uses those at the beginning...

Nif

Oh for fuck sake. -_-

I just checked my order on Play-Asia, with my white 3DS XL, Hatsune Miku Mirai 2, Bravely Default FtS and the artbook; it was held up by the artbook not being ready, and now white 3DS Xls are out of stock.

I paid for the order and shipping in advance on a debit card. What the hell do I do?

If it's a good website, they took it out of stock after you purchased it. I can't speak for them, but usually "out of stock" means "we have no more available to sell" not necessarily "there are none in the warehouse".

Enjolras

Neo Member
It's frustrating when you can't tell if you're underlevelled or undergeared when you come up against a boss. I'm not having any trouble against the standard dungeon enemies that you encounter, but I've now wiped against
Orthros in the Wind Temple
three times in a row, and I'm not sure what's to blame.

My party's level 17, and they're equipped with Brigandines and Red Caps in terms of armour. I've been using a set-up with a White Mage, Black Mage, Monk and Thief, then I switched to all-out magic assault, and I'm having a hard time finding something that works. It's the first boss I've had real problems with, and I just want to know what I'm doing wrong!

Zenaku

If it's a good website, they took it out of stock after you purchased it. I can't speak for them, but usually "out of stock" means "we have no more available to sell" not necessarily "there are none in the warehouse".

You would hope. I checked google for similar problems, and there were indeed other people who had things go out of stock after ordering/paying for them, and having to either wait or have them removed from their order.

I was willing to wait an extra week, but damn if I have to wait until next year. I wanted a 3DS XL a couple of months ago, and it was out of stock then, so I know it'll take a while if they didn't reserve one for me. I'll send them an email asking what's up.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The game has been good so far, I still don't get how are you supposed to kill
Beelzebub. He can pretty much kill any party member if he gets a critical hit with any of his attack(600+ dmg). Physical dmg is completely useless, even more if he's in default, that makes 2 characters completely useless. After the first Gluttony I'm pretty much done for. Guess I'm supposed to heal/support with 2 characters and attack with the other 2 but since Thunder/Earth are the only thing he's weak to doesn't seem logical to me switching to 2 white + 2 black mages, seems a bit too much to ask for such a thing so early in the game. Or maybe it's just too early (I've just arrived in the clock town, 4 jobs unlocked + freelancer)
Your forced to learn very quickly when to use braves and defaults remember cure can heals all party members, always default when he attacks heal with cure when members reach health threshold, don't leave yourself open don't attack when he uses gluttony.

You'll need this tactic later on in the game, also if you have prot magic before acid

Grampasso

Your forced to learn very quickly when to use braves and defaults remember cure can heals all party members, always default when he attacks heal with cure when members reach health threshold, don't leave yourself open don't attack when he uses gluttony.

You'll need this tactic later on in the game
Honestly, this isn't difficult to understand, it was pretty clear what to do, it's just that it hits for TOO much, and when it crits 1HKOs whoever hits. So I was wondering if something's wrong in my way of handling things.

Noticed you edited your reply,
so phys prot lessens acid dmg? That could be the problem though I'm pretty sure at least the mages had it on last time o_O

Qurupeke

Damn it, I think my party is official broken. Chapter 1:
I beat Orthros in the first turn. It's not supposed to be that easy right?
I think I'll lower the encounter rate even more and I'll maybe try the Hard difficulty... I used to have my encounter rate on +100% before...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Honestly, this isn't difficult to understand, it was pretty clear what to do, it's just that it hits for TOO much, and when it crits 1HKOs whoever hits. So I was wondering if something's wrong in my way of handling things.
Doesn't really matter if he kills a party member as a boss he isn't too aggressive as long as you have a phoenix there's plenty of opportunities to rez. If your still having troubles just buy better armor and make sure you take gloves that boost health for squishes

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I think I'll lower the encounter rate even more and I'll maybe try the Hard difficulty... I used to have my encounter rate on +100% before...

I beat him 30 minutes ago, and while it was relatively easy, it took me more than a single turn. But then again it depends on the levels, jobs and abilities, gear, if you use abilink too.

Noticed you edited your reply,
so phys prot lessens acid dmg? That could be the problem though I'm pretty sure at least the mages had it on last time o_O
Make sure your party is at full health and defending before he uses acid breath otherwise it will probably one shot your whole party. It's always the third attack he uses after gluttony. Gluttony-Attack-Attack-Acid Breath

No it's not :p. What level were you at to one shot him? I was level 20 playing on hard and it took about 10 minutes

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I still don't get the most effective way to
defeat the guardian of the first crystal I completed it by the skin of my teeth, because of the two heads on monster he just attacks whenever he wants managed to defeat by somehow pumping out enough dps to kill the first head which obviously afterwards it's easier once killed, but I had no consistent strategy since I barely made it unlike other bosses.

Oxx

I'm just sitting here opening the 3DS every 20 minutes to build something new in the village. Is this what Facebook games are like?

Jinko

@ Enjolras :- Orthos was pretty easy,
Fire on one head, blizzard on the other, he goes down real fast.

I'm just sitting here opening the 3DS every 20 minutes to build something new in the village. Is this what Facebook games are like?

Heh, when you go to sleep/work you should put a few villagers in each shop, you'll wake up with a ton of stuff.

Qurupeke

No it's not :p. What level were you at to one shot him? I was level 20 playing on hard and it took about 10 minutes

I think everyone was 27-28... ( ._.) Also, to elaborate a bit I used specials, that's why he got down so early. Still, the damage from them was pretty crazy. About 3000 each if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom