• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Enjolras

Neo Member
@ Enjolras :- Orthos was pretty easy,
Fire on one head, blizzard on the other, he goes down real fast.
That was pretty much the strategy I went for on my all-mage attempt, so I guess I need to head back to the Vestment Cave and get a few more levels.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Orthos was pretty easy,
Fire on one head, blizzard on the other, he goes down real fast.

Obviously that but he spams aoes at least twice before my whole party can do something, he doesn't attack by turn, which makes difficult to recover if he consecutively uses really damaging attacks. Perhaps I was underleveled/equipped, but I couldn't figure out a reliable pattern for him.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I think everyone was 27-28... ( ._.) Also, to elaborate a bit I used specials, that's why he got down so early. Still, the damage from them was pretty crazy. About 3000 each if I remember correctly.

Ouch, my party was lvl 18 for him. If you were that high level as you say in the spoiler text and on normal, i can see why you one shot him!

Vitanimus

This game is ridiculously good. I feel for you, US brethrens! I've added a majority of the Friends Code's on the second post, if anyone would like to add me, please feel free:

0361-6769-2623

wrowa

As I already stated early in this thread, I picked up the game this afternoon from one of the most crowded saturns in vienna and mine was also the last copy they had...
maybe we got another xenoblade situation on our hands?
*waiting for shibata to apologize for insufficient stock*
I went back today and indeed: the store went from 3 dozen copies to having just the 3 copies left. Seems this game is selling way better than I would have imagined.

Got my DE today. God, this game is beautiful. The 3D makes it look great. There's a bit of ghosting in places, but nothing too bad. It's been great overall, so far.

I also just tried out the summons in the first boss battle-like battle. Those two didn't stand a chance. Almost felt like cheating. Maybe I'll just refrain from using that for now...

Grampasso

Doesn't really matter if he kills a party member as a boss he isn't too aggressive as long as you have a phoenix there's plenty of opportunities to rez. If your still having troubles just buy better armor and make sure you take gloves that boost health for squishes
My WHM keeps getting critted and killed at full health by the acid breath with all the above. When she dies it's pretty much game over. :D

Principate

Saint Titanfall
My WHM keeps getting critted and killed at full health by the acid breath with all the above. When she dies it's pretty much game over. :D

It shouldn't be do you not have a knight or basically any character than can take damage. If you don't you should get one as it helps a lot to use that character for items etc when your others can't take the punishment. Also you should be using potions etc try not be too reliant on WM.

Grampasso

It shouldn't be do you not have a knight or basically any character than can take damage. If you don't you should get one as it helps a lot to use that character for items etc when your others can't take the punishment. Also you should be using potions etc try not be too reliant on WM.
That only works on direct attacks, on multi target attacks the thing won't work ;)

XaeonBE

Game plays awesome!!! Not going to spoil it but I also heard some people only finished chapter one after more then 10 hours of playing!

Obviously that but he spams aoes at least twice before my whole party can do something, he doesn't attack by turn, which makes difficult to recover if he consecutively uses really damaging attacks. Perhaps I was underleveled/equipped, but I couldn't figure out a reliable pattern for him.

Yeah, sounds like you're underequipped. Get better armor, it cut the damage I got to about a half and helped immensely.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That only works on direct attacks, on multi target attacks the thing won't work ;)

I don't mean his ability just generally tankiness. As in he can take a bosses normal attacks without being greatly damaged and without default. If he has a high enough job level you could even use his iron ability to get the job done.

sharnaak

I think everyone was 27-28... ( ._.) Also, to elaborate a bit I used specials, that's why he got down so early. Still, the damage from them was pretty crazy. About 3000 each if I remember correctly.

Just did it as well, pretty common I guess, my Tiz as a Thief critted him for 6k+ with the bow special, but I had also the right element on the attack. I had more problems with beelzebub to be honest

I did it around 15-16 when I had more than 600hp on all char and I tried to always have at least 3 char on default for the turn he was about to cast acid, also helped that my blm had as a second set of spells whm ones.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah, sounds like you're underequipped. Get better armor, it cut the damage I got to about a half and helped immensely.

I had mythril armour, can you get better armour at that point in the game, granted I went for the lighter version for mages which might be it/

McNum

Well, I looked up what you need to do to
get a bad ending. Yeah, I'm putting this in Paper Mario class. "Press X for 3 minutes to shatter a crystal"? I'll try not to do that.

Grampasso

I don't mean his ability just generally tankiness. As in he can take a bosses normal attacks without being greatly damaged and without default. If he has a high enough job level you could even use his iron ability to get the job done.
I get what you mean, but if people continue getting 1 shot at full health with the AoE attack and raises defence there must something else I don't get.

Metaledgeking

Neo Member
Oh man it's been hard staying away from this thread seeing as I have to wait till February. By the way, to those that do have the game, what is the deal with the alternate outfits?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I get what you mean, but if people continue getting 1 shot at full health with the AoE attack and raises defence there must something else I don't get.

He doesn't spam the move, that's why it should be an issue. It takes a few turns to get into gluttony and then and few to use the move you default your other characters use your tankiest to rez and use potion on WM, default with that character, as well as well as the rest unless they have high enough health to attakc, use group or single cure and get everyone to full hp, dps the boss again and then prepare for next acid.

I had mythril armour, can you get better armour at that point in the game, granted I went for the lighter version for mages which might be it/

Yeah, I went for the heavier armour. I think my party was something like Knight, Monk, Black Mage and White Mage. Knights learn "P.Defense 10% up" at level 3 which can be really useful for your mages.

Zornica

Banned
I went back today and indeed: the store went from 3 dozen copies to having just the 3 copies left. Seems this game is selling way better than I would have imagined.

I am glad it sells well, but I fear shortages might hinder it's success.

Also I am very bad at this game... I don't understand what I am doing wrong.
does my party just suck? level not high enough? the orcs in the first dungeon posed already a huge threat for my party :7

I am glad it sells well, but I fear shortages might hinder it's success.

Also I am very bad at this game... I don't understand what I am doing wrong.
does my party just suck? level not high enough? the orcs in the first dungeon posed already a huge threat for my party :7

Don't play it like your usual JPRG. "Default" is basically "Defend" plus an additional attack in your next turn. You'll have to play rather defensively when you arrive at a new area.

First sub-quest question:
I defeated the merchant and found some papers telling me to go to the mill at night. However, there's a guard there telling me the area is off limit. Do I have to come back later or am I at the wrong place?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
First sub-quest question:
I defeated the merchant and found some papers telling me to go to the mill at night. However, there's a guard there telling me the area is off limit. Do I have to come back later or am I at the wrong place?

Advance in the story, and you will be able to enter.

Beginning of Chapter 3 spoilers:

Olivia ;_; I was scared for a moment that the two council members would wreck me :phew Now I'm at grandship, pretty cool. Can't wait to find out what the next batch of jobs is.

alexein

Just got the game, but i still have to finish the demo, i'm at the dragon.
I'm in the middle of adding everyone from the list.
Please add me Alexein
3995-6548-2719

Joqu

I still can't believe I'm actually playing Bravely Default after waiting so long. Is that weird?

Still, it certainly doesn't disappoint. <3

Evenbillybob

Neo Member
This game is ridiculously good. I feel for you, US brethrens! I've added a majority of the Friends Code's on the second post, if anyone would like to add me, please feel free:

0361-6769-2623

I added you! I have added a bunch of people from the second post as well, so if anybody want to add me, my friend code is 1590-5128-6325.

This game is really something special. I haven't gotten very far yet, but I can tell it will be quite a ride.
By the way, does anybody know if some of the jobs are obtained through sidequests or do they only unlock through the story?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I swtiched back and forth between japanese and english text while playing before determining which one I should stick with. I noticed that the japanese text is a lot more "normal" while the english one is really made in "shakespearean" language.

Lots of times, the translation does not match the original, but the english "shakepearean" is too good so I think I will stay with it. Although it is a bit confusing when dialogue and text don't match xD

Great backgrounds and I love the music from Revo from Sound Horizon :D

EDIT: Edea is my favorite among the protagonists, her voice!

One of the things that bothered me about the original Japanese game is just how normal it sounded. The whole thing, including many of the plot points, felt overly cynical and pandering to otaku types to me. I realize that's very much a preference thing, but I feel like a more stylized form of dialogue would have fit the game better. Glad to hear some effort was put into the English localization on that front, even if it is somewhat different from the original.

Qurupeke

Ch. 1: I obtained the
Spell Fencer
and I have a question about it.
The power of its hits, even with the elemental effect, are based on the P.Atk only right?

Which Final Fantasy is this most comparable to? I enjoyed FF3 on the DS back when I bought it in like 2007... haven't bought my own JRPG since then so I might buy this one and actually finish it.

Grampasso

He doesn't spam the move, that's why it should be an issue. It takes a few turns to get into gluttony and then and few to use the move you default your other characters use your tankiest to rez and use potion on WM, default with that character, as well as well as the rest unless they have high enough health to attakc, use group or single cure and get everyone to full hp, dps the boss again and then prepare for next acid.
Well, just had to increase defense stat. Got max armor with everyone and that + all sub white mages for protect did the trick.
Thanks everyone for the tips! Now I just need to kill the other 3 XD

Kater

Banned
Wasted all of the good friend summons way too early on in the game and now I can't beat that thiefing crybaby
in the cave west from Anchheim
since my own fighters are not good enough to beat him.

Oh well, back to Autobattle grinding. :/

Ragus

Banned
jxAiLulws0G9Q.jpg

That is one sexy cover art. After 3DWorld and Ace Attorney 5, we'll have a great time together, Bravely Default.

Top Bottom