• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

I'm looking to get a good RPG for my 3DS and this being shiny and new I want to buy it.

On the other hand there's also Soul Hackers and Devil Survivor Overclocked that I want and as I only have money for one out of three I'm turning to GAF for advice.

I enjoy a good story a lot more than stat grinding, however rewarding that may be.

I'd pretty much drop Soul Hackers straight away of those three. It's a (fairly direct) port of 90's dungeon crawler. It's not a bad game but after playing later SMT games you'll find a lot of it pointlessly grindy (like Magnetite to keep demons summoned, demons not being to level up so you have to fuse more etc) and as a dungeon crawler the story isn't bad but it's not handed out well (Talk -> Enter Dungeon Talk -> Area Transition Talks -> Boss Talks -> Goto Step 1).

I can't really help you on DSO vs BD, I'd highly recommend either of them.

Bravely Default is a bit more polished though (since DSO is largely a port of a DS game, and the additional content doesn't mesh perfectly with the original game story wise).

DSix

Banned
I can't decide between using French or English subtitles, which are the best? Should I also consider using English voices?

so i went back to game tonight only to find they still hadn't received the other preorders. i got my deposit back & went home to download the game via the eshop.
unfortunately i didn't bother to do a single bit of research & after paying for the game, i realised it was too large for my SD card, haha.
i am doomed to never play this damned thing.

so i went back to game tonight only to find they still hadn't received the other preorders. i got my deposit back & went home to download the game via the eshop.
unfortunately i didn't bother to do a single bit of research & after paying for the game, i realised it was too large for my SD card, haha.
i am doomed to never play this damned thing.

Actually you can't buy something on the eShop unless it fits on your card, the block check is done before the payment is taken. The money will be in your eShop Wallet.

Samething happened to me , but I had a spare Class 2 8 GB card laying around. There's noticeable lag in changing areas and when a random encounter loads for the first time in a while but its playable until Monday.

Shun

How's the customizing in the game in terms of classes?

Would you consider it Final Fantasy Tactics-esque system for jobs and skills or is it like Fire Emblem Awakening where you have so many options it's hard deciding an end game party?

How's the customizing in the game in terms of classes?

Would you consider it Final Fantasy Tactics-esque system for jobs and skills or is it like Fire Emblem Awakening where you have so many options it's hard deciding an end game party?

It's more like FF5/Tactics in that abilities are grouped into "Command Abilities" (you automatically have the Command Set for your current job equipped and can equip 1 other) and Support Abilities (you can have 1-5 equipped depending on how far through the game you are but you don't automatically get the Support Abilities you know from your current class) each class also has a "Specialty" which is basically a free Support ability set by the class (you can learn pretty much all of them as Support Abilities except for the Freelancers by levelling up the job).

Cerity

I just beat orthos, my entire team was level 20. really enjoying the game. I seemed pretty overlevelled but my strat was
Tiz(thief) & Edea(knight) attacking normally, which dealt 500-1k depending on crits, Agnes(white mage) defaulting/healing and Ringabel(black mage) defaulting/casting blizz or fire. Didn't have much trouble at all, I saw the specials option and I completely forgot about them until I noticed them glowing, set everyone to use their respective special, ringabel went first and finished off the last head :lol

The brave/default mechanic really makes dealing with mooks ridiculous easy, probably the best thing about the game IMO. In other jrpgs, battles like these get pretty tiring but being able to clear it all in one turn is fantastic.

Aeana

Merchant's dark cartel/big pharma ability doesn't seem to give you money for healing an enemy at max HP anymore... it heals for 0 if they're at max, so you get nothing. This is devastating. :(

Lee N

Membre
Alright, so I've had the retail version of Bravely Default for a couple of days now but I have yet to pop the cartridge into my 3DS due to time constraints and playing other games instead. Now I'm hearing that demo version has exclusive content and unlocks for the full version so my question is; should I bother working my way through the demo before heading on to the actual game?

I've gotten two rewards in the demo already, one for playing the demo and one for maxing out my town and now I've worked my way to the boss in the cave but she's pretty much one-hitting my entire party and and I'm thinking maybe it's a waste of time leveling up in a demo version for a game I already own…

Enlighten me GAF!

ramyeon

Alright, so I've had the retail version of Bravely Default for a couple of days now but I have yet to pop the cartridge into my 3DS due to time constraints and playing other games instead. Now I'm hearing that demo version has exclusive content and unlocks for the full version so my question is; should I bother working my way through the demo before heading on to the actual game?

I've gotten two rewards in the demo already, one for playing the demo and one for maxing out my town and now I've worked my way to the boss in the cave but she's pretty much one-hitting my entire party and and I'm thinking maybe it's a waste of time leveling up in a demo version for a game I already own…

Enlighten me GAF!
The rewards aren't worth doing the demo just to get. They're a nice extra but they're totally irrelevant after an hour or so into the main game. The best thing you get is the villagers from your town, and you don't need to beat it to transfer those.

Lee N

Membre
The rewards aren't worth doing the demo just to get. They're a nice extra but they're totally irrelevant after an hour or so into the main game. The best thing you get is the villagers from your town, and you don't need to beat it to transfer those.

Ok, I reckon it's time to call it quits and head on to the proper game then. I managed to beat the Melusia now anyway so I'm not quitting because I'm getting my ass handed to me - I promise! ;)

I guess the demo is better suited for you before the release of the retail version, or if you can't afford it yet. Still, it's a very nice demo - plenty of content to keep you going for a while.

Thanks Ema!

Chaeotic

Neo Member
Bought yesterday, and this game is absolutely stunning! Hopefully it maintains the momentum is has throughout the first few chapters.

Friend code - 0490-5744-0920
GAF Username - Chaeotic
Country - Australia

Pm me if you add, I've added all fellow aussies

Karadaliev

Neo Member
I've got the game yesterday and indeed is everything I wanted to play for the past few years now. I'm still new in this friend code thing (I've got 3DS for Bravely Default) and I don't have any friends, and I can't manage to get any StreetPass-ess either (apparently nobody have 3DS in my town?!).

So, is there any way to get villagers any other way that StreetPass? Or I will rebuild it with only one settler :). And how adding people in my 3DS works, when I add somebody there they will receive a notification there, or I need to give them my friend code here too?

Either way, I've added ThePeoplesBureau, Roboleon, blu, alienmonkey, Oxx (amazing nickname!!!) and Chaeotic so far.

Friend code - 3625-9327-8182
GAF Username - Karadaliev
Country - I'm from Bulgaria (UTC+2)

Qurupeke

Remember the owl you saw where the wind crystal is? You gotta "challenge" them and resist an attack from the summon. Make sure to save beforehand.

Thanks! Only Tiz survived with like 15 HP... And I suppose I can find more summons like that later?

ramyeon

Man, I really can't decide on any one job for very long. Just unlocked the Pirate asterisk and now I wanna try that, the only axe I can buy is from Norende and it's like 40,000pg though haha. My current lineup is Spell Fencer, Hunter, Valkyrie and White Mage and it is working really, really well. If I were to try Pirate I'd probably change my Hunter (Ringabel).

Sigh, just realized that I can't play much until winter break starts. Stupid 3 assignment need to be completed this week :'(
Thanks! Only Tiz survived with like 15 HP... And I suppose I can find more summons like that later?

Yes. There are 6 summons altogether

Karadaliev

Neo Member
Hey guys, do you know is there any reason to level up the Freelancer's job at the beginning? Because I've just got the monk and white mage and looks like it will be good idea to change to them immediately.

And most importantly - is there a way to see all the possible abilities for a certain job in game, for example the way that this was possible in Final Fantasy Tactics?

Kater

Banned
Hey guys, do you know is there any reason to level up the Freelancer's job at the beginning? Because I've just got the monk and white mage and looks like it will be good idea to change to them immediately.

And most importantly - is there a way to see all the possible abilities for a certain job in game, for example the way that this was possible in Final Fantasy Tactics?

#1) Examine and Treat can be very useful in battle. Also, the Freelancer learns a skill later on that lets you see how many chests there are left hidden in a dungeon.

#2) I don't think you can do that. But maybe I just missed something.

Well, you can see what abilities you will learn by abilinking with someone who's higher level in the job I guess. But then you can already use them yourself so it kills some of the purpose of levelling a job.

Mendrox

Love the game, my Nintendo ID is 2723-9643-4996 would love some people to add me... i will add everyone from the op :) Do these people have to add me too?

Mendrox

Love the game, my Nintendo ID is 2723-9643-4996 would love some people to add me... i will add everyone from the op :) Do these people have to add me too?

Okay I just added the first 10 people from the Friendcode List and every German person. Please add me back 2723-9643-4996 :)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Okay I just added the first 10 people from the Friendcode List and every German person. Please add me back 2723-9643-4996 :)

Added also,

I do enjoy the extra stuff in this game wouldn't mind the bravely second also if it wasn't part of micro transaction scheme.

Jinko

So I got my armoury shop to lvl 11 and it said onion armour but I can't find it in the adventurers shop, any idea where you get it ? (not that I can afford it lol)

Edit:- Never mind its an onion shirt and its in a different tab to the general armour., only costs 200k ;.;

Absolutely love the summon on KO ability also lol

R.I.P

Anyone else here not using ablinks and friend summons? I tried both towards the beginning, but using them made me feel like I was cheating and IMO playing the game is a lot more rewarding without them.

Oxx

Anyone else here not using ablinks and friend summons? I tried both towards the beginning, but using them made me feel like I was cheating and IMO playing the game is a lot more rewarding without them.

I still don't really know how the system works.

Haven't had any trouble yet, so I haven't used the recharging/microtransaction stuff either.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Yeah I don't bother, I enjoy this game because of the fairly even challenge (each major boss for the most part forces you to play fairly different), kinda pointless overpowering myself and removing that type of fun from the game. I still want more friends though lol.

I enjoy the village stuff though, feels like your contributing to without properly playing it. Since I don't really have the time.

I recently got the 3DS due to black Friday deals and games like these made it worth every penny.

R.I.P

Yeah I don't bother, I enjoy this game because of the fairly even challenge (each major boss for the most part forces you to play fairly different), kinda pointless overpowering myself and removing that type of fun from the game. I still want more friends though lol.

I enjoy the village stuff though, feels like your contributing to without properly playing it.

Yeah I tried a strong friend summon in one boss battle and it killed the boss in one hit, haven't been using it since.

I agree that the village stuff is really nice and quite addicting as well.

Jinko

Nope I don't see as cheating, it would have made more sense to share support abilities across party members though.

Friends summons are good (as long as your friends update their moves, which many don't -.-) I only use them when in a pinch though.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nope I don't see as cheating, it would have made more sense to share support abilities across party members though.

Friends summons are good (as long as your friends update their moves, which many don't -.-) I only use them when in a pinch though.

I'll admit I don't do that probably should I do often upload though.

flowsnake

Abilink makes job progression boring, certainly. It's the kind of thing I would use if I was really stuck only...but there's easy mode for that anyway.

In a sense yes, but you can't rely completely on Abilink anyway since it actually consumes more mp/bp for skills that you haven't unlocked by leveling your jobs.

Top Bottom