• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Chapter 3 Spoiler:

the three automatons in the keep completely wrecked me and they don't seem to be weak to any Black Magic and I forgot to test Aero. Gotta equip my Ringabel with Time Magic to try Quara on these fuckers.

They're weak to Thunder. If I could give you an advice, try to level up Magic Swordsman job to allow all your team to throw thunder attacks.

They're weak to Thunder. If I could give you an advice, try to level up Magic Swordsman job to allow all your team to throw thunder attacks.

Huh, weird. I could have sworn that I tried that. Luckily I have two baller Spell Swords. brb reassigning jobs and trying again.

Ragus

Banned
Seeing all those FCs in this thread, I've got to ask:

Will I miss a lot, if I don't use WiFi connection in this game?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Torn between picking up this or Fire Emblem. Big fan of the 90s Final Fantasy games, they lost me afterwards though. Any recommendation (i'd like to get both eventually but looking for something to keep me entertained over the festive period).

Fire emblem has better combat animations, I found the story more interesting, was more attached to my character and and crew. However difficult and challenge aren't really it's strong points. Your character can very quickly snowball into being completely overpowered. It evens out a bit by the end but it certainly wasn't consistent, still a very good game.

This is mostly the opposite the story doesn't intrigue me as much, combat animations aren't as good but they get better the further on you are and there's a lot of story related bloat since it's fully voiced which wouldn't be as bad if the story interested me more (it's not bad per say just not that intriguing).

However the combat in this is ace, there's challenge abound, it's a fairly tough game overall and so far I've never felt overpowered, then only time you would really be is if you grinded a heck of a lot. It constantly forces you to think different and adapt to bosses and scenarios and it's a very engrossing game. It less stat dependent and more tactics orientated.

Comes down to your preferences. I'm pretty much liking this more almost solely based on it's combat..

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Torn between picking up this or Fire Emblem. Big fan of the 90s Final Fantasy games, they lost me afterwards though. Any recommendation (i'd like to get both eventually but looking for something to keep me entertained over the festive period).
As you note yourself, it's not an 'either-or' situation - both games are exemplary titles from their respective genres. So pick whichever you feel more like playing ATM. Mind you, neither game is short, but perhaps FE is the longer-to-beat game.

Can't get this game out of my head....Usually I don't play RPG's. The only RPG I've played was Ni No Kuni and enjoyed that a lot. I got a very time consuming job atm, and I'm put off by those statts ( worried that it'll take too much time to get into the game ). What do you GAF....is this recommended for people who hardly play RPG's?
I used to play JRPG a lot, until I practically lost interest in the genre about ten years ago. Enter 2010 when 4HoL single-handedly brought back the fun. In comparison, BD is a way more streamlined experience. So I say give it a try. If you don't find it attractive perhaps the genre is not for you (which would be perfectly understandable as not many people are into it).

Oh, and those town invaders are not level 10. Ruddy nails.
Some of them are not lvl 10. At all ; )

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Chapter 3 Spoiler:

the three automatons in the keep completely wrecked me and they don't seem to be weak to any Black Magic and I forgot to test Aero. Gotta equip my Ringabel with Time Magic to try Quara on these fuckers.

There probably simpler than the previous bosses for me at least. Didn't bother with weakness like you I thought I tried thunder without much effect. It's pretty much effective damage mitigation and burst. If you did village minigame and got all the base specials, use them to burst down 1. If you have two tanky characters and have them use default or their abilities to mitigate the charge attack, then use your white mage, to have protect on your squishes and cure all. Burst down the second, rinse and repeat..

As you note yourself, it's not an 'either-or' situation - both games are exemplary titles from their respective genres. So pick whichever you feel more like playing ATM. Mind you, neither game is short, but perhaps FE is the longer-to-beat game.

FE is longer how, I burst through that game fairly quickly granted I'm busier now so I have less time to play BD.

Kater

Banned
You think you are all high and mighty when you enter that cave to get that stupid
thread
and suddenly,
a dragon appears and kills off your party in two rounds
Nooo. :(
What is best used to defeat
those mythical, scaled
baddies?

Qurupeke

Chapter 3 Spoiler:

I think I one shot them on the second turn. I used the examine ability and they were weak to lightning. They fell on a barrage of Crescent moon, Stomps and of course Thunderas.

blu

You think you are all high and mighty when you enter that cave to get that stupid
thread
and suddenly,
those mythical, scaled
baddies?
I had no issues with that boss whatsoever with the most unimaginative party possible: white + black mages, a knight and a freelancer. Kept a couple of special moves for the occasion (ie. the imminent boss fight at the end of every dungeon) - that usually helps too. And of course leveling and equipment. 90% of my boss fights start with a freelancer examining the target first.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
thread
and suddenly,
those mythical, scaled
baddies?

That Dragon is a very important crash course into the game it's pretty much when your forced to learn when to bravely and when to default. First take bangles that provide health for any squisher characters (they help a lot), buy the best armour you can up to that point. Never attack out of turn, so when ever you do anything whether brave or not make you it's always -1. When the Dragon attacks you default. Don't attack with healer. When the healer has two brave points you cure all and use a regular cure on the character with the lowest health. I think ice works as vul so focus on that for damage. Whatever damage the dragon does you do the same with healing. As long as you attack out of turn it should be fairly easy. regardless of what your running.

Peff

Finally got it yesterday (figures it'd be the one Nintendo game this year not to be sold a couple of days before release), and man, this game feels like someone rolled console generations back by one and FFV was developed during the PSX days. I like the no-nonsense approach to the pacing: it only takes a couple of hours for the full party to come under the player's control and obtain a flying airship, plus you keep unlocking new jobs, slots and shops in the town which help make everything constantly fresh. It also looks and sounds gorgeous, the backgrounds are lovely, especially in 3D and so far I like all the tracks I've heard. That overworld music!

Also, I think the one thing worth highlighting is how polished and well thought-out the interface is. You generally get all the information you need and it's visually appealing and clear, plus the difficulty customization aspects and all the little shortcuts during battle (like being able to play using the D-Pad only, the on-the-fly speed adjustments or switching to auto-battle) are really welcome. It's all been done before, yes, and not all of it was in the original release, but it shows that they put a focus on appealing to all sorts of players. Not a bad way to say goodbye to 2013 and the strong string of games in the past few weeks like ALBW or 3D World.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Finally got it yesterday (figures it'd be the one Nintendo game this year not to be sold a couple of days before release), and man, this game feels like someone rolled console generations back by one and FFV was developed during the PSX days. I like the no-nonsense approach to the pacing: it only takes a couple of hours for the full party to come under the player's control and obtain a flying airship, plus you keep unlocking new jobs, slots and shops in the town which help make everything constantly fresh. It also looks and sounds gorgeous, the backgrounds are lovely, especially in 3D and so far I like all the tracks I've heard. That overworld music!

Also, I think the one thing worth highlighting is how polished and well thought-out the interface is. You generally get all the information you need and it's visually appealing and clear, plus the difficulty customization aspects and all the little shortcuts during battle (like being able to play using the D-Pad only, the on-the-fly speed adjustments or switching to auto-battle) are really welcome. It's all been done before, yes, and not all of it was in the original release, but it shows that they put a focus on appealing to all sorts of players. Not a bad way to say goodbye to 2013 and the strong string of games in the past few weeks like ALBW or 3D World.

TBF your not playing the original release your playing an enhanced version of the Original Japanese game called "for the sequel". They simply used that version for the western release.

It really is a better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy. This is like a modernised throwback to when these games were about actual gameplay instead of underaged boys that look like little girls and unnecessary cutscenes out the ass. The limitations this game sort of imposed on itself, means the story is relatively normal with little to no anime BS, the voicework is sort of basic, but it fits the game overall and the writing is solid as well.

I hope none of those retards that ruined FF get to touch this series with their "Beautiful characters" and "dramatic stories", instead I hope this game sells really well in the West to send a strong message. But I guess that's most likely a pipe dream.

krossj

Having a great time with this! Just defeated
orthros
and unlocked a few more jobs.

More villagers and unlocking things at a steady pace is nice but I'm not going to bother with the summon/ abilink features. They sound like they completely break the game.

There probably simpler than the previous bosses for me at least. Didn't bother with weakness like you I thought I tried thunder without much effect. It's pretty much effective damage mitigation and burst. If you did village minigame and got all the base specials, use them to burst down 1. If you have two tanky characters and have them use default or their abilities to mitigate the charge attack, then use your white mage, to have protect on your squishes and cure all. Burst down the second, rinse and repeat..

I think I one shot them on the second turn. I used the examine ability and they were weak to lightning. They fell on a barrage of Crescent moon, Stomps and of course Thunderas.

Yup, Thundara enhanced Spell Swords had no trouble with the automatons. It was quite the cakewalk actually. I really must have missed Thunder when I tried all the spells on them on my first try.

fertygo

It really is a better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy. This is like a modernised throwback to when these games were about actual gameplay instead of underaged boys that look like little girls and unnecessary cutscenes out the ass. The limitations this game sort of imposed on itself, means the story is relatively normal with little to no anime BS, the voicework is sort of basic, but it fits the game overall and the writing is solid as well.

I hope none of those retards that ruined FF get to touch this series with their "Beautiful characters" and "dramatic stories", instead I hope this game sells really well in the West to send a strong message. But I guess that's most likely a pipe dream.

What game are you playing sir

Jinko

I stopped using abilinks since it wasn't fun anymore to level up jobs since you could use your friend's abilities somewhat.

Also for the second sidequest chain
the one with the fairies in Florem Gardens where you get the summoner job, is the boss supposed to be really easy ? Because i literally killed her in one turn by unloading everything ( without a summon friend attack even, just a special and some big attacks and using all the turns i could ) and i don't feel i have been grinding or that i am overpowered. I fear i might need to turn on Hard mode soon.

Yea Chapter 2 is quite easy, 3 not so much.

Kouriozan

* Start every building upgrade, puts enough villagers so they finish in 8~10 hours
* Put 3DS in sleep mode
* Go to bed
* ????
* Profit!

Taking my time and enjoying the game as much as I can!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
* Start every building upgrade, puts enough villagers so they finish in 8~10 hours
* Put 3DS in sleep mode
* Go to bed
* ????
* Profit!

Taking my time and enjoying the game as much as I can!

That's obviously the purpose of the system same reason you get Brave second points on a long ass timer. Still I don't want to ruin my new 3DS battery already by leaving it charging overnight and no idea how long it serves in sleep mode with a game.

Shun

That's obviously the purpose of the system same reason you get Brave second points on a long ass timer. Still I don't want to ruin my new 3DS battery already by leaving it charging overnight and no idea how long it serves in sleep mode with a game.

No need to worry about that, the 3DS isn't meant to be turned off and any drains to the battery is insignificant. Your battery is gonna be fine, especially if it's an XL.

antonz

3DS was designed to never turn off. It is smart enough to know when battery is charged and wont attempt to keep pushing juice to it and harm the battery. Whole point of the cradle is constantly keeping it charged when not in use

Principate

Saint Titanfall
3DS was designed to never turn off. It is smart enough to know when battery is charged and wont attempt to keep pushing juice to it and harm the battery. Whole point of the cradle is constantly keeping it charged when not in use

Good to know thanks.

McNum

I have a launch 3DS. It's been off for about... 50 hours total since then. Still has the expected 4-5 hours of battery when playing. Kind of wish it was more than that, but that's what the launch 3DS was born with.

Also, just reached chapter 1. I take it this is when the game begins to open up a bit? I hope I get some more jobs soon. Not that Edea isn't rocking the Black Mage outfit, but I'm wondering if I should reclass her to something physical instead... Ah, well, I don't really think it's possible to go wrong with the jobs here. Just less right. I hope I get
Ninja
soon, though. It was awesome in the demo.

Kater

Banned
That Dragon is a very important crash course into the game it's pretty much when your forced to learn when to bravely and when to default. First take bangles that provide health for any squisher characters (they help a lot), buy the best armour you can up to that point. Never attack out of turn, so when ever you do anything whether brave or not make you it's always -1. When the Dragon attacks you default. Don't attack with healer. When the healer has two brave points you cure all and use a regular cure on the character with the lowest health. I think ice works as vul so focus on that for damage. Whatever damage the dragon does you do the same with healing. As long as you attack out of turn it should be fairly easy. regardless of what your running.

Wow, thanks a bunch, I will bookmark your and blu's tips for when I get back in the game.

Again, thanks blu & Principate you are really helping me out here! :D

Jacobbles

I just got up to
Orthos
and this is the first time I'm having real trouble with a boss.

Also: this game is fantastic so far.

ss-hikaru

So does anyone here love Edea enough to
eat her marshmallow and condensed milk risotto?
:p

I've been pleasantly surprised with the story/characters so far. When Tiz started yelling at
the Jackal for not trying to talk things out with his family, I was expecting a whole MY FAMILY IS DEAD I CAN'T EVEN TALK TO THEM ANYMORE BOO HOO spiel
which would've been cringworthy (but expected based on my experience with JRPGs/anime).

Also got a bit of a laugh when Edea labelled
the king of Ancheim as black as black can be
to which Agnes replied that not everyone is interested in viewing the world in solely black and white
only for the King to be a total villain in the end
XD

I noticed some other gaffers were finding Agnes and Tiz kinda annoying, I'm feeling that Ringabel is the most annoying of the lot (the whole I'm obsessed with women schtick isn't funny the 100th time round) but his facial expressions combined with his style of speech crack me up and stop him from crossing the line into irritating.

ramyeon

Holy shit. The Salve Maker boss is ridiculous. His Dark Breath attack pretty much guarantees a OHKO since it deals as much damage as he is missing, and his Poison Hi Potion attack poisons the target AND deals 1000 damage. Gonna have to rethink my strategy for this one.

Cerity

Man. Was getting my ass kicked by one of the job bosses,
summoner specifically, I pretty much ran through miasma forest and was only level 22 at the time
. Cranked up the encounter rates, found a suitable automode, 5 levels and 20 minutes later I'm back and just destroyed it. Convenience.

ramyeon

The difficulty in this really ramps up... Had to put off the Salbe Maker boss fight and went on to the
Fire Temple
... now the boss there is destroying my party. I'm level 44, don't think I'm under levelled but wow...

blu

For those here who are both new to the game and wondering what job classes to pursue at the early chapters:

The game gives clear hints to what some of the characters natural predispositions are. For instance, D journal* has an early reference to a certain event in Ringabell's past which portraits him as a
mage of some kind
. And Edea's natural job is revealed in the opening cinematic and further detailed in the journal. So there's that.

* warning: D journal is a wicked in-game spoiler book - don't read too far down in it if you want to keep all the plot unspoiled!

Azusa

While I'm waiting for my copy to arrive, I decided to try a demo version. I have finished it just a minutes ago and I don't know how I feel about difficulty in game. I played on normal with +50% encounters and I think the game is too easy. What do you think, should I play a full game on hard? Wont it be ridiculously hard?
Oh, and I don't mind grinding. This game has very userfriendly grinding gameplay.

Shane

While I'm waiting for my copy to arrive, I decided to try a demo version. I have finished it just a minutes ago and I don't know how I feel about difficulty in game. I played on normal with +50% encounters and I think the game is too easy. What do you think, should I play a full game on hard? Wont it be ridiculously hard?
Oh, and I don't mind grinding. This game has very userfriendly grinding gameplay.

I'm five hours in and it's hard when it needs to be on normal. The early encounters are there to help level up as the game introduces functions step-by-step rather than an initial overload. And I couldn't be doing with 50% extra encounters. They'd never end in the dungeons.

ramyeon

The difference between Easy and Normal is really huge. I could not, for the life of me, overcome the Salve Maker boss. Even after grinding almost 10 levels to level 52 I just couldn't overcome him. Switched it down to Easy and he went down, well... easily :/ kinda unsatisfying. Don't want to even imagine what Hard is like.

Kater

Banned

The game gradually introduces stronger enemies and boss enemies in every new region so as long as you prepare yourself (gear up and grind a little) you won't have problems with the game on hard difficulty.
I say, go for it!

Raxious

Currently lvl 12 with the first 3 characters, just unlocked the 4th
finished the 2nd dungeon
, job levels around lvl 4, and really liking the game so far. Those poison / blinding dudes were pretty annoying, but after I bought the fist weapon you can unlock by leveling the weapon smith in your city I started to one shot them all xD doing 150 damage each hit is pretty nice for that level.

I've actually started to invest heavily in the weapon smith considering the damage output those weapons give my characters. Only problem is that they're quite expensive.

Right now for example if I'm facing 3 enemies, I just use Tiz to unleash 3 brave attacks and I'm done in a couple of seconds.

Qurupeke

The difficulty in this really ramps up... Had to put off the Salbe Maker boss fight and went on to the
Fire Temple
... now the boss there is destroying my party. I'm level 44, don't think I'm under levelled but wow...

I was level 54-55 and yet, the boss destroyed me the first time. It's quite tricky...

When it has this purple aura, be defensive. Heal, default, power up. The damage you do to him is negligible. When the purple aura is out(he uses a transform action), hit fast and hard. Watch out for the charge attack it uses though. It deals about 3000 damage to every character iirc. Its HP is 40000, not much actually, and it's weak to thunder, so try to make your specials thunder.

ramyeon

I was level 54-55 and yet, the boss destroyed me the first time. It's quite tricky...

When it has this purple aura, be defensive. Heal, default, power up. The damage you do to him is negligible. When the purple aura is out(he uses a transform action), hit fast and hard. Watch out for the charge attack it uses though. It deals about 3000 damage to every character iirc. Its HP is 40000, not much actually, and it's weak to thunder, so try to make your specials thunder.
Yeah, that charge attack is what gets me every time. He seems to use it on the first turn directly after he transforms and then wipes out my party with that :/ I'll have to give it another shot with Lightning specials. My party are all lv 52 now after struggling with the Salve Maker sub quest (Had to put it on Easy to even beat him... ugh).

Top Bottom