• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

I'm definitely not using Ablink as it really undermines character progression and the fun of it.
Friend Summons I generally don't find very useful anyway. It's hard to predict how effective/strong an attack is going to be and more often than not they are weaker than my own attacks. Except for that one time when the guy did 9999 damage.

Shane

Walked around several stores in Manchester City Centre today. Not one copy on the shelves. Finally asked at the HMV counter and they had one copy on a stack behind them.

So I bought it.

I've not bought a game with microtransations for a long time but gave this a shot. Up for forgiving and trying again now and then. That the button for them glows during combat is irritating. Annoyed I broke my usual rule.

But let's take a step back. I haven't played a JRPG since - I think - FFVII and then I didn't finish that. So far I'm enjoying this. Have the Japanese audio and English subs on. If I have the English on it feels wierd quick reading text; not so with Japanese audio. The 3D has a really small sweet spot and the XL screen shows the resolution stretch.

The brave/default/freeze/fast-forward battle sequences are just right at the moment. Enough depth without slowing the action to a crawl.

Hand drawn town backdrops are neat.

Usual characters and women that look like 14 year old girls malarkey. Maybe there'll be some decent writing later. Fingers crossed.

Overall, pissed at the flashing 'S' for boosts during combat. Characters are currently flat/typical. Combat mechanics showing promise. Nice art.

It hasn't changed my perception of JRPGs. Yet. No doubt plenty of hours left for that to go either way.

Friend code: 2079-7447-3145

Kater

Banned
TBF friend summons etc would be kind of cheating, if he's Japanese I imagine he's completed the game before.

Still impressive non the less.
It's not really cheating though.
I think it's built in so that there's a social aspect to the game and to make it easier for the people who are new to jRPGs.

I use it because I really like those battle stances and the fast music (and I'm too lazy to prepare myself properly for a boss, sometimes :/).

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I stopped using abilinks since it wasn't fun anymore to level up jobs since you could use your friend's abilities somewhat.

Also for the second sidequest chain
the one with the fairies in Florem Gardens where you get the summoner job, is the boss supposed to be really easy ? Because i literally killed her in one turn by unloading everything ( without a summon friend attack even, just a special and some big attacks and using all the turns i could ) and i don't feel i have been grinding or that i am overpowered. I fear i might need to turn on Hard mode soon.

Shane

Will shortly try out the social aspect of it. Seems to be inspired by Dark Souls take on it which is a good things, only with a little more choice in the matter. The social aspect to the 3DS is one of my favourite features.

Question on jobs: are certain characters better at some jobs than others or is it all open? I'm hoping it's completely open so Agnes can kick arse as a monk whilst that guy who looks like a barbie doll can heal.

Will shortly try out the social aspect of it. Seems to be inspired by Dark Souls take on it which is a good things, only with a little more choice in the matter. The social aspect to the 3DS is one of my favourite features.

Question on jobs: are certain characters better at some jobs than others or is it all open? I'm hoping it's completely open so Agnes can kick arse as a monk whilst that guy who looks like a barbie doll can heal.

I compared stats between characters with the same level, job and equipment and there were some differences, but not dramatically so. It's not something I think about when I decide who gets which job.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I think there is some slight preferences in regards to stats but I don't think your in any major disadvantage, for picking what you want since ultimately they want you to mix and match as much as possible (though physical and magic are generally ill advised outside of vulnerabilities, and utility skills). E.g edea has a preference for knight/tanky physical, Tiz all round, Ag is mage, and the last guy is more of the agility type in other games.

But really this game is more about countering a specific bosses than maximising stats, bosses will throw as many curveballs to your rhythm as physically possible, so don't worry about stats so much as mitigating enough damage and dealing enough.

Shane

Thanks for the quick responses. I was hoping that was the case as the open idea of the job system works better for me (like AD&D but you can class swap on the fly). I'd already allocated jobs as I saw fit but didn't want to get stuck halfway through if I shouldn't have been.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Beelzebub, recommended level : 10
*Try it at level 20.*

...Yeah, sure... level 10, haha :'(
And I have 3 of them >.<

I wish I had more, he's actually fairly easy, I don't mean that in an elitest sorta way more that there's bosses more of those types of bosses around chapter 2-3, so once you learn the overall trick you can handle it pretty well.

Like I said to the other guy you need at least one really tanky character and a fair amount of potions, phoenix. Also use protect before the acid.

Kouriozan

I wish I had more, he's actually fairly easy, I don't mean that in an elitest sorta way more that there's bosses more of those types of bosses around chapter 2-3, so once you learn the overall trick you can handle it pretty well.

Like I said to the other guy you need at least one really tanky character and a fair amount of potions, phoenix. Also use protect before the acid.

Yeah I'm still very early, just reached Yuyuna forest for the first time.

sharnaak

I like the job system so much! I have a Red Mage with mastery on summoning, black and white magic. :D

I don't know, I feel like there are so many "meh" job, I've been toying a bit with the valkyre and the summoner but I'm not so much into them, BLM felt so much more solid. I'll give a shot to rdm tomorrow though, if I don't die at work that is.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't know, I feel like there are so many "meh" job, I've been toying a bit with the valkyre and the summoner but I'm not so much into them, BLM felt so much more solid. I'll give a shot to rdm tomorrow though, if I don't die at work that is.

Valkryie is pretty crappy for the first few levels then it starts getting pretty awesome
mana block (lasts 10 turns), turn evade, and decent dps. Right up there in survivability with my warrior which takes off a lot of pressure from my squishes. Still it's support abilities leave much be desired (as in it doesn't get many and for many levels and the one it does get is useless to it when Valk is primary) so most characters can translate into it fairly well, keeping most of there strengths.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
So about the weird guys found in dungeons...
The first one i met said i didn't meet the qualifications, but this one in the Mount Fragmentum let's me fight him in a battle, get first turn priority, summons something, and i get one shot. What are they for and what do you get for beating them ? EDIT: On the third try, Agnes survived and i "won" haha

The first one i met said i didn't meet the qualifications, but this one in the Mount Fragmentum let's me fight him in a battle, get first turn priority, summons something, and i get one shot. What are they for and what do you get for beating them ?

They are the one who teach you summoning skills. Once you got Summoner job, you can find them in some dungeon to learn the skill from them. You need at least a party member survive its attack & you'll get the skill.

JimPanzer

The first one i met said i didn't meet the qualifications, but this one in the Mount Fragmentum let's me fight him in a battle, get first turn priority, summons something, and i get one shot. What are they for and what do you get for beating them ?

I think if you beat them the summoner job can summon them

daydream

Banned
Question about the end of the first side quest:
Anything else to do after beating Profiteur or is the note at the end just a setup for a different quest?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OK. Bought and downloaded the upgrade from the Japanese eShop. That took forever.

I also successfully transferred over my save data from the original. Is there any reason not to delete the data from Flying Fairy on my SD card now?

Also, I started a new game and carried over everything from my previous save (100% clear on the story), but is there any kind of New Game+ element to this with additional content or more difficult enemies, or is it simply the same game, except I have access to ultra powerful characters now?

I messed around a bit in the first town and the English localization seems quite good.

galvenize

That Fairy seems more and more suspicious.

Heh.

Good ending get I guess. I already wanted to destroy the 4th crystal in the first world but it wouldn't let me. I think I rushed things a bit too much: I didn't do all the blue quests in the second world and they contained important stuff regarding the plot so I'm going to do them now.

You gain the vestal garb costume for Agnès upon completion of the game. It says it changes appearance over time, I wonder how.

Time to give myself a challenge now defeating the bosses on hard.

Torn between picking up this or Fire Emblem. Big fan of the 90s Final Fantasy games, they lost me afterwards though. Any recommendation (i'd like to get both eventually but looking for something to keep me entertained over the festive period).

galvenize

Torn between picking up this or Fire Emblem. Big fan of the 90s Final Fantasy games, they lost me afterwards though. Any recommendation (i'd like to get both eventually but looking for something to keep me entertained over the festive period).

You absolutely can't go wrong picking up Bravely Default... Brilliant game. I want to try Fire Emblem as well and it will probably be my next game, this or Pokemon.

JimPanzer

if you are not into waifu stuff FE becomes shallow pretty quick. I'm 15 hours into Bravely Default and would it alot more than FE.

Can't get this game out of my head....Usually I don't play RPG's. The only RPG I've played was Ni No Kuni and enjoyed that a lot. I got a very time consuming job atm, and I'm put off by those statts ( worried that it'll take too much time to get into the game ). What say you GAF....is this recommended for people who hardly play RPG's?

JimPanzer

Can't get this game out of my head....Usually I don't play RPG's. The only RPG I've played was Ni No Kuni and enjoyed that a lot. I got a very time consuming job atm, and I'm put off by those statts ( worried that it'll take too much time to get into the game ). What do you GAF....is this recommended for people who hardly play RPG's?

it needs some time to get into the job system, but you don't have to read guides.

on the difficulty side: normal mode can be quite challenging sometimes and require some grinding. easy should be manageable for RPG-newbies.

I haven't played Ni No Kuni, so I can't really say how it compares to this. From what I've heard Ni No Kuni is a typical oldschool RPG without the annoying parts, and that's exactly what bravely default goes for.

Chapter 3 Spoiler:

the three automatons in the keep completely wrecked me and they don't seem to be weak to any Black Magic and I forgot to test Aero. Gotta equip my Ringabel with Time Magic to try Quara on these fuckers.

Shane

Four hours in and I can see this getting its hooks in. It quickly and smoothly teaches each of its elements without becoming a textbook or condescending. It's made me chuckle a few times too in how daft it is (dialogue wise).

If you're new to JRPGs or took a long vacation like I did this is welcoming. The hand drawn backgrounds are a neat visual touch.

Bar that flashing 'S', which is a real smear, and some clunky menus, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and those town invaders are not level 10. Ruddy nails.

Top Bottom