• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Well lookie here what just appeared

yg8hNF2.jpg

ordering from Amazon Japan was pretty painless, I can see myself doing this again

Qurupeke

Yeah, that charge attack is what gets me every time. He seems to use it on the first turn directly after he transforms and then wipes out my party with that :/ I'll have to give it another shot with Lightning specials. My party are all lv 52 now after struggling with the Salve Maker sub quest (Had to put it on Easy to even beat him... ugh).

I think the game got actually quite difficult...And the enemies are quite difficult now. The auto doesn't work as good as before and I've found many that counter after I attack them.

I am pleasantly surprised by the story...it's a mix of classic FF, jrpg cliché, humour, unexpected turn of events, otaku stuff and detailed and well put explanations about the world.
Ringabel's book is also great to read, very fine french translation.
This makes an odd mix but I think it works really, really well and it makes me think the main writer is a talented guy (never played Stein:Gate) because of all the "layers" he is playing with here.
The characters really grow on me also. They are your typical Jrpg archetypes but have some funny lines and hit some of the right notes.

Leezard

The difficulty in this really ramps up... Had to put off the Salbe Maker boss fight and went on to the
Fire Temple
... now the boss there is destroying my party. I'm level 44, don't think I'm under levelled but wow...

Indeed, that boss is certainly the most difficult I've encountered yet. I beat him at around lvl 38.
Some tips:
Stock up on magic defense as most of his damage is magic, white robes are great for this. I kept a performer using the Magic defence + buff up all the time. Also, the Salve maker is great for this fight. The items can damage through the purple barrier and deal huge damage (3k if you compund 2 Fulmen shards with item damage up support skill). Zeus wrath items are a bit simpler to come by, but they do decent damage as well.

ramyeon

Indeed, that boss is certainly the most difficult I've encountered yet. I beat him at around lvl 38.
Some tips:
Stock up on magic defense as most of his damage is magic, white robes are great for this. I kept a performer using the Magic defence + buff up all the time. Also, the Salve maker is great for this fight. The items can damage through the purple barrier and deal huge damage (3k if you compund 2 Fulmen shards with item damage up support skill). Zeus wrath items are a bit simpler to come by, but they do decent damage as well.
Thanks for the tips!
Still yet to try the Salve Maker job. Where can you get a good amount of the items? Of the ones you mentioned I only have 1 Zeus' Wrath and 3 Fulmen Shards. Do I need to upgrade the shops in Norende for it?

Leezard

Thanks for the tips!
Still yet to try the Salve Maker job. Where can you get a good amount of the items? Of the ones you mentioned I only have 1 Zeus' Wrath and 3 Fulmen Shards. Do I need to upgrade the shops in Norende for it?

You can buy them if you upgrade Norende, but that probably takes far too long time. The Zeus wrath may be reasonable to buy from upgrading Norende at least. You can also use another of the salve makers skills to transform an item, say a cheap potion, into a random damage item. There are only a few damage items so it's not very time consuming if you auto it. I think I was able to steal Fulmen Shards from some regular enemies near Ancheim, or in that vicinity.

This game didn't chart in the UK Top 40, a Britney Jean sized mess.

UK disappoints once again. Such a main stream market... I hope we still get BD2, let's see how it performs across Europe and America.

I was thinking of buying this. Is it good? I love Yoshida's art. How much text is there? Because I can't read a lick of Japanese.

It looks like a pretty much complete collection of all the designs that were created for Bravely Default (and some additional stuff for the browser game and 4 Heroes of Light). Lots of little descriptions but since I don't read any Japanese either I couldn't tell you how detailed they are. It's 99% pictures though so I don't mind.

Qurupeke

Just mastered my first class, knight! And I just turned Tiz to a beast... The last reward of the class is an attack that damages based on defense. I equipped him two shields and the right abilities and now he can deliver hits that do 7000+ damage. I said wow...

nasos_333

It looks like a pretty much complete collection of all the designs that were created for Bravely Default (and some additional stuff for the browser game and 4 Heroes of Light). Lots of little descriptions but since I don't read any Japanese either I couldn't tell you how detailed they are. It's 99% pictures though so I don't mind.

250 pages full of art, that is beyond anything i expected :), i though they would have some serious coverage with text to fill all that

Pleasantly super hugly surprised, hopefully i have it tomorrow

BTW, does it include the art of the CE edition artbook ?

Dantis

UK disappoints once again. Such a main stream market... I hope we still get BD2, let's see how it performs across Europe and America.

I think the art will have absolutely put people off here. Even I find the chibi stuff off putting.

Not to mention the fact that anime as a whole is still considered a 'weird' thing in the UK. Very niche.

Sounds boss. Are there many illustrations or is it mostly sketch work?

ramyeon

You can buy them if you upgrade Norende, but that probably takes far too long time. The Zeus wrath may be reasonable to buy from upgrading Norende at least. You can also use another of the salve makers skills to transform an item, say a cheap potion, into a random damage item. There are only a few damage items so it's not very time consuming if you auto it. I think I was able to steal Fulmen Shards from some regular enemies near Ancheim, or in that vicinity.
Awesome, I'll give stealing from enemies around Ancheim a shot, fingers crossed. Tried out the Experiment ability and was only turning up the same stuff over and over again, does it work better if you try different items, or can a Potion for example turn into anything?

Phazon

Does anyone has server connecting issues?

I always get an error message since last week, but I have no idea why it won't let me update the game anymore.

Shane

Sexy fairy on the back doesn't sell in the UK.

More importantly, the game won't sell if it's not on shelves. Nowhere in Manchester had it out. Last release was Zelda. I had to ask at the counter.

UK disappoints once again. Such a main stream market

I really wonder if it was a wise idea to not name it FF in the west...I mean it is a FF game, the brand is well known and it's not as if europe was crazy about jrpg anymore...

It can also applies to Japan : FF3 DS sold 1million copies, FF4 DS sold around 700 000 and FFtype 0 around 800 000. Only FF4warriors of light was a letdown but while it had FF in its name, they didn't even use the known FF logo. BD sold 300 000. Well, it's good for a "new" IP but I cannot help myself to think : what would had happen if it was part of the FF brand ?

Kouriozan

Don't worry, it's sold out on Amazon France and is still in the top 20.
And French people love their Japanese games anyway.

FryHole

I really wonder if it was a wise idea to not name it FF in the west...I mean it is a FF game, the brand is well known and it's not as if europe was crazy about jrpg anymore...

It can also applies to Japan : FF3 DS sold 1million copies, FF4 DS sold around 700 000 and FFtype 0 around 800 000. Only FF4warriors of light was a letdown but while it had FF in its name, they didn't even use the known FF logo. BD sold 300 000. Well, it's good for a "new" IP but I cannot help myself to think : what would had happen if it was part of the FF brand ?

Well, as someone pointed out in the charts thread, it is actually sold out at Amazon - so the shipments could have been small enough for it not to chart no matter what happened.

In other news, this has successfully displaced ALBW in my 3DS cart slot. Never saw that happening.

Leezard

Awesome, I'll give stealing from enemies around Ancheim a shot, fingers crossed. Tried out the Experiment ability and was only turning up the same stuff over and over again, does it work better if you try different items, or can a Potion for example turn into anything?

Yes, Experiment with Potion is a good idea.

250 pages full of art, that is beyond anything i expected :), i though they would have some serious coverage with text to fill all that

Pleasantly super hugly surprised, hopefully i have it tomorrow

BTW, does it include the art of the CE edition artbook ?

No idea but as I said, it looks rather complete. It's pretty unlikely that the CE edition has some exclusive artwork.

Sounds boss. Are there many illustrations or is it mostly sketch work?

It's somewhat like this:

20 pages of illustrations
90 pages of sketches and concept art (this kind of stuff, so you might not like it as much)
50 pages of sketches and finished environmental art, basically every map seen in the game
20 pages of enemy designs
6 pages of "storyboards" for the summons
8 pages of miscellaneous art like vehicles or weapons

30 pages of Bravely Default:praying Brage art, 6 of which are full page illustrations of new characters by Yoshida, rest by other artists

10 pages of 4 Heroes of Light, 2 illustrations rest is sketches and concept art

and from what I've seen so far there's quite a bit of alternative or unused designs. pretty cool and I hope some make it into the sequel.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
While I'm waiting for my copy to arrive, I decided to try a demo version. I have finished it just a minutes ago and I don't know how I feel about difficulty in game. I played on normal with +50% encounters and I think the game is too easy. What do you think, should I play a full game on hard? Wont it be ridiculously hard?
Oh, and I don't mind grinding. This game has very userfriendly grinding gameplay.

Too easy is one of the things I'd say this game is not, even on normal. Very quickly the game will start to kick your ass reasonably often (unless you've grinded a ridiculous amount) and you'd have to start adapting reasonably often.

Grampasso

18 hours in, I'm in
Florem
. The game really started to give interesting options with the latest jobs.
I wasn't satisfied with the Thief class as a DD due to low knives dmg. So I tried to give Tiz a bow. HOLY SHIT at the dmg output. It put to shame the dmg of my best DD that up to that point was Ringabel/Monk. Then I tried the Spell Fencer on Edea, convinced it was lame but when I guessed what to do I switched to Knight with her enough to get the 2H support and switched back to Spell Fencer with that equipped. WIN

Tak3n

Banned
I am not surprised by the lack of sales, my towns Game store would only get it in if I ordered it

'Niche' game he called

ramyeon

Okay I think I'm ready haha. Got 20 Fulmen Shards and I put the Spell Fencer as Job Ability on my Valkyrie, that way she can use Thundara on her Spear and hit for tonnes with High Jump. Let's see how this goes :p

klausbert

If anybody is looking for someone to add for this game, add me! My friend code is in my profile, please PM me when you've added me.

ramyeon

Ugh. I give up on this boss for tonight. I can't do it at the moment. Whenever he transforms, I'm full health and Default to avoid that Energy Blast but he always OHKOs at least one party member through that, it's ridiculous.

I don't see how I can beat him at my current HP levels, I really don't. Maybe I'm going about it wrong but I'm trying everything I can :/

Vhalyar

Can someone explain to me how the special move parts shops work?

For example, the Valley Parts say I unlocked P. ATK Up and P. ATK Down... but I cannot find these anywhere in the Special config menu. Same goes with Hill Parts and the various [element] res up/down. Are these automatic or what?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

For example, the Valley Parts say I unlocked P. ATK Up and P. ATK Down... but I cannot find these anywhere in the Special config menu. Same goes with Hill Parts and the various [element] res up/down. Are these automatic or what?

You are supposed to customize your deathblows that give you these properties with those parts.

ramyeon

Holy shit! I finally beat him, and it was really damn easy. Surviving that first Energy Blast was key, after that it was pretty much Game Over for him. Feels so satisfying to see him fall.

You'll need to have unlocked special moves in order to edit the moves, which will allow you to choose an element for the attack, attack power etc. Some special moves like the rod can heal/buff you etc or inflict status debuffs for enemies.
Don't worry, it's sold out on Amazon France and is still in the top 20.
And French people love their Japanese games anyway.
Would like to say thank you to France and to an extent Germany, you guys love Japanese games enough that companies see its worthwhile to localise their games in Europe XD

Vhalyar

You are supposed to customize your deathblows that give you these properties with those parts.

I know, but some of the options are not showing up after unlocking them.
Example: Cape Parts level 1 gives me Poison Touch and Poison Res Down. Poison Touch shows up in the options list I can use, Poison Res Down does not.

I'm asking if some of these are passives/automatic or if I'm missing something, to be more clear.

TrueBlue

Okay, gonna risk embarrassment by asking this but what the hell. I'm still going through the demo at the moment, and likely won't get the full game until christmas.

Can someone explain to me how to equip stronger magic? I have a lvl 3 Black Mage but I can't use spells like Fira.

/total noob

I know, but some of the options are not showing up after unlocking them.
Example: Cape Parts level 1 gives me Poison Touch and Poison Res Down. Poison Touch shows up in the options list I can use, Poison Res Down does not.

I'm asking if some of these are passives/automatic or if I'm missing something.

the deathblow parts depend on whether the deathblow is for attacking or supporting

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Okay, gonna risk embarrassment by asking this but what the hell. I'm still going through the demo at the moment, and likely won't get the full game until christmas.

Can someone explain to me how to equip stronger magic? I have a lvl 3 Black Mage but I can't use spells like Fira.

/total noob

Might be wrong but I think you have to have a job level of 4 or higher to use lvl3 magic. For the Black Mage for Black Magic of course.

Edit: Yes. Higher job levels for the respective class allows you to use more powerful magic.

Vhalyar

the deathblow parts depend on whether the deathblow is for attacking or supporting

That's... still not what I'm asking. I know there's two types of specials with different modifiers. I'm saying that some of the parts I unlock don't show up anywhere.

Using the same example again. I unlocked Poison Touch and Poison Res Down. I can set Poison Touch, no problem with that.
But Poison Res Down doesn't pop up in ANY menu. That's what I want to know; where and how is Poison Res Down used?

Do I need the level 2/3 special attacks; do they get different modifiers?

But Poison Res Down doesn't pop up in ANY menu. That's what I want to know; where and how is Poison Res Down used?
Are you sure you've unlocked all the different weapon types' death blows? Cause Poison Res Down is a status affect specifically for specials that does status effects.

Thorgi

>:/

It's completely optional and you don't even need it. And you can get it for free anyway.

I take that as a no, then.

I don't care if there's a roundabout, 8 hour way to get it for free, they're still trying to nickel and dime me. This "pay to play" trend in full priced games is disgusting. For the same reason why I didn't buy FFVII and VIII on PC, or Gran Turismo 6 on PS3, I won't be buying this. Well, maybe if it's used....

Top Bottom