• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Exentryk

Started on the demo today. Levelling up in front of the town coz even the western dungeon has strong monsters.

Now, I haven't played very many job system type games, so bear with me but is there recommended jobs to start off your characters with?

Also, if I add friends from here, can they be used to build Norende?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I take that as a no, then.

I don't care if there's a roundabout, 8 hour way to get it for free, they're still trying to nickel and dime me. This "pay to play" trend in full priced games is disgusting. For the same reason why I didn't buy FFVII and VIII on PC, or Gran Turismo 6 on PS3, I won't be buying this. Well, maybe if it's used....

Your loss over something so trivial.

I don't care if there's a roundabout, 8 hour way to get it for free, they're still trying to nickel and dime me. This "pay to play" trend in full priced games is disgusting. For the same reason why I didn't buy FFVII and VIII on PC, or Gran Turismo 6 on PS3, I won't be buying this. Well, maybe if it's used....

It's funny how everybody who has played it thinks it isn't a big deal. But I guess it's more important to keep your shaky principles rather than enjoy a great game.

ramyeon

Late Chapter 3 thoughts & plot predictions...
Just killed Edea's master, he was way easier than I anticipated. Just defaulted and only attacked with on party member at a time to minimise chances he got to use his Swordmaster skills. No problems at all. Why do I get the most dreadful feeling that the Eternians are right and awakening the Crystals is the wrong thing to be doing....? It doesn't help that the Fairy is really aggressive and impatient about doing it, losing my trust in her.

Started on the demo today. Levelling up in front of the town coz even the western dungeon has strong monsters.

Now, I haven't played very many job system type games, so bear with me but is there recommended jobs to start off your characters with?

Also, if I add friends from here, can they be used to build Norende?
Just level up any job you want, preferably to your playstyle tbh.

And nope adding people here will not help rebuild Norende in the demo as the demo is limited to Streetpassed demo players.

Leezard

Just killed Edea's master, he was way easier than I anticipated. Just defaulted and only attacked with on party member at a time to minimise chances he got to use his Swordmaster skills. No problems at all. Why do I get the most dreadful feeling that the Eternians are right and awakening the Crystals is the wrong thing to be doing....? It doesn't help that the Fairy is really aggressive and impatient about doing it, losing my trust in her.

Pretty much my thoughts. Also (still end of chapter 3):
it didn't help that Olivia did not know who or what Airy was. I thought all vestals were supposed to have a cryst-fairy, or at least knowledge about them?

Thorgi

It's funny how everybody who has played it thinks it isn't a big deal. But I guess it's more important to keep your shaky principles rather than enjoy a great game.
Plenty of other great games without this shit. Besides, if we support it here, they'll merely add more and more of it to the game. You say it isn't a big deal now, but will you say the same thing when the sequels start balancing with the F2P mechanic in mind, like what happened to Forza 5?

But if we refuse to buy it for now and let them know why, we stand a chance of getting a version without the "pay to pay to play" mechanics. If we push back, we only stand to benefit.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think my biggest worry about this selling badly shipment issues or not is that this localisation can't have been cheap. This is a reasonable long game with a heck of a lot
of voice acting and a fair bit of text.

No wonder Square didn't bother to localise this themselves. If this game doesn't sell decently or at least contribute to pushing systems Nintendo may not even be interested in publishing the sequel.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Plenty of other great games without this shit. Besides, if we support it here, they'll merely add more and more of it to the game. You say it isn't a big deal now, but will you say the same thing when the sequels start balancing with the F2P mechanic in mind, like what happened to Forza 5?

But if we refuse to buy it for now and let them know why, we stand a chance of getting a version without the "pay to pay to play" mechanics. If we push back, we only stand to benefit.

All you will tell them is you don't like the game. Only partaking in purchasing SP points will it matter in the case of Microtransactions. I find your reasoning ludicrous.

Plenty of other great games without this shit. Besides, if we support it here, they'll merely add more and more of it to the game. You say it isn't a big deal now, but will you say the same thing when the sequels start balancing with the F2P mechanic in mind?

Not buying the game will only lead to not getting the localization of the next and won't message a thing about how you feel about the F2P stuff. You aren't the first person who hasn't played the game to bring this up and create slippery slope arguments about how this will affect the future of the series to support their stance. The SP system is completely optional, fair and unintrusive and that's all that matters.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

This game is niche to begin with the only thing you'll do is deter localisation of sequels and perhaps kill the franchise. mobile is rampart and eating into the traditional gaming marketplace, if this bombs Square will simply not bother making unique games for traditional portable systems and move even more effort to mobiles. Meaning you won't even have the choice of whether to support it or not you simply won't be getting very many games to begin with.

Basically your stand is pretty pointless and the more people that do it likely the more gaming third party publishers won't bother with traditional portable games.

The company doesn't care much about you to begin with, you don't have a real bargaining chip, they'll gladly move to mobile and more will follow,. With consoles you do.

FryHole

If the sequels start balancing with the F2P mechanic in mind, I won't buy them. Right now I'll buy this at full price and not spend a single penny on microtransactions, which is surely the best way to signal that a) I want more games like this b) I have no intention of ever using the microtransactions mechanic. If that signal is not received that they'll get c) - start fucking around with the full game and you'll get no money whatsoever.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
If the sequels start balancing with the F2P mechanic in mind, I won't buy them. Right now I'll buy this at full price and not spend a single penny on microtransactions, which is surely the best way to signal that a) I want more games like this b) I have no intention of ever using the microtransactions mechanic. If that signal is not received that they'll get c) - start fucking around with the full game and you'll get no money whatsoever.

That's really the best way to go about this.

Thorgi

This game is niche to begin with the only thing you'll do is deter localisation of sequels and perhaps kill the franchise. mobile is rampart and eating into the traditional gaming marketplace, if this bombs Square will simply not bother making unique games for traditional portable systems and move even more effort to mobiles. Meaning you won't even have the choice of whether to support it or not you simply won't be getting very many games to begin with.

Yeah, I guess it is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Truly a shame that it's come to this.

That's a stance I can appreciate.

aravuus

lol wat

How is not buying the game supposed to send the message "we dislike micro transactions"? Lots of people buying the game but none buying the p2w stuff would send that message. Your logic is incredibly flawed.

And to skip what seems to be the best JRPG in a while because of this... Oh dear

elyetis

Not buying the game will only lead to not getting the localization of the next and won't message a thing about how you feel about the F2P stuff. You aren't the first person who hasn't played the game to bring this up and create slippery slope arguments about how this will affect the future of the series to support their stance. The SP system is completely optional, fair and unintrusive and that's all that matters.
You can also argue that if you begin to punish them when they actually do the microtransactions the 'right way', you actually give them even more reason to go the more intrusive way ( if they don't sell the game to people who don't like microtransactions even when it doesn't affect the balance at all, then they might as well make those who do buy the game, spend more on it ).

Buying the first game, and IF the sequel happen to have bad microtransactions, then don't buy the sequel, that way you send the message that you like the licence, you want it to be localised but that the change in the business model lead to worst sales.

I just can't understand the logic of punishing a dev for actually doing something right, just out of fear that maybe someday they will use it the wrong way.

bitoriginal

I really want to like this game but my god is the story horrendous. One of the few games I actually want to skip the text without even reading.

Yasawas

I really want to like this game but my god is the story horrendous. One of the few games I actually want to skip the text without even reading.

Yeah, I'm five hours in and enjoying it but every "Party Chat" notification gives me a shudder of dread as I need to read them and they're utter garbage. It's a lot of fun but it's a shame it doesn't have something more interesting and unique going on setting and storywise considering how beautiful it is and how much fun the combat/levelling stuff is. It's like they reached their innovation quota, panicked and threw together some characters and a story they had lying around over a pub lunch.

Thorgi

You can also argue that if you begin to punish them when they actually do the microtransactions the 'right way', you actually give them even more reason to go the more intrusive way ( if they don't sell the game to people who don't like microtransactions even when it doesn't affect the balance at all, then they might as well make those who do buy the game, spend more on it ).

Buying the first game, and IF the sequel happen to have bad microtransactions, then don't buy the sequel, that way you send the message that you like the licence, you want it to be localised but that the change in the business model lead to worst sales.

I just can't understand the logic of punishing a dev for actually doing something right, just out of fear that maybe someday they will use it the wrong way.
Right, it may be possible to play the game without paying the F2P fees, but this isn't doing things "the right way." "The right way" would be introducing this mechanic for free, full stop.

Qurupeke

Pretty much my thoughts. Also (still end of chapter 3):
it didn't help that Olivia did not know who or what Airy was. I thought all vestals were supposed to have a cryst-fairy, or at least knowledge about them?

Exactly this... I just can't trust Airy... At first she seemed like the usual hothead fairy, but she is actually kind of mean. Dunno... Also, I'm not the only one that thinks Ringabel has some connection to the dark knight right? I can't wait to see the rest of the story. The Eternian forces are obviously not the big antagonists.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Keep playing guys. And the Party chats aren't anything to talk about. Half the time they really aren't relevant to what's going on at all.

ramyeon

Exactly this... I just can't trust Airy... At first she seemed like the usual hothead fairy, but she is actually kind of mean. Dunno... Also, I'm not the only one that thinks Ringabel has some connection to the dark knight right? I can't wait to see the rest of the story. The Eternian forces are obviously not the big antagonists.
Yeah, she has definitely started showing more of her mean streak from Chapter 3... and she hasn't been helpful at all besides nagging us to keep going to the Crystals. I have a feeling this isn't going to end well :p

And yeah I read ahead in the Notes in the Journal and it left me really confused. There were parts with someone else obviously present when Egil almost fell into the lava etc... And the drawings in the journal seem to suggest the Dark Knight. The events we saw first hand didn't play quite the same as that. Weird.

elyetis

Right, it may be possible to play the game without paying the F2P fees, but this isn't doing things "the right way." "The right way" would be introducing this mechanic for free, full stop.
People would considere the game was done the right way, if that mechanic wasn't in the game at all ( ie the fact that people wanted the game to get released outside of japan, before For the Sequel got announced ). I can't wrap my head around not buying that version of Bravely Default because of that fonctionnality in that given form, while knowing that the same people would have actually brought the game if it was the first version of the game which was actually more harsh than this version even without the use of the microtransaction.

ramyeon

The micro transactions may as well not exist. I haven't even used the Bravely Second feature despite earning the points while my system sleeps - you just don't need it, it's a crutch for people who get stuck on bosses. But rather than use that you can just set it to Easy mode instead or just work on strategies to beat it, much more satisfying.

There's no nagging to use the feature, and you can simply just entirely ignore it if you wish. People being outraged over its inclusion are having a knee jerk reaction to the word "micro transaction", especially if you haven't even played the game to see how they're implemented (Or rather, how they're not really implemented at all).

Another nice arrival today! (^^) I haven't put any shots of the environment art as I felt those might be a bit spoilerific, but there are plenty of pages devoted to them as well as the character art, etc.

jHH5Omu3PoStE.jpg

Same dimensions as the CE artbook:
iXDGPwyMvwHCJ.jpg

ibwBLKXL0YYr8J.jpg

Agnès <3
ibwlgJyhybpseh.jpg

iDxBpeMYSt8AG.jpg

i6fZ6BJjth7T2.jpg

io4E1x4xJqMLf.jpg

ihktN3t74hfHW.jpg

iLBtgXJKcq6Yr.jpg

I know, but some of the options are not showing up after unlocking them.
Example: Cape Parts level 1 gives me Poison Touch and Poison Res Down. Poison Touch shows up in the options list I can use, Poison Res Down does not.

I'm asking if some of these are passives/automatic or if I'm missing something, to be more clear.

There's actually 4 distinct types of special move each with different parts (though there's some overlap between buff and debuff).

There's the standard Attack Enem(y/ies), Debuff Enemies (Rod Lvl 2). Heal Allies (Staff Lvl 1) and Buff Allies (Staff Lvl 2).

Shane

lol wat

How is not buying the game supposed to send the message "we dislike micro transactions"? Lots of people buying the game but none buying the p2w stuff would send that message. Your logic is incredibly flawed.

And to skip what seems to be the best JRPG in a while because of this... Oh dear

His logic is right but there's no winner either way. Microtransactions are designed towards a small audience (>3%) who justify the design decision. Takes no effort and equals straight profit on top of the product price. Don't dismiss the threat this business model presents to design and now easily it has been accepted because it doesn't directly (yet) affect each individual. It's a nasty practice whether you buy into it or not. And yes, it would be a shame if he skipped it but at least he's standing behind his beliefs. Rarity in this scene.

I'm playing it and it's a shame that the only button that glows/flashes is the one connected to microtransactions. If it wasn't on the main combat screen pulsing I wouldn't care. That's a step too far.

If I can see something to do with real money - videogames should be escapism - during play it's an issue.

Fireblend

Banned
So, how's the CE artbook? How many pages? Is it a proper artbook or is it also part-guide like SMT IV's?

Already ordered the NA CE, but I want to know :D

God damn, Normal to Hard mode is a pretty sizeable difference. Bosses can range from a few thousand less HP in Normal and also do almost irrelevant damage. Where Hard mode the damage they is almost sure to put one of my party near death (unless they're all Knights). Been playing random battles with Hard and needing to switch to Normal for bosses.

agree! I love the theme with the flutes after using a special attack. goosebumbs!

The song that's being played depends on which character's using it. It's basically the character's theme song, and I LOVE ALL OF THEM. The vocal renditions are great too, particularly Tiz's and Edea's.

Holy shit. The Salve Maker boss is ridiculous. His Dark Breath attack pretty much guarantees a OHKO since it deals as much damage as he is missing, and his Poison Hi Potion attack poisons the target AND deals 1000 damage. Gonna have to rethink my strategy for this one.

If I remember right he doesn't have any party-wide attacks, so you should be able to revive your characters faster than he can kill them.

* warning: D journal is a wicked in-game spoiler book - don't read too far down in it if you want to keep all the plot unspoiled!

I can't agree with this, I read through the entire thing as soon as I had access to it, and whenever I came to the parts in the game that were detailed in the journal, and then wondering why
they always differed from what was written was an interesting mystery.
And when the reason was finally revealed, my mind was blown.

You are only hurting youself with this. It´s thanks to Nintendo that we are even able to play it in English, outright boycotting it will just leave to even fewer localizations and cement Squeenix´s view that the West isn´t into this type of stuff.

Everyone who is interested should buy it, never even try Bravely Second and bitch about it in every single survey Nintendo or Squeenix do.

Jinko

Holy shit. The Salve Maker boss is ridiculous. His Dark Breath attack pretty much guarantees a OHKO since it deals as much damage as he is missing, and his Poison Hi Potion attack poisons the target AND deals 1000 damage. Gonna have to rethink my strategy for this one.

Yea I gave up, will come back when I am over levelled lol

It's the only job I can't beat ;.;

I'm guessing you need dark Charm on all characters or something, something I have noticed is that in chapter 3 you really need to use those charms and bracelets, death + charm is no fun.

Nintendo networks are going into maintenance for 11 hours in about 45 minutes. If you haven't updated your data, you should do so now.

I just noticed that Airy follows your finger/stylus around on the touchscreen when in the menu. I thought it was a nice touch :p

I see what you did there.

Top Bottom