• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Shane

It's the second boss. Try two monks and one white mage, and try to use brave and default efficiently.

Pretty much what I did. Use one monk to go all out every four rounds (one power up and three standard attacks). Heal all each our every other round.

Also add second support jobs. Didn't notice this myself and it really helps to make everyone able to heal.

Jinko

I really wonder if it was a wise idea to not name it FF in the west...I mean it is a FF game, the brand is well known and it's not as if europe was crazy about jrpg anymore...

It can also applies to Japan : FF3 DS sold 1million copies, FF4 DS sold around 700 000 and FFtype 0 around 800 000. Only FF4warriors of light was a letdown but while it had FF in its name, they didn't even use the known FF logo. BD sold 300 000. Well, it's good for a "new" IP but I cannot help myself to think : what would had happen if it was part of the FF brand ?

Goes to show just how stupid SE are these days.

It makes no sense not to name this Final Fantasy really.

I been running round with encounters off for too long, I am so under levelled now -.- time to grind I guess.

Well I didn't get the game today in the mail so I guess I'll miss out on the Beelzebub boss distribution :(

Anything we get for disposing of him, or is it just a fun side activity?

Salve-Maker is BEAST, don't sleep on that. It murders things and I hardly use White Magic since I've got it.

Well I didn't get the game today in the mail so I guess I'll miss out on the Beelzebub boss distribution :(

Anything we get for disposing of him, or is it just a fun side activity?

I got
an item that permanently increased the Mind stat of a character by 1.

I guess if I "protect" one of mine I can send it when you have the game?

Yeah I think protecting ensures that they're not overwritten, but I don't know if that lets you fight the same boss after defeating it once. I didn't bother protecting the Rec Lv10 one because I got two other bosses at Rec Lv56 from other people.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I wish there was a way to import and play this game. Really don't want to wait until February when the NA version releases.

My haul from Amazon JP has arrived :D (Just ignore the 2 anime BD on bottom :p)
96mVJWu.jpg

NIN90

Question about the first (?) side quest string, the one you get in Ancheim:

I'm on the third stage (after defeating the merchant) and I have no idea where the fuck I'm supposed to be going.
I don't remember what was said in the note (something about knocking 5 times on a back door at night) and I don't see any option to read it again.
Been mashing A all over the city at night and found nothing.

I'm on the third stage (after defeating the merchant) and I have no idea where the fuck I'm supposed to be going.
I don't remember what was said in the note (something about knocking 5 times on a back door at night) and I don't see any option to read it again.

Continue the main scenario, it'll open later.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon

Advance in the main story. And then do the thing you said.

FryHole

You should be able to
enter the door to the left of the magic shop, I believe

daydream

Banned
Right, it may be possible to play the game without paying the F2P fees, but this isn't doing things "the right way." "The right way" would be introducing this mechanic for free, full stop.

It's really not worth talking about (well, unless someone decides to skip this fantastic game because of it), but I wanted to affirm what was said regarding the microtransactions:

I have honestly never seen an IAP so stupid - the best word for this I can come up with - as the Bravely Second stuff. Who would ever pay for an "ability" that is all but useless, that you can only stock up three times and that is free to begin with (check your facts, dude!). And who would ever think of this in the first place? It's like they had a bunch of geniuses design this game and then have an asinine executive barge in and tell them to include something, anything at all, that people can spend extra money on. That's how that went down.

And you can tell that the geniuses made an effort to include it in the most unintrusive manner (!). I think it's clear that the developers are on our side, and in the end, it ends up being just one more reason to reward this talented team (and yourself) by buying this game, support localization of these gems, etc.

Edit: tl;dr: Your position is very respectable. There are many games that totally deserve the treatment you proposed - this is not one of them.

Yasawas

What determines the order your party attack in?

Also! I thought I'd better update my data online for today before the Nintendo online jazz goes down. Every time I do this I get three or four Europeans at the same level as me doing about 40-odd damage which is a little pointless but just now I got a Japanese guy capable of doing 3691 which has made my day, just did it before a boss fight too. Yas. I thought they would've limited the level of dude you can get but apparently not.

Thanks to the person who answered me concerning the Japanese VA.

3 hours in and I LOVE THIS GAME. It's so reminiscent of old school RPG but with a modern design...before BD only TWEWY had some level of customization and parameters to enhance the experience.
The character designs are cute (Monk Agnès :3 ), the characters are endearing, the music is beautiful and the BRAVE/DEFAULT system is awesome.

I'd love so much for the team which produced BD to go on and make TONS of games.

JimPanzer

It's really not worth talking about (well, unless someone decides to skip this fantastic game because of it), but I wanted to affirm what was said regarding the microtransactions:

I have honestly never seen an IAP so stupid - the best word for this I can come up with - as the Bravely Second stuff. Who would ever pay for an "ability" that is all but useless, that you can only stock up three times and that is free to begin with (check your facts, dude!). And who would ever think of this in the first place? It's like they had a bunch of geniuses design this game and then have an asinine executive barge in and tell them to include something, anything at all, that people can spend extra money on. That's how that went down.

And you can tell that the geniuses made an effort to include it in the most unintrusive manner (!). I think it's clear that the developers are on our side, and in the end, it ends up being just one more reason to reward this talented team (and yourself) by buying this game, support localization of these gems, etc.

Edit: tl;dr: Your position is very respectable. There are many games that totally deserve the treatment you proposed - this is not one of them.

totally agree!

What determines the order your party attack in?

I think it's a mix of your agility and the + speed from support abilitys and spells

Grampasso

Yeah I think protecting ensures that they're not overwritten, but I don't know if that lets you fight the same boss after defeating it once. I didn't bother protecting the Rec Lv10 one because I got two other bosses at Rec Lv56 from other people.

What do you mean? I have defeated the same boss 4 times and got it again from the very same friend who sent it already once

Jinko

Yea the whole second system leaves me scratching my head, how are you even supposed to use this effectively, now if you could rewind one move it would be worth using.

Vitanimus

Are many of the early game bosses susceptible to status ailments like poison? I keep on missing and I can't tell if this is the game telling me they're immune or the accuracy is really low, although I'm assuming if they were immune to poison it would say "Guard" when it hit.

What do you mean? I have defeated the same boss 4 times and got it again from the very same friend who sent it already once

I guess I don't fully understand how this works then. All I know is that right now, I can't challenge the one boss I've beaten anymore. I suppose I'd need to receive it again from someone. I thought the "protect" option was for preventing a boss from being overwritten by another one you'd receive afterwards.

Jinko

Are many of the early game bosses susceptible to status ailments like poison? I keep on missing and I can't tell if this is the game telling me they're immune or the accuracy is really low, although I'm assuming if they were immune to poison it would say "Guard" when it hit.

Yea, if they are immune it will say Guard.

Edit:- Beating the Swordmaster was a joke, especially compared to the Salve Master.

First time I actually had trouble with an enemy. It's the guy I assume I'll get the Red Mage job from. His powerful black magic really surprised me in the first round and I could never recover from it. Good to know even Normal can manage to kick my butt if it wants to.

nasos_333

Another nice arrival today! (^^) I haven't put any shots of the environment art as I felt those might be a bit spoilerific, but there are plenty of pages devoted to them as well as the character art, etc.

Same dimensions as the CE artbook:
iXDGPwyMvwHCJ.jpg

It is a bit strange, how can the 255 page artbook have the same thickness as the 35 page CE one ?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I can't agree with this, I read through the entire thing as soon as I had access to it, and whenever I came to the parts in the game that were detailed in the journal, and then wondering why
they always differed from what was written was an interesting mystery.
And when the reason was finally revealed, my mind was blown.
I too read the entire journal once it became available, thought to myself 'eew, spoilerific' and never gave it a second thought. Now that you mention it, things have started to curiously diverge, though I have not reached the revelation point. Regardless, I stand corrected.

Just sent my Friend Summon Edea with 7952 attack =D

Was quite proud of the power then I receive a Japanese player that had an attack of 9999 and also sent me a level 70 nemesis that lasts from the 10th-12th joy lol better get stronger to fight it then lol.

Edit: Gonna send it off to youse guys ;P

Labadal

The graphics, my God, they are beautiful. The demo town looked great, but the scene where you first meet Agnes, fantastic.

Grampasso

I guess I don't fully understand how this works then. All I know is that right now, I can't challenge the one boss I've beaten anymore. I suppose I'd need to receive it again from someone. I thought the "protect" option was for preventing a boss from being overwritten by another one you'd receive afterwards.

Not only that, it also avoits it being canceled when the period it's supposedly be up expires.
I killed Beelzebub 5 times, (I had 4 in my Norende, after I beated the first one another 2 spawned when I updated data). Think I got 2 dexterity buns

Soriku

Woah. I was walking past the music room at my school and heard some music playing. I was like "Doesn't this sound familiar?" Then I realized That Person's Name Is from this game was playing. Think they were playing along to it. Cool.

Aeana

For some reason, I'm not receiving any of the stuff for the promotional codes I entered on the JP BDFF FTS site. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
The difficulty jump with a few bosses near the end of Chapter 3 is ridiculous. Considering switching back to normal from hard, because fuck that. Either i am underleveled or missing something obvious, it's crazy.

Maybe i should just abuse the bravely second stuff, but it feels like cheating.

edit: switch back to normal and won but it was still a challenge. That was fun.

Aeana

Was it today? Maybe it's because of the maintenance going on right now.

Not just today. I never got my Dengeki reward either, and I entered that code on day one. But I did just notice that I forgot to register the game itself, so I did that. However, that just got me a mage shell and nothing else.

Oxx

Even through my Animal Crossing obsession I never felt compelled to whip my 3DS out in public.

Today I got it out as soon as I got on the train after work so that I could reassign my Norende villagers.

Peff

Not just today. I never got my Dengeki reward either, and I entered that code on day one. But I did just notice that I forgot to register the game itself, so I did that. However, that just got me a mage shell and nothing else.

Hm, no idea what it could be then. If updating after everything is up and running again doesn't work perhaps setting the game to Japanese might, but it's a long shot.

Speaking of languages, is Orthros the guardian of the Wind Crystal in English? The Spanish translation used Ultros, lulz.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I think it's a mix of your agility and the + speed from support abilitys and spells
I believe it involves a few more things, among which:
  • for physical attacks - weapon type, from light to heavy, vis-a-vis wielder agi/dex. For instance, for the same agi/dex daggers wold come first, etc, etc, trailed by halberds and axes. That system has been in place since 4HoL.
  • for magic actions - level of the magic vs job level of the caster. I don't think agi/dex plays any role here - it all could be mnd-based, but that's just a supposition.
  • for skills actions - similar to magic actions above, but agi/dex could be involved this time.
  • for item actions - it could be pure agi/dex, but that's a wild guess.

That said, there are things like artifacts that provide first acting in battle, encounters' first-right-of-turn (i.e. 'Allies act first/Enemies act first'), etc.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Even through my Animal Crossing obsession I never felt compelled to whip my 3DS out in public.

Today I got it out as soon as I got on the train after work so that I could reassign my Norende villagers.

Eh whats the point it if you don't want to play it on long journeys. One of the main reasons I bought mine was to entertain me during my 9 hour coach ride home for holidays, and I generally dislike using touch screens for games.

I'll have no issue whipping out my white 3DS on my trip back for Christmas.

Top Bottom