• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

galvenize

Alright, True Ending gotten. Took me about 70 Hours.

So, I dont think I've ever played a game where the last half of it drags on for as much as this one.
The boss rematches was probably the most enjoyable part of it, while optional and the main source of the game feeling like it lasts forever, but it provided a nice challenge and there really was nothing else happening it all in the required part of the story, while these events fleshed out the characters that in the first half felt more like cartoon villians that were needlessly evil. I did pretty much all of them, expect the last ones in Chapter 8, I could not beat the mage team despite trying several different setups.
The subtitle making sense was pretty nice aswell.

The mage team, god the mage team. Impossible to figure out how to beat them until you figure out they only do fire damage, and gotta kill the fat one as quick as you can.
Anyways, that sub quest rewards you jack shit, not worth doing.

JimPanzer

Had to change my abilities/equipment just so the random encounters wouldn't debuff me and stomp me. Succubus/Magician are really annoying, you can't auto-battle them as you need to take them out first but they're in the last enemy slot.

Can't bring myself to switch to Easy mode for grinding, it'd hurt my pride. 30+ hours so far, game is excellent. Stole me away from 3DW and LBW.

I had no problems with the normal mobs, succubus and magician were taken out before they could act by my hunter and ninja. IIRC auto battle also "memorizes" the enemy slot you used.

How do I get the villagers from friends? Friended a bunch of people here but I've still got only 4 villagers

Villagers are from Streetpass and Net-Invite (via Update Data once per day) only. Friends are for Abilinks.

Summon seems to work for both Friends and Guests but you can gain Affection with Friends (which I assume powers up the attack).

daydream

Banned
I wonder how much damage my Ringabel is doing for people. I created a 9999 attack very quickly by using Invigorate + Strong Strike + Elemental weakness + Enemy family weakness. It probably doesn't translate as well against other enemies? Feedback would be welcome if you've already tried it out (Mii: Fisher).

Anyway, I'm working on a better one. Got some new equipment, gained some levels, etc. The text in D's journal is not super clear, but I'm guessing you have to send a new one for people to summon you again? Should've looked that up earlier. I was under the impression that updating your data renews the old attack.

I wonder how much damage my Ringabel is doing for people. I created a 9999 attack very quickly by using Invigorate + Strong Strike + Elemental weakness + Enemy family weakness. It probably doesn't translate as well against other enemies? Feedback would be welcome if you've already tried it out (Mii: Fisher).

Anyway, I'm working on a better one. Got some new equipment, gained some levels, etc. The text in D's journal is not super clear, but I'm guessing you have to send a new one for people to summon you again? Should've looked that up earlier. I was under the impression that updating your data renews the old attack.

The Power is just the total damage/recovery the move did when used, not the damage it'll do for the receiver. So enemy elemental/type weaknesses don't mean anything unless the receiver uses knows the right enemy to use them on. Strong Strike may still miss for the receiver too, if I've got how the system works right. Buffs on your attacker do count though, so boosting their attack before sending an attack is good.

Jenoss

Banned
The mage team, god the mage team. Impossible to figure out how to beat them until you figure out they only do fire damage, and gotta kill the fat one as quick as you can.
Anyways, that sub quest rewards you jack shit, not worth doing.

I just beat it... I'm a horrible person.

Switch the difficulties from hard to normal. Win.

I'll try it on hard the next time

Don't forget about the spoiler thread here folks, no need to spoiler bar it etc <----- It's a lonely thread atm X'D

What I was really surprised by the demo's streetpass is that in the full game it replaces the demo streetpass instead of needing to delete it off the settings.

And is people getting over 9999 using Bravely Second to get it? Friend Summon are still possible that way? Have not used Bravely Second once.

Also:
zlCfzROqo3oz_MhvGF

I can finally not leave Bravely Default permanently in the card slot, I gotta build some snowmen's on Animal Crossing XD

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
The last (?) boss of chapter 3 on hard.

The fucking Behemoth. It seems pretty simple and straightfoward, but he hits like a thousand trucks, if he get two turns, i'm just dead even if i default and buff beforehand. Did i miss something ? I tried reverting to normal, and still got wiped (what)

Can anyone get the achievements related to the Square-Enix Members' site?
I have the JP version, linked my account at the very start, and got immediately after an email demanding I change my password, which I did.

Now a few hours later I decided to register my game on the JP Members' site to get the achievement ingame...and nothing happened. I tried updating my data, didn't work either.

I also can't seem to find a way to "relink" my account in case the password change did something.

Jinko

The fucking Behemoth. It seems pretty simple and straightfoward, but he hits like a thousand trucks, if he get two turns, i'm just dead even if i default and buff beforehand. Did i miss something ? I tried reverting to normal, and still got wiped (what)

Yea this is the only boss I had a really hard time beating, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to his moves either /shrugs

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Yea this is the only boss I had a really hard time beating, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to his moves either /shrugs

Where level were you ? I have been playing with default encounter rate, and without abilinks so i'm far from having all the skills i need from the jobs i have.

Jinko

Where level were you ? I have been playing with default encounter rate, and without abilinks so i'm far from having all the skills i need from the jobs i have.

Think I was around 47, wasn't using ablinks either, think I just got lucky tbh.

At one point I had him down to 1000 hp left and he wiped my party, I was not impressed,

Kater

Banned
I finally figured out that I have to 'Send' the character so that others can summon him.
Was this explained in the tutorial? Maybe I just missed it.
Oh, and the game said that the affinity to some GAFfers (Jinko) character has grown.
Does that have any effect on the game or does it just signalize which friends characters you summoned most often?

JimPanzer

I beat him by using full cover (knight ability) on my healer, both my dmg dealers (hunter and valkyrie) had drain on their weapons (sword sorcery second job). hunter was using his beast attack ( hitting the weak point) and valkyrie the jump ability.

no idea if this helps you, but maybe you can get something out of it

edit: oh, and equip everyone with the anti-poison ring or a similar ability

The most important thing for that fight is to make sure your healer has silence immunity. Try and keep your characters as close to full health as possible because when you're not in default the attacks will do a lot of damage.

I had my healer with three default in stock for most of the fight in case I needed them. Salve maker is the best class for that. And as far as I could tell, there was no attack pattern, it was just completely random

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I beat him by using full cover (knight ability) on my healer, both my dmg dealers (hunter and valkyrie) had drain on their weapons (sword sorcery second job). hunter was using his beast attack ( hitting the weak point) and valkyrie the jump ability.

no idea if this helps you, but maybe you can get something out of it

edit: oh, and equip everyone with the anti-poison ring or a similar ability

I don't even have full cover, i guess it's a higher than 9 Knight skill.

The most important thing for that fight is to make sure your healer has silence immunity. Try and keep your characters as close to full health as possible because when you're not in default the attacks will do a lot of damage.

I had my healer with three default in stock for most of the fight in case I needed them. Salve maker is the best class for that. And as far as I could tell, there was no attack pattern, it was just completely random

I have been using the White Cape ( nullifie silence ) after the first attempt. Can't keep people at full health when he one shots me most of the time though! I spend most of the time just reviving people and getting them back up and needless to say that my damage is almost null after that.

windfish

Finally! The game was sitting on my desk for a couple of days now, but i told myself to be patient and had to finish Zelda first.
Well here we go, so far the game is a blast, i love being able to adjust the difficulty setting and encounter rate, one of the reasons i loved TWEWY so much and Bravely Default just hits the spot too.

Iam going through the friendcode list right now, looking forward to getting some cheap and easy kills with the power of gaf :D

0860-3232-3957 ^^

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Went back with 4 more levels ( 49 ) and a few new abilities to help reduce damage taken and i beat him, yay! It was definitely much easier once i didn't have 3/4 of my party die at once. Thanks for the advice earlier though! Full cover had it's uses.

On to more adventures!

Also, about the blue chests, is the way to open them missable in any way ?

it needs some time to get into the job system, but you don't have to read guides.

on the difficulty side: normal mode can be quite challenging sometimes and require some grinding. easy should be manageable for RPG-newbies.

I haven't played Ni No Kuni, so I can't really say how it compares to this. From what I've heard Ni No Kuni is a typical oldschool RPG without the annoying parts, and that's exactly what bravely default goes for.

I used to play JRPG a lot, until I practically lost interest in the genre about ten years ago. Enter 2010 when 4HoL single-handedly brought back the fun. In comparison, BD is a way more streamlined experience. So I say give it a try. If you don't find it attractive perhaps the genre is not for you (which would be perfectly understandable as not many people are into it).

Thanks guys. Ordered and hope I will enjoy :D

galvenize

Went back with 4 more levels ( 49 ) and a few new abilities to help reduce damage taken and i beat him, yay! It was definitely much easier once i didn't have 3/4 of my party die at once. Thanks for the advice earlier though! Full cover had it's uses.

On to more adventures!

Also, about the blue chests, is the way to open them missable in any way ?

You can't miss it, even though I believe it's missable. But still, you won't miss it, unless you're blind.

Oxx

I haven't had much chance to play this week. At least the village has been pumping-out new items.

Hopefully I can get a few more streetpasses tomorrow in order to finish up all the shops.

JimPanzer

chapter 4 beginning spoilers:
is it just me or are victor and victoria super easy? had a harder time with the ice golem lol

hipgnosis

Just did the first Sub Quest, holy shit that was actually pretty hard. Barely managed.

A quick question, spoiling it just in case, not necessarily spoilery:

Are there those fetch quests later in the game, the same one as in the demo? I haven't encountered those at all yet. I'm at the demo city at the moment.

Leezard

Just did the first Sub Quest, holy shit that was actually pretty hard. Barely managed.

A quick question, spoiling it just in case, not necessarily spoilery:

Are there those fetch quests later in the game, the same one as in the demo? I haven't encountered those at all yet. I'm at the demo city at the moment.

Nope, no fetch quests. Or, kinda one as part of main quest.

Qurupeke

May I ask something about the Merchant... I just remembered what his final ability does. Does this work to bosses too? And how much I need to pay?

Jinko

Anyone else feel the game is unbalanced on Normal after Chapter 4 :S ?

I like a challenge but this feels more like Hard than Normal.

May I ask something about the Merchant... I just remembered what his final ability does. Does this work to bosses too? And how much I need to pay?
I would be surprised if it did work, although it would be kinda funny if it did
Oh i see but what's the name of the remix?
Don't know what the remix is called, can't find it anywhere.

Also, does anyone know what the 2nd and 31st items on the compounding list are? They're the only ones I'm missing

Cerity

chapter 4 beginning spoilers:
is it just me or are victor and victoria super easy? had a harder time with the ice golem lol

yeah, it was a straightforward fight. Took me ages as most people ran out of MP, that and I was running ringabel out of job...

ramyeon

Huge spoilers for end of chapter 4/start of chapter 5.

So seeing as Ringabel appears to be Alternis or at least related to him in some way does that mean his naturally best suited job is Dark Knight?

Grampasso

Chapter 3 sidequest:
What about the ghost ship sidequest? I've been searching for it at night but I've never seen it. Is it random or I need to advance more in the main story? I'm supposed to go at Grapp Keep now

ramyeon

Chapter 3 sidequest:
What about the ghost ship sidequest? I've been searching for it at night but I've never seen it. Is it random or I need to advance more in the main story? I'm supposed to go at Grapp Keep now

There's a cloud of thick fog in the ocean, I don't know if it's random but for me it was always North West a bit from Grandship.

Leeness

So now that more people have played, I want more impressions on the story!

Pretty please? I want the game now, I'm dying here. :'(

Taruranto

So now that more people have played, I want more impressions on the story!

Pretty please? I want the game now, I'm dying here. :'(

The beginning of the game involves a little kid who never hold a sword in his life and a chick who can't tell left from right charging-in and beating and killing two high-trained soldiers.

Yeah, right.

Top Bottom