• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

I quite like the story because of how basic it all is. Not a big fan of Agnes attitude, though What a bitch. I'm sure I will grow to like her but 22 hours in...she's like the Esther of this game (Esther was a bitch too in Ni No Kuni).

aravuus

If you're technically inclined (i.e can follow instructions properly) setup one of the many homepass methods. I'm sitting on 36 villagers with probably 20 from streetpass/homepass, it'd be more if I could be bothered to let the program run for longer.

What were these again? I saw something way earlier in the thread but can't find it now. I'm studying computer sciences so I'd say I'm fairly good with them, but if I'm gonna need some extra dongles or whatever, I'll skip and try to survive with my 7 fellas.

Are you updating your data every day? I've been getting 3 villagers every day from net friend invites via spot pass that way.

Yeah, I keep updating that data like every couple hours lol. No way I'm gonna get any streetpass hits in Finland, ever.

Someone said you shouldn't read the diary if you don't want parts of the story spoiled, but since there seems to be a proper twist, does the journal reveal anything about that?

Cerity

Does it work for OSX? That's all I have in my house, does sound convenient though.

What were these again? I saw something way earlier in the thread but can't find it now. I'm studying computer sciences so I'd say I'm fairly good with them, but if I'm gonna need some extra dongles or whatever, I'll skip and try to survive with my 7 fellas.

methods here

there are automated programs that'll do it for you on windows, linux and android but it looks like you'll have to change addresses manually for osx.

ramyeon

Someone said you shouldn't read the diary if you don't want parts of the story spoiled, but since there seems to be a proper twist, does the journal reveal anything about that?
Not at all. I am pretty sure it's meant to be read from the get-go. It actually makes the plot twist more interesting. And there are a LOT of twists anyway. From what I gather so far.

methods here

there are automated programs that'll do it for you on windows, linux and android but it looks like you'll have to change addresses manually for osx.
Cheers, I'll take a look into it.

aravuus

Seems like the Android method is worth giving a try as I unfortunately don't have a PC with a wifi card at hand. Let's hope for the best.

Not at all. I am pretty sure it's meant to be read from the get-go. It actually makes the plot twist more interesting. And there are a LOT of twists anyway. From what I gather so far.

Ah, alright. I'll give it a read then!

Enjolras

Neo Member
Had the game for nearly a week, and I'm only just up to (Late Chapter 3 boss)
Behemoth
who keeps wrecking my party. I wish that the dagger special attack didn't rely on item usage, though - my ninja has no reason to ever be using items when I have a salve-maker who can do the job twice as well!

My Norende's doing pretty well, though. Seems like a lot of people are still playing the demo around here, which bodes well for me getting more villagers.

I've been trying to get every job to level 9 to help people on abilinking (if they want to use it). I abused the abilinks for the first few hours (bless you, damage dispersion), but then decided that I preferred doing it the "hard" way. It's also quite good fun trying out jobs as soon as you get them, even if you think you won't be using them later on - Ringabel as a pirate/spell fencer is a dangerous combination - especially once he's unlocked Drain/Aspir!

Storyline-wise, so far it seems to be a normal JRPG - save the world, beat the elemental bosses etc - however, I have my doubts that it'll stay this way. D's journal is giving me VLR-style vibes that there's a major twist that turns the whole game upside down for future playthroughs, and I'm rather looking forward to it.

Edea's awesome. She totally makes up for Agnes.

ramyeon

Had the game for nearly a week, and I'm only just up to (Late Chapter 3 boss)
Behemoth
who keeps wrecking my party. I wish that the dagger special attack didn't rely on item usage, though - my ninja has no reason to ever be using items when I have a salve-maker who can do the job twice as well!
Switch your Ninja to Swordmaster and level it up till you get the Katana Lore passive ability, then switch back and equip that. You'll never look back (Get Multitask while you're at it and sit back and watch them destroy stuff).

Enjolras

Neo Member
Switch your Ninja to Swordmaster and level it up till you get the Katana Lore passive ability, then switch back and equip that. You'll never look back (Get Multitask while you're at it and sit back and watch them destroy stuff).
Man, I didn't even think of that. Should I go dual-wield, or should I get the two-handed ability as well?

Heropon

I love this game so much. Finding the level 6 summon by surprise was great, and that encourages me to keep exploring to see if I can find more interesting things.

ramyeon

Right, that's the plan for today. Cheers guys!

Kuroneko - I'd probably have an easier time if Agnes wasn't a salve-maker who gets so much more out of using items!
After applying those passives to the Ninja, then level them up in Spell Fencer and use that as the Job Ability. Ninja with Spell Fencer and Swordmaster passives is crazy.

Enjolras

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure spell-fencer is just broken. Pair it with Ranger, and you can abuse both elemental and family weakness with each attack - pair it with Red Mage, and you can restore your MP whenever you need with Aspir... the possibilities are endless.

aravuus

Seems like the Android method is worth giving a try as I unfortunately don't have a PC with a wifi card at hand. Let's hope for the best.

Doesn't work for whatever weird reason :(

Oh well, guess I'll just have to play the game the way normal people do. And grind like hell.

ramyeon

I'm pretty sure spell-fencer is just broken. Pair it with Ranger, and you can abuse both elemental and family weakness with each attack - pair it with Red Mage, and you can restore your MP whenever you need with Aspir... the possibilities are endless.
Yeah it's crazy, it's the perfect support ability really.

Jinko

So do you need to use the Bravely Second in order to get your Streetpass/Friend summon above 9999 in power?

To use theirs ? nope.

And yea if you are struggling for villagers setting up a homepass will net you loads, I'm currently sitting at 179 at the moment.

demonkaze

I'm curious about the JP Up ability, does it affect only the character that has it equipped or the entire party as i'm sure the Egg accessories affect the whole party?

Shahadan

Knight+Singer ability > Catch Me + Ironclad
Pirate+Spellfencer > magic sword + Double Damage or Berserk
Valkyrie+Redmage > Wreck shit and get BP back

I'm destroying everything at the moment.

Yasawas

I'm ten hours in and haven't done a special move yet or really understand what they are actually, am I normal? All I can see about them in Ringabel's book is some vague instruction about having to do so many attacks in a row or something and I didn't understand and just went back to punching stuff to death instead. This game has some great punching.

Jindrael

Banned
I hope somebody can help me with this, for what exactly are the compound items?

Haven't found a use for them yet, is there are crafting system later on?

Kater

Banned
I'm now in Chapter 3, yay!
Question: Is the man who did the VA for Grimoire Weiss in Nier doing the VA for
the Commander of the Black Blades?

Jinko

I'm ten hours in and haven't done a special move yet or really understand what they are actually, am I normal? All I can see about them in Ringabel's book is some vague instruction about having to do so many attacks in a row or something and I didn't understand and just went back to punching stuff to death instead. This game has some great punching.

You don't get access t it til later, you will also need to upgrade the shop in Norende lower right corner to get the special moves.

I hope somebody can help me with this, for what exactly are the compound items?

Haven't found a use for them yet, is there are crafting system later on?

Those are for salve maker.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm now in Chapter 3, yay!
Question: Is the man who did the VA for Grimoire Weiss in Nier doing the VA for
the Commander of the Black Blades?

If you are talking about the Samurai dude in Green I believe he is voiced by Liam O'Brien. Not sure though.

Qurupeke

Seriously I gotta do this again ? -.-

It's the third time I'm doing this. :( Yeah, I think I'll pass a few battles...It got quite boring...At least now I know how to defeat most of them. For example, the dragons of the vampire were at first a real pain but now I can defeat them in a few turns, with little damage.

SunGod

It's the third time I'm doing this. :( Yeah, I think I'll pass a few battles...It got quite boring...At least now I know how to defeat most of them. For example, the dragons of the vampire were at first a real pain but now I can defeat them in a few turns, with little damage.

The bosses get stronger and grouped together more often, the battles become more fun :) the crystal bosses are as easy as ever though.

Beaten the game, all characters level 99, all jobs mastered, all summons gained. I just have to beat
The Adventurer and his Companion
and I'm all done. Although I think I missed some of the blue treasure chests as D's journal is missing a few entries and I've checked all the shops.

Edit: Afterwards I might go back and get all the
Genome
abilities and do all the
Compounding
to finish up D's journal.

The Chapter 4 side quest marker
Dragons
just flat out wreck me at this stage (I'm level 53). There's literally nothing I can do since they just
Eye my resistances away
and then kill my entire party with their
breath
. Think I may go and complete the Earth temple first and come back afterwards.

Qurupeke

Dragons
just flat out wreck me at this stage (I'm level 53). There's literally nothing I can do since they just
Eye my resistances away
breath

I found sleep really effective against them.

NekoFever

Is there an equivalent item in this game to the tents in Final Fantasy? I go through MP like you wouldn't believe and they'd be very handy for when I'm saving before a boss, especially when magic restoration items are so expensive.

I just sold my copy, since my boredom reached its peak around the 20 hour mark and the story contributed considerably to that. As generic and one-dimensional as it gets with stakes that couldn't be lower and completely failing to make me care about anything at all. It rivals the Tales series no problem.
I'm still curious to know what the plot twist is (or all of them, I guess). Anyone have a link or something so I can read up on that?

I posted this in the spoiler thread already, but I suppose nobody is reading that.

aravuus

Wish I knew how the game calculates dealt damage. Turned Tiz into a pirate from monk, and now he's dealing ~300 damage with normal attacks against regular foes, whereas he dealt almost a 1000 damage as the monk. Even Ringabel deals 1000 damage with bows as a thief. Tiz' atk stat is way higher...

Kouriozan

I just sold my copy, since my boredom reached its peak around the 20 hour mark and the story contributed considerably to that. As generic and one-dimensional as it gets with stakes that couldn't be lower and completely failing to make me care about anything at all. It rivals the Tales series no problem.
I'm still curious to know what the plot twist is (or all of them, I guess). Anyone have a link or something so I can read up on that?

I posted this in the spoiler thread already, but I suppose nobody is reading that.

Yeah, I kinda agree, then the twist happen and I couldn't stop playing. I want to know everything!

Dragons
Eye my resistances away
breath

Use a salve maker. Combine beast hair + dragon fang to make giants draft and use one on each character. It doubles your characters max hp for the entire battle and fully recovers them. You can also make use of the elemental immunity to block 1 or 2 of their breath attacks

Top Bottom