• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

ramyeon

The Growth Egg and Golden Egg are definitely worth the investment. Just got over 1400JP for one random encounter. And some encounters give me up to 25,000pg with the Golden Egg.

darkziosj

The beginning of the game involves a little kid who never hold a sword in his life and a chick who can't tell left from right charging-in and beating and killing two high-trained soldiers.

Yeah, right.

She's the vestal of wind, pretty sure she carried tiz lawl.

ramyeon

Those were bought from the Norende item store, right? What level?
Accessory Store, Golden Egg is level 9 and Growth Egg is level 10. Only downside is if you use one you forfeit something. Golden Egg means no JP or EXP and Growth means no PG. You only need to equip it to one character though and it effects the whole party, so it's great.

Golden Egg costs 200,000PG
Growth Egg costs 500,000PG

Definitely worth the investment though, I made back the money really quickly.

SunGod

Finished the game and got the
true ending

My final save was exactly 58 hours, all characters level 99 with ~13 jobs mastered each. I've finished all but one optional battle,
just the optional cave to go...

Did some quick maths and it should take around an hour and a half to max every job and another 20 or so minutes to get all the PG I need for the costumes (there are just four, right?)

Zornica

Banned
Do I miss anything on the worldmap if I just keep running from point A to point B without looking around? any hidden locations or something like that?

Finished the game and got the
true ending

My final save was exactly 58 hours, all characters level 99 with ~13 jobs mastered each. I've finished all but one optional battle,
just the optional cave to go...

Did some quick maths and it should take around an hour and a half to max every job and another 20 or so minutes to get all the PG I need for the costumes (there are just four, right?)

There's 5 (1 "evolving" one for each character + 1 that gives whoever wears it their default/freelancer look, that might mean you technically have to buy 8 I guess).

The first proper boss
the mage dude
is kicking my ass. I could beat him but someone always faints and I'm out of phoenix downs. I'd rather not summon anyone because I started late and everyone can probably OHKO him lol

What about the new ones for FtS? Are they not available in the PAL release?

I don't know, I just finished Nolende today, so if there is it isn't from there.

I haven't finished the game yet so they could still be somewhere but considering the censorsing of the Bravo Bikini, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't.

ramyeon

I don't know, I just finished Nolende today, so if there is it isn't from there.

I haven't finished the game yet so they could still be somewhere but considering the censorsing of the Bravo Bikini, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't.
Shame if they aren't. I can do without the Agnes and Ringabel ones but the Edea and Tiz ones actually looked really good.

I'm already pretty hyped for this, as the combat looks so varied and dissectable, and the artstyle looks awesome.

How's the Story/Characters/Dialogue? Don't want this to be another Valk Chronicles where I really liked the presentation and the mechanics but not the writing.

How's the Story/Characters/Dialogue? Don't want this to be another Valk Chronicles where I really liked the presentation and the mechanics but not the writing.
I'd like to know this too. People have commented on how it feels like older FFs in presentation but not much is said about the writing.

I'm already pretty hyped for this, as the combat looks so varied and dissectable, and the artstyle looks awesome.

No idea how the story is, but I've heard the dialogue can be quite funny and enjoyable.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'd like to know this too. People have commented on how it feels like older FFs in presentation but not much is said about the writing.

I haven't reached the 'twist' yet, but so far the writing's okay. A bit generic but not particularly cringeworthy. Somewhere between FFV and IX in terms of quality and style.

Cerity

writing is pretty generic up until the twist, also reading the journal beforehead will probably do your head in.

I levelled salve maker on agnes alongside white mage and I'm using that support ability that increases the effects of healing actions. Cure is healing around 2k, cura around 4k and unsure about curada because I haven't needed to use it, loving it, mp economy!

KeRaSh

I don't know why I kept ignoring this until now but after reading the OP is feel like I need this yesterday. Will download it as soon as I get home from work!
Why is there no Dragoon Job Class?
;_;

Atram

I don't know why I kept ignoring this until now but after reading the OP is feel like I need this yesterday. Will download it as soon as I get home from work!
;_;

There is one, only the Name is different ;)

ramyeon

writing is pretty generic up until the twist, also reading the journal beforehead will probably do your head in.

I levelled salve maker on agnes alongside white mage and I'm using that support ability that increases the effects of healing actions. Cure is healing around 2k, cura around 4k and unsure about curada because I haven't needed to use it, loving it, mp economy!
It's definitely best to read the journal from the get go, though. Even if you don't understand a lot of it at the time. As events occur
and you start noticing the differences it becomes really intriguing, and then the twist. Heh.

Speaking of twists, my meeting with Lester the Vampire has pretty much confirmed my suspicions (Huge spoilers)
That Airy is the villain that's conspired all of this. Hadn't trusted her from a couple of chapters in, but when Lester states that someone would fool the vestals and appear as someone close to them, that pretty much sealed the deal.

How long is this game exactly? I'm about 20 hours in and it's starting to drag. Which is surprising considering how snappy and bite-sized everything is, but for the last couple of hours I feel like I have seen everything this game has to offer. The story still only barely being sufferable doesn't help.

ramyeon

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good Secodary Job to pair with Dark Knight? I've mastered it with Ringabel and I'm liking it so far, just having a tough time deciding what other job to pair it with and what Passive Abilities to chuck on him.

If anyone has a great Dark Knight build please let me know!

Gambit

I've started playing the game yesterday and ended up doing so for four hours. I love it!

Sadly, I couldn't control myself and used some friend summons to defeat the one boss, which kind of felt like cheating. Only after that bossfight did I notice that Monks are much stronger without weapons...I should have remembered that from FFV!

Anyhow, I really like the translation and all the character names. Holly Whyte? Ominous Crowe? lol

So far, as it seems with many, my favourites are Ringabel and Edea.

Grampasso

;_;

Valkyrie is supposed to be dragoon. You can obtain it from a sidequest since the end of chapter 2 if I remember correctly

Hedge

The only thing that really gets old with this writing, is the near obsessive way Ringabel chases women. It was a funny quirk at first, but do we really have to hear about it every god damn five minutes.

Also, the tone is surprisingly macabre at times.

Qurupeke

Done with Lester!

Man, this battle was difficult. Certainly not as hard as the first time, but he still was powerful. I think the trick here is to not let your health go down, because the Bone Crush can kill you in one hit then. I healed with my red mage and then I hit as hard as I can with the red knight and the templar. Btw, can someone explain Genome Drain...?

aravuus

Accessory Store, Golden Egg is level 9 and Growth Egg is level 10. Only downside is if you use one you forfeit something. Golden Egg means no JP or EXP and Growth means no PG. You only need to equip it to one character though and it effects the whole party, so it's great.

Golden Egg costs 200,000PG
Growth Egg costs 500,000PG

Definitely worth the investment though, I made back the money really quickly.

Oh, harsh. Not sure if I'll ever reach those levels with any shops though, been playing the game nonstop but since I only have 7 villagers, the later levels take a loooong time to be built. At this pace, I'll be finished by Sunday lol, no way I'm gonna get the accessory shop to level 10 by then.

I've started playing the game yesterday and ended up doing so for four hours. I love it!

Sadly, I couldn't control myself and used some friend summons to defeat the one boss, which kind of felt like cheating. Only after that bossfight did I notice that Monks are much stronger without weapons...I should have remembered that from FFV!

Anyhow, I really like the translation and all the character names. Holly Whyte? Ominous Crowe? lol

So far, as it seems with many, my favourites are Ringabel and Edea.

Nice, same impressions here!

The story so far is pretty goddamn generic, and the driving force for me are the characters. Agnes is slightly annoying with her voice acting, continuous "unacceptable" and 'cute naivety' which I really don't think is cute, Tiz is... Well, super bland good guy. Everything he says kind of just is there, I literally feel nothing when I read his dialogue lol.

But Ringabel and Edea are fucking great! Love them.

One thing that kind of surprised me slightly is the fact that we - 3 normal teenagers (and Edea lo), just going around doing good stuff - really kill everyone on our path. Especially with the sub-quests,
I was expecting most to yield or see their errors or whatever idealistic bullshit the writers could come up with, but we've killed everyone. Even a goddamn king lol, and I'm only on chapter 2
. And I love it!

ramyeon

Done with Lester!

Man, this battle was difficult. Certainly not as hard as the first time, but he still was powerful. I think the trick here is to not let your health go down, because the Bone Crush can kill you in one hit then. I healed with my red mage and then I hit as hard as I can with the red knight and the templar. Btw, can someone explain Genome Drain...?
Just did this myself and I found it pretty easy. Granted, I'm probably over levelled by this point (lv 73), but yeah as long as he doesn't do Energy Burst and Bone Crush directly in a row it's not too bad!

Qurupeke

Just did this myself and I found it pretty easy. Granted, I'm probably over levelled by this point (lv 73), but yeah as long as he doesn't do Energy Burst and Bone Crush directly in a row it's not too bad!

I'm 73~ too but I still had trouble. lol I think the reason is that I don't have a proper healer. I could heal about 800-1000 to all or 2000~ to one every turn and only Agnes could heal. I guess I should try the Salve maker...

aravuus

Oh yeah, and the music is so so good! Doesn't quite reach the awesome levels of Shimomura's KH or Uematsu's FF VII-X, but it's very high up in the list of great osts.

ramyeon

I'm 73~ too but I still had trouble. lol I think the reason is that I don't have a proper healer. I could heal about 800-1000 to all or 2000~ to one every turn and only Agnes could heal. I guess I should try the Salve maker...
Yeah you definitely should. Healing Lore on Salve-Maker is irreplaceable. I only have 1 healer as well but with Healing Lore that's all I need. Curada heals for 4000+ to all with it.

Gambit

The story so far is pretty goddamn generic, and the driving force for me are the characters. Agnes is slightly annoying with her voice acting, continuous "unacceptable" and 'cute naivety' which I really don't think is cute, Tiz is... Well, super bland good guy. Everything he says kind of just is there, I literally feel nothing when I read his dialogue lol.

But Ringabel and Edea are fucking great! Love them.

They are indeed. Some of my favourite recent JRPG characters (so far).

Question for all those that are much further. About D's diary: Do I read it now? will that spoil things? Should I read it at all? When is the best time to read it?

ramyeon

Oh, harsh. Not sure if I'll ever reach those levels with any shops though, been playing the game nonstop but since I only have 7 villagers, the later levels take a loooong time to be built. At this pace, I'll be finished by Sunday lol, no way I'm gonna get the accessory shop to level 10 by then.
Are you updating your data every day? I've been getting 3 villagers every day from net friend invites via spot pass that way.
They are indeed. Some of my favourite recent JRPG characters (so far).

Question for all those that are much further. About D's diary: Do I read it now? will that spoil things? Should I read it at all? When is the best time to read it?
Read it now. It'll make little sense anyway but as you progress you'll notice similarities and differences, it's available from the get-go because it's meant to be read.

Done with Lester!

Basically Vampire is just like the standard Blue Mage of Final Fantasy. Got hit by certain mob skill and you can learn & use it

Gambit

Are you updating your data every day? I've been getting 3 villagers every day from net friend invites via spot pass that way.

Read it now. It'll make little sense anyway but as you progress you'll notice similarities and differences, it's available from the get-go because it's meant to be read.

Thanks, will do.

Also, I got the game the same day as Muntu and also only have 7 villagers so far. It told me I can check again tomorrow. We're just a couple days behind.

ramyeon

Thanks, will do.

Also, I got the game the same day as Muntu and also only have 7 villagers so far. It told me I can check again tomorrow. We're just a couple days behind.
Ah yeah, it's a slow process... I've got 22 villagers so far but some people here have 50+, wish it was easier to get for people who don't receive a lot of street passes.

galvenize

How long is this game exactly? I'm about 20 hours in and it's starting to drag. Which is surprising considering how snappy and bite-sized everything is, but for the last couple of hours I feel like I have seen everything this game has to offer. The story still only barely being sufferable doesn't help.

The second half of the game gets much better in my opinion.

Cerity

Ah yeah, it's a slow process... I've got 22 villagers so far but some people here have 50+, wish it was easier to get for people who don't receive a lot of street passes.

If you're technically inclined (i.e can follow instructions properly) setup one of the many homepass methods. I'm sitting on 36 villagers with probably 20 from streetpass/homepass, it'd be more if I could be bothered to let the program run for longer.

ramyeon

If you're technically inclined (i.e can follow instructions properly) setup one of the many homepass methods. I'm sitting on 36 villagers with probably 20 from streetpass/homepass, it'd be more if I could be bothered to let the program run for longer.
Does it work for OSX? That's all I have in my house, does sound convenient though.

Top Bottom