• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

nasos_333

I just sold my copy, since my boredom reached its peak around the 20 hour mark and the story contributed considerably to that. As generic and one-dimensional as it gets with stakes that couldn't be lower and completely failing to make me care about anything at all. It rivals the Tales series no problem.
I'm still curious to know what the plot twist is (or all of them, I guess). Anyone have a link or something so I can read up on that?

I posted this in the spoiler thread already, but I suppose nobody is reading that.

This is known to be a 60 hour game, so i dont think they would ever reveal everything important in the first third of the game

This is known to be a 60 hour game, so i dont think they would ever reveal everything important in the first third of the game

They did not reveal anything at all. That's why I'm asking if someone could fill me in or point me to a place where I could read up on the rest of the story.

I just sold my copy, since my boredom reached its peak around the 20 hour mark and the story contributed considerably to that. As generic and one-dimensional as it gets with stakes that couldn't be lower and completely failing to make me care about anything at all. It rivals the Tales series no problem.
I'm still curious to know what the plot twist is (or all of them, I guess). Anyone have a link or something so I can read up on that?

I posted this in the spoiler thread already, but I suppose nobody is reading that.

The main screen subtitle Where the Fairy Flies.... remove 2 letters, and that will give you the hint of the plot twist

JJD

So the EU version is already out? Is there any way for me to buy this digitally on available eshops?

Anyone knows if any EU eshop accepts any international credit card like the canadian one?

If not, what is the best way to buy Nintendo Cards online in europe?

Really wanted to play this game right now after finishing Zelda and I don't want to wait until the US/Canadian release.

Thanks guys!

kiryogi

Banned
Hayashi loves to let things go on normal for a period of time it seems. But once stuff hits, it literally all down hill from there. Although Robotic:Notes was SLOW as hell.

Cerity

Wish I knew how the game calculates dealt damage. Turned Tiz into a pirate from monk, and now he's dealing ~300 damage with normal attacks against regular foes, whereas he dealt almost a 1000 damage as the monk. Even Ringabel deals 1000 damage with bows as a thief. Tiz' atk stat is way higher...

number of hits really. As well as the the type of job.

The lower the job level, typically the less hits you'll do. I had tiz as a ranger earlier and he was regularly pulling off 8-9 hits and dealing 1k~. I changed him to pirate, geared him up and he had nearly double the p-atk but was only dealing around 400-700 with 3-4 hits. Now pirate is job level 11 and he's doing anywhere from 1000-1800 in 6-7 hits.

So the EU version is already out? Is there any way for me to buy this digitally on available eshops?

Anyone knows if any EU eshop accepts any international credit card like the canadian one?

If not, what is the best way to buy Nintendo Cards online in europe?

Really wanted to play this game right now after finishing Zelda and I don't want to wait until the US/Canadian release.

Thanks guys!

Nope. Stores are locked to your console, you'd only have access to the NA eshop.

I'm kind of disturbed how lightly they seem to treat death at times. I beat Barbarossa for the second time and Tiz was all like "Oh yeh, I wanted to be a sailor at some point too" YOU JUST MURDERED SOMEONE!

aravuus

number of hits really. As well as the the type of job.

The lower the job level, typically the less hits you'll do. I had tiz as a ranger earlier and he was regularly pulling off 8-9 hits and dealing 1k~. I changed him to pirate, geared him up and he had nearly double the p-atk but was only dealing around 400-700 with 3-4 hits. Now pirate is job level 11 and he's doing anywhere from 1000-1800 in 6-7 hits.

Oh, well that explains it, thanks! Time to grind a bit with pirate Tiz then, shouldn't take longer than 20 minutes to get to level 7-8 with these enemies.

krossj

Special moves are no joke! Chapter two,
was having difficulty with Rusalka. I couldn't defeat it after a number of attempts but I got everyones special move ready and added lighting damage and more or less destroyed with it getting only one full round of attacks in
. Levels 34 and 33 and feel a bit like I got out the easy way with that one..

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Near the end of chapter 4
Airy says there's no turning back, it's obviously not the end of the game, but it gives me a prompt if i am ready or not. Is there anything missable that i should do before going into the Pillar of Light ?

Near the end of chapter 4
Airy says there's no turning back, it's obviously not the end of the game, but it gives me a prompt if i am ready or not. Is there anything missable that i should do before going into the Pillar of Light ?

In BDFF you miss a bunch of
Genome Drain abilities which you can only get much much later
:/

JimPanzer

The Chapter 4 side quest marker
Dragons
just flat out wreck me at this stage (I'm level 53). There's literally nothing I can do since they just
Eye my resistances away
and then kill my entire party with their
breath
. Think I may go and complete the Earth temple first and come back afterwards.

got the same problem :( can't beat them

and I thought I was overleveled.
earth temple
boss was no problem. are those
dragons
for higher levels?

Zenaku

I was actually looking forward to seeing you get to the main twist to see if you changed your opinion, but ah well.

Probably looked on Google already, but I've posted in the spoiler thread with the main points, and a little conjecture. One thing I've noticed heavily playing through FtS; the game actually gives a hell of a lot of little clues about the story throughout, but I never gave them a second thought the first time I played it.

Clegg

Is there a way to make money quickly in this game? I'm rebuilding the village and there's bits of armour I'd like but they're 70k a pop and I stuck around the 30k mark.

I found sleep really effective against them.

got the same problem :( can't beat them

and I thought I was overleveled.
earth temple
boss was no problem. are those
dragons
for higher levels?

These guys hit really hard but there's a cheating scumbag way to defeat them. You need to have level 4 Red Mage and level 5 Ninja I think it was. Level 4 red mage gives you a support ability called Turn Tables, then you need the Ninja Support Ability Transcience. Then finally when you have the Utsusemi move, you can kick the crap out of em. You use that move at the start of battle and you'll never be hit and constantly counter their moves. Plus the Turn Tables ability gives you an extra BP each time you evade from the Utsusemi move, so you can attack + counter in one round. Rinse and repeat till it's dead Jim.

Cerity

Is there a way to make money quickly in this game? I'm rebuilding the village and there's bits of armour I'd like but they're 70k a pop and I stuck around the 30k mark.

merchants more money (inherent) ability gives you 1.5x more pg after battle and it stacks with multiple users. You could also use salesman on high price items for that 2.4x markup.

I'm nearly at the end of ch4, I've got one person with more money enabled, I'm grinding and I'm getting about 3k per 20 sec battle. I've just bought Agnes' alternate outfit :D

ramyeon

Finally have them all now!

zlcfzrpcozwf-mna66hefy5.jpeg

zlcfzrpcrtqd7sirjskhs74.jpeg

Edea's and Ringabel's are definitely my favourites.

Clegg

merchants more money (inherent) ability gives you 1.5x more pg after battle and it stacks with multiple users. You could also use salesman on high price items for that 2.4x markup.

I'm nearly at the end of ch4, I've got one person with more money enabled, I'm grinding and I'm getting about 3k per 20 sec battle. I've just bought Agnes' alternate outfit :D
Thanks.

Seems a bit of a cheap method. But that's exactly what I'm looking for!!

kiryogi

Banned
I was actually looking forward to seeing you get to the main twist to see if you changed your opinion, but ah well.

Probably looked on Google already, but I've posted in the spoiler thread with the main points, and a little conjecture. One thing I've noticed heavily playing through FtS; the game actually gives a hell of a lot of little clues about the story throughout, but I never gave them a second thought the first time I played it.
like how convinent it was the first time you met Alternis and Ringabel was out and about? Yeah there's little sprinkles everywhere. But it's all very oblivious to the player until that point. Which can try the patience of some people.

Vewen

Neo Member
A friend (who is also active on neogaf) got me so far to get the game.

My friend code: 4184-2148-8148 (Belgium)

I'll try to add the friendcodes in the OP tomorrow.

Jinko

like how convinent it was the first time you met Alternis and Ringabel was out and about? Yeah there's little sprinkles everywhere. But it's all very oblivious to the player until that point. Which can try the patience of some people.

Meh I am on the "third go round"
and I am getting bored of it, it feels kind of cheap if they are just trying to prolong the story :S

I'm still curious how it will finially play out, but geezz get on with it already

aravuus

Edea as a ninja seems pretty goddamn powerful. Deals around 800dmg with both hands so 1600dmg on one turn. Critting makes it go even higher!

Heropon

I've been wiped out thanks to the randomness in the turn order in the battle against (chapter 4 spoilers)
an elemental dragon
. Agnes thought it was a good idea to heal before the enemy in one turn and then do it last in the next just when the enemy decided to use its most powerful attack twice in a row... Time to invest in agility so that doesn't happen again.

Cerity

I don't know why but I'm just having fun levelling these jobs. Currently levelling up freelancer for the JP +. Anyone know if it stacks?

Zornica

Banned
I used to have a Monk in my party since the start of the game, but while everyone else got somewhat usefull, the monk still seems kinda weak... is there any point in keeping that class any longer?
(I am somewhere in the middle of chapter 2, job level ~7/8)

ramyeon

Chapter 5 spoilers.

I hate that when doing the bosses over again as sub quests the majority of dialogue seems to be identical to the first time. There are a few that are changed up a bit, but those are the exceptions. Seriously, it doesn't make sense that the heroes are talking as if it's their first time in the situation.

aravuus

I used to have a Monk in my party since the start of the game, but while everyone else got somewhat usefull, the monk still seems kinda weak... is there any point in keeping that class any longer?
(I am somewhere in the middle of chapter 2, job level ~7/8)

Tiz had been a monk from the start and only just now (mid to late chp3) changed him into a pirate. He was pretty much the biggest damage dealer in my party of 3 melee attackers and one white mage. Wonder what you're doing differently..

Zornica

Banned
Tiz had been a monk from the start and only just now (mid to late chp3) changed him into a pirate. He was pretty much the biggest damage dealer in my party of 3 melee attackers and one white mage. Wonder what you're doing differently..

Either my monk is dealing way less damage than yours, or the rest of my party is dealing way more than yours...
atm, my bow-thief ringabell could probably beat the whole game on his own...
I guess I might change the monk to something else, it's just not working.

btw: are all the charakters the same stat-wise without jobs? or are some of them better/worse at specific jobs?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
The story is even better the second time around. Currently playing with maxed characters and jobs and encounters turned off.

Cerity

man, any tips for the end of ch4 fight?
alternis is kicking my ass. I have tiz and edea pumping about 3k damage ea per turn, Ringabel doing about 2k and Agnes pumping out heals every turn. Alternis either does his group attack which does about 2k to everyone or his minus strike which does 9999, which means he's killing a character or multiple characters every turn if I'm not careful. The moment he targets Agnes I'm pretty much dead.

Use a salve maker. Combine beast hair + dragon fang to make giants draft and use one on each character. It doubles your characters max hp for the entire battle and fully recovers them. You can also make use of the elemental immunity to block 1 or 2 of their breath attacks

A++. Would cheese using this method again.

Jintor

Question: any way to re-view tutorials? I accidentally closed the streetpass village stuff and now I don't know how it works. I mean, I can guess, but...

Also, re: the SP stuff, do you need to have BD in sleep mode or is streetpass being active and the 3DS being in sleep mode sufficient?

daydream

Banned
Question: any way to re-view tutorials? I accidentally closed the streetpass village stuff and now I don't know how it works. I mean, I can guess, but..

Also, re: the SP stuff, do you need to have BD in sleep mode or is streetpass being active and the 3DS being in sleep mode sufficient?

Open the sidebar on the left (press right or touch the arrow) and open D's journal (book icon). You'll find everything you need here. ("Help" has all the tutorials).

BD needs to be running for the SP stuff (same goes for the village).

Either my monk is dealing way less damage than yours, or the rest of my party is dealing way more than yours...
atm, my bow-thief ringabell could probably beat the whole game on his own...
I guess I might change the monk to something else, it's just not working.

btw: are all the charakters the same stat-wise without jobs? or are some of them better/worse at specific jobs?

There's some slight differences to base stats (Ringabell is fastest and has 2nd best Int, Agnes has best Mind and Int but is slower than molasses, Edea is well suited for most warrior jobs but has a terrible Int (and isn't very fast), Tiz is a jack of all trades with a preference for physical jobs). They generally become less and less relevant as levels go up and you get equipment that boosts stats.

Turn order (from speed) seems to be something of an exception though (possibly because it's some kind of ~ flat comparison as opposed to a complicated formula), Ringabell will often outpace people in jobs theoretically faster than he is.

Top Bottom