• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Vampire class censored in Europe... *sigh*

BbTfNLBIIAAbh2l.jpg

Astarte

Squeenix seems to be taking some costume censorship precautions a bit. I'm not one to complain about missing visibility of hips, but a toggle would be nice.

Qurupeke

After the ending of the game, can you do subquests etc.? I'm about to finish it I think but I'll pass the
bosses rematches. Also, I'm about level 80, will I have trouble with the final boss?

Hedge

I love Yoshida's designs, and I still prefer the censored versions because, really, they haven't changed drastically.

daydream

Banned
The four main characters in BD are so incredibly likable that I love the Party Chat sections, especially the second time through.

In theory, the protagonists are supposed to balance each other out. Tiz and Agnès are more serious characters while Edea (<3) and Ringabel provide the comic relief.

In practice, however, Edea and Ringabel work so well as a team (and I've actually come around a bit on Ringabel, mostly because I'm genuinely interested in his amnesia) that Tiz and Agnès fall more or less flat, the latter especially. She's too uptight, corny and overall annoying. Her (English) voice makes my head hurt, way too high-pitched.

It's only a minor complaint for me, since it doesn't really have anything to do with the big narrative. And the Party Chats end up being about completely unrelated matters most of the time (and Agnès can forget about being the wind vestal for a second - big deal, lady), so they're usually pretty entertaining.

The other thing bugging me would be the poor execution on the overworld. I'm sure they will nail that part in the sequel, but for now, it's terribly empty, lifeless and in a baaad disagreement with the framerate.

Kater

Banned
The other thing bugging me would be the poor execution on the overworld. I'm sure they will nail that part in the sequel, but for now, it's terribly empty, lifeless and in a baaad disagreement with the framerate.
The framerate seems to suffer the most when you are walking through wood areas.
And yeah, the overworld map doesn't look even as good as the one in EOIV which is a bit surprising since the rest of the game looks so incredibly good.

Dark_castle

I had stopped my BDFF playthrough around the Ch4 midway point, so I did basically this to get back to where i left off.

It's been really nice to play with all the little improvements.

It's a shame some people find the story up until this point to be boring. The character interactions are a step above most JRPGs out there (especially Tales, which is garbage level terrible, on the character interaction scale. There's plenty of it, but the characters are crap)

The four main characters in BD are so incredibly likable that I love the Party Chat sections, especially the second time through.

Are you playing in English? After 50 hours with those characters in Japanese in BDFF, I couldn't bring myself to change voices over to English for FTS.

Could it be because you play all the Tales in English with the cheesy voice acting? It's not exactly fair when you play Bravely Default in its native language while comparing it to Tales with inferior English VA.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
In theory, the protagonists are supposed to balance each other out. Tiz and Agnès are more serious characters while Edea (<3) and Ringabel provide the comic relief.

In practice, however, Edea and Ringabel work so well as a team (and I've actually come around a bit on Ringabel, mostly because I'm genuinely interested in his amnesia) that Tiz and Agnès fall more or less flat, the latter especially. She's too uptight, corny and overall annoying. Her (English) voice makes my head hurt, way too high-pitched.

It's only a minor complaint for me, since it doesn't really have anything to do with the big narrative. And the Party Chats end up being about completely unrelated matters most of the time (and Agnès can forget about being the wind vestal for a second - big deal, lady), so they're usually pretty entertaining.

TBF Edea is about as serious as Tiz since most of at least the first half is her conversations, about her and her former comrades. (and a lot of random uneeded drama).

Honestly the most interesting parts of the game so far are whats wrong with tiz and ringabells amnesia. The rest is fairly boring.

Kater

Banned
I'm at Chapter 3 at the moment.
Ringabels Amnesia and
the civil war
are the things in the story that are dragging me along in the game at the moment.
And the lady that Ringabel saw
in Hartschild who climbs on walls(!). Very suspicious. I bet she's up to something!

I was actually looking forward to seeing you get to the main twist to see if you changed your opinion, but ah well.

Probably looked on Google already, but I've posted in the spoiler thread with the main points, and a little conjecture. One thing I've noticed heavily playing through FtS; the game actually gives a hell of a lot of little clues about the story throughout, but I never gave them a second thought the first time I played it.

I was just reading it. Thanks for that.

It sounds like a pretty neat plot twist from what I can tell (impossible to say how well it's executed without actually playing it), but I don't think it would have been enough to suck me back in. The first twenty hours soured me too much on the story and I'm not sure if these twists would carry the game another forty. It also might just be a little too out there for my taste.

akaoni

Banned
I got to like the 4/5th dungeon in the game that's in the SE area, reached the boss and pretty much get wiped fairly easily in the few times I've tried. I've been fighting every battle and never really had enough money to buy all the items that were available for one job per character. So I kind of hit a wall only a few hours into the game, slowly it grew larger as time went on. My other complaint is the battle system is tedious spamming braves and selecting commands however many times. Does switching to easy mean no shitty grinding or does the difficulty actually change AI etc?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Looking better or not, the point is that censoring is fucking stupid. It's fine for Japan but not fine for us ? I want the game ( and all games ) as intended by the devs, even if the difference is small like in ths case. Let's not even talk when they straight up cut content because it's either too violent or sexy.

I don't want some stupid suit messing with it just because they feel it might not be appropriate.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Looking better or not, the point is that censoring is fucking stupid. It's fine for Japan but not fine for us ? I want the game ( and all games ) as intended by the devs, even if it has to do with such small differences. Let's not even talk when they straight up cut content because it's either too violent or sexy.

I don't want some stupid suit messing with it just because they feel it might not be appropriate.
Honestly does it really matter you don't see 13 year old kilds in sexy poses and bikin's?

I understand your point, but it's so hard to care in many regards.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Honestly does it really matter you don't see 13 year old kilds in sexy poses and bikin's?

I understand your point, but it's so hard to care in many regards.

Agnes is like 17, and 20 in the west versions i think. I don't see where you are getting the 13 year old from!

Gotta cover up that 20 year old girl. Yet i can walk down the street and see more skin.

akaoni

Banned
How old is Agnes in the Japanese version? I can't really object too much to these kinds of changes.

She's 14 months in JP and a few weeks in EU.

"I think it looks better" is completely missing the point, just pure mental gymnastics, throw in a few buzzwords too like 'pandering'. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

aravuus

While the censored costume is better, all kinds of censorship are fucking dumb

I understand not caring because it really is an incredibly minor change, and I don't care if I see skin or not, but please don't bring this "oh you want to see little kids half naked" shit into this, cause then you're clearly missing the point some people find censorship stupid

Principate

Saint Titanfall
She's 14 months in JP and a few weeks in EU.

"I think it looks better" is completely missing the point, just pure mental gymnastics, throw in a few buzzwords too like 'pandering'. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Eh there a riduclous amounts of anime style content , that serves exclusive to moe fanservice. It's not about what makes me sleep at night I dislike the direction the industry is going in so I have no issue in western releases reducing that sorry.

Censoring is bad but in regards to what they're censoring in this sorts of games I couldn't care less

daydream

Banned
TBF Edea is about as serious as Tiz since most of at least the first half is her conversations, about her and her former comrades. (and a lot of random uneeded drama).

Honestly the most interesting parts of the game so far are whats wrong with tiz and ringabells amnesia. The rest is fairly boring.

You're right about Edea, she and Tiz cover the reasonable middle ground in terms of character, but..

..only of them has a healthy amount of self-confidence, a backstory that is explored in an interesting way (and allows for some extravagant bosses) and fun interactions with Ringabel (as long as they don't admit their love for each other we're fine). I also think she got the best English voice treatment out of the four.

..while the other is your typical male protagonist, well-behaved, inoffensive and a tad bit boring - standard fare for the genre, I know.

Again, the overarching story and the diversity of locales (dem backgrounds) make up for that.

Like El_Gato, I'm at Ch.3, and I enjoy seeing how everything plays out. Here's an opinion: D's journal is probably be the most interesting component of this game simply because of the possible narratological implications. They just have to capitalize on it.

R.I.P

Chapter 3:
Praline is the first boss who actually survives the battle, right?
Was kinda weird seeing her just run off back home now that I'm used to all the villains just getting murdered :p

Still enjoying the game a lot, can't wait until I get to the big twists though.

ramyeon

How do you get the Freelancer outfit in this version (I mean, the locked ones even if you change job) ?
Upgrading a store in Norende to level 11. Couldn't say which since that's the only one I've yet to unlock.
The latter four are what I'm wondering about.
Ah okay, I'm not too fussed about those since I think the Bunny Suit and Half-Naked Ringabel are kind of gratuitous pandering that I can do without. The Tiz and Edea ones are pretty cool though, it'd be nice if they were at least in there but I haven't seen anything on them yet.

Joqu

Chapter 3:
Praline is the first boss who actually survives the battle, right?
Was kinda weird seeing her just run off back home now that I'm used to all the villains just getting murdered :p

Still enjoying the game a lot, can't wait until I get to the big twists though.

This really bothered me actually. You murder so much people in this game. ._.

aravuus

Just got the
vampire
job, and it would seem like at least one of my predictions concerning the twist will be coming true.
Although not surprising, it's probably what everyone thinks of first when they hear there's a twist. We'll see how right I was!

ZeroX03

Banned
Question: Should I be prioritizing getting the
Vampire
job? As I understand there's
Genome Drain
, would I be missing out? I really want to continue on with the story, but the
dragons
are damn tough.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Vampire
Genome Drain
dragons
are damn tough.

Dunno if it's worth a spoiler tag but
Genome Drain with the Vamp class is essentially the Blue Mage class

aravuus

Yeah I'm worried if I continue along the story I'd miss out on learning skills with it.

It would seem like
most (all?) of the skills are learned from already beaten bosses, so since there's apparently a way to re-fight them, I doubt it's possible to miss any skills.

Tak3n

Banned
Well that Performer Asterix pushes your patience

Go here, then go here, and go here, oh go back to here, then go here........

Just give me the fucking boss fight already!!

Has there been any word on how well the game has been received? Do you think this series could branch out onto other systems?

I've been listening to the soundtrack and I have to say its definitely one of the best i've heard in a while...

aravuus

Well that Performer Asterix pushes your patience

Go here, then go here, and go here, oh go back to here, then go here........

Just give me the fucking boss fight already!!

Oh yeah haha, that was horrible. Not too much of that stuff in the game, thank god.

Vampire
Genome Drain
dragons
are damn tough.

About half of the (non-Nemesis) Genome Abilities can be gotten in Chapter 4 (and most of those can't be gotten again until the very end of the game) but all of those remain available until the very end of Chapter 4 (you'll know when that happens).

It seems that Beelzebub (only the two high level versions), Mammon and Asmodeus each have a
unique genome too (Multi-Target Fire/Ice/Thunder respectively).

Kater

Banned
Has there been any word on how well the game has been received? Do you think this series could branch out onto other systems?

I've been listening to the soundtrack and I have to say its definitely one of the best i've heard in a while...
The reviews were very much in favour of the game but due to low shipments the sales are not too great here in Europe.
I don't think that Square Enix has said something about other platforms, seems like this will very likely be the 3DS exclusive SE JRPG.

Top Bottom