• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Tak3n

Banned
Has there been any word on how well the game has been received? Do you think this series could branch out onto other systems?

I've been listening to the soundtrack and I have to say its definitely one of the best i've heard in a while...

sold poorly in the UK, but that because it just did not get marketed right

a stupid name and a game many would look at and not understand

if they had gone with

Choose from devastating characters 30+

Amazing Outfits

FFWD random fights or turn off completely etc etc

Kater

Banned
I think it was only in Germany and France were Bravely Default charted at a high place.
But, like I said, they probably didn't ship enough copies to retailers.
It's sold out everywhere here because even the big stores only got around 15 - 20 copies at launch day.

Robin64

So I just got this up and started playing, and I've just been given monk and white mage jobs.

Should I just give my one of my guys monk and one of them white mage? Like, is that what's expected here? Or is there any reason to stay as freelancer for a bit?

Peff

So I just got this up and started playing, and I've just been given monk and white mage jobs.

Should I just give my one of my guys monk and one of them white mage? Like, is that what's expected here? Or is there any reason to stay as freelancer for a bit?

Freelancer has some good skills, but it's much, much weaker than most other jobs until much later. Change all characters ASAP, at worst get someone to level 4 to learn the skill that voids dungeon traps.

Jenoss

Banned
I think it was only in Germany and France were Bravely Default charted at a high place.
But, like I said, they probably didn't ship enough copies to retailers.
It's sold out everywhere here because even the big stores only got around 15 - 20 copies at launch day.

Sold out all the week in italy too.
Retailers had 3-6 copies max

Jinko

Well at least you bought the game, and buying it encourages them to publish the sequel for us who really like the game, so thanks!

Well hopefully they give you something better to do than repeat the same thing over and over again in the sequel ;)

Freelancer has some good skills, but it's much, much weaker than most other jobs until much later. Change all characters ASAP, at worst get someone to level 4 to learn the skill that voids dungeon traps.

Keeping one person as a Freelancer so they learn JP Up by Chapter 3 isn't a terrible idea. Well it probably is now, since you can probably Abilink it pretty easily but when I was doing my run no one was providing it.

Keeping one person as a Freelancer so they learn JP Up by Chapter 3 isn't a terrible idea. Well it probably is now, since you can probably Abilink it pretty easily but when I was doing my run no one was providing it.

That's what Abilink does? Holy shit

I just linked with someone and nearly every one of my jobs was filled out. Daaaaamn

Gonna have to resist abusing it

aravuus

Aww yeah, and here come the twists! I
love how chapter 4 was, until the final few minutes, like a perfect ending to a very traditional JRPG.
Here we go!

Well hopefully they give you something better to do than repeat the same thing over and over again in the sequel ;)

Haha yeah, I guess. Good thing the characters are great. How far in are you?

That's what Abilink does? Holy shit

I just linked with someone and nearly every one of my jobs was filled out. Daaaaamn

Gonna have to resist abusing it

Good luck, I caved in fast. The amount of possibilities thanks to someone, can't remember the name, having pretty much all jobs at level 14 is just crazy awesome

aravuus

Geez this is getting more and more confusing lol. Loving the mysterious stuff so much right now, I also have perfect confidence the story will not end up stupidly or anything since we're talking about Steins;Gate's writer here

Soriku

So THIS is what they are changing back in the NA version. It explains reverting back to that lewd box art as well.

Did they say they were changing the costumes back to the originals in the NA version? I find it funny that they raised all the characters' ages by 3 years yet still feel the need to censor the outfits. In which case there's no point in raising their ages.

It's insulting to Yoshida's original vision.

The thighs aren't censored. I think Yoshida's OK.

injurai

Banned
Did they say they were changing the costumes back to the originals in the NA version? I find it funny that they raised all the characters' ages by 3 years yet still feel the need to censor the outfits. In which case there's no point in raising their ages.

Wow really? Well it's probably to fall along a more mean age that reflects that players. The fact that there is some fan service or just aesthetically pleasing design is always a land mine for characters that are young. Probably trying to preemptively mitigate criticism.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
... I also have perfect confidence the story will not end up stupidly or anything since we're talking about Steins;Gate's writer here

Wat. I had no interest in Bravely Default until you said that. Thanks Muntu, I now have *another* game to add to my 3DS backlog :)

aravuus

Wat. I had no interest in Bravely Default until you said that. Thanks Muntu, I now have *another* game to add to my 3DS backlog :)

Haha, I happened to be pretty much like this before too. Well I was interested in the game already due to it being simply fun to play, but I was a bit skeptical if the story would hold up. Then I read Hayashi penned it and immediately got excited lol

Is the full game as good as the demo? I really want to play this, but it's sold out everywhere. I would import from the UK, but the exchange rates are terrible atm. I'd have to pay more than 50€, which is too much for a 3DS game. =(
I'd really like to know how many copies they printed, must have been tiny numbers.

She's 14 months in JP and a few weeks in EU.

"I think it looks better" is completely missing the point, just pure mental gymnastics, throw in a few buzzwords too like 'pandering'. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

*glares*
I see what you did there

Is the full game as good as the demo? I really want to play this, but it's sold out everywhere. I would import from the UK, but the exchange rates are terrible atm. I'd have to pay more than 50€, which is too much for a 3DS game. =(
I'd really like to know how many copies they printed, must have been tiny numbers.

*finds Miiverse profile called 'MoogleWizard' with 0 games played*
:p

aravuus

Vampire castle, then once you have access to it, the bonus dungeon, but that's way near the end.

I actually think I found a better one; the small island northeast from the big tree where
you fight the ranger
. The one with grass, sand and snow. You come across enemies called Rafflesia very frequently, that give quite a lot of exp and jp and are very easy to kill. 2000-8000 exp per fight. Now I just wish I had an exp boost skill or item or something, if there even is one.

I actually think I found a better one; the small island northeast from the big tree where
you fight the ranger
. The one with grass, sand and snow. You come across enemies called Rafflesia very frequently, that give quite a lot of exp and jp and are very easy to kill. 2000-8000 exp per fight. Now I just wish I had an exp boost skill or item or something, if there even is one.

There's both.
The last job to unlock (in Chapter 6) has an Exp up ability and the Growth Egg (the Level 10 Nolende Accessory) doubles Exp and JP but nulls Gil.

Tak3n

Banned

The download is £34.99 @ game (roughly 41 euros)

http://www.game.co.uk/en/bravely-default-218302?attributeName1=Shop By&pageSize=20&provenance=New&categoryIdentifier=29510&attributeValue1=63

*glares*
I see what you did there

*finds Miiverse profile called 'MoogleWizard' with 0 games played*
:p

Oh noes, you caught me! ;-)
I hate that username so much right now lol. Even Amazon is stalking me, see below.

The download is £34.99 @ game (roughly 41 euros)

http://www.game.co.uk/en/bravely-default-218302?attributeName1=Shop By&pageSize=20&provenance=New&categoryIdentifier=29510&attributeValue1=63

Thanks for the tip. I really want the physical copy though.

It's a lot better than the demo. The game is incredible.

Good to hear. I got major FFIX vibes from the demo, only with some actual challenge to the battles.

Edit: And all of a sudden, Amazon has 6 copies in stock! Guess they read my post, ordered!

aravuus

There's both.
The last job to unlock (in Chapter 6) has an Exp up ability and the Growth Egg (the Level 10 Nolende Accessory) doubles Exp and JP but nulls Gil.

Ah, and both are so far away... Just now got the accessory shop to level 8, but even this took over 5 hours with my villagers. By the time I'll get the accessory, I'll probably be level 99 already.

Mechanics wise the demo is much more compressed. The equipment in the demo ends around early Chapter 3 in the game, the jobs are a subset of those available at the end of Chapter 3, and the number of support abilities you can use is the number you have at the end of Chapter 3 as well but your maximum level is more like where you'd be at the beginning of Chapter 2. The job abilities are also compressed since you only get 4 of the 14 (so you get some pretty high level abilities for some of them). Basically it takes a while before you get the same degree of options as you have in the demo. But there's plenty of stuff in the game that's not in the demo (more jobs, more abilities, special moves, more equipment).

The games story is also much more narrative and less Fetch me 20 bear arses / Kill the Giant Rat driven, so that's a definite improvement.

Taruranto

I thought Thief was going to be crap, then I made Tiz one and gave him a bow and now he's raping everything, ahah.

Gridining in this game is hella easy though, I can see myself getting easily overpowered using auto battle + fast forward + browsing as I grind.

aravuus

Gridining in this game is hella easy though, I can see myself getting easily overpowered using auto battle + fast forward + browsing as I grind.

I'm currently grinding, browsing GAF and drinking a beer all at the same time so yeah, it really is very, very easy.

Add the ability to use the right d-pad button to confirm and I can pretty much fully concentrate on reading threads. I've been going a bit overboard with this stuff though, I think - I'm level 79 and only at the beginning of chapter 5.

e: and I fucking love it!

Rad-

I just ordered this + FE: Awakening + SM 3D Land + gray 3DS XL from Amazon.uk for ~230€. Was too good of a deal to pass on. Can't wait to play this.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
Does anyone have any tips on how to fight against the Chapter 2 boss,
Rusalka
? I just keep getting stomped over and over and it's getting pretty frustrating.

magnetic

Oh my lord, I just think I just royally fucked myself.

This might be a game-ending bug, I´ve been searching solution for ten minutes now, but I guess my progress just came to a crashing halt.

Spoiler, just in case:

I just fought the big fish in the engine room of Grandship. Fixed the machines, and now the whole huge ship is flying! Man, that is much more awesome than my SS Funky Francisca. Northern lands, here we come!

So I thought it might be a good idea to take a quick break at the inn before I continue my journey. I assume that I can still visit the shops and inn on the ship itself, so that´s quite handy! I press A, Grandship lands on the water, at which moment IT REVERTS TO THE SS FUNKY FRANCISCA MODEL.

Weird, right? Huh. Now what? Let´s go back to where Grandship used to be.

Except - Grandship is gone now. So where is it? I don´t know. I close the game and boot it up again - back to the SS, no Grandship. I dock at some random piece of land, exit, enter back again - still gone.

So the kick-ass flying ship town I was going to fly gracefully to unknown shores seems to be lost in a game-ending glitch and I am stuck with my dumb little sailing-only boat?

PLEASE HELP ME. I thankfully had the gut instinct to copy some of my saves, and have one that is just two hours before my recent progress, but others who this could happen to might not be so fortunate.

I´ll try some more, but at this point it seems that I simply don´t have the means to continue anymore.

@magnetic

If it's anything like the Final Fantasy games, you could land the airship on water and then take off again with the ship by getting in it and pressing...some button. Probably the same one you used to make it land.

Have you tried taking off again from the same ship?

Just an idea based on older FF games. I haven't got the game yet so I might be saying things that aren't much help/

magnetic

@magnetic

If it's anything like the Final Fantasy games, you could land the airship on water and then take off again with the ship by getting in it and pressing...some button. Probably the same one you used to make it land.

Have you tried taking off again from the same ship?

Just an idea based on older FF games. I haven't got the game yet so I might be saying things that aren't much help/

EDIT: Fixed, thanks guys!

Peff

Does anyone have any tips on how to fight against the Chapter 2 boss,
Rusalka
? I just keep getting stomped over and over and it's getting pretty frustrating.

Use electric spells to hit all the clones at once and if some characters have used the Spell Fencer job for a while just embed his/her weapon with the spell to wreck him once there's only the real boss. If you're in a big pinch you can have someone as a White Mage and use Shell four times with Brave to get some breathing room.

Leezard

Oh my lord, I just think I just royally fucked myself.

This might be a game-ending bug, I´ve been searching solution for ten minutes now, but I guess my progress just came to a crashing halt.

Spoiler, just in case:

I just fought the big fish in the engine room of Grandship. Fixed the machines, and now the whole huge ship is flying! Man, that is much more awesome than my SS Funky Francisca. Northern lands, here we come!

So I thought it might be a good idea to take a quick break at the inn before I continue my journey. I assume that I can still visit the shops and inn on the ship itself, so that´s quite handy! I press A, Grandship lands on the water, at which moment IT REVERTS TO THE SS FUNKY FRANCISCA MODEL.

Weird, right? Huh. Now what? Let´s go back to where Grandship used to be.

Except - Grandship is gone now. So where is it? I don´t know. I close the game and boot it up again - back to the SS, no Grandship. I dock at some random piece of land, exit, enter back again - still gone.

So the kick-ass flying ship town I was going to fly gracefully to unknown shores seems to be lost in a game-ending glitch and I am stuck with my dumb little sailing-only boat?

PLEASE HELP ME. I thankfully had the gut instinct to copy some of my saves, and have one that is just two hours before my recent progress, but others who this could happen to might not be so fortunate.

I´ll try some more, but at this point it seems that I simply don´t have the means to continue anymore.

There is a simple solution, this is not a bug.
Open the touch screen menu, press the Grand Ship Icon.

Top Bottom