• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

magnetic

Oh god, THANKS. I thought I was going to cry myself to sleep tonight! It really looked like a glitch. I was already cursing the playtesters. (Well, upon further inspecition it doesn´t look like a glitch at all, because there´s clearly a transition between those two states, but I must have not payed attention properly and reverting back to the SS just didn´t made any sense to me).

I can guarantee you, I would have never bothered to even check the map menu for this. It´s like looking for your car keys for hours while carrying them in your fist the whole time.

Off we go!

Qurupeke

Almost done... I think I'll leave the final boss for tomorrow...

Airy was actually way harder than I thought! I think I beat her complete form on my 4th try after battling her for like 45 minutes... I tried not to use many elixirs and I didn't use any Megalixir or friend power... Btw, can someone tell me where can I find/buy Megalixirs?

Ah okay, I'm not too fussed about those since I think the Bunny Suit and Half-Naked Ringabel are kind of gratuitous pandering that I can do without. The Tiz and Edea ones are pretty cool though, it'd be nice if they were at least in there but I haven't seen anything on them yet.
Ringabel's speedo is what I want the most. >_>

I also just don't want any content cut at all.

Almost done... I think I'll leave the final boss for tomorrow...

Airy was actually way harder than I thought! I think I beat her complete form on my 4th try after battling her for like 45 minutes... I tried not to use many elixirs and I didn't use any Megalixir or friend power... Btw, can someone tell me where can I find/buy Megalixirs?

You can't buy those in BDFF. You may find some in chests or you can steal them from bosses such as the
Vampire
Asterisk holder. I think the same boss drops one when defeated too. It's probably not different for the new version.

Qurupeke

You can't buy those in BDFF. You may find some in chests or you can steal them from bosses such as the
Vampire
Asterisk holder. I think the same boss drops one when defeated too. It's probably not different for the new version.

Oh... I was stupid to waste one then... :(

daydream

Banned
The (end of Ch. 3 spoiler)
banquet
sidequest was the best one so far, even though the
ninja lady
didn't pose much of a threat.

Ringlock Holmes and I cracked the case simultaneously, it was awesome.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the Job system. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe they should give you a few more points for support abilites? I feel like that would encourage me to switch classes more frequently. Right now, I'm still rolling with my original choices, until I hit the level cap.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Ugh, the jump to level 10 for the jobs is a bit intimidating. I'm in Chapter 2, should I keep with my level 9 classes for the grind or swap them around?

Zornica

Banned
oh gawd... that scene in the 2nd chapter when you visit
the old guy again...
priceless.
agnes'es japanese voice made that scene even better. lol
poor ringabel... maybe next time

ZeroX03

Banned
Is there any way to cast Dispel-all on the party? Trying to get around the Dragon 'Breath' attacks.

Ugh, the jump to level 10 for the jobs is a bit intimidating. I'm in Chapter 2, should I keep with my level 9 classes for the grind or swap them around?

Don't bother with the grind, in later chapters you'll be able to get over that hump really quickly. Better to diversify, have a good pool of abilities to choose from. Helps for later battles with elements/statuses.

Jintor

So I'm wandering around the Villa. When does the game really start opening up? I'm okay to progress along this path and pick up jobs, and it seems like I've got myself four guardians of light or whatever, but job grinding seems a bit slow right now and I don't feel like I know enough to start making great decisions or whatever.

Also, do characters have base stats or whatever that makes them more or less suitable for jobs, or can I just mold them whatever way I want cos they're all templetes?

Is there any way to cast Dispel-all on the party? Trying to get around the Dragon 'Breath' attacks.

Don't bother with the grind, in later chapters you'll be able to get over that hump really quickly. Better to diversify, have a good pool of abilities to choose from. Helps for later battles with elements/statuses.
There's a couple of cheap ways to beat the dragons - you can either use a salve maker and mix a few giants draft (beast liver + dragon fang), or you can do it the super cheap way - 4 ninjas using utsusemi with counter

So I'm wandering around the Villa. When does the game really start opening up? I'm okay to progress along this path and pick up jobs, and it seems like I've got myself four guardians of light or whatever, but job grinding seems a bit slow right now and I don't feel like I know enough to start making great decisions or whatever.

Also, do characters have base stats or whatever that makes them more or less suitable for jobs, or can I just mold them whatever way I want cos they're all templetes?

There's small differences in stats between characters but they're so minor that it doesn't really matter. Use any jobs on them you want

Cerity

It's still early there so I wouldn't be fussed about job grinding at that stage, it's dreadfully slow as well. Job point grinding starts to get easy around ch2 when you start to deal with the mandrakes and mushrooms.

Jintor

It's still early there so I wouldn't be fussed about job grinding at that stage, it's dreadfully slow as well. Job point grinding starts to get easy around ch2 when you start to deal with the mandrakes and mushrooms.

so just keep on path? alrighty

so just keep on path? alrighty

There's a huge jump in pg/exp/jp each chapter* , so its not really worth grinding unless you need a specific ability for some purpose (and even then it's not worth grinding past Job Level 9 until you're about 25% of the way through Chapter 3).

By the end of chapter 4 you're getting a little under 200 jp per fight, whereas you get 8ish at the beginning of the prologue.

Are 4 heroes of light and Final Fantasy V even half as good as Bravely Default ?

I´m absolutely in love with it (still not very far in, around 12 hours and I just started Chapter 2)

Oh boy, Ringabel´s english VA is pretty great.

Are 4 heroes of light and Final Fantasy V even half as good as Bravely Default ?

I´m absolutely in love with it (still not very far in, around 12 hours and I just started Chapter 2)

Final Fantasy V is pretty similar mechanically, the story is significantly different though. .

4 Heroes of Light is to Final Fantasy III as Bravely Default is to Final Fantasy V , roughly speaking.

Anyone screencap Miiverse shots from the "secret" video? If you've been around GAF you should know what I'm talking about, I don't think it's much of a secret! lol

So I'm at the end of Chapter 4 and trying to grind some cash
to fill out my D's Journal as much as possible before going into the pillar of light.
I'm in the Vampire Castle, and the pg is pretty good but the Cerberus really cramp my style, they
are heavily resistant to physical attacks, counter physical attacks, relatively fast and attack the entire party with hell fire for pretty masssive damage. And there's no real way to regain MP efficiently since it's a long walk back to anywhere you can heal relatively cheaply. I've tried Aspir but Cerberus only give ~7 MP and Blizzara costs ~68. Is there something I'm overlooking (like a physical attack that paralyzes , sleeps or stops them or a defense ignoring physical ice attack)
or am I better of farming pg in Everlast Tower?

So I'm at the end of Chapter 4 and trying to grind some cash
to fill out my D's Journal as much as possible before going into the pillar of light.
I'm in the Vampire Castle, and the pg is pretty good but the Cerberus really cramp my style, they
are heavily resistant to physical attacks, counter physical attacks, relatively fast and attack the entire party with hell fire for pretty masssive damage. And there's no real way to regain MP efficiently since it's a long walk back to anywhere you can heal relatively cheaply. I've tried Aspir but Cerberus only give ~7 MP and Blizzara costs ~68. Is there something I'm overlooking (like a physical attack that paralyzes , sleeps or stops them or a defense ignoring physical ice attack)
or am I better of farming pg in Everlast Tower?

Are you using Crescent Moon rather than normal physical attacks? If you use normal attacks then they'll counter every time, but if you use Crescent Moon then they'll only counter when on their own.

Also just maxed all jobs, so if anyone wants to get all the skills then I can still abilink 3 people

nasos_333

I cant wait for this game

It is amazing how 3DS has got games like Zelda LBW that has managed to get me more emotionaly involved than all games i have played since the old Zelda titles combined. A true epic.

Bravely Default seems to bring back the exitement i felt when i first played FF7 and FF9, such exiting times

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Does anyone have any tips on how to fight against the Chapter 2 boss,
Rusalka
? I just keep getting stomped over and over and it's getting pretty frustrating.
I dealt with boss rather easily, for the following simple reason:
Rusalka is pretty harmless, until it spawns multiple selves - the clones have less HP, but when in bunch they can overwhelm your party. You need to concentrate your fire on the original, to prevent it from further spawns. Now, herein lies the trick, as it is rather easy to lose track of who the original Rusalka is: I used my Freelancer's Examine ability - it gives you the HP, among other things, of the target. So, as long as you have a general idea which one of the bunch the original is, you attack the suspects one by one, and take note which attack dealt damage to the original (made possible by the Examine effect). Voila, original located.

Leezard

I dealt with boss rather easily, for the following simple reason:
Rusalka is pretty harmless, until it spawns multiple selves - the clones have less HP, but when in bunch they can overwhelm your party. You need to concentrate your fire on the original, to prevent it from further spawns. Now, herein lies the trick, as it is rather easy to lose track of who the original Rusalka is: I used my Freelancer's Examine ability - it gives you the HP, among other things, of the target. So, as long as you have a general idea which one of the bunch the original is, you attack the suspects one by one, and take note which attack dealt damage to the original (made possible by the Examine effect). Voila, original located.
There is an even simpler way:
When you press left on the nub to check their HP, you will notice what position the original is in. If the original is in 3rd, it will be the third target outside the hp check as well. It is always in the same position when you check HP as when you do not check HP.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
There is an even simpler way:
When you press left on the nub to check their HP, you will notice what position the original is in. If the original is in 3rd, it will be the third target outside the hp check as well. It is always in the same position when you check HP as when you do not check HP.
Good observation!

Danj

Pissed off that I bought a download code of this along with some other download 3DS games off the GAME website and they still haven't sent me the code.

Qurupeke

The end!

The final boss was actually easier than Airy. ._. Now... let's see what left to do... Norende is almost complete.Also, I guess I got the true ending. Can I trigger the other ending too? Oh and the final boss music... Strong Shingeki no Kyojin vibes. So good.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Is it easy to miss the "best" ending?

I just reached Chapter 3 and probably don't have to worry about it yet. But if there are certain choices to be made I'd like to know in which chapter they occur, so I can turn autosave off.

kiryogi

Banned
The end!

The final boss was actually easier than Airy. ._. Now... let's see what left to do... Norende is almost complete.Also, I guess I got the true ending. Can I trigger the other ending too? Oh and the final boss music... Strong Shingeki no Kyojin vibes. So good.

Even the normal battle theme comes off so Guren like XD

I cant wait for this game

It is amazing how 3DS has got games like Zelda LBW that has managed to get me more emotionaly involved than all games i have played since the old Zelda titles combined. A true epic.

Bravely Default seems to bring back the exitement i felt when i first played FF7 and FF9, such exiting times

I literally have no nostalgia for any oldschool JRPGs, my first one was Tales of Symphonia on the GameCube (aside from Pokemon) and I´m enjoying the hell out of it.

The soundtrack and the ability to turn random encounters off are godsends.

Seriously, more JRPGs should let you do that !

The end!

Of course... Revo composed for this game first before Kyojin OPs

Damn, the atmosphere in this game can be so dark ! So much drama and psycho characters. I don't remember any FF having that amount of twisted stuff and melodrama. I like it, so over the top and sick !

Jinko

Oh god, THANKS. I thought I was going to cry myself to sleep tonight! It really looked like a glitch. I was already cursing the playtesters. (Well, upon further inspecition it doesn´t look like a glitch at all, because there´s clearly a transition between those two states, but I must have not payed attention properly and reverting back to the SS just didn´t made any sense to me).

When you first get the airship it explains that you can board the airship at any time by selecting the airship icon on the touch screen :S

You can also enter the airship by pressing it a second time.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Urgh Chapter 5 made we want to have a break from playing this game too grindy and the twist is quite crappy,
Really, do you really have to fight slightly buffed up versions of the 4 guardians for the time travel twist. This is already a long ass game there no need to extend it with pointless filler crap.
I derive my enjoyment from this game figuring out tactics to fight the reasonably challenging boss, the the fairly underwhelming story and one dimensional characters. I'd take one new boss over 4 recycled crap everyday of the week.

Are you using Crescent Moon rather than normal physical attacks? If you use normal attacks then they'll counter every time, but if you use Crescent Moon then they'll only counter when on their own.

Also just maxed all jobs, so if anyone wants to get all the skills then I can still abilink 3 people

Yeah, I'm using Crescent Moon, but their defenses mean I don't do enough damage to kill them or if I'm *really* unlucky a couple of the 4 crescent moons I unleash both crit on one and kill it then causing the last hit to trigger a counter.

Seems like my major problem is that half my party are in mage classes and can't get in on the crescent moon fun.

Taruranto

Tiz with a bow destroyed
one of Orthos' heads
in one turn, lol.

Unlocked Mystic Knight and the Time Mage. The first one seems like it is going to be pretty broken, but dunno about the utily of the second. We'll see.

Kater

Banned
Tiz with a bow destroyed
one of Orthos' heads
in one turn, lol.

Unlocked Mystic Knight and the Time Mage. The first one seems like it is going to be pretty broken, but dunno about the utily of the second. We'll see.
Time Mage is the secondary job of my White Mage Agnes and it works out rather well in battle.
Haste on Thief, Slow on Enemy, Thief does Godspeed Strike and bam, at least 50% more damage than before.

Time Mage is the secondary job of my White Mage Agnes and it works out rather well in battle.
Haste on Thief, Slow on Enemy, Thief does Godspeed Strike and bam, at least 50% more damage than before.

It makes a decent second on a Black Mage too early on, since it gets Earth and Non-elemental damage as well.

Shame that Arcana is so reliant on synergy or it'd be a good second for an Arcanist as well.

Jacobbles

What is the best class for physical attackers? Just learned Dual-Wield and not sure which class would benefit the most from it to be honest
I just hit chapter 5 and I still don't know what long-term party setup I'm gonna use

Top Bottom