• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

been playing this since the UK release love the game it's like a brand new ff9 wish more rpgs were like this. please feel free to add me 3866 9215 4473

added a few ppl from the 2nd post do I need to pm them for them to add me for the game to recognise them as friends? never added anyone to my 3ds friend list lol :-(

also is there a good way to earn money in game? got the merchant job a few hours ago but no idea if there's much point to levelling it up lol

Labadal

I've had the game on (and in sleep mode) for 40 hours straight. Will this hurt my system? I usually never have my system in sleep mode other some times in Fire Emblem.

Firebrand

Been playing the demo some more and I understand the combat system now, might wanna pick up the full version sooner than later.

However... I don't like the concept of "time freezing", nor do I plan on using any of the Streetpass or Internet features unless I have to. Can I still get a lot out of this game without using those features, or is stuff like restoring the village going to take too long for the stuff there to be useful?

Labadal

Been playing the demo some more and I understand the combat system now, might wanna pick up the full version sooner than later.

However... I don't like the concept of "time freezing", nor do I plan on using any of the Streetpass or Internet features unless I have to. Can I still get a lot out of this game without using those features, or is stuff like restoring the village going to take too long for the stuff there to be useful?
I haven't used the time freeze and don't plan to. The village can be rebuilt as you play. It gives you better options in what items you can buy and special move enhancements.

Cerity

I've had the game on (and in sleep mode) for 40 hours straight. Will this hurt my system? I usually never have my system in sleep mode other some times in Fire Emblem.

The only time my 3ds goes off if I think something is playing up, or it runs out of charge. It's been in sleep mode the large majority of its life.

You don't need to use the SP/time freeze, but streetpassing is pretty key, as rebuilding the village is all sorts of useful - some of the best equips and you can buy items/equipment from your village before bosses. Though even if you can't streetpass, the game lets you net-invite "friends". You still get villagers but you're limited to 3-5 a day.

Firebrand

You don't need to use the SP/time freeze, but streetpassing is pretty key, as rebuilding the village is all sorts of useful - some of the best equips and you can buy items/equipment from your village before bosses. Though even if you can't streetpass, the game lets you net-invite "friends". You still get villagers but you're limited to 3-5 a day.
Hmm, okay, thanks. Maybe just adding a few random people from GAF etc is enough to accelerate the thing so I can restore it at a rate where the services provided are useful?

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
I almost missed the first sidequest in Chapter 3.

After talking to Datz I thought the sidequest would continue later on, since there wasn't any blue marker on the map and I didn't see a ship around the harbor.

Fortunately, when heading back to the Grand Ship to look for spells I may have missed to buy, I coincidentally discovered the fog area.

Also, somewhat story related:

Something's up with Airy, I don't trust her at all!
She gets very little exposition and the way she pushes Agnès to awaken the crystals seems a little suspicious. I suspect her to have own interests in awakening those crystals that probably ain't for the world's sake.
Granted, if I didn't know about a plot twist I probably wouldn't give it a second thought.

Labadal

Hmm, okay, thanks. Maybe just adding a few random people from GAF etc is enough to accelerate the thing so I can restore it at a rate where the services provided are useful?
All you have to do is update data from the travelling merchant. People will be added without you having to leave your house. Once you get the villagers, delete the guests.

daydream

Banned

You can summon friends that you added and use Ablink, but you won't get any villagers out of it. As Labadal pointed out, just use "Update data" to get ~3 new villagers every 24h. You can summon those "Guests" as well and they're usually Japanese players with pretty good damage numbers.

Labadal

A BUG WARNING

This is if you want to add friends for Bravely Default. I wondered why no friends would register in the game. Turns out I had to delete my entire friends list because I kept getting error messages when trying to add friends to the game. After deleting everyone I added in this thread, I am slowly re-registering friends and it works.

I THINK that this bug is possible if someone on your friends list plays the game before you. I only have 35 more people to re-register (lol).

Vitanimus

So, a question about availability about side quests, specifically one in Chapter 3.
It's the first side quest in chapter 3 after you speak to Datz about a mysterious ship, but no blue marker appeared afterwards and I forgot about it as the story went on. I am still in chapter 3, but my question is have I locked myself out of a job side quest? I'll be bummed out if I have.

Kouriozan

Finished rebuilding Norende, with 40 villagers the last day, my 3DS was constantly in sleep mode when I wasn't playing.
Now I'm at the very start of Chapter 6, and I did every sidequest in Chapter 5, so this will be fun if you know what it mean, haha x)
Oh well, I can test some combo that way.

KeRaSh

Played for about 4.5 hours so far and I'm loving it.
I've tried to fight a monster that appeared in the village but even though I was lv 10 as was recommended, I got my ass licked quite significantly. I was doing semi fine until the guy spat out 700+ DMG acid. My characters have around 400-500 HP... What the hell? How do these recommended levels actually work?

Leezard

Played for about 4.5 hours so far and I'm loving it.
I've tried to fight a monster that appeared in the village but even though I was lv 10 as was recommended, I got my ass licked quite significantly. I was doing semi fine until the guy spat out 700+ DMG acid. My characters have around 400-500 HP... What the hell? How do these recommended levels actually work?

Yeah, the recommended levels are kinda bull. You should be fine if you are a couple of levels higher.

Kouriozan

I think I have a problem about those AR movies, they are zoomed in way too close, am I the only one?
Moving my 3DS around don't affect the zoom level.

Edit : nevermind, you need to put the cards far from your 3DS (50+cm) when you scan it.
Btw that Tiz movie is interesting to watch, maybe a late game spoiler.

Leezard

So, a question about availability about side quests, specifically one in Chapter 3.
It's the first side quest in chapter 3 after you speak to Datz about a mysterious ship, but no blue marker appeared afterwards and I forgot about it as the story went on. I am still in chapter 3, but my question is have I locked myself out of a job side quest? I'll be bummed out if I have.

No, just
sail around the Grand ship area, find some fog

Akito

2 dragons down but man, I really need to give some thought to job/ability combination, brute force so far worked but the fights were going on for way too long.

Kouriozan

2 dragons down but man, I really need to give some thought to job/ability combination, brute force so far worked but the fights were going on for way too long.
You're totally right, I can give you one cheap tactic if you want.
SPOILER, only read if you want to defeat the dragons the easy way!

Just level up your Ninja job to get Utsusemi, and then spam it everytime you need to!
You can add that passive to counter attack/raise ATK/M.ATK when you dodge, or the Red Mage passive to increase your BP after a successful dodge.

Akito

You're totally right, I can give you one cheap tactic if you want.
SPOILER, only read if you want to defeat the dragons the easy way!

Just level up your Ninja job to get Utsusemi, and then spam it everytime you need to!
You can add that passive to counter attack/raise ATK/M.ATK when you dodge, or the Red Mage passive to increase your BP after a successful dodge.
The physical attack does not really pose a problem, it's the breath attack that often kills one or two of my characters. I have to find a way to counter the element weakness attack, would dispel work?

Kouriozan

The physical attack does not really pose a problem, it's the breath attack that often kills one or two of my characters. I have to find a way to counter the element weakness attack, would dispel work?
Breath attacks are physical, yes I know, it's weird.

aravuus

I'm confused. (massive final chapter spoilers)
I thought the gang already realized something's wrong with Airy, why are they all so shocked to see her backstab them? Weird. Anyway, saw this coming. We'll see if the story still manages to surprise.

Leezard

It is possible to use a salve maker to combine Monster Fiber + elemental ingredient (phlogiston etc) to make a single target immune to an element as well. I used this to counteract the element weakness attack.

Akito

It is possible to use a salve maker to combine Monster Fiber + elemental ingredient (phlogiston etc) to make a single target immune to an element as well. I used this to counteract the element weakness attack.
I'm using the spiritmaster's spiritward and it's working fine, still a little slow because I only have one damage dealer but it's quite foolproof and I don't have to reorganize my characters too much. Only 2 more left.

Akito

Welp, I defeated all 6 dragons only to get my ass kicked by the first random enemies in the castle lol
Maybe I should have went on with the story after all.

Welp, I defeated all 6 dragons only to get my ass kicked by the first random enemies in the castle lol

You may find it helpful to turn off encounters and grab all the loot in the castle, there's a lot of really good stuff that could help. Also Cerberus are by far the hardest thing in the castle apart from the boss, a 3 pack of them still regularly woops me and I'm just about to enter Chapter 5.

It's the 2nd last thing in Chapter 3 , if you do everything in the order it becomes available.

It's also the last job in Chapter 3 and the last Job from the demo you get, given the same assumptions.

Damn. I'm near the beginning of 2

The two jobs I'm liking the most so far are spell fencer and thief. Ever since I got the bow from norende Ringabel has been melting everything. I think I'm gonna get valkyrie soon so I'll switch Tiz to that. He's been a monk since I unlocked it

The latter chapters are fucking terrible, i'm not sure if i want to keep playing.

Well, people made them looks like they are terrible, but I think
they brought up some interesting background things. Those are also a good way to get jobs up and great weapons.

This makes me wonder if this sidequest is supposed to be endgame content or something. I tried it the moment I could in chapter 4, but got my ass kicked. Now I'm some ways into chapter 5, and I'm still getting my ass kicked. None of the other sidequests have posed this much of a problem. When would be the best time to tackle this?

Maybe my team is just terrible though. I certainly scratched my head when I got the popup about
having done 9999 damage
, while most of my characters only hit for 700 per hit |:

Top Bottom