• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

The latter chapters are fucking terrible, i'm not sure if i want to keep playing.

Yeah, I would have liked a shorter game without the latter chapters. It would have made a better experience. From a game design perspective, I really don't understand how it could have seem a good idea to add them...

zoukka

A BUG WARNING

This is if you want to add friends for Bravely Default. I wondered why no friends would register in the game. Turns out I had to delete my entire friends list because I kept getting error messages when trying to add friends to the game. After deleting everyone I added in this thread, I am slowly re-registering friends and it works.

I THINK that this bug is possible if someone on your friends list plays the game before you. I only have 35 more people to re-register (lol).

Wow I would toss my 3DS to the nearest river if that happened to me.

Yeah, I would have liked a shorter game without the latter chapters. It would have made a better experience. From a game design perspective, I really don't understand how it could have seem a good idea to add them...

Does it really kill the game or is it just the usual JPRG filler?

I'm a filthy American(why NoA ;-; ) so I don't have the game yet, but I'm curious.

Leezard

I think Chapter 5 is the absolute low point. Chapter 6 and 7 are definitely better as of yet, mostly due to the sidequests in 7 though. I rather enjoy the backstory we get from the sidequests.

I don't think it kills the game (since those chapters add some things) but the game is really great up to that point and then it really feels like the decided to make it longer using filler stuff...The fact that so much filler occurs at the end is really frustrating (while you had great pacing and great variety up to this point)

JimPanzer

chapter 6 beginning spoilers:
really, they making me do all this a 3rd time? game was a GOTY contender for me, but this sucks

Chapter 5, what the hell is up with these
fucking birds that spam Aero in front of Florem

I'm so damn underleveled ;_;

All of them. The second half of this is some of the laziest crap I've ever seen in a game and really drags the rest of the game down. Had to force myself to finish it

That's a shame :/ I thought it was interesting from a narrative perspective but it's tedious

Peff

I don't think it's intentional filler, rather than the writer getting cute, but obviously it pads the game up the wazoo. Perhaps they should have aimed for a simultaneous western release, because two months feels like negativity will plateau just in time for the US release. It's too bad, because the first half is fantastic, but yeeaaahhh...

Oxx

There's no real reason for me to continue to collect streetpasses now I have finished the rebuild. Other than for curiosity.

kiryogi

Banned
The thing is . . . for those of you that read/watched Steins;Gate. This is sort of the Writer's MO.
This is basically just like when Okabe did all those time loops.
I think it's really more the writer than actual design, but it slipped by to say the least. It looks good on paper, but to actually play it out. . . XD

I'm a filthy American(why NoA ;-; ) so I don't have the game yet, but I'm curious.

The first 4 chapters were good and it was probably my favourite game this year at that point, but from chapter 5 until the end the game was a tedious chore to play and drags the game down as a whole.

I would say it's a bit more than just being "filler" though. It's just downright lazy

Quick question: I'm on chapter 2 and my characters are lvl32, and nothing can touch me- not even bosses. Am I over levelled? Should I turn exp off for a while or was everyone else's experience like mine?

Ironjam

chapter 6 beginning spoilers:
really, they making me do all this a 3rd time? game was a GOTY contender for me, but this sucks

About ch. 5-6 sidequests:
I dont think you have to bother with chapter 5-6 sidequests if you dont want to level up jobs. The only ones worth doing are the last 2 jobs (vampire + conjurer) because you get a lot of background info on the characters, the world and the story.

Soriku

The thing is . . . for those of you that read/watched Steins;Gate. This is sort of the Writer's MO.
This is basically just like when Okabe did all those time loops.
I think it's really more the writer than actual design, but it slipped by to say the least. It looks good on paper, but to actually play it out. . . XD

lol yeah.

Are you just required
to fight a few same bosses again or go through a dungeon again and again? Do they shake it up in any way? Is there at least good enough story breaks at that point for it not to get too tedious?
At least with Steins;Gate
the beginning and conclusion are the same, but the middle is generally different, going by the anime anyway.

The first 4 chapters were good and it was probably my favourite game this year at that point, but from chapter 5 until the end the game was a tedious chore to play and drags the game down as a whole.

I would say it's a bit more than just being "filler" though. It's just downright lazy
Jeez, I didn't even like the earlier chapters. I wonder how I would have felt about the later ones.

ZeroX03

Banned
Not yet!
Just a little longer!
More! Keep going!
Still not enough!
You can do this!
Stop! That's it!
Anyone else sick of hearing this?

I can see why people find chapters 4-5 a lowpoint and I'd agree, but it does pick up relatively quickly again. I love all the backstory and whatnot. Despite that, I would definitely recommend this to any RPG fan, this is FF before it became riddled with bad anime plots and CG cutscenes out the ass. The gameplay is fantastic and the job system is as well. Supporting this game will hopefully send a message to SE.

urfe

Interesting seeing people react to the latter half of the game.

I had a love hate relationship with if, and felt insulted when (chapter 6 or 7 spoiler, I forget)
you get the key for all the treasures

In hindsight though, I like it. Especially how (Chapter... 5 spoiler?)
you face harder versions of each job class.
the game has some of the best battle mechanics ever

aravuus

Love/hate relationship towards them here too. Really liked what they did with it story-wise and I love stuff like
the Airy's wings thing, but doing the same thing over and over again for additional four times is just dumb. At least every chapter only took like an hour since you could just turn random encounters off.

But yeah, final chapter, probably close to the end. Then I'll have to concentrate on uni stuff again oh no

Ironjam

lol yeah.

Are you just required
to fight a few same bosses again or go through a dungeon again and again? Do they shake it up in any way? Is there at least good enough story breaks at that point for it not to get too tedious?
the beginning and conclusion are the same, but the middle is generally different, going by the anime anyway.

Yea they tried to shake it up a bit.

Ch 5-6:
You have to awaken the crystals again, but there are a lot of story segments + the last job. The sidequests are the same tho, so that can get repetitive.

Ch 7-8:
No more to the story, but they mixed up the side quests by combining the bosses instead of battling them 1 by 1. Adds some background to those characters + its a good challenge.

Soriku

Yea they tried to shake it up a bit.

Ch 5-6:
You have to awaken the crystals again, but there are a lot of story segments + the last job. The sidequests are the same tho, so that can get repetitive.

Ch 7-8:
No more to the story, but they mixed up the side quests by combining the bosses instead of battling them 1 by 1. Adds some background to those characters + its a good challenge.

Hmm...doesn't sound too bad I guess.

Iryx

lol yeah.

Are you just required

You are required to fight the four crystal guardians again, but you have shortcuts in most of the temples and then there are 15 or so optional bossfights that reappears whenever you get to a new chapter. Story events happens at the beginning and end of chapter 5, and then troughout chapter 6, and basically nothing at all in chapter 7 and 8 until the final boss.

Soriku

You are required to fight the four crystal guardians again, but you have shortcuts in most of the temples and then there are 15 or so optional bossfights that reappears whenever you get to a new chapter. Story events happens at the beginning and end of chapter 5, and then troughout chapter 6, and basically nothing at all in chapter 7 and 8 until the final boss.

That's a lot of optional bosses. Is there any point in fighting them again after you beat them once besides leveling up and grinding jobs?

Ironjam

That's a lot of optional bosses. Is there any point in fighting them again after you beat them once besides leveling up and grinding jobs?

No point fighting them in ch 5-6 if you dont want to level up jobs (they give 0 XP and 999 JP btw). Ch 7-8 are better since there are only around 5-7 sidequests, but if you dont want JPs or dont want to fight many bosses at once then you can skip these a well.

Does the Hawkeye ability make it more likely that all the hits from normal attacks connect? It seems like it but I'm not completely sure if that's what's happening

Kenka

That game.

g7IsB.gif

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Finally done with chapter 5-8. What a drag, i don't remember being this bored with a game in ages. It's even worse because i was loving the game up to that point, until i realized what they were going for.

I even put the game on easy at that point so it would end faster. And i started playing other games while pushing buttons on the 3DS on the side. It made the Wind Waker trifoce quest look like the most epic and fun adventure ever.

Jintor

Really sucks to hear these reports that chapter 5 onwards blow. So far I've been meandering through having a fucking blast, but only midway through chapter 1 (following the side-quest atm).

So weird to have a JRPG where I feel kinda threatened by bosses but not to the point of immediate total party wipe

I just sent ThePeoplesBureau a PM to add me to the Friend List in the first post.
So if you see a Blood Boal invite from Spain, please add me.

My Friend Code: 4313-1322-1227

BTW I'm in the beggining of chapter 3 (just got the pirate job), and about 46 hours played (lvl 54)
This game man...is the best thing that happened to the jrpg genre in a loooong time. CAN'T...STOP...GRINDING.

Grampasso

Serious/ridiculous question.
For reasons that I can't understand has been a while since enemies and bosses alike have started to hate Tiz a lot. He gets targeted much much much more than all the other party members and it's completely nonsense. He's Ranger and lately he has been dying a lot for this reason, often in the same turn of the boss/enemies deadth so that he wouldn't get any exp. He's trailing behind the others now, 7k exp less. I know this is actually a non-issue but I wonder if anybody else has experienced something similar or is it just bad luck? Is there an in-game mechanic justifying such a behavior? Already checked the abilities and there's apparently nothing that would bring more aggro to him.

Cerity

I think I read that the game has it's own aggro mechanics, so it could be that. Not 100% sure but just try changing jobs/equips and see what happens

aravuus

What the hell, can't use the three sp drinks I have stored? It says "sp max 3" yet right above that, "current sp drinks 0". For fuck's sake.

e: the final boss is fairly easy at my levels without sp drinks but this is just stupid

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
What the hell, can't use the three sp drinks I have stored? It says "sp max 3" yet right above that, "current sp drinks 0". For fuck's sake.

I think i know what the problem is...

You use them by pressing START. Happened to me too that one time i wanted to use it, and i was all like, why isn't this working!

Or maybe you can't use them during the final boss. But i'm not there yet.

aravuus

I think i know what the problem is...

You use them by pressing START. Happened to me too that one time i wanted to use it, and i was all like, why isn't this working!

Or maybe you can't use them during the final boss. But i'm not there yet.

Really? Oh lol. Oh well, the boss went down just a couple of seconds ago so yeah, I really didn't need the drinks after all. Just thought it would have been fun to completely destroy it in a turn or two.

Ok, fuck this asshole. I want to get one of the last jobs
Vampire
and the
6 dragons you need to beat are just beating me up to a pulp. Every time they use that eye ability, I'm basically fucked unless I use dispel on all my party members.

what to do, GAF

I'm at level 61 and playing on normal btw

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Finally done with chapter 5-8. What a drag, i don't remember being this bored with a game in ages. It's even worse because i was loving the game up to that point, until i realized what they were going for.

I even put the game on easy at that point so it would end faster. And i started playing other games while pushing buttons on the 3DS on the side. It made the Wind Waker trifoce quest look like the most epic and fun adventure ever.

Holy shit there's 8 chapters, I was under the impression there was six and had pretty much taken a break at 5 because it was boring me to tears.... lawd why just why did they need to lengthen the game with filler crap. No wonder barely anyone finished it in Japan.

JimPanzer

Vampire
and the
6 dragons you need to beat are just beating me up to a pulp. Every time they use that eye ability, I'm basically fucked unless I use dispel on all my party members.

what to do, GAF

get ninja side job with utusemi for everyone and red mage's turn tables support ability. always have utusemi active on everyone. you get those skills pretty early in the respective jobs.

Iryx

Vampire
and the

what to do, GAF

I'm at level 61 and playing on normal btw

Option 1: Spiritmaster and buff your elemental defense whenever they lower it.

Option 2: Ninja with Utusmei combo + Red Mage passives that give bonuses when dodging, the breath is a physical move.

get ninja side job with utusemi for everyone and red mage's turn tables support ability. always have utusemi active on everyone. you get those skills pretty early in the respective jobs.

Option 1: Spiritmaster and buff your elemental defense whenever they lower it.

Option 2: Ninja with Utusmei combo + Red Mage passives that give bonuses when dodging, the breath is a physical move.

You guys are lifesavers. Will try this in a sec.

Taruranto

I just sent ThePeoplesBureau a PM to add me to the Friend List in the first post.
So if you see a Blood Boal invite from Spain, please add me.

My Friend Code: 4313-1322-1227

BTW I'm in the beggining of chapter 3 (just got the pirate job), and about 46 hours played (lvl 54)
This game man...is the best thing that happened to the jrpg genre in a loooong time. CAN'T...STOP...GRINDING.

just got the game heres my friend code
5429-8198-9417
i'll start adding as well

Added.

Just cleared the second chapter, the
Pirate Town
was a pleasant surprise.

I don't play RPG's but Ni No Kunu was so awesome that I'm starting to play them. Received Bravely Default yesterday and love the vibe but the sounds are so damn low...can't hardly hear the music. Is there anyway to turn up the volume?

Might as well ask the next question...are there other RPG's that are worth playing on 3DS and are not that complex ( I already own Fire Emblem )

Top Bottom