• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

How the hell do you use SP drinks anyway?

Also how do you get more specials?

Upgrade the special store in the bottom right of Norende. Each weapon gets 3. Go for the special parts in the NW and W of Norende too.

The drinks let you use bravely second. Press start/select in battle and you get a free move that doesn't consume BP or MP. Actually, I'm not sure about MP, definitely not BP though

KeRaSh

I'm at the End of Chapter 4 I think. I just cheesed my way through the
dragon
fights for the
Vampire
sub quest by using the
Red Mage / Ninja Utsusemi -> gain BP from evading attacks
combo.

Agnes is my dedicated healer with most mage jobs above Lv 10.
Tiz and Ringabel are rocking
Dual Wield Ninjas with some Ranger support abilities for max damage
Edea is exploiting the
Pirate / Swordmaster
combo with 0 MP
Double Damage
due to
Free Lunch

I feel like playing with maxed out jobs is a waste of JP but I pretty much got my job combinations nailed down for the moment. Are there any reasons why I should definitely level a specific job beside the ones I'm currently playing as?

boatie

Neo Member
This game is the Final Fantasy game I've been waiting for since after FFIX. It's really more like an updated SNES FF, but it's so good.

Labadal

The end fight in Grapp Keep. OH. MY. GOD. I was taught humility. Most challenging fight so far.

I was able to win on my third try, but damn, that was hard. I felt like there was a minor difficulty spike in general in that dungeon. Had to grind a level or two, then turn off encounters on my way to the boss.

Had enough of the monk class for now and turned Ringabel into an axe wielding beast. The design of his new job is great!

Just finished it
(Both ends, got true end first)
and besides
how annoying getting the true end was
the game was AMAZING!

I absolutely loved the
plot twists at the end.
I am SO EXCITED for bravely second now! even more excited than i was for this game! Naotaka Hayashi delivered what i wanted and then some with this game's story imo and gameplay was super addicting and fun

True Ending spoilers. Need to know if I can get back to the world map at some point...

I'm definitely on the true ending path right now, after doing the non-true ending previously. So I'm at the point on the Grandship where you have to fight Airy twice in a row. I'm having a bit of a tough time against her second form, where she recovers her HP. Kills me good when she inflicts that 'Weak to Magic' status ailment thing on me, then unleashes something like Flare.

I can't return to the world map to go grinding right now. I'll be able to once I defeat her on the ship, though, right? Just gotta figure out how to kill her first. I assume she's stronger than on the alt ending path, because I don't remember having this much trouble against her.

I realized only one of the BDFtS Achievements seems to involve buying products other than a physical copy of the game. It would be better if they removed that completely, but I guess it's still better than last year's shameful list.

Beat the game now. Major spoilers abound, most likely.

Saw the Evil One coming from a mile away, but it was cool still.

Personally I kind of wish they made Chapters 5-8 a single chapter.

From a logical viewpoint, I couldn't think of a reason for Chapter 6 and beyond to exist, except to drive home the cycle and the existence of parallel worlds, which I'm sure they could have done in some other manner.

Like maybe you could visit other parallel worlds by travelling through the Holy Pillar and Grand Chasm.

The "true" ending was great, but the requirement was totally silly. I have to applaud Agnes and co. for not giving up despite the Rite of Awakening failing many times, but they didn't give the player any good reason to continue.

Also, the Bravely Second trailer was awesome; great use of the gyro function too.

I've been trying to get onto that Hall of Fame by clearing the game without random encounters. Just beat Chapter 4, and my party's around level 47. I decided to try fighting Azmodeus and after a long grueling fight that lasted an hour I finally managed to beat him and jumped 5 levels.

I realized that unlike most other RPGs, the bosses in this game don't really do the "my life is below 30% I'm going to use my most powerful attacks now" thing.

KeRaSh

I've been trying to get onto that Hall of Fame by clearing the game without random encounters. Just beat Chapter 4, and my party's around level 47. I decided to try fighting Azmodeus and after a long grueling fight that lasted an hour I finally managed to beat him and jumped 5 levels.

I realized that unlike most other RPGs, the bosses in this game don't really do the "my life is below 30% I'm going to use my most powerful attacks now" thing.

How is that possible? Are there enough forced encounters to keep up with bosses? I've wiped the floor with most bosses on normal since I grind every now and then but I feel like they would pose quite a challenge otherwise, let alone without any random encounters at all.

How is that possible? Are there enough forced encounters to keep up with bosses? I've wiped the floor with most bosses on normal since I grind every now and then but I feel like they would pose quite a challenge otherwise, let alone without any random encounters at all.

Easy + Growth Egg asap + Elixir-holding Nemesis for cash + Nemesis fights for experience + doing all optional fights should make it possible.

I've only been playing on Easy, and I cheated a little by using a Gungnir (achievement reward for having a level 99 character I imported from the previous game into another save file onto the same cartridge). Hold it, that's not going to lock me out of the Hall of Fame, is it...

it's a "traditional" FF-style RPG, it's almost guaranteed that you can do that

I, personally, look forward to the speedruns for this game

edit: particularly with the Brave/Default system allowing you to spam attacks and clean up bosses, that extra -3 turns can't hurt you when they're dead

Grabbed this up for a cheap price, had to have it for the BD collection :)

cJzARSN.jpg

Waiting for this to arrive from Amazon. I decided to check out the demo. Hard mode actually seems hard, which is nice. I was getting my ass completely handed to me until I scrounged together some money to buy proper armour. Is there any particular end goal to the demo, aside from exploring the various caves?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
How the hell are you supposed to take down this fucking
salve maker?

Who is infuriating because he has attacks that hit 1000 and 9999 which seems to ignore your default state.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
How the hell are you supposed to take down this fucking
salve maker?

Who is infuriating because he has attacks that hit 1000 and 9999 which seems to ignore your default state.
A white mage can dispel the regen no prob. From there on, use your imagination ; )

Cerity

Heh just had the chat about the spell swords and the one about ringabel playing the monkeys. The spell swords one is probably the only time I've actually laughed at ringabel's skirt chasing antics.

ss-hikaru

A question about special attacks. I'm finding that in battles certain special attacks are greyed out. In particular, all my staff users only seem to be allowed to use the Level 3 Special (healing) and not any of the attacking ones. What influences which special attacks you can use?

Who here has actually renamed any of the special attack names and associated trash talk? :p I haven't yet since I'm always switching up jobs and equipment.

Okay, to be fair I'm playing on Hard, but the demo for this game is insane. Anywhere other than the cave to the west is full of enemies that make minced meat of my party, some of them while calling in reinforcements mid-battle. Does the game expect you to grind heavily to get through or am I missing something here?

TrueBlue

Really enjoying this game so far, just got to Florem. Edea and Ringabel are awesome, they bounce off each other so well. Gonna do the blue asterik side-scenarios that have just appeared before progressing.

Edea -lvl 28, lvl 6 Spell Fencer (lvl 7 Knight, lvl 6 Thief, lvl 3 Freelancer)
Tiz - lvl 28, lvl 7 Knight (lvl 7 Monk, lvl 2 Freelancer)
Agnes - lvl 28, lvl 7 Black Mage (lvl 7 White Mage, lvl 4 Time Mage, lvl 2 Freelancer)
Ringabel - lvl 28, lvl 8 Merchant (lvl 5 Monk, lvl 3 Freelancer)

Sound good so far?

Labadal

Okay, to be fair I'm playing on Hard, but the demo for this game is insane. Anywhere other than the cave to the west is full of enemies that make minced meat of my party, some of them while calling in reinforcements mid-battle. Does the game expect you to grind heavily to get through or am I missing something here?

Fight on the world map first, but be careful! The white cat enemy can one shot you with its aero spell.

A question about special attacks. I'm finding that in battles certain special attacks are greyed out. In particular, all my staff users only seem to be allowed to use the Level 3 Special (healing) and not any of the attacking ones. What influences which special attacks you can use?

Who here has actually renamed any of the special attack names and associated trash talk? :p I haven't yet since I'm always switching up jobs and equipment.

Healing is the level 1 special for the staff. You need to use healing spells 20 times for the Level 2 special (Buffing) and 30 times for the Level 3 special (which is a single target attack).

ETA - New Nemesis is out: Baal i; Tutle Doves (Level 99). Don't know if its got anything interesting I was obliterate grinding and forgot to equip proper skills and equipment again, so I had to run or perish.

Healing is the level 1 special for the staff. You need to use healing spells 20 times for the Level 2 special (Buffing) and 30 times for the Level 3 special (which is a single target attack).

ETA - New Nemesis is out: Baal i; Tutle Doves (Level 99). Don't know if its got anything interesting I was obliterate grinding and forgot to equip proper skills and equipment again, so I had to run or perish.

So they distributed it via wifi... nice :D
iinm it's probably a Bravely Second boss

Zornica

Banned
After looking up some prices on Amazon I wonder...
Is this game actually selling well? Or does it have an extremely low print-run?
I hope it's the former :7. I haven't seen it in stores since day 1 launch day where I bought the last copy...
Also slowly making progress through chapter 4. So far I really like it, although I wished someone would finally take a few inspirations from Golden Sun when it comes to dungeon design. Which still has the best RPG dungeons ever. Why is no one trying to copy that?
Such a shame.

After looking up some prices on Amazon I wonder...
Is this game actually selling well? Or does it have an extremely low print-run?
I hope it's the former :7. I haven't seen it in stores since day 1 launch day where I bought the last copy...
Also slowly making progress through chapter 4. So far I really like it, although I wished someone would finally take a few inspirations from Golden Sun when it comes to dungeon design. Which still has the best RPG dungeons ever. Why is no one trying to copy that?
Such a shame.

because Bravely Default isn't attempting to emulate shitty dungeon design

Norende done along with about 5 jobs mastered for everyone in Chapter 5. Grinding jobs is disturbingly easy in this game although I've decided to stop and finish the game

Golden Sun dungeons were awesome bro. This game needs more dungeon tracks too. Hearing the same track everywhere is getting old

Skab

Why is the NA release so much later than the rest? (I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times by now, sorry. I only just started paying attention/looking into the game over the last couple of days because I recently got a 3DS.)

Zornica

Banned

woah...
There are many things about golden sun that can and should be criticised but when it comes to dungeon design and interaction with your surroundings not a single RPG comes even close. The dungeons feel like dungeons from an adventure game, and not like a boring enemy filled hallway with a boss at the end. THAT'S shitty dungeon design. Because there isn't any design at all.

Top Bottom