• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

After looking up some prices on Amazon I wonder...
Is this game actually selling well? Or does it have an extremely low print-run?
I hope it's the former :7. I haven't seen it in stores since day 1 launch day where I bought the last copy...

Both I think.
It had a low print run but its selling better than expected (hence being sold out). Since it's available on the E-store the low print run problem isn't hurting it too much.

Regarding the last few chapters
I've done most of the asterisk fights minus a couple in Chapter 5 and they basically played out the same. I know that I can steal good stuff from in Chapter 6 or 7, is it both? Vampire dude pretty much spells out everything that's going on so while I'd like to see the way things play out, I'm not particularly invested in the story at the moment. Can I fly through the rest of 5 and 6 then do my thieving in 7?

1000 damage still hurts a lot. Currently grinding for dispel.

Also why is the third world so pointlessly huge. Actually, why is the world map in general pointlessly huge.

It's huge on foot

Oxx

Why is the NA release so much later than the rest? (I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times by now, sorry. I only just started paying attention/looking into the game over the last couple of days because I recently got a 3DS.)

Nintendo America probably thought Link Between Worlds was big enough to carry the 3DS through the holiday season, so they held some stuff to fill the schedule in early 2014.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Regarding the last few chapters
I've done most of the asterisk fights minus a couple in Chapter 5 and they basically played out the same. I know that I can steal good stuff from in Chapter 6 or 7, is it both? Vampire dude pretty much spells out everything that's going on so while I'd like to see the way things play out, I'm not particularly invested in the story at the moment. Can I fly through the rest of 5 and 6 then do my thieving in 7?

It's huge on foot

Are you saying that I won't be on foot at some point? Because I'm on foot A LOT.

KeRaSh

So I just reached chapter 5. Can someone tell me without spoiling anything significant how long this
going back in time thing
goes on?

Antiwhippy

Got that fat bastard!

Forgot that I had drain from the
spellswords
, and goddamn that is a crazy good move when you can fully heal in one attack.

Rad-

Anyone want to exchange friend codes? I have zero 3ds friends! My code is 1006-0144-7664.

Btw loving the game so far. This shit right here is FFV-2.

Mendrox

So I just reached chapter 5. Can someone tell me without spoiling anything significant how long this
going back in time thing
goes on?

For this
for the true ending you will have to awaken 20 crystals :p do the maths, you could also do the fake ending in this chapter ;-) but keep playing, just ignore the subbosses in chapter 5

Finished the game today and
Cool story, got the fake ending and the true ending and killed the optional boss. Wasn't so impressed with the time loops but the true ending makes up for it. Airy is ugly and the subtitle screen spoiler is just lol

Oh and everybody should check out the title screen in Chapter 6+7 ;-)

KeRaSh

For this
for the true ending you will have to awaken 20 crystals :p do the maths, you could also do the fake ending in this chapter ;-) but keep playing, just ignore the subbosses in chapter 5

Finished the game today and
Cool story, got the fake ending and the true ending and killed the optional boss. Wasn't so impressed with the time loops but the true ending makes up for it. Airy is ugly and the subtitle screen spoiler is just lol

Oh and everybody should check out the title screen in Chapter 6+7 ;-)

Really? I have to play through the game up until now another 4 times to get the true ending? I don't think I can endure that much repetition... Can I at least get there without random encounters? I'm currently Lv 69.

Really? I have to play through the game up until now another 4 times to get the true ending? I don't think I can endure that much repetition... Can I at least get there without random encounters? I'm currently Lv 69.

Possibly, but the crystal bosses get slightly tougher each time.

Do you have the Vampire class? Grab the Firestorm Genome ability from the moths in the Temple of Fire, then massacre the enemies outside Florem if you ever need to level up quick.

Then in Chapter 6, you can get the final class, which has an ability that instant kills all enemies 20 levels weaker when a battle begins, for even quicker grinding.

Jintor

Man, the difficulty curve is so good so far. Got wiped by the water temple boss, sat down and thought about it for a minute, then crushed him afterwards (after several revives, etc).

At the beginning of chapter 3. Any good points to grind job points yet, or just keep going for now?

Labadal

Man, the difficulty curve is so good so far. Got wiped by the water temple boss, sat down and thought about it for a minute, then crushed him afterwards (after several revives, etc).

At the beginning of chapter 3. Any good points to grind job points yet, or just keep going for now?

Grind a bit when you reach the Westernmost continent. Grapp Keep our just outside will be fine. Assign the JP up support ability and go crazy.

Cerity

finally finished up, 50 hours on the clock.

Chapters 5,6 and 7 could have been handled so much better along with ringabel regaining his memory. The grinding I did in chapter 5 carried me all the way to end game, I only did a few sub bosses and I turned encounters off the entire way, so I skipped stuff about some of the class bosses but I didn't care at that stage as the game just got tedious. Do the same stuff, again and again. At least I got both endings.

The special movie was pretty cool too, I'm assuming Tiz returned the life that given to him by the inkeep's son? and that his body was sent to eternia and kept in that vat (victoria's?) for the beginning of the next game?

Jenoss

Banned
Someone know where i can fight the special boss
the Adventurer
?
I have explore all the floor of the special dungeon, but i see it only on the first one and he only make me save or buy things..

Someone know where i can fight the special boss
the Adventurer
?
I have explore all the floor of the special dungeon, but i see it only on the first one and he only make me save or buy things..

Haven't done this yet so may not be totally correct but from what I've head
You need to walk through a wall in the room where you the Durandal from , should be the bottom floor of the dungeon

So I just met Yulyana in Chapter 6, and I realized something that's kind of contradictory about the design of the ending of the game and the "message" of Bravely Default. Major spoilers follow, obviously.

Yulyana tells you to
think for yourselves, and to disobey what you've been told to do (namely, performing the Awakening Rite on all the crystals). So the "right" thing for you to do is to blow up the crystals and screw over Airy's plans. You're not meant to know you can blow up the crystals, especially since they remove the Press X prompt when the crystals are ready. But going out of your way, to bravely default on what you are supposed to do, only gets you the normal ending. Getting the true ending requires you to continue following Airy's orders through all 5 loops.

Jenoss

Banned
Haven't done this yet so may not be totally correct but from what I've head
You need to walk through a wall in the room where you the Durandal from , should be the bottom floor of the dungeon

Thanks i find it. Did you know what the
Adventurer emblem that this boss drop when you beat it do?

Man the new nemesis is creepy. From the moment you trigger the battle and hear the strange sound effect you know something's up with this fellow...

Labadal

I just visited the Mythril Mines. I had auto battle on when fighting the single enemy encounters because I could decimate almost eveyrthing, then the pikemen showed up with their counters. OUCH!

Aswell

I apologise if this has already been asked before.

I have received my physical copy of the game yesterday and I'm about to begin playing it. However, I have not fully beaten the demo version (3 boss fights left).

Can I start playing the full version now, then finish the demo version later and transfer all the demo bonuses to the full game at that time? Or do I have to redeem the demo bonuses now (i.e. before playing the full game)?

is there an actual store to buy elixirs from?

Not that I know of. Try to StreetPass/NetFriend Invite/Homepass a Nemesis that holds an Elixir, you can get as many as you want from it as long as you don't kill it.

I have received my physical copy of the game yesterday and I'm about to begin playing it. However, I have not fully beaten the demo version (3 boss fights left).

Can I start playing the full version now, then finish the demo version later and transfer all the demo bonuses to the full game at that time? Or do I have to redeem the demo bonuses now (i.e. before playing the full game)?

The rewards aren't that great, so don't worry about that. I don't think it's possible anyway.

flowsnake

No, you receive the bonuses when you start the game,

Cerity

So I just met Yulyana in Chapter 6, and I realized something that's kind of contradictory about the design of the ending of the game and the "message" of Bravely Default. Major spoilers follow, obviously.

Yulyana tells you to
think for yourselves, and to disobey what you've been told to do (namely, performing the Awakening Rite on all the crystals). So the "right" thing for you to do is to blow up the crystals and screw over Airy's plans. You're not meant to know you can blow up the crystals, especially since they remove the Press X prompt when the crystals are ready. But going out of your way, to bravely default on what you are supposed to do, only gets you the normal ending. Getting the true ending requires you to continue following Airy's orders through all 5 loops.

I just thought of it this way, obviously spoilers for both endings.

With the normal ending
, airy tells you about ouroborous being her master but you don't have any further interaction with ouroborous as you haven't gone through enough worlds and accumulated enough power. You kill airy but ouroborous is eventually going to come back anyway.
Also the game drops hints all through chapters 6/7 about being able to destroy the crystals. Ringabel constantly questions the process and even asks what happens if agnes continues further than awakening - airy says the crystals would be destroyed. It's how I picked up on it at least.

And the true ending,
you're meant to go into knowing about what the normal ending tells you. You then go and continue to awaken all the crystals regardless, killing ouroborous completely and getting rid of that "evil" forever.

Did anyone take the second Dengeki survey? I wanted an extra Donnerjäger code for a friend but I think I might have been too late. Nothing in my inbox.

Antiwhippy

Really game? I have to travel all the way to the
floating ship,
to learn that I have to go to
cadisla
, just so I could learn that
I have to take egil to cadisla
, thus meaning that I have to travel from
cadisla
through
the third world again to get egil
just so I can bring him to
cadisla
?

Really game?

Zornica

Banned
chapter 4:
Is there anything to gain from taking the (hard) middle path? like some special item drops or something?

Violet_0

Banned
chapter 4:
Is there anything to gain from taking the (hard) middle path? like some special item drops or something?

Easy fight .
Just heal 1500 damage in the same turn the barrage hits (every three turns)

post-chapter 4 question:
What's the most convenient way to rush through the rest of the game? I don't have the time or patience for this

I am very early into the game and my city is cluttered with extremely high level Nemesis that i am not able to beat (50-99). Any way to get lower level ones?

↑Special Nemesis to be distributed on Jan 1st.
Jan 1st only. Don't miss it.
The special Nemesis' stats.
AJhCFRG.png

http://special.member.jp.square-enix.com/bdfts/player/?username=1897432
Hall of fame woot. I had to retry so many times on the last few bosses, and even had to use up all 3SP I had lying around. Major spoilers about them follow.

Airy's combo where she'd make your party weak to all elements, then follow up with Zetta Flare kept screwing over my party. I was using the Spiritmaster's Greater Spirit Ward to deal with it (I couldn't spare that one extra BP for Enigma), but I couldn't do anything about it if she used a Default and cast both spells in the same turn. At first I thought buffing my magic defence would do the trick, but it turns out that spell of hers removes all buffs too. Eventually I had to resort to using the Pirate's skill that debuffs magic damage to keep her in check. Even then I was forced to use 2SP.

Meanwhile for Ouroboros I had just entered the last phase with Ringabel dead and everyone else in critical condition (I hate it when RPGs don't have the decency to heal you up in between boss forms). I Raised him and Megalixered and thought the crisis was averted, but the cheap bastard opened with Disaster and insta-killed everyone, sending half an hour of fighting down the drain. My next attempt I made sure to again keep his magic damage low and my magic defence high.

As for that thing after the credits? I'm certainly hyped for Bravely Second now!

Top Bottom