• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Mistle

I'm only 2-3 hours in, and while I'm really liking it, I'm super disappointed at the bland corridoor-dungeons being really common, which really breaks up the fantastic art style.

Is there a Nemesis list or something? I'm not sure if I've lost anyone or not...

Names might be slightly off:

Beelzebub Level 10
Mammom Level 25
Satan Level 50
Asmodeus Level 70
Belphegor Level 80
Ba'al i; Turtle Dove Level 99

Unreleased:

Leviathan
Lucifer
Ba'al iv; Butterfly Tail

Is there a Nemesis list or something? I'm not sure if I've lost anyone or not...

Beelzebub Lvl 10 (6/12 - 9/12)
Asmodeus Lvl 70 (10/12 - 12/12)
Mammon Lvl 25 (13/12 - 16/12)
Belphegor Lvl 80 (17/12 - 19/12)
Satan Lvl 50 (20/12 - 23/12)
Ba'al i; Turtle Dove Lvl 99 (24/12 - 30/12)

Upcoming:
Lucifer
Leviathan
Special New Year Nemesis
第四天魔王「蝶尾」(another Ba'al Nemesis) (2/1 - 6/1)

If I'm not mistaken there's another version of Beelzebub, but I never come across it

↑Special Nemesis to be distributed on Jan 1st.
Jan 1st only. Don't miss it.
The special Nemesis' stats.
AJhCFRG.png

wtf better display pls
lol

magnetic

I'm only 2-3 hours in, and while I'm really liking it, I'm super disappointed at the bland corridoor-dungeons being really common, which really breaks up the fantastic art style.

I agree. The game seems very inconsistent in the production values - on the one hand, you´ve got these stunning parallax-scrolling hand drawn towns, the super charming character designs (the little warm-up dances they do when the battles start just never gets old), very cool and cute job class outfits and some good music...

...but then you´ve got these very generic looking dungeons with some half-assed switch "puzzles" thrown in, and the crystal temples look all the same with some minor color differences but always the same music playing. It´s just barely above those incredibly grating random Tartarus dungeons in Persona 3.

The
heavy asset recycling with the same bosses and the endless crystal sequences - (X) (X) (X) (X) STOPU! STOPUUUU!
got on my nerves pretty fast as well. The bland blue background during the normal bossfights feel very uninspired compared to the very beautiful, lush overworld backdrops.

There´s not even a new random battle tune (at least not at the point where I am in the game). Even titles as low budget as the first Etrian Odyssey had different default battle themes (not to mention vastly better dugeon design).

I had to take a complete break from the game and I´ll see if I ever get enough energy to go back to the battle mechanics (which I really enjoy) and the missing job classes.

To me it feels like a game made by some very talented people that ran out of money way too early and had to stretch everything really, really thin. The whole presentation suggests a sense of wonder and adventure that far to soon ends up in repetition and eventual fatigue - at least for me.

B0HICAH

Neo Member
Well it looks like Amazon is no longer taking preorders for the Collector's Edition. What are the chances it'll be back in stock? I'm not terribly interested in giving Gamestop an extra $10 to guarantee the Collector's Edition, but I will if it is my last resort.

catmario

Yay! I got Donel yagger yesterday! and I have two codes!!!!!!
I'll register the code right away. But I don't know what should I do with one remain code. Giveaway?

Istaerion

Probably another silly question on my part, but how does one obtain the weapons from those Bravely Quest events or what-have-you?

I'm registered on the Japanese Square-Enix members site and have it linked to my BD:FtS file.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Beelzebub Level 10
Mammom Level 25
Satan Level 50
Asmodeus Level 70
Belphegor Level 80

Unreleased:

Leviathan
Lucifer
Ba'al iv; Butterfly Tail
I also have a couple of lvl 56 Beelzebubs which, IIRC, arrived along with the lvl 10 ones (or even earlier) and they're *obliterating* my lvl 55 party. I might need some initiative boosters so I can at least have a chance at casting my specials during the 1st round.

Qurupeke

Beelzebub Lvl 10 (6/12 - 9/12)
Asmodeus Lvl 70 (10/12 - 12/12)
Mammon Lvl 25 (13/12 - 16/12)
Belphegor Lvl 80 (17/12 - 19/12)
Satan Lvl 50 (20/12 - 23/12)
Ba'al i; Turtle Dove Lvl 99 (24/12 - 30/12)

Upcoming:
Lucifer
Leviathan
Special New Year Nemesis
第四天魔王「蝶尾」(another Ba'al Nemesis) (2/1 - 6/1)

If I'm not mistaken there's another version of Beelzebub, but I never come across it

Beelzebub Level 10
Mammom Level 25
Satan Level 50
Asmodeus Level 70
Belphegor Level 80

Unreleased:

Leviathan
Lucifer
Ba'al iv; Butterfly Tail

Oh cool. I guess we'll get a repeat of previous Nemesis some time on the near future, right? I didn't miss anyone of them, but I'd like to fight a stronger Beelzebub or something... Oh and Ba'al thing is just so strong...and scary...

I don't have to do anything special on the members website to redeem the weapons or something of the sort?

I've updated my data before, but I don't recall receiving any weapons.

Maybe you're not eligible for them? There was a Bravely Quest that was previously mentioned, but you had to have been participating in it before it ended if you wanted to claim those weapons. You can also get some items by clearing some achievements and updating your save data. Others you can get by entering a serial code in the appropriate page on the members site.

Cerity

Hi GAF, how to I open the blue chests? And how do I do the endings right?

Chests:
you get a key for them in chapter 6

Normal Ending:
Keep mashing X when airy says stop in chapter 6/7/8
True Ending:
Continue following airy's orders all the way

Gala

Chests:
you get a key for them in chapter 6

Normal Ending:
Keep mashing X when airy says stop in chapter 6/7/8
True Ending:
Continue following airy's orders all the way

Thanks!

So do I do the normal ending before the true ending or what makes more sense storywise?

So I've been doing that Kamiizumi sidequest I linked to before (some spoilers if you follow the link): http://ds-can.com/bravely-default-fts/sub/secret.html

I did everything up to the encounter with Kamiizumi (which went as the site said) but now I've finished up Chapter
and I can't figure out what to do for the rest of the quest since I'm using Google translate, could anyone help me out ?

So I've finished all my grinding/collecting now and about to move onto Chapter 7. Still can't find the remainder of the side quest. Anyone got any ideas?

Shun

For those in the US who missed the Collector's Edition Amazon preorders for 49.99, Best Buy is also selling for 49.99 and you have the option for in store pick up on the day of.

No doubt Amazon will get more shipments like with the Kingdom Hearts Mark of Mastery Edition, but in the case they won't here's an alternative.

Best Buy CE Preorders!

Zornica

Banned
I finally made the jump into the dreaded 2nd half of the game and got a question:
chapter 5 spoiler
It's already obvious that I have to traverse everything I already did but... Do enemies get stronger? Or can I just turn off battles and go on auto pilot? Also are all the side quests for all the classes back? (I haven't progressed very far yet)

flowsnake

I finally made the jump into the dreaded 2nd half of the game and got a question:
chapter 5 spoiler
It's already obvious that I have to traverse everything I already did but... Do enemies get stronger? Or can I just turn off battles and go on auto pilot? Also are all the side quests for all the classes back? (I haven't progressed very far yet)

Play a bit more and you'll see the answers to everything I think. Or:
It's not really as bad as you think. You only have to do the crystal guardians again. The job sidequests are back, they're stronger now but it's not worth doing them unless you really want to (or if you missed any before). All the wild monsters in the game are stronger now.

wiibomb

For those in the US who missed the Collector's Edition Amazon preorders for 49.99, Best Buy is also selling for 49.99 and you have the option for in store pick up on the day of.

No doubt Amazon will get more shipments like with the Kingdom Hearts Mark of Mastery Edition, but in the case they won't here's an alternative.

Best Buy CE Preorders!

damn... the thing doesn't have shipping option, only store pickup... don't even get why.. as an International buyer this is bad..

I accientally canceled my preorder yesterday to order more and didn't see there were no more.. I need a restock..

Istaerion

Maybe you're not eligible for them? There was a Bravely Quest that was previously mentioned, but you had to have been participating in it before it ended if you wanted to claim those weapons. You can also get some items by clearing some achievements and updating your save data. Others you can get by entering a serial code in the appropriate page on the members site.

Two questions then: how does one participate in these Bravely Quests? Are these serial codes obtained from said quests?

Yeah same here. The ghosting is terrible though, which is a waste since the game looks good in 3D. :(
I was just going to say that I had to turn off the 3D completely because it really messed with my eyes - I couldn't find a good angle for it at all. Everything else is superb though.

Two last questions then: how does one participate in these Bravely Quests? Are these serial codes obtained from said quests?

You click "participate" on the site... and you've participated. You don't get codes from the Quests, you get some DLC such as weapons when you reach Chapter 5.

Istaerion

You click "participate" on the site... and you've participated. You don't get codes from the Quests, you get some DLC such as weapons when you reach Chapter 5.

Ha-ha, I figured it would be that simple.

I suppose the better question would be: How and where would one participate in these Bravely Quests?

I've gone to this link and it displays some information with a button linking to a serial code redemption page.

Apologies for being a pest, I just don't want to miss out.

Ha-ha, I figured it would be that simple.

I suppose the better question would be: How and where would one participate in these Bravely Quests?

I've gone to this link and it displays some information with a button linking to a serial code redemption page.

Apologies for being a pest, I just don't want to miss out.

The current Quest can be joined here.
http://special.member.jp.square-enix.com/bdfts/quest
Pick Team 「リングアベル」 please, thanks~

edit: I suppose you've already registered an account and linked it in-game?

Guys this is my first RPG with jobs. I really em not sure what to do. I mean I understand that I should mix and match and that later jobs are probably better than earlier in some ways. But what is a right way to proceed?
I thought of having 2 melee, 1 offensive spell caster and 1 healer. Ofc that could change.

In any case how do you approach such type of a game? Level all the jobs and see if they have something that is useful? Or just pick and choose? I feel overwhelmed :p But that is a good thing, I guess I'll learn something ;)

danthefan

Guys this is my first RPG with jobs. I really em not sure what to do. I mean I understand that I should mix and match and that later jobs are probably better than earlier in some ways. But what is a right way to proceed?
I thought of having 2 melee, 1 offensive spell caster and 1 healer. Ofc that could change.

In any case how do you approach such type of a game? Level all the jobs and see if they have something that is useful? Or just pick and choose? I feel overwhelmed :p But that is a good thing, I guess I'll learn something ;)

Was going to ask much the same thing. I just got access to Monk and White Mage, should I switch over immediately or is it worth staying as a Freelancer for a while?

Akito

This is a really good approach, not only for this game but most of those with such a job system. Also take in consideration the best equipments you have access to at that moment to choose your jobs. That should get you through the beginning just fine, later on you'll get much more JP from each fight so you can easily do some experiments with the jobs you haven't looked at, it makes no sense to try to level up everything from the beginning.
Also Freelancer is more of an endgame job, but be sure to level up at least one character to Freelancer level 4 to have the Dungeon Master ability, which negates any kind of dungeon trap.

Zornica

Banned
Figuring out what works and what doesn't is part of the fun and the experience..

I thought the monk sucked, but the white mage is more or less essential

This is a really good approach, not only for this game but most of those with such a job system. Also take in consideration the best equipments you have access to at that moment to choose your jobs. That should get you through the beginning just fine, later on you'll get much more JP from each fight so you can easily do some experiments with the jobs you haven't looked at, it makes no sense to try to level up everything from the beginning.
Also Freelancer is more of an endgame job, but be sure to level up at least one character to Freelancer level 4 to have the Dungeon Master ability, which negates any kind of dungeon trap.

So if one character has Dungeon Master ability, whole party won't be affected?

Top Bottom