• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

I keep encountering a bug that causes the game to hang mid-battle, and eventually kicks you back to the Home screen. It's really annoying when you're on the verge of beating a tough boss :(

I played this for the first time today. For someone who is new to the 3DS and has been gaming on the Vita for nearly two years, I was surprised by how gorgeous and picturesque it is graphically. It's a serious looker. Other than that, the game harkens back to the golden age of Squaresoft, even though I'm only very very early in and can't really comment on much gameplay wise. But yeah, I've got good feelings about Bravely Default; I can tell already it was worth buying a 3DS for.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hereby I declare that all accusations that a ninja and a blademaster are in some sort of a cahoot are baseless.

Taruranto

So I got this... wut

T5UPI8X.png

So I got this... wut

T5UPI8X.png

You can break 9999 damage in Bravely Second.

I was trying for 999 999 but I haven't worked out the right strategy yet (That's with Knuckle Lore, Natural Talent, Frenetic Fighting and P. Attack +10%), buffed to 150% P.Atk and Speed and 200% Hit Count, with Fairy Aid and High Leverage active using Torrent against a Water-Weak Kobold debuffed to 75% P.Def). I suspect I should switch out P. Attack +10% for Speculate but that's still not enough.

One of my guests has 999 999 damage so I know its doable.

Akito

Finally managed to beat the boss in the bonus dungeon, he was a pain in the ass because I was stubbornly hanging onto my strategy and didn't want to use either friend summons nor Bravely Second. And all I got was a lousy mark :(
lol
Time to finally finish this game.

kiryogi

Banned
I agree. The game seems very inconsistent in the production values - on the one hand, you´ve got these stunning parallax-scrolling hand drawn towns, the super charming character designs (the little warm-up dances they do when the battles start just never gets old), very cool and cute job class outfits and some good music...

...but then you´ve got these very generic looking dungeons with some half-assed switch "puzzles" thrown in, and the crystal temples look all the same with some minor color differences but always the same music playing. It´s just barely above those incredibly grating random Tartarus dungeons in Persona 3.

The
heavy asset recycling with the same bosses and the endless crystal sequences - (X) (X) (X) (X) STOPU! STOPUUUU!
got on my nerves pretty fast as well. The bland blue background during the normal bossfights feel very uninspired compared to the very beautiful, lush overworld backdrops.

There´s not even a new random battle tune (at least not at the point where I am in the game). Even titles as low budget as the first Etrian Odyssey had different default battle themes (not to mention vastly better dugeon design).

I had to take a complete break from the game and I´ll see if I ever get enough energy to go back to the battle mechanics (which I really enjoy) and the missing job classes.

To me it feels like a game made by some very talented people that ran out of money way too early and had to stretch everything really, really thin. The whole presentation suggests a sense of wonder and adventure that far to soon ends up in repetition and eventual fatigue - at least for me.

I don't know if it's so much as budget as intentional design adhering to the old formula. The game is meant to be for older Final Fantasy fans.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
boss Crowe is perpetually obliterating my team. What in the hell?

is there a strategy for this? Holly and the big guy were damn easy compared to this bastard

ss-hikaru

I was preparing for the worst when I started Chapter 5 but I'm actually enjoying going back and
fighting all the asterisk holders and seeing their different reactions. As one of the characters put it, they seem less like bad guys now :p

Plus it's fun, I've now been forced to think more about the jobs I'm using, previously fights were more about when to default and when to brave. Against
Holly and Barras take 2
I ended up levelling everyone in the ninja job and set said job as the the subjob so that I could utsusemi and dodge
Barras' Invigoration blast
thing. And then I felt good about myself for finally beating them after getting wiped like 4 times in a row using different jobs :p

I hate getting wiped in in the dungeons though :| Especially since I always seem to manage all the way up to the room with the red dude where I can save but then die for whatever reason. Having to go back and do the whole dungeon again, so demoralising.

Seriously thinking about picking up a 3DS for this game alone (although there are more games I want for it anyway). Reminds me of FF7-9 on PS1.

How long is it from start to finish ?.

jercruz

If I beat the game and get the normal ending, do i have to start all over to get the true ending?

no. you will asked to save at a point before you decided to do the regular ending. you also keep all level ups you did.

i'm doing the true ending now after getting the normal ending. all of my chars are lvl.99 and all jobs mastered.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm doing the true ending chapter, and realized that I didn't pick up the Conjurer asterisk. Now I can't trip the sub quest flag because Yulyana won't leave his damn hut.

Am I fucked? Do I have to beat the game and then go back to his hut at the right time?

Hereby I declare that all accusations that a ninja and a blademaster are in some sort of a cahoot are baseless.

Using Kairai and then Know Thine Enemy is pretty god damn awesome.

Seriously thinking about picking up a 3DS for this game alone (although there are more games I want for it anyway). Reminds me of FF7-9 on PS1.

I recently completed a run skipping most cutscenes while doing the majority of sidequests and it took me about 30 hours.

no. you will asked to save at a point before you decided to do the regular ending. you also keep all level ups you did.

i'm doing the true ending now after getting the normal ending. all of my chars are lvl.99 and all jobs mastered.

is it important to master all the jobs?
does every character have to master every job?

Zornica

Banned
another chapter 5 question:

Is there any order I should follow? I'm kinda worried that my level might be too low for some enemies and I HATE wasting time through failing over and over again...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
another chapter 5 question:

Is there any order I should follow? I'm kinda worried that my level might be too low for some enemies and I HATE wasting time through failing over and over again...

Honestly, grinding is so quick and easy that there's no reason not to be lvl 85 or so in Chapter 5.

Honestly, grinding is so quick and easy that there's no reason not to be lvl 85 or so in Chapter 5.

Most of the Chapter 5 bosses are pretty similar in difficulty (and you shouldn't have too many problems with them if you can get to Chapter 5 in the first place). The ones with multiple enemies are a tad harder especially when they are mooks who can be endlessly respawned. The other major exceptions are
Brave
and
Lord Rosso

Heh, I bought a 3DS precisely for the same reason. Didn't want to miss out on a JRPG that so strongly recalls the PS1 Final Fantasy games.

SQEX sent out an email to registered BDFF owners today, advertising BDFtS and B2nd. Nothing interesting in it, they should have sent it earlier anyway.

guys plz. I want to keep playing

Man, I had trouble with Holly and Barras, but Crowe wasn't so bad.

It's been so long since I fought him, I can't remember any pointers, sorry. What exactly are you having trouble with? His magical damage or his status afflictments?

85 oO I am like... 50?
can you recomend me some good grind spots?

Outside Florem.

Grab the Firestorm Genome ability from the moths inside the Temple of Fire.

Currygan

Man, I had trouble with Holly and Barras, but Crowe wasn't so bad.

It's been so long since I fought him, I can't remember any pointers, sorry. What exactly are you having trouble with? His magical damage or his status afflictments?

both things :(. I accumulate B points, heal, then release some special attacks with Tiz and Edea, back rinse repeat. Ringabel is pretty much useless, and boss has 1800 pts...I just cant keep up, Poison and Fire are too destructive for my team

Vargavinter

I just got Bravely Default and i need friends to help me with my village, so please add me and send a message on GAF and ill ad you back. :)

Bravely Default:
Friend Code: 3523-2484-2808
Name: Vargavinter

danthefan

guys plz. I want to keep playing

Do you have a white mage? Make one and just cure when you need to, I fought him earlier and found him quite easy.

Also I made Ringabel a monk and he did some decent damage. I didn't use a single special attack (I'm not entirely sure how).

Unrelated question, can you not use heal and such spells outside of battle?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So what's up with this game and amazon.de? I want to use a gift card, but it's been only available for 50€ on the marketplace since forever now :(

Zephyrus

Banned
Do you have a white mage? Make one and just cure when you need to, I fought him earlier and found him quite easy.

Also I made Ringabel a monk and he did some decent damage. I didn't use a single special attack (I'm not entirely sure how).

If you have a white mage or red mage job currently being used by anyone of your party, go to the magic section in the menu, click it, choose white magic and heal away.

Currygan

that was my tactic but the HPs are just too much. I must also say i didn't have any Antidotes so poison eventually killed me..

the what? ^^

Well, you don't need Firestorm, but outside Florem is great if you can nuke all the enemies before they can attack you (especially the group of 6 Raffliesia).

Genome abilities can be learned from monsters after you've got the
Vampire job from Vampire Castle
. The moths in the Temple of Fire have Firestorm, which drops the enemy's defence and does a lot of damage.

danthefan

So, how exactly do I increase the population of Norende? Every now and then I hit the streetpass button but it always just says "didn't pass by anyone" or something like that.

So, how exactly do I increase the population of Norende? Every now and then I hit the streetpass button but it always just says "didn't pass by anyone" or something like that.

You need to tag people who've played the game and registered StreetPass data.

Or alternatively go to "Update Data" from the save menu and you can get 3-5 guests from the internet.

blu

85 oO I am like... 50?
can you recomend me some good grind spots?
The Grind Mythril Mines, B2 - two sorts of enemy parties are encountered there, which you can get the hang of pretty quick, for a continuous One-turn Hero & Unscathed Hero chain (680-something EX, 72 JP per 1-turn battle) - that's how I made it from 40-is to 50-ish lvl.

blu

What's the effective difference between a Knight's Two-Handed skill and the Ninja's Dual Wield?
Heavier hits (two-handed) vs more hits (dual wield) - the latter would have a higher chance at a critical hit, me thinks, for the greater number of hits alone.

Heh, I bought a 3DS precisely for the same reason. Didn't want to miss out on a JRPG that so strongly recalls the PS1 Final Fantasy games.

Nice, looks amazing !

I recently completed a run skipping most cutscenes while doing the majority of sidequests and it took me about 30 hours.

Wow, that's a lot of game for the money.

Anyone have a 2DS ?, I used to get hand cramp as I have pretty large hands on the original 3DS which is one of the reasons I sold it. Current 3DS prices in the UK have the 3DS XL at £200 and the 2DS at £99 so the 2DS is very tempting but I'm worried about comfort for long sessions.

danthefan

Had a go at fighting a Nemesis, lv 10 apparently. My party is all around lv 13.

Was all going grand, if a bit slowly, until it just one-shotted the entire party. Seems a bit cheap :(

Guys, I need help on one of the last bosses of the true ending (chapter 8, I think?).

So I'm on the Grandship, right before you fight Airy twice in a row, and I am struggling against her 2nd form. I cannot return to the world map to do any grinding etc, so it seems I have to make do with what I've got. Unless I really can return, then please let me know! But when I go to the wheel of the ship, I can't choose to do anything.

In her 2nd form, the fight where she recovers her HP at one point, I just can't kill her. I'm struggling to work out what status effects I should protect against first and foremost - I don't seem to have enough variety in abilities and equipment to make sure everybody is protected against poison and stop and whatever else she inflicts.

But is there any way to stop that effect she puts onyou where it makes you weak to all magic attacks? I try to boost my Mag Defense with abilities/Performer abilities, but when she unleashes a magic attack and then a couple of Flares on people, I'm dead in a couple of moves.

I really wish I could get back to the world map and go grinding but I think I'm screwed.

Would love some help and tips to beat her. Thanks.

What's the effective difference between a Knight's Two-Handed skill and the Ninja's Dual Wield?

I'm guessing skill damage calculation is purely based on your main weapon, so the knight will deal more damage with them, whereas the ninja will deal more damage with the standard attack.

Guys, I need help on one of the last bosses of the true ending (chapter 8, I think?).

But is there any way to stop that effect she puts onyou where it makes you weak to all magic attacks? I try to boost my Mag Defense with abilities/Performer abilities, but when she unleashes a magic attack and then a couple of Flares on people, I'm dead in a couple of moves.

I really wish I could get back to the world map and go grinding but I think I'm screwed.

Would love some help and tips to beat her. Thanks.

Don't bother buffing your magic defence, I'm pretty sure that skill removes all your buffs. You can try reducing her magic damage (the pirate's able to do that). Ideally you can use the Spiritmaster skills that reduce or even nullify element attacks. Alternatively you can use Dispel (it's a White Magic spell).

Top Bottom