• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Don't bother buffing your magic defence, I'm pretty sure that skill removes all your buffs. You can try reducing her magic damage (the pirate's able to do that). Ideally you can use the Spiritmaster skills that reduce or even nullify element attacks. Alternatively you can use Dispel (it's a White Magic spell).

Thanks for those tips. Just had another go and did much better this time. Damn Flare got me in the end again.

Is there any way to defend a Flare attack? I have Abate Fire on but it seemed to do nothing. I guess it only affects actual Fire/Firaga-type attacks.

Enjolras

Neo Member
Back when my party were around level 15, I went to try beating Beelzebub. It went pretty well, finished the battle, got my xp/jp etc, then the game hard crashed on me. The whole "An error has occurred forcing a restart" thing. Other people on here had reported no problems whatsoever, so I figured it was bad luck.

A couple of days ago, I accidentally clicked on "fight" instead of quit when checking my nemeses with Beelzebub again, and trounced him in about a minute with my level 50 team. Once again, I got my xp/jp, and then it crashed again.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm kinda scared to try any more of the nemesis battles in case this happens again. I'm not sure if it's just my Beelzebub that's glitched (it's one I got from SQEX, not from a net friend), or if it's all of the nemeses, or if it's affecting other people.

Thanks for those tips. Just had another go and did much better this time. Damn Flare got me in the end again.

Is there any way to defend a Flare attack? I have Abate Fire on but it seemed to do nothing. I guess it only affects actual Fire/Firaga-type attacks.

Can you grind in the engine room?

I think timing's key here. Just up your party's magic defence high with the Performer's Key to your Heart (so it's 150%) and cast the Spiritmaster's Greater Spirit Ward when it makes you weak to all elements.

If it makes you weak and casts Zeta Flare in the same turn, you're pretty much screwed though. In that case, it may help to have Angelic Guard (White Mage ability) and maybe Stand Ground (Freelancer).

I think timing's key here. Just up your party's magic defence high with the Performer's Key to your Heart (so it's 150%) and cast the Spiritmaster's Greater Spirit Ward when it makes you weak to all elements.

If it makes you weak and casts Zeta Flare in the same turn, you're pretty much screwed though. In that case, it may help to have Angelic Guard (White Mage ability) and maybe Stand Ground (Freelancer).

The engine room! Just went there and yes, I can grind in there. Hmm, well the EXP wasn't that good but I may be able to keep at it to get some abilities I need for the jobs mentioned and hopefully some levels. Thank you! It's better than nothing!

Will try to learn the abilities you mentioned and give it another go.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
how fast is "quickly"

With a growth egg, I went from 75 to 99 in a little more than an hour.

There's honestly no reason not to grind to 99 before finishing the game.

What I did was wait until after Chapter 4, then
went to the strip of land outside of Hartschild. Since only undead spawn out there, I had Tiz (who was already a Ninja/Hunter) brave 3 times and use undead slayer on everyone. Then I set it to auto, 4x speed, +100% encounter rate. You get an average of 2500xp. With a growth egg, you get 4700xp at the very least, and about 400jp per battle.

I just brute forced it by being level 99, and just having more HP than she could take from me. With Holy One and Epic Group Cast, my healer also has the ability to fully heal everyone with one cast of Cura, saving TONS of MP when I need it.

The engine room! Just went there and yes, I can grind in there. Hmm, well the EXP wasn't that good but I may be able to keep at it to get some abilities I need for the jobs mentioned and hopefully some levels. Thank you! It's better than nothing!

Will try to learn the abilities you mentioned and give it another go.

As a last ditch, if you add my FC, you can use my friend summon in a pinch. It's a bit dirty, but beats being stuck in
Grandship
for ages.

I've been aiming for a max damage record, so it might be useful...

With a growth egg, I went from 75 to 99 in a little more than an hour.

There's honestly no reason not to grind to 99 before finishing the game.

What I did was wait until after Chapter 4, then
went to the strip of land outside of Hartschild. Since only undead spawn out there, I had Tiz (who was already a Ninja/Hunter) brave 3 times and use undead slayer on everyone. Then I set it to auto, 4x speed, +100% encounter rate. You get an average of 2500xp. With a growth egg, you get 4700xp at the very least, and about 400jp per battle.

too slow for speedruns/10 :p

Burbeting

Banned
Played around ten hours in. Right now at
chapter 2, came in to the city with only females. I know, I'm really slow :D.
The game has been positive surprise, really delighted with it.

As a last ditch, if you add my FC, you can use my friend summon in a pinch. It's a bit dirty, but beats being stuck in
Grandship
for ages.

I've been aiming for a max damage record, so it might be useful...

Ooo, yes, I will add you then. Thanks. My 3DS code should be in my profile if you need it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just beat the last boss and finished the True Final Chapter.

Such a brilliant ending. Loved every second of it. Glad I picked up For The Sequel and finished BDFF finally.

Might be one of my most favorite RPGs ever.

-MB-

I was preparing for the worst when I started Chapter 5 but I'm actually enjoying going back and
fighting all the asterisk holders and seeing their different reactions. As one of the characters put it, they seem less like bad guys now :p

Plus it's fun, I've now been forced to think more about the jobs I'm using, previously fights were more about when to default and when to brave. Against
Holly and Barras take 2
I ended up levelling everyone in the ninja job and set said job as the the subjob so that I could utsusemi and dodge
Barras' Invigoration blast
thing. And then I felt good about myself for finally beating them after getting wiped like 4 times in a row using different jobs :p

I hate getting wiped in in the dungeons though :| Especially since I always seem to manage all the way up to the room with the red dude where I can save but then die for whatever reason. Having to go back and do the whole dungeon again, so demoralising.

Turn off random encounters before you go into the last section with the red guy, problem solved lol.

Aeana

I have a question for anyone who has gotten the normal ending in the European version of the game.

This is a very spoilery question, so do not highlight if you aren't that far.

What does the title screen change to once you save the game after getting the normal ending? It occurs to me that the new subtitle does not match the title of the finale chapter, and in the Japanese version, it removes the Fs from Flying Fairy on the title screen once you get that far.

Peff

I have a question for anyone who has gotten the normal ending in the European version of the game.

What does the title screen change to once you save the game after getting the normal ending? It occurs to me that the new subtitle does not match the title of the finale chapter, and in the Japanese version, it removes the Fs from Flying Fairy on the title screen once you get that far.

Where The Fairy Flies -> Airy Lies

thetrin

Oh, good question.
I'm playing in English in the JP version of FTS, and it changes to Lying Airy. Is there a different subtitle for EU?

I feel like that has a MAJOR impact on my enjoyment of the ending, for a number of reasons.

Where The Fairy Flies -> Airy Lies

Oh shit, that's pretty good. I'm glad they maintain that.
The use of making FF disappear is retained. I love that the fact that they roll up "It's not FF" and "Airy is a fucking liar" in a single simple action. So fucking perfect. Especially when the crux of the twist rests upon throwing the expectations of the crystals out the window. God damn this game is genius.

Come to think of it, that might actually be a better version than the Japanese version.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Could someone explain the money trick people were doing a million pages ago? I think it involved thief/merchant?

Could someone explain the money trick people were doing a million pages ago? I think it involved thief/merchant?

I think people steal Elixirs from Nemeses and use a Merchant ability to sell those Elixirs to enemies for 60k pg/pq. I haven't tried it myself, the hit&heal loop is good enough if you can get a good loop going.

I'm so torn on this game. One hand we get a return to form RPG from the master yet the US version gets stuck with Pay to win and censorship. Ugh I may still end up buying it

Astarte

I'm so torn on this game. One hand we get a return to form RPG from the master yet the US version gets stuck with Pay to win and censorship. Ugh I may still end up buying it

I'm fine with playing a fantastic game, even with optional pay to win and panty censorship. If not being able to look at hot bods disturbs you to the point of not buying this game, I don't know what to say. Wish Squeenix decided not to censor though, everyone looked adorable.

Aeana

These things are both incredibly minor in this game. I never used bravely second even once, and of course I never used it in the original version since it wasn't even available!
To be completely honest, from what I saw of bravely second, it isn't even that useful, because a lot of the best abilities in the game take BP, and in bravely second mode, actions that require BP take SP instead, and your SP maxes out at 3.

These things are both incredibly minor in this game. I never used bravely second even once, and of course I never used it in the original version since it wasn't even available!
To be completely honest, from what I saw of bravely second, it isn't even that useful, because a lot of the best abilities in the game take BP, and in bravely second mode, actions that require BP take SP instead, and your SP maxes out at 3.

I'm fine with playing a fantastic game, even with optional pay to win and panty censorship. If not being able to look at hot bods disturbs you to the point of not buying this game, I don't know what to say. Wish Squeenix decided not to censor though, everyone looked adorable.

Regardless of how minor the censorship is its still censorship and if we really wanna have games as art it should be above this kind of thing.

Oh, good question.
I'm playing in English in the JP version of FTS, and it changes to Lying Airy. Is there a different subtitle for EU?

I feel like that has a MAJOR impact on my enjoyment of the ending, for a number of reasons.

Oh shit, that's pretty good. I'm glad they maintain that.
The use of making FF disappear is retained. I love that the fact that they roll up "It's not FF" and "Airy is a fucking liar" in a single simple action. So fucking perfect. Especially when the crux of the twist rests upon throwing the expectations of the crystals out the window. God damn this game is genius.

Come to think of it, that might actually be a better version than the Japanese version.

I kinda got spoiled on this. My initial copy of BDFF was a used copy, so
the F's in the main menu were red, and slowly disappeared as the fairy flew over them. "It becomes LYING AIRY if you remove them? Ha, that's cute. Wonder what's up with that." I somehow didn't make the connection to Airy (maybe cos her name was in katakana), but then in Chapter 3 when she seemed so eager to sacrifice Egil, I was just "Wait a minute..."

The new
Second behind the Default is pretty cool too.

I've been thinking about how Bravely Default had gameplay systems named after the game title, and we can probably expect Bravely Second to also have the similarly named mechanic. I'm probably thinking far too ahead, but didn't Square Enix register a trademark for Bravely Third? Third, サード, wondering if they'll come up with something based on that.

thetrin

Regardless of how minor the censorship is its still censorship and if we really wanna have games as art it should be above this kind of thing.

Yeah, I'm not sure if having chibi girls bathed in belts is a worthy "artistic" cause. Fight for it if you want, but there are far more important artistic causes worth fighting for.

Pretty much this. I played through 80% of the game on the original BDFF, and FTS gave me Bravely Second, but I never used it, even on the last boss, who is a piece of shit.

If you want to not buy something based on your ideals, good on you. That said, a company giving people the ability to be giant idiots isn't a reason for me to not buy a game. Being malicious in your monetization, however, is. If someone wants to spend money on Bravely Second because they're big morons that can't play a JRPG, then go ahead. That's on them. Not on S-E.

I kinda got spoiled on this. My initial copy of BDFF was a used copy, so
the F's in the main menu were red, and slowly disappeared as the fairy flew over them. "It becomes LYING AIRY if you remove them? Ha, that's cute. Wonder what's up with that." I somehow didn't make the connection to Airy (maybe cos her name was in katakana), but then in Chapter 3 when she seemed so eager to sacrifice Egil, I was just "Wait a minute..."

The new
Second behind the Default is pretty cool too.

I've been thinking about how Bravely Default had gameplay systems named after the game title, and we can probably expect Bravely Second to also have the similarly named mechanic. I'm probably thinking far too ahead, but didn't Square Enix register a trademark for Bravely Third? Third, サード, wondering if they'll come up with something based on that.

Yeah, the new
Second behind the Default
is an awesome touch, and a cool use of 3D.

The new
endgame movie is awesome, too. I'm so happy it's not some CG piece of shit. It's a well done gyroscopic video that actually asks some minimal player agency of you. It's incredibly well implemented, and actually made me feel better about Tiz's "death" at the end of the game. I would have been crushed at the end of the game had I actually finished BDFF, instead of transferring my game over to FTS.

Yeah, I'm not sure if having chibi girls bathed in belts is a worthy "artistic" cause. Fight for it if you want, but there are far more important artistic causes worth fighting for.

Pretty much this. I played through 80% of the game on the original BDFF, and FTS gave me Bravely Second, but I never used it, even on the last boss, who is a piece of shit.

Not to be one of those people but art is art regardless if its good art or not.

ZeroX03

Banned

Every form of artwork is suspectible to censorship. Films are constantly changed for different audiences. Television shows are prone to network interference. Restrictions and censorship are a part of making art and showcasing it to a wide audience. Changing outfits to be slightly less revealing is a very minor offense that changes basically nothing.

More of the game's 'artistic integrity' is likely damaged through changes made in translation rather than covering a little skin. And the Bravely Second mechanic is basically useless and unnecessary so might as well ignore that.

thetrin

Not to be one of those people but art is art regardless if its good art or not.

Oh come on. We're not talking about a piece of art that symbolizes the plight of Jewish nationals in Palestine. We're talking about vampire costumes where in a bunch of belts are supplemented with a bit of cloth.

Please explain to me how this somehow erodes our artistic expression as humans. Please tell me how some message was obscured because Edea's boobs are less visible.

It's an asinine crusade.

Every form of artwork is suspectible to censorship. Films are constantly changed for different audiences. Television shows are prone to network interference. Restrictions and censorship are a part of making art and showcasing it to a wide audience. Changing outfits to be slightly less revealing is a very minor offense that changes basically nothing.

More of the game's 'artistic integrity' is likely damaged through changes made in translation rather than covering a little skin. And the Bravely Second mechanic is basically useless and unnecessary so might as well ignore that.

Oh come on. We're not talking about a piece of art that symbolizes the plight of Jewish nationals in Palestine. We're talking about vampire costumes where in a bunch of belts are supplemented with a bit of cloth.

It's an asinine crusade.

Please explain to me how this somehow erodes our artistic expression as humans. I abhor censorship, but this is just silly.

I mean I'm not really trying to get into a debate here but art is art and art should never be censored

thetrin

I mean I'm not really trying to get into a debate here but art is art and art should never be censored

Art as a product is not art and never will be. Sorry. That's not how art works. Art is self expression. The minute it becomes a product its susceptible to criticism and censorship. It needs to make money. That fact alone erodes its credibility.

If a game wants to be pure art free of the confines of societal constraints, it cannot be sold as a product. Once art is a product, it does not belong to its creators, but to everyone. That alone makes it malleable, editable, and vulnerable to change.

So, no. Sorry. You cannot hide behind "art" when you want things to remain exactly as the creators intended.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'd really like to play this game, but unfortunately I don't have a 3DS and probably won't be getting one anytime soon.
You can try borrowing a 3ds (make sure it's a 3ds, as the 3d in the game is a sight to behold), as those are rather common these days.

Everybody who'd ever played the game could tell you that you're not stuck with the 'pay to win'. As for the censorship - that could be viewed as unfortunate, but since the game has a gazillion of costumes, anyway, and the few censored ones (mind you, not removed, just modified) are clear fanservice (if such a thing could make sense in a chibi context), you can always order the excellent artbook and enjoy all the costumes, even the ones which did not make it into the final version of the game.

Please note that I'm not saying 'omg, get this game unconditionally!', but rather that if those are your peeves with that game, then those are really non-issues. For instance, my peeve with this otherwise outstanding game is how come a lvl 56 nemesis can wipe out my entire lvl 59 party with a singe Firaja, while my job-maxed black mage needs two Firagas to wipe out three silver wolves, who also happen to be vulnerable to fire ; )

thetrin

Everyone who enters this thread should get this game unconditionally. :p

Socreges

Banned
Art as a product is not art and never will be. Sorry. That's not how art works. Art is self expression. The minute it becomes a product its susceptible to criticism and censorship. It needs to make money. That fact alone erodes its credibility.

If a game wants to be pure art free of the confines of societal constraints, it cannot be sold as a product. Once art is a product, it does not belong to its creators, but to everyone. That alone makes it malleable, editable, and vulnerable to change.

So, no. Sorry. You cannot hide behind "art" when you want things to remain exactly as the creators intended.
I had to look up what was actually at issue here:

Some edits to make two costumes look less revealing, characters have become older from 15 to 18
...........get a fucking grip, Fahrenheit.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Lets censor L'Amour et Psyché, enfants while we are at it as well.

17th century popes are way ahead of you, visit the vatican museum

Ot: fight the power all you want, the pay2win stuff is so minor you'll have a hard time notice its existence at all. Not once has it struck me that "Man I need a SP move now", it's minor useless stuff.

The censorship as you call it could just as well be interpreted as a cultural translation, it's not like there's black bars all over the place. The same artists that made the game, made the adaptions afaik. It's a dress or two you can't buy, hardly the end of the world, and not like they're burning books or crushing sculptures or anything, but by all means: be a hero and rob yourself of a fantastic jrpg experience. Alternately import a japanese 3DS.

Top Bottom