• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Both the censored costumes happen to look better than their original incarnations too IMO.

The only real downside so far is that there is still no sign of the second set of DLC costumes. I must have speedo Ringabel.

Peagles

I got my LE of this game, but I also preordered at EB in New Zealand so I could get the preorder artbook. However December 6 came and went with no phonecall or text... I've called and left messages but nobody has called me back. Has this even come out here or is there some kind of delay?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BP Recovery ability is so game breaking :D

There's actually quite a bit in the game that's game breaking, but in a good way. The game asks that you search it out. Epic Group-Cast + Holy One is game breaking for a healer. I can fully heal my whole team with a 9 MP spell. That's nuts.

Question: I've gotten both endings, and I loaded up my save to get the Conjurer asterisk. What am I missing? I can't trip the very first flag. Someone who has gotten the class, PLEASE tell me.

This is the same theme on the Bravely Second site.

Both the censored costumes happen to look better than their original incarnations too IMO.

The only real downside so far is that there is still no sign of the second set of DLC costumes. I must have speedo Ringabel.

Speedo Ringabel is the true victim in all of this. I'm quite happy I got him.

Exentryk

There's actually quite a bit in the game that's game breaking, but in a good way. The game asks that you search it out. Epic Group-Cast + Holy One is game breaking for a healer. I can fully heal my whole team with a 9 MP spell. That's nuts.

Yeah, that healer setup will work great too. I am still in chapter 4, so don't have access to 5 ability slots for both those. Looking forward to more game breaking setups.

Cerity

heh, I had holy one + healing lore. I could mostly heal my team with a group casted cure which cost 3. The only time I had to use anything higher was with the last boss, which was a cura @ 7MP lol. It was fun when I was grinding as well, casting a group curada on the undead enemies on the 3rd continent would deal 9999. Cura would have done fine most of the time but I just wanted to be sure.

Nice. I forgot Japanese voices were an option until I was a few hours in and changing now just seems a bit strange now I'm used to the characters.

I set work up on 7 separate sites in Norende which would all take 8 hours to complete then closed the lid and went to sleep. Woke up this morning, opened my game and "an error has occurred, please press the power button."
Fuck.

Question: I've gotten both endings, and I loaded up my save to get the Conjurer asterisk. What am I missing? I can't trip the very first flag. Someone who has gotten the class, PLEASE tell me.

Are you in Chapter
?

If so, do the
Vampire Castle
sidequest.

You will fight the Conjurer along with the Vampire.

Zornica

Banned
Chapter 5:
I can't find the last dragon... I beat 5? already, should be only one left. I guess it has to be the lightning one, if there is something like that
flew all over the world but can't find him

edit: found it -_-

Dunno, the only one I've got is the one you can find in the last dungeon. If you can indeed steal them, then most likely not from any bosses.

I just checked and it looks like I got 3 of them as DLC (BDFF Achievement reward). So I guess you can only get 1 normally, from the last dungeon.

Is there a way to obtain more than one ribbon without NG+?

I did some quick research and I only found one in the main game.

You can get three more by completing achievements, but you need the Japanese version (and linked to the Square Enix members) and I'm not sure which version it's for (the original or For the Sequel).

EDIT: Been solved already

Akito

Bummer, but figured. Thanks guys. It's s shame that the game only let you do a NG+ after doing the true ending, I might even consider doing 3 short playthroughs to complete the set... at some point.

GeekyDad

Everyone who enters this thread should get this game unconditionally. :p

Why?

Honestly, I came to the thread in hopes that someone might help hype me up for the game. When it was first announced, I was excited by its beauty, but the more I see of it, the less excited I get for it. I'm just having a hard time looking forward to its US release. It's not that it doesn't look like a really good game; it's just that it looks so much like a really good game I've played so many times already. I really enjoyed Four Heroes of Light, but I'm not sure I'm up for essentially more of the same with a new coat of paint. Played the DS FF remakes to death and loved 'em, but this looks like more of that, basically.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Because the game restored my faith in Japanese game design. Because it restores your faith in Japanese gaming while deviously betraying your expectations. Because it's not what you think, and I've already spoiled too much by saying it isn't. Because its depth of customization is hidden at first glance, and alluring at second.

Because it's a better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy. :)

I suddenly realize that the question "Why?" is silly when it's in response to "unconditionally".

Bummer, but figured. Thanks guys. It's s shame that the game only let you do a NG+ after doing the true ending, I might even consider doing 3 short playthroughs to complete the set... at some point.

I definitely got 2 in my playthrough without doing achievements, but I've forgotten where I got my second one. :|

Why?

Honestly, I came to the thread in hopes that someone might help hype me up for the game. When it was first announced, I was excited by its beauty, but the more I see of it, the less excited I get for it. I'm just having a hard time looking forward to its US release. It's not that it doesn't look like a really good game; it's just that it looks so much like a really good game I've played so many times already. I really enjoyed Four Heroes of Light, but I'm not sure I'm up for essentially more of the same with a new coat of paint. Played the DS FF remakes to death and loved 'em, but this looks like more of that, basically.

It's a great game in pretty much every aspect an RPG should be: likeable characters, good graphics, intriguing story, AMAZING soundtrack, interesting battle system, satisfying character progression (if in FF5 you looked forward to reaching the next crystal to unlock new jobs, you're gonna LOVE this), sidequests with relevant rewards, and a sense of adventure!

Can you handicap yourself by building up Norende too quickly?
I'm in chapter one, just landed in Yulyana Forest after visiting the Wind Temple and I already have half of Norende rebuilt and over 50 villagers.
Should I stop for a bit? I don't want access to weapons/items that are just going to make the rest of the game a walkover.....

Zornica

Banned
chapter 6:
how stupid are those idiots? from chapter 3 onwards I knew that whatever we are trying to do here is just plain wrong. and from chapter 4 I knew the fairy was evil. I just arrived at chapter 6 and everybody is still like "yeah, we are heroes! pff whatever"
also
I am pretty sure by now that ringabell is alternis from some parallel world where the fucking fairy succeeded with here plan.

Sadist

So I'm nearing the end of Chapter 4 and there is a certain bossbattle...

against Alternis. I know he has about 100k HP, but I can't beat the jerk. His attacks are pretty powerful (around 50k damage he gets even stronger) and I don't know how to counter. My party consists of a Knight, White Mage, Black Mage and a Valkyrie. Any tips on how to beat him?

Oxx

I finished Norende while in chapter 1 and I have been able to brute-force my way up until chapter 3 with some of the village weapons.

The stuff is really expensive, so it's not too gamebreaking.

So I'm nearing the end of Chapter 4 and there is a certain bossbattle...

against Alternis. I know he has about 100k HP, but I can't beat the jerk. His attacks are pretty powerful (around 50k damage he gets even stronger) and I don't know how to counter. My party consists of a Knight, White Mage, Black Mage and a Valkyrie. Any tips on how to beat him?

Spiritmaster's first skill allows you to nullify dark which counters half his moves. Minus Strike is pretty much guaranteed to kill, so bring lots of Phoenix Downs.

chapter 6:
how stupid are those idiots? from chapter 3 onwards I knew that whatever we are trying to do here is just plain wrong. and from chapter 4 I knew the fairy was evil. I just arrived at chapter 6 and everybody is still like "yeah, we are heroes! pff whatever"
also
I am pretty sure by now that ringabell is alternis from some parallel world where the fucking fairy succeeded with here plan.

Haha, I thought that as well.

Maybe you should...
break the crystals now to save some frustration. This way you'll reach the "fake" final chapter (which should be doable) and once you've beaten it, you can return to getting the "true" final chapter.

danthefan

Can you handicap yourself by building up Norende too quickly?
I'm in chapter one, just landed in Yulyana Forest after visiting the Wind Temple and I already have half of Norende rebuilt and over 50 villagers.
Should I stop for a bit? I don't want access to weapons/items that are just going to make the rest of the game a walkover.....

How do you get so many villagers? Do you need people on your friends list with the game? I'm on ch. 2 now but only have 13.

Kolgar

Why?

Haha. I'm in the same boat! Reading the thread trying to convince myself to keep my preorder.

Carry on, Bravely Defaulters!

Zornica

Banned
Haha, I thought that as well.

Maybe you should...
break the crystals now to save some frustration. This way you'll reach the "fake" final chapter (which should be doable) and once you've beaten it, you can return to getting the "true" final chapter.

lol I just read this while
hammering the x button on the water crystal. didn't know you could go beyond the "stop" point, seems to be working.
SUCK IT, fucking fairy.
how can I return to do the true ending?

lol I just read this while
hammering the x button on the water crystal. didn't know you could go beyond the "stop" point, seems to be working.
SUCK IT, fucking fairy.
how can I return to do the true ending?

Once you get any ending, you'll be returned to the point before any crystal has been broken (so in your case, at the start of Chapter 6), with all your progress saved.

Sallokin

I love taking my time with this. Just hit Chapter 2, all but two shops in Norende are maxed out (thanks Japan streetpass heaven), and I'm really enjoying just messing around with the various jobs I've unlocked etc. For the poster above the items that are unlocked by maxing out the shops are really expensive so, yes you have access to them, but I certainly don't have enough to buy it all.

Zornica

Banned
Once you get any ending, you'll be returned to the point before any crystal has been broken (so in your case, at the start of Chapter 6), with all your progress saved.

"any ending"? are there more than just two?
just broke that piece of shit crystal. Now I am gonna ram my pole up that fairies ass.
feels good man

Speaking of taking time I'm on Ch5 lol, going slowly through so I don't risk burnout XD

ATM
refighting all the job bosses even though I'm maxed leveled everything and only need the last job class =P
I just wanna get the additional dialogue from each job battles.

So, around how long does the localised version of the game (based on the Japanese BD:For the Sequal) take to complete? I have the Euro version already, but I'm a bit hesitant to start a really long game right now.

I heard there was tons of filler in the latter portions of the original release. Can the filler be avoided now? And is there tons of compulsory grinding?

flowsnake

So, around how long does the localised version of the game (based on the Japanese BD:For the Sequal) take to complete? I have the Euro version already, but I'm a bit hesitant to start a really long game right now.

I heard there was tons of filler in the latter portions of the original release. Can the filler be avoided now? And is there tons of compulsory grinding?

There's a lot of skippable stuff in the last part of the game, don't know if it was compulsory before. There's no way to completely avoid the filler, and it's not possible to explain why without spoilers.

It's kind of hard to say how long it will take because of the optional/sidequest stuff.

There's a lot of skippable stuff in the last part of the game, don't know if it was compulsory before. There's no way to completely avoid the filler, and it's not possible to explain why without spoilers.

It's kind of hard to say how long it will take because of the optional/sidequest stuff.

Hmmm...thanks. Maybe I'll wait until I've got more free time.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Speaking of feeling good, summoners truly love free lunches!

Peff

Anyone have a recommended party setup for the Vampire Castle?

The Cerberus' keep wiping me out.

I take it you're in Chapter 4.If so, just -100% encounter it. The boss himself is much easier than the random enemies, and if you are capable of beating him you're going to steamroll through the next couple of chapters anyway.

Top Bottom