• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Zornica

Banned
chapter 6:

just beat the fairy (which was fairly easy) and watched the credits

dat title change <3
now it all makes sense

I'd be satisfied if they had ended it here...
but they didn't... moving on, making my party look like a bunch of idiots again

I finished Norende while in chapter 1 and I have been able to brute-force my way up until chapter 3 with some of the village weapons.

The stuff is really expensive, so it's not too gamebreaking.
For the poster above the items that are unlocked by maxing out the shops are really expensive so, yes you have access to them, but I certainly don't have enough to buy it all.

Ahh cheers, I hadn't actually checked any of the items until now so didn't see the 99999 price tags -_-
Glad I have nothing to worry about though!

How do you get so many villagers? Do you need people on your friends list with the game? I'm on ch. 2 now but only have 13.

I assume he is using Homepass.

Ewwwwww no Homepass! I don't even have an internet connection where I live, I just tether my phone :lol. Anyways I had 20 villagers carry over from the demo and a further 10 when I started the proper game. Seems demo and retail passes are one and the same and as I stopped opening the demo once I hit 20 villagers (the max for the demo) I was still accumulating hits until they capped.
Added to those 30 are the 12 I've got by connecting online the past 3 days (I got the game for Xmas) and the rest are just genuine passes from going to the sales yesterday and today.
I tend to get about 10 streetpasses a day (more if I clear the queue) and there's always at least one BD pass, happy to see it doing well.

1920x1080 wallpapers of the drama CD cover via Neophoton's tumblr:
UJLQoCX.jpg

bUVufgx.jpg

3SVboNc.jpg

idQV74d.jpg

These are scans by the tumblr user of the drama CD covers keep in mind, thus slight dip in details etc.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Aww man. I dig that FFT/Tactics Ogre-style art a lot, but those ugly, jaggy, chibi low-poly models really put a damper on this game for me. :( I'd love to play an old-school, 16/32-bit style jRPG again, though, but much like the DS remake of FF4, I really loathe those graphics. Why they chose this style over all-2D sprites is just beyond me.

Then again I did sit through all of the FF4 remake, so maybe I should give this game a chance... when it comes out over here. :S

kiryogi

Banned
Aww man. I dig that FFT/Tactics Ogre-style art a lot, but those ugly, jaggy, chibi low-poly models really put a damper on this game for me. :( I'd love to play an old-school, 16/32-bit style jRPG again, though, but much like the DS remake of FF4, I really loathe those graphics. Why they chose this style over all-2D sprites is just beyond me.

Then again I did sit through all of the FF4 remake, so maybe I should give this game a chance... when it comes out over here. :S

Low poly? Have you see these models in action? They are animated beyond what you'd think. Infact, it's visually beyond the 32bit jRPGs.

1359506327519zhjy8.gif

Akito

So I'm currently trying to complete my journal (god knows why), if anyone was so kind to look through their journal, I would be grateful for any of those names (if there's a comprehensive encyclopedia somewhere, that would also work):

Weapons & Armors
Spear no. 10
Rod no. 12
Staff no. 11
Dagger no. 10
Knuckles no. 06
Shield no. 05
Head Armor no. 17 & 21
Torso Armor no. 22 & 23

Bestiary
Beast no. 09 & 19
Bug no. 07 & 11
Demonkind no. 08
Dragonkind no. 08 (the zombie dragon I assume)

So I'm currently trying to complete my journal (god knows why), if anyone was so kind to look through their journal, I would be grateful for any of those names (if there's a comprehensive encyclopedia somewhere, that would also work):

Spear no. 10
Rod no. 12 = Battle Mace
Staff no. 11
Dagger no. 10 = Orichal Dagger
Knuckles no. 06 = Hammer Knuckles
Shield no. 05 = Spiked Shield
Head Armor no. 17 & 21 = Mage's Hat & Headband
Torso Armor no. 22 & 23 = Black Robe & Power Sash

Beast no. 09 & 19
Bug no. 07 & 11
Demonkind no. 08
Dragonkind no. 08 (the zombie dragon I assume) You are correct

I'm leaving journal reading till later, would likely enjoy it a lot lol, I mean I read instruction manuals just cause =P. can only help you that much for now, only chapter 5 XD

GJS

I take it you're in Chapter 4.If so, just -100% encounter it. The boss himself is much easier than the random enemies, and if you are capable of beating him you're going to steamroll through the next couple of chapters anyway.

Gonna need a new party set up still. Derosso seems to be faster than everyone in my party so I'm just fighting a losing battle.

Akito

I'm leaving journal reading till later, would likely enjoy it a lot lol, I mean I read instruction manuals just cause =P. can only help you that much for now, only chapter 5 XD
Turns out I overlook the merchant guy in Starkfort, how embarassing. Thanks a lot, this looks much better already. Still missing:

Staff no. 11

Beast no. 09 & 19
Bug no. 07 & 11
Demonkind no. 08

Weapons & Armors
Spear no. 10 Starkfort shop (Chapter 5+)
Rod no. 12 Starkfort shop
Staff no. 11 Grandship shop (Chapter 5+
not your ship
)
Dagger no. 10 Starkfort shop
Knuckles no. 06 Starkfort shop
Shield no. 05 Starkfort shop
Head Armor no. 17 & 21 Starkfort shop
Torso Armor no. 22 & 23 Starkfort shop

Bestiary
Beast no. 09 & 19 Twilight Ruins & Underflow (both Ch 5+)
Bug no. 07 & 11 Underflow & Twilight Ruins (both Ch 5+)
Demonkind no. 08 Twilight Ruins (Ch 5+)
Dragonkind no. 08 Eternia road &
Dimensional Hasp last floor

Wiki power!

Weapons & Armors
not your ship
)

Bestiary

Wiki power!

what wiki....

Akito

Weapons & Armors
not your ship
)

Bestiary

Wiki power!
Amazing, looks like I don't even have to do a NG+, you're the best.

Sadist

Hmmm... so still about that bossfight at the end of chapter 4...

Spiritmaster isn't working out for me right now, after four turns its defense power disappears. Does anyone else have a good strategy for this fight with Alternis?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Spiritmaster isn't working out for me right now, after four turns its defense power disappears. Does anyone else have a good strategy for this fight with Alternis?

Alternis really shouldn't be giving you trouble.

Imo, the best healer combo is White mage/Superstar. You can buff during turns where you don't need to heal.

My guess is Minus Strike is what is doing you in. He basically does more and more damage with Minus Strike the more health he loses. The best idea here is to buff your P. DEF with Superstar, and keep raising people as they die. Might not be a bad idea to give your nuker a healer job as a back up if you're not able to keep your team alive with one healer.

So, true final chapter completed last night, and Conjurer asterisk attained! Getting it in the last chapter was kind of a pain. Endgame spoilers:
If you want Conjurer in Chapter 8, you have to fight both De Rosso and Yulyana together. Gravija then Meteor, over and over and over. Was made a ton easier by focusing on Yulyana before De Rosso, and dispeling his P.ATK up. He spends more time trying to cast that on himself than doing meteors, giving me time to heal back up. Meteor doesn't even do that much. It's the fucking Gravija that's a pain in the ass.

It occurs to me now that I should have done that fight as a Vampire, though, so I could have gotten Gravija...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah, I did it another way; I used four dark charms and his attacks didn't hit that hard :p

That works too! His other attacks didn't bother me. It was his Minus Strike that was kind of a pain in the ass.

flowsnake

He only kills one person at a time, so I just revive them one by one. I use Salve Maker Compound, Potion + Phoenix Down => revives and heals 6000 or something, High Potion +X-Potion => Reraise. But even that is overkill for him really.

thetrin

is there any point to
fighting the side bosses with the blue markers a third time?

1) Get asterisks you missed out on the first time.

2) Extra challenge. You get different class/boss combinations in later chapters. Some of them are fucking brutal.

3) Character development. You do get to see a different side to many of the boss characters.

Alternis really shouldn't be giving you trouble.

Imo, the best healer combo is White mage/Superstar. You can buff during turns where you don't need to heal.

My guess is Minus Strike is what is doing you in. He basically does more and more damage with Minus Strike the more health he loses. The best idea here is to buff your P. DEF with Superstar, and keep raising people as they die. Might not be a bad idea to give your nuker a healer job as a back up if you're not able to keep your team alive with one healer.

So, true final chapter completed last night, and Conjurer asterisk attained! Getting it in the last chapter was kind of a pain. Endgame spoilers:
If you want Conjurer in Chapter 8, you have to fight both De Rosso and Yulyana together. Gravija then Meteor, over and over and over. Was made a ton easier by focusing on Yulyana before De Rosso, and dispeling his P.ATK up. He spends more time trying to cast that on himself than doing meteors, giving me time to heal back up. Meteor doesn't even do that much. It's the fucking Gravija that's a pain in the ass.

It occurs to me now that I should have done that fight as a Vampire, though, so I could have gotten Gravija...

I'm pretty sure
Gravija
isn't learnable since its not listed in game (and all the other stuff that isn't isn't actually in game content in the Japanese version, it's from the Member's Site / Spotpass instead).

thetrin

I'm pretty sure
Gravija
isn't learnable since its not listed in game (and all the other stuff that isn't isn't actually in game content in the Japanese version, it's from the Member's Site / Spotpass instead).

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I saw that you could learn it in an FAQ.

polg

I played the demo and OMG I need this game. I need to finish a whole lot of things before getting YET another game for the backlog

Sallokin

I played the demo and OMG I need this game. I need to finish a whole lot of things before getting YET another game for the backlog

I bought in on a whim since I heard the JP version included the English translation (and I didn't want to wait for my NA copy to ship to Tokyo in Feb) and I pushed it to the top of my "to play" pile. I don't regret that decision at all. I credit thetrin and RyougaSaotome for doing an excellent job as hype men on twitter. They both had such great things to say about the original.

yatesl

Right at the start of the game, and Tiz is a monk with iron knuckles.

He just one shots everyone with 100+ damage, whilst everyone else defaults because why not

It feels cheap.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I must say I'm not really convinced by this game, expecially the difficulty progression. Easy, and it becomes trivial. Normal, and it's got massive spikes to the point of being unfair.
Yes', i'm talking about the dragon in the cave. I got a hang on the BD system, my team is around level 12, BM, WM, Monk, Knight, mostly Mythril equipment, and I just cant beat him on Normal. If I Default when he attacks I survive for a couple of rounds, but then I have to heal and he kills my WM. I don't want to lower the difficulty first because I know how to play, and second because it just sucks doing so. But I also don't want to grind because levelling up is painfully slow and you shouldn't be required to do such bollocks this early in the game. I've read people saying you need to be at least level 15 or 16, which just plain sucks

meh, just meh

kiryogi

Banned
It's interesting, I've gotten to points where it seemed I'm overpowered, but I run into the spikes and yikes. I don't intentionally grind either. I just do all the subquests and explore a dungeon inside out. That's left me at reasonable levels for every challenge the game has tossed at me. You sort of want to do the subquests considering it's more jobs on top of that. That said, I don't recall what level I was on the Dragon, he was a bit nasty, but I survived.

Sadist

Whhhaaaat

I'm at chapter 5 now and what the flying fudge at the difficulty spike. My party is around level 54/53 and they're getting their asses kicked by monsters outside Florent. Can't I get better equipment or is there a good place to grind?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
there's only one sidequest available afaik, which is the
Thieves' Cave
one, but the bosses obliterated me as well. Maybe I should return there now that i got new equip. That said, i'm not really enjoying this

Leezard

I didn't find the dragon or similar bosses such a big problem, even though they are spikes in difficulty, they are definitely possible to beat by changing strategy. It's difficult to run a single strategy through the whole game, as it most likely cannot handle all bosses.

Leezard

Whhhaaaat

I'm at chapter 5 now and what the flying fudge at the difficulty spike. My party is around level 54/53 and they're getting their asses kicked by monsters outside Florent. Can't I get better equipment or is there a good place to grind?
Florem is the most difficult area in this chapter. You can handle the fire continent better.

Zornica

Banned
[...]But I also don't want to grind because levelling up is painfully slow [...]

no it's not. You do know that you can speed up battles and go to auto-battle-mode, right?
At your level range, gaining a level or two shouldn't take more than a minute.

just arrived at chapter 7
I feel like bill Murray and Kyon atm

But it's not as bad as people say... The party combo/strategy I came up with in chapter 4 helped me get through most of the harder parts. Even with a relatively low level.
It's all about the right strategy, level and equipment are secondary. Which is one thing I really like about this game.

fake ending question:
now that I jumped to the fake ending from chapter 6, is this the earliest part in the game from where you can do that? Or could you even do it sooner than this?

danthefan

I'm only in chapter 2 but I don't really accept the game has unfair difficulty spikes (so far anyway). I was killed a few times (and had one crash) against the
summoner side quest boss
but once I realised the pattern and you know to default at the right time, it became very manageable. I haven't really done much intentional grinding other than to get about 100 job points for a certain skill, what I have done is do all the sidequests available and explored all the dungeons fully, taking all the random battles that have come along.

Sallokin

You mean in visuals, or just in terms of what it does?

Visually. I actually really dig the job, just not the whole romance theme it has. I know this isn't a FF game, but I half expected some design cues from the classic Red Mage (like what the game does with Black and White mages).

danthefan

Question - does your magic attack stat determine how powerful your heals are? Because the White Mage has an affinity for staff weapons, but rods seem to provide much higher magic stats, so I've been using rods so far. I don't really bother with physical attacks with my WM so not concerned about that.

flowsnake

Question - does your magic attack stat determine how powerful your heals are? Because the White Mage has an affinity for staff weapons, but rods seem to provide much higher magic stats, so I've been using rods so far. I don't really bother with physical attacks with my WM so not concerned about that.

It's MND that does that. Either look at that stat directly (it's on the Base Stats tab) or MDEF, because MND increases that stat as well as healing.

INT increases MATK and shouldn't affect healing. The rods are probably increasing this stat.

danthefan

It's MND that does that. Either look at that stat directly (it's on the Base Stats tab) or MDEF, because MND increases that stat as well as healing.

INT increases MATK and shouldn't affect healing. The rods are probably increasing this stat.

Ok thanks.

And I've just unlocked Red Mage, Agnes is my WM currently but can the RM work alright as a main healer? Having all the black magic available too would be sweet but I'm assuming there's some trade-off.

Vortex566

Around ten hours into the game and was justing wonder what people do regarding levelling up jobs. Do people just stick to one single job and level up to max and then switch? I also think every JRPG from now on should have an auto battle and the ability to lower or higher the encounter rate, as it's a work of bloody genius.

danthefan

Around ten hours into the game and was justing wonder what people do regarding levelling up jobs. Do people just stick to one single job and level up to max and then switch? I also think every JRPG from now on should have an auto battle and the ability to lower or higher the encounter rate, as it's a work of bloody genius.

I'm about 13 hours in and there's loads of jobs I haven't touched yet, my party is currently a Knight, WM, Ranger and Thief and it seems to be working fairly well. I've just unlocked Red Mage so might switch my WM over to that if the RM can heal well enough.

FryHole

I got everyone quickly up a few levels with the white and black mages so they could all casr healing and attacking magic, then tended to experiment with a couple of characters and keep two the same for long stretches of time for 'safety' - so I had Edea and Ringabel switching often while Tiz and Agnes built up the black and white mage jobs. Then when I'd find a job I wanted to keep with E & R for a while I'd build them up to the point they could handle themselves with some low level healing and switch the other two around a few times.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

On top of that there's also the job level factor - higher job levels make a given-level magic more powerful. Also, lower-level magic is faster to cast than higher-level magic.

I tend to use whatever's best at the time, then swap over to new favourites.

It helps that I had 2 friends who were way ahead of me, so I could use their Abilinks to fill in the gaps.

thetrin

Early on, I would say go with what jobs you enjoy and what works. You won't be getting enough JP to justify grinding them out. Just use them if you like them.

Near the end of the game, you'll easily be able to grind jobs to max in less than an hour. That's when you should start grinding jobs just for the support abilities. For now, just play what you like. :)

I do recommend trying new ones you get. You might be surprised how much you like one.

Taruranto

Questions about the normal ending:

1)
If I read correctly, I will rolled back to before I destroyed the crystal once I completed it, right?
2)
Do all levels, items, etc gained stay?

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I saw that you could learn it in an FAQ.

Not "I've done the Fight with
Genome Drain"
equipped sure but my
Genome Abilities
entry is Completed and
Gravija
isn't on it (though nor are the 3 elemental -ja spells from the Spotpass bosses) .

Top Bottom