• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Questions about the normal ending:

1)
If I read correctly, I will rolled back to before I destroyed the crystal once I completed it, right?
2)
Do all levels, items, etc gained stay?

1)
Yes, you roll back to before the crystals were awakened.
2)
You keep absolutely everything, even what portions of the last dungeon map you've uncovered.

GeekyDad

Anyone comment on the last portion of the game (without spoilers), as reviewed by NZGamer? Seems like quite a shift in gears. Wondering what gaffers think who have finished it.

Anyone comment on the last portion of the game (without spoilers), as reviewed by NZGamer? Seems like quite a shift in gears. Wondering what gaffers think who have finished it.

In my opinion, it was wholly unnecessary and could have been handled much better.

There are some interesting sidequests and challenging battles if you hang in there.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

What did NZGamer say about the last portion of the game?

In my opinion, it was wholly unnecessary and could have been handled much better.

Disagree. It could have been tuned better, but it's largely necessary thematically, and it ended up being a real mind bender. I thought the last portion was brilliant. Some of the party chat segments that roll into the themes of that last portion are great, too.

The last portion of the game is what pushed it from being a good game to an utterly brilliant one (even if there's one part that could have been handled better).

This is hard to describe without spoilers but I'm going to try.

I've been largely enjoying it but it certainly could have been handled better by evolving things better/more consistently (both story wise and game play). The story revelations and combat changes are handled well, when they are done, but sometimes there's no sense of progression in either and that certainly does drag on things.

GeekyDad

What did NZGamer say about the last portion of the game?

Something to the effect of having to re-trudge the same dungeons and bosses about five times over, with a particularly noticeable difficulty spike at that point in the game that makes the retreading that much more trying of one's patience.

thetrin

Something to the effect of having to re-trudge the same dungeons and bosses about five times over, with a particularly noticeable difficulty spike at that point in the game that makes the retreading that much more trying of one's patience.

I hate to be the one to say this, but "that's the point". I can't explain without spoiling, but it's supposed to try people's patience, and it's supposed to make things drag. Sure, that doesn't make for a fun game all the time, but it's purposeful.

Disagree. It could have been tuned better, but it's largely necessary thematically, and it ended up being a real mind bender.

I don't disagree with you. Maybe it's better if I reversed my sentence.

"In my opinion, it could have been handled much better--as it stands, it was wholly unnecessary."

If you can't do a concept right, just don't do it, is what I say. Also, if the point is to make the game unenjoyable, then that kills the purpose of the game, as games are meant to be fun...

Well, you don't really have to do the same dungeons and even if you had to, you can set encounter rate to zero anyway.

The bosses also get gradually stronger, so it's not a massive jump I think.

thetrin

I don't disagree with you. Maybe it's better if I reversed my sentence.

"In my opinion, it could have been handled much better--as it stands, it was wholly unnecessary."

If you can't do a concept right, just don't do it, is what I say.

That's what I disagree with, actually. The way it was handled could have been better, but it's still better than them not doing it at all.

Akito

Just defeated the 100 lvl nemesis, awesome music and design but the fight in itself was way too easy unfortunately. I've also completed the journal so I'm pretty much done with this game. Those were 100 hours well spent, this could have been an instant classic for me if not for the second half of the game. Still a very solid JRPG and the best one SE has put out for years.
PS: the bonus video was excellent and did a fine job of hyping me up for the sequel.

There definitely is a difficulty spike that can be quite surprising initially but the best levelling area in the game opens up and there are enemies with really cheesy exploitable weaknesses as a stop-gap measure if you can't handle that.

So the spike doesn't last long, and it flattens out pretty much immediately. It's more of a curve that becomes a series of step function than a spike.

Just defeated the 100 lvl nemesis, awesome music and design but the fight in itself was way too easy unfortunately. I've also completed the journal so I'm pretty much done with this game. Those were 100 hours well spent, this could have been an instant classic for me if not for the second half of the game. Still a very solid JRPG and the best one SE has put out for years.
PS: the bonus video was excellent and did a fine job of hyping me up for the sequel.

Way too easy? What was your setup? Tell me...

Yeah the bonus video was awesome. Really made me feel awesome for owning a 3DS.

darkziosj

Yes the chapters 5-8 were long but (ending spoilers)
it's not that bad really, it ties with the story and they add new dialogue in each world so it's not like it's exactly the same and man that final fight is just worth, i think i have a new favorite last boss i mean the guy destroys worls ffs

thetrin

Yes the chapters 5-8 were long but (ending spoilers)
it's not that bad really, it ties with the story and they add new dialogue in each world so it's not like it's exactly the same and man that final fight is just worth, i think i have a new favorite last boss i mean the guy destroys worls ffs

The
last boss is great, and I love that you get to see what the team from your abilink worlds are doing as you're fighting. That last boss is fucking epic as hell.

To be fair,
the whole point of the second half is to make you question whether you're doing something wrong, because it FEELS like you keep restarting everything. You're supposed to think "man....i think I need to break the cycle", forcing the player to break the crystal to stop what's going on.

What level 100 Nemesis ? Is it new ? Turtle Dove is Level 99. And it's been kicking my behind too, with my usual team. I can wear it down pretty well but then it starts spamming Triangular and giving itself a whole bunch of free turns more or less at random. Unless Esuna/Remedy actually removes Love , in which case I'm going to swear a lot about misleading descriptions.

Zornica

Banned
just arrived at chapter 8 and I have to agree with thetrin

after experiencing the fake ending, the slog through chap 6-8 really helps immersing yourself and you feel what the party feels. Its like
bill murrays self destructive phase in ground hog day. You just want to give up but you have to keep going only to get disapointed again and again.
It's brilliantly cruel and boring, but I kinda like it.

What level 100 Nemesis ? Is it new ? Turtle Dove is Level 99. And it's been kicking my behind too, with my usual team. I can wear it down pretty well but then it starts spamming Triangular and giving itself a whole bunch of free turns more or less at random. Unless Esuna/Remedy actually removes Love , in which case I'm going to swear a lot about misleading descriptions.

Esuna doesn't work sadly, nor does Remedy.

I gave everyone Stand Ground and Rise from the Dead, since around the halfway mark, the boss goes brutal and will almost definitely kill someone.

One time, it made three characters fall in love, then killed all three in one turn. I wanted to break something X D

thetrin

just arrived at chapter 8 and I have to agree with thetrin

after experiencing the fake ending, the slog through chap 6-8 really helps immersing yourself and you feel what the party feels. Its like
bill murrays self destructive phase in ground hog day. You just want to give up but you have to keep going only to get disapointed again and again.
It's brilliantly cruel and boring, but I kinda like it.

I will fully admit that it's not "fun", and eliciting those emotions doesn't make for a great game all the time, but it's strangely brilliant in its execution.

Sadist

Anyone have a tip for grinding exp for jobs in chapter 5?

I maxed out my white and black mage, knight and Valkyrie. But gaining more points with other jobs... is quite difficult.

Is it possible to purchase this game from aus 3ds using a euro account?

Yes but you can also get it from the Australian eshop.

Thanks to the NNID if you buy it from the European shop you're basically committing to buying from that country in Europe from now on (and if you own a Wii U that commitment extends to it too unless you keep their accounts separate).

I maxed out my white and black mage, knight and Valkyrie. But gaining more points with other jobs... is quite difficult.

Do you have the Growth Egg (doubles exp and JP) from rebuilding Norende? It costs a lot, but if you have a Mammom (Nemesis) with a stealable Elixir, you're all sorted for cash.

What I did was just spam Firestorm (Vampire) or Obliterate (Summoner) outside Florem.

Akito

Way too easy? What was your setup? Tell me...

Yeah the bonus video was awesome. Really made me feel awesome for owning a 3DS.

Sorry, it was the lvl 99 Turtle Dove. My setup:
Tiz, Ringabel & Edea: Freelancer with Double Shield, BP Limit Up & P.Defense 30% Up. Tiz and Ringabel had the Chivalry job command while Edea had the Medication one. (Only because I maxed out every job, a Knight with Double Shield, BP Limit Up & P.Defense 30% Up + the Miscellany Job Command would work just as fine.)
Agnès was a healer, no special setup with her.

I was using the first few rounds defaulting with Tiz and Ringabel to build up BP, Agnès was healing whenever necessary and Edea compounding Giant's Draft (Beast Liver + Dragon Fang) and doubling everyone's HP. After that do one Super Charge with either Tiz or Ringabel, default with everyone else and coming next round unleash 16 x Mimic (which equals ~140k damage with the best equipment) and another round of 16 x Mimic after that. With nearly 20k HP you can easily endure 2 or three rounds without healing. After the second round of the Mimic onslaught, heal during this time and wait until you have enough BP again, rinse and repeat. Love is still annoying and may reduce your damage output but it's only a matter of time until the dove is down, not one of my characters died during the entire fight.

Get the Growth Egg and head for the 2nd or 3rd screen in
Florem Gardens
, you should be able to clear all the battles fairly reliably by having 2 melee types Brave once and use Crescent Move twice each, and the group of
8 Rafflesia gives maximum JP if you can keep unscathed running
, the rest of the group can just Default.

The
hamadryads
may cause a problem though, so you may want to keep someone who can mass cure
sleep with a null sleep accessory
in case they show up. Once you're in chapter 6 and have it , this is an excellent place to grind using
Obliterate
too.

If that area's too hard for you , go to third continent, pretty much everything is
undead
so if you stay close to one of the two towns you can easily get a few levels under your belt by spamming
Curaga
and running back to town to rest when you're out of MP.

Sadist

Do you have the Growth Egg (doubles exp and JP) from rebuilding Norende? It costs a lot, but if you have a Mammom (Nemesis) with a stealable Elixir, you're all sorted for cash.

What I did was just spam Firestorm (Vampire) or Obliterate (Summoner) outside Florem.
Nope to both. How do you get the growth egg? Which shop?

Haven't used the other classes much :(

Nope to both. How do you get the growth egg? Which shop?

Haven't used the other classes much :(

Growth Egg is gotten from the Level 10 Accessory shop, I believe. You buy it from the Adventurer (save guy) who you can find everywhere.

If you haven't already, try to update data every day so you get net-invites, which adds to your Norende population (thus speeding up the rebuilding) and gives you new Nemeses. Then pray you get sent a Level 25 Mammon.

Akito

To be fair,
the whole point of the second half is to make you question whether you're doing something wrong, because it FEELS like you keep restarting everything. You're supposed to think "man....i think I need to break the cycle", forcing the player to break the crystal to stop what's going on.
I don't question the idea behind it but I felt like the execution was really lacking.
They also could have easily cut down the time you have to repeat the game by half and still achieved the same thing.

Esuna doesn't work sadly, nor does Remedy.

I gave everyone Stand Ground and Rise from the Dead, since around the halfway mark, the boss goes brutal and will almost definitely kill someone.

One time, it made three characters fall in love, then killed all three in one turn. I wanted to break something X D

I've had it use Triangular to make 2 characters fall in love with a 3rd, then use Fall in Love on the 3rd, causing them to fall in love with one of the ones in love with them, meaning all 3 of those characters couldn't act.

Zornica

Banned
so... finally arrived at the "end"

I am kinda baffled that these idiots still believe they are doing the right thing...

I hope there's going to be another major twist... because I solved this puzzle about 4 chapters ago.
Let's see if I am right

edit: god... those guys are idiots -_-
I don't get how they could've forgotten about everything that happened in chapter 5/6...

thetrin

I don't question the idea behind it but I felt like the execution was really lacking.
They also could have easily cut down the time you have to repeat the game by half and still achieved the same thing.
I totally agree with this.
They really wanted to bury that true ending, though. You're supposed to want to break the crystals.

thetrin

so... finally arrived at the "end"

I am kinda baffled that these idiots still believe they are doing the right thing...

I hope there's going to be another major twist... because I solved this puzzle about 4 chapters ago.
Let's see if I am right

Technically,
they're just a reflection of your actions. They think it's the right thing because you think it's the right thing. When you do the fake ending, that is them realizing it's not right to do just as you realize it. Don't you yourself feel stupid for awakening the crystals when it's clearly the wrong thing to do?

thetrin

Cool, thanks. How does it decide what to do? Just goes for your last actions that you did manually?

Yeah. It just repeats your last set of actions until you turn it off, as long as you have the BP/MP to perform said actions. This counts for Braving as well. You can brave 3 times, do 4 actions, then auto. The next time you have the BP to do so, you will automatically brave 3 times and then do those same 4 actions.

This is really helpful for grinding.

You can also turn off auto any time (even while walking around in the overworld) by hitting Y again.

Oxx

Yikes, I just destroyed the
poison salve-maker
in chapter 3 in a single-turn.

I might be slightly over-powered.

Zornica

Banned
Technically,
they're just a reflection of your actions. They think it's the right thing because you think it's the right thing. When you do the fake ending, that is them realizing it's not right to do just as you realize it. Don't you yourself feel stupid for awakening the crystals when it's clearly the wrong thing to do?

this is exactly why I think the fake ending should be the real one.
no one can possibly be this stupid... at least I hope.

The real ending is SO FUCKING GOOD, though. Just finish it.

what do you think I am doing right now? :p
edit: the fucking bug is dead, moving on...

thetrin

The real ending is SO FUCKING GOOD, though. Just finish it.

Sadist

Accessory shop, level 10, the Level 9 is the Golden Egg, which is good for grinding pg instead.

Growth Egg is gotten from the Level 10 Accessory shop, I believe. You buy it from the Adventurer (save guy) who you can find everywhere.

If you haven't already, try to update data every day so you get net-invites, which adds to your Norende population (thus speeding up the rebuilding) and gives you new Nemeses. Then pray you get sent a Level 25 Mammon.
Thanks!

I just recieved two Mammom's btw hehe.

FryHole

The whole problem could probably be solved with a few cutscenes.
Considering the game has established that prayers can be heard across time and space through the joined worlds, surely all it takes is a message from the fake ending heroes reaching the current set advising them that breaking the crystals didn't solve everything, and based on this the heroes decided to play along in order to confront the true evil. Yes? No?

danthefan

Yeah. It just repeats your last set of actions until you turn it off, as long as you have the BP/MP to perform said actions. This counts for Braving as well. You can brave 3 times, do 4 actions, then auto. The next time you have the BP to do so, you will automatically brave 3 times and then do those same 4 actions.

This is really helpful for grinding.

You can also turn off auto any time (even while walking around in the overworld) by hitting Y again.

I cannot believe I didn't know about this until now.

aravuus

The whole problem could probably be solved with a few cutscenes.
Considering the game has established that prayers can be heard across time and space through the joined worlds, surely all it takes is a message from the fake ending heroes reaching the current set advising them that breaking the crystals didn't solve everything, and based on this the heroes decided to play along in order to confront the true evil. Yes? No?

I think there are quite a lot of ways to fix the dumb latter chapters, and yours would be one of the simpler ones. But what's done is done I guess, no use crying over spilt milk.

mauaus

Yes but you can also get it from the Australian eshop.

Thanks to the NNID if you buy it from the European shop you're basically committing to buying from that country in Europe from now on (and if you own a Wii U that commitment extends to it too unless you keep their accounts separate).
Thanks for the tip, so if i buy from the au eshop i can continue to purchase from my Canada account normally?
Edit: also, how much is it?

Thanks for the tip, so if i buy from the au eshop i can continue to purchase from my Canada account normally?
Edit: also, how much is it?

You can't use a Canada account on a 3DS that has access to European or Australian stores (or vice versa). The Canada 3DSs are the same as the Americans one and locked to Canada or the US (just like the traditional PAL region ones are locked to Europe/Australia).

Zornica

Banned
last chapter question:

the old guy said something about weapons hidden somewhere in some cave... but there is no marker on the map? I can't recall which cave he meant...

FryHole

last chapter question:

the old guy said something about weapons hidden somewhere in some cave... but there is no marker on the map? I can't recall which cave he meant...

Up north, I believe it's the island within the crescent shaped island. Bonus dungeon, full of bastards.

Top Bottom