• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

mauaus

You can't use a Canada account on a 3DS that has access to European or Australian stores (or vice versa). The Canada 3DSs are the same as the Americans one and locked to Canada or the US (just like the traditional PAL region ones are locked to Europe/Australia).
Ffs im shit out of luck then it's the only 3ds i have.. February it is!

MLH

My game just froze on me, [Chapter 7 spoiler] in the fight against
Barbarossa, Yulyana & Mephilia. Mephilia summoned Susano-o
and it froze just as the summon ended. First time that has ever happened, no buttons responded so I had to hold the power button to switch it off. Has it happened to anyone else?

Sorry, it was the lvl 99 Turtle Dove. My setup:
Tiz, Ringabel & Edea: Freelancer with Double Shield, BP Limit Up & P.Defense 30% Up. Tiz and Ringabel had the Chivalry job command while Edea had the Medication one. (Only because I maxed out every job, a Knight with Double Shield, BP Limit Up & P.Defense 30% Up + the Miscellany Job Command would work just as fine.)
Thanks, I tried that and it made the fight much easier.

Now I have 4 unearthly buns : D

Thanks!

I just recieved two Mammom's btw hehe.

Oh yeah, somebody mentioned it right after, but there are actually two Mammoms-- there's no physical difference between them, but one has a stealable Elixir and the other a stealable Ether.

It's the Elixir you're after--if you find it, just keep stealing and running away (Rob Blind is great as you can rob two Elixirs per battle) and you'll amass a ton of Elixirs, which you can then sell for a high price (more if you use the Merchant's item-selling ability).

GJS

Is there ever anything worth stealing from Orthros. I just killed it in chapter 5 but forgot to steal.

flowsnake

Question about crystals in Chapter 6:
I tried to break one but I don't think it was working. Does it have to be the first crystal you do?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Question about crystals in Chapter 6:
I tried to break one but I don't think it was working. Does it have to be the first crystal you do?

It can be any of them. Just don't stop pressing X, no matter how much Airy protests.

flowsnake

It can be any of them. Just don't stop pressing X, no matter how much Airy protests.

I tried it on the final one. Airy stopped complaining after the first time, and nothing happened no matter how much I pressed X. I then did the first one in Chapter 7 and it was completely different and initiated the cutscenes.

So I'm pretty sure you're wrong, sorry.

Edit: WTFF

Zornica

Banned
so... just beat it.
The last boss wouldn't be so bad but those stupid cut scenes broke my strategy all the time. I don't think that's really fair... They take all you buffs and BP and leave you with low health... thx game -_-, that's exactly what I needed.
The last phase in particular is pretty unfair...
started with hardly any health from the last Armageddon (is it non-elemental damage?) and got bombarded with dozens of attacks in the first round... everyone died, except tiz, who got de-buffed and couldn't do anything but default or summon.
So, if the game wants to play dirty, I can too.
Thanks to whoever sent the 300k dmg water spell!

Frolow

Banned
So, a few questions from someone on the fence:

1. How bad is the grinding in the game? I hate putting time into games where nothing gets accomplished other than mindless grinding.
2. How long is the game?
3. Is 100% possible? On the same note, are any items/sidequests permanently missable?

Leezard

1. How bad is the grinding in the game? I hate putting time into games where nothing gets accomplished other than mindless grinding.
2. How long is the game?
3. Is 100% possible? On the same note, are any items/sidequests permanently missable?

I did not need to grind at all during the main story. Some bosses get difficulty spikes, but you can (in my experience) always beat them by changing strategy.

krossj

Chapter 4/ 5 question
If I enter the pillar of white, south west after the fourth temple, will the DeRosso vampire sidequest still be available? I tried his castle a couple of times and just found it tedious. Currently level 60

Zornica

Banned

2. How long is the game?

1. you probably won't need to grind, but if you must, it's mostly pretty quick and seemless. There is a fast forward button, also an option for auto battle. Took me about 30 minutes to grind ~15 level after reaching the end-game

2. just finished in 64:26 - but I skiped most of the 2nd half stuff.

3. yes, you can 100% it, and I don't think there is anything to miss.

Chapter 4/ 5 question
If I enter the pillar of white, south west after the fourth temple, will the DeRosso vampire sidequest still be available? I tried his castle a couple of times and just found it tedious. Currently level 60

It should be, yes

1. you probably won't need to grind, but if you must, it's mostly pretty quick and seemless. There is a fast forward button, also an option for auto battle. Took me about 30 minutes to grind ~15 level after reaching the end-game

2. just finished in 64:26 - but I skiped most of the 2nd half stuff.

3. yes, you can 100% it, and I don't think there is anything to miss.

It should be, yes

I believe there's a handful of steal items and drops that can be missed (mainly from Chapter 5/6/7/8 optional bosses). Most of them you can get at least 1 copy of from other locations though but those steals/drops are the only way to get more than that. I think a couple of them are actually unique though I wouldn't swear it.

flowsnake

Kind of looking forward to seeing how the Chapter 7 and 8
asterisk bearers are different
but I think I'll have a break from the game first.

Exentryk

In Chapter 5 right now. Let's review some OP job setups:

1. BP recovery setup (How do I hold all this BP)
2. My Hero - Mime (Restore some BP)
3. Ninja/Swordfencer - Frenetic Fightning + Precision + Hawkeye. Then use Ikkikasei followed by conventional Attacks. Equip dual katanas for high crit rate and enjoy the insane damage.
4. Pirate/Swordmaster - Free Lunch + Amped Strike x 7 (using 8 BP. Lots of damage.)
5. Epic Group Cast + Holy One (High healing potential even with weak spells like Cure and Cura.)

6. Dark Knight/Vampire? - I am still just maxing these jobs out so am yet to experiment here.

Got any more? Please share :D

Aeana

3. Ninja/Swordfencer - Frenetic Fightning + Precision + Hawkeye. Then use Ikkikasei followed by conventional Attacks. Equip dual katanas for high crit rate and enjoy the insane damage.
4. Pirate/Swordmaster - Free Lunch + Amped Strike x 7 (using 8 BP. Lots of damage.)
5. Epic Group Cast + Holy One (High healing potential even with weak spells like Cure and Cura.)

6. Dark Knight/Vampire? - I am still just maxing these jobs out so am yet to experiment here.

While it may not be the speediest way, vampire's blood thirst ability is a very safe way to fight most battles unless they're against undead. Pair that with vampire's rise from dead ability and you don't really need a healer. There's a couple of bosses where it doesn't work as well, though, and it doesn't have a prayer against the game's super boss. But it's not a bad way to get through something if you're feeling lazy.

Exentryk

While it may not be the speediest way, vampire's blood thirst ability is a very safe way to fight most battles unless they're against undead. Pair that with vampire's rise from dead ability and you don't really need a healer. There's a couple of bosses where it doesn't work as well, though, and it doesn't have a prayer against the game's super boss. But it's not a bad way to get through something if you're feeling lazy.

Might give this a crack. Also got another one:

Spiritmaster (Adaption x 4) + 3 Dark Knights (Dark Nebula x 12) = 120k damage in one turn.

Aeana

Finally went through and finished the true ending after putting it off for a while. The new movie that teases Bravely Second got me super hyped.

Gambit

Spoiler Question about the whole thing, although I am only now on Chapter 5:

I got spoiled and now know that I have to run through the game another time after Chapter 5. I also read that fighting all the side-bosses gives you more backstory on them.
My question is: Do I have to fight them every single time to get the whole story or is it enough to do it in the final run-through?
Do you get information A about them up to chapter 4, information B in chapter 5, information C in chapter 6, etc. Or do I get the full picture in the very, very last encounter. information A,B,C,D in chapter 7 ?

Leezard

I got spoiled and now know that I have to run through the game another time after Chapter 5. I also read that fighting all the side-bosses gives you more backstory on them.
My question is: Do I have to fight them every single time to get the whole story or is it enough to do it in the final run-through?
Do you get information A about them up to chapter 4, information B in chapter 5, information C in chapter 6, etc. Or do I get the full picture in the very, very last encounter. information A,B,C,D in chapter 7 ?
This way:
you get information A about them up to chapter 4, information B in chapter 5, information C in chapter 6, etc.

Zornica

Banned

From what I could gather, they pretty much changed every chapter... But I haven't fought them, so don't take my word for it.

Gambit

This way:
you get information A about them up to chapter 4, information B in chapter 5, information C in chapter 6, etc.

That's what I feared. Guess I gotta go the full monty. Thanks for the help.

edit: Job class spoiler
Vampire Ringabel looks incredibly cool!

FryHole

That's what I feared. Guess I gotta go the full monty. Thanks for the help.

If it helps your resolve,
they start mixing up the battles themselves after a while so you're not just fighting the same fights again and again for a bit of new dialogue

Gambit

If it helps your resolve,
they start mixing up the battles themselves after a while so you're not just fighting the same fights again and again for a bit of new dialogue

Thanks, I will try my best. At least I can max my jobs that way. Also, what's a good place to grind in chapter 5?

One last thing: All the asterisk holders are beautifully designed. I'd almost rather play a game about them than boring-ass Agnés.

My favourite grinding spot was an island north of Florem, has both a beach and icy section. I'd run around on the beach with an Arcanist/Black Mage combo and cast poison*2 (in case of any misses) then Exterminate, then use a melee character to mop up (I used a monk with Hidden Dragon so he'd only go at the end of the turn if Exterminate had failed to wipe everyone out in one go, preserving the sweeper bonus if possible). Groups of 6 Rafflesia (spelling?) abound in that area, offering up nearly 500 JP when you get a good bonus run going (and double that with a growth egg). Make sure your characters are protected from sleep, because there's also Hamadryads about and if they get to go first they can cause trouble.

Thanks, mate. I shall try it right away

FryHole

Thanks, I will try my best. At least I can max my jobs that way. Also, what's a good place to grind in chapter 5?

One last thing: All the asterisk holders are beautifully designed. I'd almost rather play a game about them than boring-ass Agnés.

My favourite grinding spot was an island north of Florem, has both a beach and icy section. I'd run around on the beach with an Arcanist/Black Mage combo and cast poison*2 (in case of any misses) then Exterminate, then use a melee character to mop up (I used a monk with Hidden Dragon so he'd only go at the end of the turn if Exterminate had failed to wipe everyone out in one go, preserving the sweeper bonus if possible). Groups of 6 Rafflesia (spelling?) abound in that area, offering up nearly 500 JP when you get a good bonus run going (and double that with a growth egg). Make sure your characters are protected from sleep, because there's also Hamadryads about and if they get to go first they can cause trouble.

Zornica

Banned

I just stepped outside florem and went in a circle. It's pretty easy to grind there.
There are only 3 things you should consider:

- you need a fast party
- you need 2 damage dealers who should be able to at least hit for 5k dmg per hit.
- If you can't kill them in your first round, they'll most likely kill you

the setup I used:

Whitemage on default, 2 fast Physical damage (I used a Range and a Pirate) dealer with sword magic (fire) and a swordmaster/dancer with a speed boost(no mana spell + speed and attack dances).
Killed everything in 1 round easily

Mononoke

Banned
Once I get my hands on a 3DS XL Japan region console, can I use my American credit card and buy stuff on the E Shop? I'm guessing no due to currency difference and the region of my card. So I just buy physical imports correct?

And no lol I'm not doing this just for this game alone. My brother recently moved to Japan and got me one as a gift.

Just some near (?) ending questions that may have been answered but I don't want to ruin my game :

- Is there a way to miss the real ending ? Can I see both with one save ?

- I'm at the chapter when you have to kill again every boss. Obviously the team is doing something wrong (can't figure out what right now). Are there missable events in this chapter ?

- For the game ending, what would you advise as job configuration for the team ?

- Lastly : can I miss the blue chests ? Still can't open them by now :(

Many thanks !

Aeana

Once I get my hands on a 3DS XL Japan region console, can I use my American credit card and buy stuff on the E Shop? I'm guessing no due to currency difference and the region of my card. So I just buy physical imports correct?

And no lol I'm not doing this just for this game alone. My brother recently moved to Japan and got me one as a gift.
You can use an American card.

FryHole

Just some near (?) ending questions that may have been answered but I don't want to ruin my game :

- Is there a way to miss the real ending ? Can I see both with one save ? You can see both with one save, and it's probably easier to miss the alternative ending!

- I'm at the chapter when you have to kill again every boss. Obviously the team is doing something wrong (can't figure out what right now). Are there missable events in this chapter ? As long as you follow the blue markers you shouldn't miss anything.

- For the game ending, what would you advise as job configuration for the team ? I used two monks, a ninja and a spirit master/white mage, but that's by no means optimum, I'm sure. I was just very overpowered by then and thumped everyone into submission.

- Lastly : can I miss the blue chests ? Still can't open them by now : it's very hard to miss them, you'll know it when you see it(

Many thanks !

- Is there a way to miss the real ending ? Can I see both with one save ?

- I'm at the chapter when you have to kill again every boss. Obviously the team is doing something wrong (can't figure out what right now). Are there missable events in this chapter ?

- For the game ending, what would you advise as job configuration for the team ?

- Lastly : can I miss the blue chests ? Still can't open them by now :(

Many thanks !
there's some missable event that depends on the sequence you did the sidequest and there's some event that doesn't noted as blue marker but still recorded in the event viewer like talking to the King Caldisla in every chapter

Gambit

I just stepped outside florem and went in a circle. It's pretty easy to grind there.
There are only 3 things you should consider:

- you need a fast party
- you need 2 damage dealers who should be able to at least hit for 5k dmg per hit.
- If you can't kill them in your first round, they'll most likely kill you

the setup I used:

Whitemage on default, 2 fast Physical damage (I used a Range and a Pirate) dealer with sword magic (fire) and a swordmaster/dancer with a speed boost(no mana spell + speed and attack dances).
Killed everything in 1 round easily

Thanks again. I just learned that some Blue Magic can only be learned from enemies in chapter 4! Darn, I guess I shouldn't have advanced yet.

flowsnake

Not exactly broken, but
Steady MP Recovery from Conjurer is awesome and seems to heal more MP than I use.

Kater

Banned
Finally got some time again after being at my parents/ grandparents house and being sick. I finally advanced to Chapter 4, yay.
The
Fire
Temple was fairly easy, surprisingly. I had more problems with the girl
on the bridge

magnetic

Man, the job system is easily the biggest draw for me. It´s crazy how flexible it is.

Right now the two boys in my party are ninjas, because their crazy dodging skills and their sweet outfits are just so incredibly good. But I also love bows! So I just add bow lore. But I also love elemental attacks! Oh wait, I can just subclass as spell fencer, set that shit on fire. Now those two can rip through almost anything while dodge physical attacks like crazy.

The character and costume design is also out of this world. There are some designs I don´t really like (the furry hats of the rangers being my least favourite), but most of them look incredible - Agnes looks super cute as a summoner, but also very adorable as a thief. The red mage designs are also gorgeous. I find myself actually using the battle pause feature a lot, just to check out the designs and the animation frames.

Sure, some of the designs are pretty revealing, but on the other hand, it always feels so classy, some sort of charming, sexy way, much more tasteful than the usual body-pillow stench some of the generic pandering panty shot anime crap has to offer.

The combat system also gets more and more interesting the more I wrap my head around it, the sound effects are very satisfying, the little dances they do when the battle s start never get old...

...I think I love this game more and more the longer I play it, which happens extremely rarely for me. I think I might have finally found that one game that I can sink over 100 hours into without getting absolutely sick of it.

Uhm..
Ok i'm only three hours in, and maybe this will turn out a stupid worry but....
Brave make normal battle more an exercising of patience than a real fight..
They could as well give you an optional to autobattle

aravuus

Uhm..
Ok i'm only three hours in, and maybe this will turn out a stupid worry but....
Brave make normal battle more an exercising of patience than a real fight..
They could as well give you an optional to autobattle

Not sure I get what you're trying to say, but there is auto-battle. Press Y in-battle to turn it on. Do note that it actually repeats what you did with all the characters, though.

Kater

Banned
That's some really nice merchandise that you've got there, Lord Ghirahim.

Btw, the OST and Artbook are incredibly good. I hope they continue to work with the same people on the sequels.

Mendrox

Finished everything now (including the avaiable Nemesis, optional Dungeon and everything else) in about 43 hours without skipping any dialogues.

Game is very easy because of Auto Battle, 4 times speed, difficulty slider and keeping the monster rate to zero with the options. I don't even want to think about all the japanese people that didn't have these options because they are fortunatly there to keep your motivation up the roof. Without these options I would have never finished this game at all.

dang... I wonder if this is available other than SQEX store :|

That's some really nice merchandise that you've got there, Lord Ghirahim.

Btw, the OST and Artbook are incredibly good. I hope they continue to work with the same people on the sequels.

They are... since the Ba'al theme is done by Revo & its related to Bravely Second, I'm 100% sure he'll involved in it. As for Yoshida, everyone knows he's still the main designer in the sequel

Top Bottom