• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

magnetic

Finished everything now (including the avaiable Nemesis, optional Dungeon and everything else) in about 43 hours without skipping any dialogues.

Game is very easy because of Auto Battle, 4 times speed, difficulty slider and keeping the monster rate to zero with the options. I don't even want to think about all the japanese people that didn't have these options because they are fortunatly there to keep your motivation up the roof. Without these options I would have never finished this game at all.

I will never again play any RPG that doesn´t have all of these three things:

___

-Quick battles with good autobattle options. I want to spend my time making decisions, not waiting for a dog and pony show to be played out every single time

-Difficulty setting that can be changed at any point of the game (because nothing is more demoralizing than spending 20 hours on a game only to realize that it´s either way too hard or way too easy)

-No random battles every five steps, which means either an easily obtainable repel option early on or just being able to turn them off completely like in this game, or "on field" enemies that can be easily dodged

___

Etrian Odyssey 1 & 2 are completely unplayable to me these days simply because the battles just move too slowly. There´s always this weird delay between each action, this annoying hesitation that just doesn´t need to be there. FF Tactics Advance 2 was the single worst game I´ve ever seen in that regard - a very nice looking game, ruined completely by snail-paced battles. Pokemon X&Y was just barely acceptable to me.

SMT Strange Journey and SMTIV are on the other end of the spectrum, super quick battles. Soul Hackers 3DS and The Dark Spire occasionally even make them go by TOO fast if you´re not paying attention.

And I agree, I would never, ever, not in a million years played and loved this game so much if it wasn´t for these tweaks! Surely these will be included in Bravely Second, right?

dang... I wonder if this is available other than SQEX store :|

They are... since the Ba'al theme is done by Revo & its related to Bravely Second, I'm 100% sure he'll involved in it. As for Yoshida, everyone knows he's still the main designer in the sequel

Well, some of the costumes and monster designs aren't actually done by him, although I think he still has to approve them, if I'm understanding what he says in the artbook correctly. I think it's really cool that the game brought in so many people famed in various parts of otaku culture (not quite the word I'm looking for, but I think you get my meaning) (Stein's Gate's writer for the story, Revo for the music, various manga artists for job designs) to form a cohesive whole.

Surely these will be included in Bravely Second, right?

They definitely will be, FTS was touted as being a preview of the enhancements that will be incorporated in the next game.

magnetic

Also, add Fire Emblem: Awakening to the fast list : P

Yeah, I love all the options in FE:A as well! Sometimes I want the full package - all the nicely crafted, epic battle scenes, but sometimes I want just some quick pace on the field. I love that you can even completely skip the enemies turn, even if that means you could potentially miss some important moves your enemies made.

I feel that this amount of control over the game is a relatively new thing in games, and as someone who has relatively little patience with games these days, it´s easily one of the best trends in recent years.

It also really shows that the foundations of JRPG still are very enjoyable these days - first and foremost turn-based battles, which some claim are relict of the past, which I don´t agree with at all. I´m just glad I can decide to cut all the tedious nonsense and just spend as much time as possible with what I actually care about.

Kater

Banned
dang... I wonder if this is available other than SQEX store :|

They are... since the Ba'al theme is done by Revo & its related to Bravely Second, I'm 100% sure he'll involved in it. As for Yoshida, everyone knows he's still the main designer in the sequel
Good to know! I didn't follow the Bravely Second news too closely and I have not even seen one picture of it (since I don't want anything getting spoiled for me).

Mononoke

Banned
You can use an American card.

That's actually pretty awesome! I know it's not the norm for Japanese edition of games to have both languages. In fact, I only know of Bravely Default and Pokemon X & Y. In the past I've imported Japanese games for Vita (and other systems before that), and just fumbled through the games not understanding anything.

Guess that's going to happen with this. On the plus side, I guess it will be cool to have a back up system that can play games that won't ever come to the states, or certain games that I can play much earlier (I probably won't play games that are heavy on story, even if they come out months earlier). Since my bro is going to be living their perm, maybe I should just start learning some Japanese. lol Actually going to visit him in a couple months. Should be fun.

Anyways, just going to buy this on the E-shop then. Can't wait to play it.

Kater

Banned
To CE or not to CE, that is the question. How does NA's CE compare to Europe? Anyone know?
NA is getting the superior Collectors Edition so I'd say go for it. It's much cheaper as the European CE as well (jokingly ranting:
because the statue that was included in the European CE is apparently worth money, lol SE
).

There is also a bigger artbook and the full OST available on Amazon.jp and on some other sites.

Well I'm now in Chapter 7, with only one
3-boss battle
left to do. I've done every optional bosses until now, and I plan on continuing in the chapter(s) after that.
I like seeing another side to the Eternian forces :)

I still need to get every blue chests, I did not visit any place other than those with sidequests since I got the key.

Taruranto

Got the Normal Ending.

I know it's not the whole story but meh, can't say I liked the plot very much or that it left a strong impression on me or anything.
__Airy___
makes a rather entertaining villain, if anything.

darkziosj

Got the Normal Ending.

I know it's not the whole story but meh, can't say I liked the plot very much or that it left a strong impression on me or anything.
__Airy___
makes a rather entertaining villain, if anything.

The normal is just meh, no resolution, no answers, no epic fight just meh.

jercruz

True ending spoiler

So who is that OTHER fairy thanking you for dealing with Airy?

And I take it this time she's really good?

Taruranto

CH7

Methinks the requirements for the True Ending don't make much sense, it should have been the other way around
disobeying gets you the true ending, playing around like an idiot gets you the normal one.

Just got the normal ending, and I did it in one go from chapter 8 so I didn't really have the time to test some things, and I'd like the answers before I try for the true ending.

My question has to do with optional bosses in chapter 8 and then in final chapter:

If I do the optional bosses in chapter 8 then go to the true final chapter, do they respawn as if it was magic, or do they stay completed?

Also, I I happen to want to do them in the true final chapter instead of chapter 8, do the information/dialogue we get from them change or are they identical?

CorvoSol

My sister rarely plays RPGs anymore, but after seeing some artwork from Bravely Default, she's decided to pick it up in February. I couldn't be happier, since it means basically all of my siblings are going to be playing it this Feb.

Aeana

CH7

Methinks the requirements for the True Ending don't make much sense, it should have been the other way around
disobeying gets you the true ending, playing around like an idiot gets you the normal one.
I agree, it's pretty weird. BUT,
she wouldn't summon her master unless she thought her work was done.

Just got the normal ending, and I did it in one go from chapter 8 so I didn't really have the time to test some things, and I'd like the answers before I try for the true ending.

My question has to do with optional bosses in chapter 8 and then in final chapter:

If I do the optional bosses in chapter 8 then go to the true final chapter, do they respawn as if it was magic, or do they stay completed?

Also, I I happen to want to do them in the true final chapter instead of chapter 8, do the information/dialogue we get from them change or are they identical?

I'm pretty sure the defeated state of all bosses is maintained between Chapter 8 and the final chapter.

I see people are trying to sabotage other teams by sending Lv99 Ba'alim all the time.
lol

I'm not complaining about getting Unearthly Buns.

Zornica

Banned
I agree, it's pretty weird. BUT,
she wouldn't summon her master unless she thought her work was done.

they could've worked around that though. It would only take a single cut scene :p
She could summon her master when she is near death because she got defeated and that's her last shot or something like that.
I do agree that both endings should be switched and my party shouldn't be rewarded for being stupid the whole time.

edit: ok, I don't get it:
I am fighting Belphegor and no matter what I do, I heal him. I am not sure what I am supposed to do here. Tried every kind of magic, tried attacking his mana pool... tried healing him. Nothing seems to work. Am I supposed to just wait and do nothing?

they could've worked around that though. It would only take a single cut scene :p
She could summon her master when she is near death because she got defeated and that's her last shot or something like that.
I do agree that both endings should be switched and my party shouldn't be rewarded for being stupid the whole time.

edit: ok, I don't get it:
I am fighting Belphegor and no matter what I do, I heal him. I am not sure what I am supposed to do here. Tried every kind of magic, tried attacking his mana pool... tried healing him. Nothing seems to work. Am I supposed to just wait and do nothing?

With regard to the plot
at the very end of Chapter 6, everyone talks like they've already seen the "normal" end , even though I haven't done it yet. So it seems like the expectation is that you shatter the Earth Crystal in Chapter 6, see the normal end, then reload to do the true end after finding out about Oruobous.

With regard to Belphegor: he's immune to non-elemental damage and all but 1 element. The element that can hurt him changes , so you basically have to keep cycling elements.

Zornica

Banned
With regard to Belphegor: he's immune to non-elemental damage and all but 1 element. The element that can hurt him changes , so you basically have to keep cycling elements.

I knew I did some damage once... but I thought I had imagined it...
Is there anything telling you which element he is weak against at the moment?

kiryogi

Banned
So seeing all the comments about Florem in
Chapter 5
. I ran around outside to check it out and the mobs weren't too bad at all. Then again I'm like lvl 62 currently. But my Dark Knights can basically 1-2 shot them. It probably helped that I did the Vampire Castle before hand. I'm still having an absolute blast with the new boss battles however.

I knew I did some damage once... but I thought I had imagined it...
Is there anything telling you which element he is weak against at the moment?

Use the Freelancer's Examine on him once, from then onwards whenever you press the circle pad leftwards you can see his current weakness. The same goes for his spheres, Examine just one of them and you'll be able to see all of their weaknesses. (This information carries over to future fights against them.) The starting weakness is random, but it always cycles Fire->Ice->Lightning

I just use the Spiritmaster's 静寂 ability (the one that burns 2BP) when the Spheres come out. The Spheres
self-destruct after a few turns
. You can focus on damaging Belphegor then.

FryHole

What sub-job would you guys recommend for a black mage? I just mastered BM and now want to add more skills.

I found Arcanist and Black Mage useful combined when grinding - Poison/Sleep + Exterminate/Twilight often clears enemies up nicely. Beyond that I used the Black Mage as a sub-job for when magic was necessary and otherwise taught the character the fine art of pummelling the shit out of people with the Monk and Ninja jobs.

Zornica

Banned
Use the Freelancer's Examine on him once, from then onwards whenever you press the circle pad leftwards you can see his current weakness. The same goes for his spheres, Examine just one of them and you'll be able to see all of their weaknesses. (This information carries over to future fights against them.) The starting weakness is random, but it always cycles Fire->Ice->Lightning

lol I am an idiot, thanks. Should've thought of that.

I just use the Spiritmaster's 静寂 ability (the one that burns 2BP) when the Spheres come out. The Spheres
self-destruct after a few turns
. You can focus on damaging Belphegor then.

There are at least 5 abilities that use 2bp :p I guess you meant the one that negates damage.

If the English language version follows the pattern it has been for the last couple of Nemesis it's about 12 hour's until we'll get it (Midnight UCT)

I found Arcanist and Black Mage useful combined when grinding - Poison/Sleep + Exterminate/Twilight often clears enemies up nicely. Beyond that I used the Black Mage as a sub-job for when magic was necessary and otherwise taught the character the fine art of pummelling the shit out of people with the Monk and Ninja jobs.

Magic becomes a lot less useful around the start of Chapter 5. I've got an Arcanist (with Black Magic) who spends MP to do about 2/3rd as much damage as a Swordmaster/Pirate now that I've mastered everything.

The only thing that seems to work reasonably well is Poison + Withering Ripple (Dark Weankess if the enemy reists Dark) + Exterminate spam and that's with M.Atk as high as it can possibly be (I've totally sacrificed defense) ( -aga spam with Fairy's Aid also barely hits 9999 damage but requires a Spiritmaster/Compounder to give up their BP,).

Not unusual for a Final Fantasy style game but still disappointing.

Zornica

Banned
Just noticed that too during the Belphegor fight. It has way to much hp and no matter what I did I couldn't even get them down to 50% before everyone ran out of mana.
Not sure what I am doing wrong, but magic seems kinda useless compared to physical attacks. The only magic worth using seems to be is sword magic.

The special Jan 1st Nemesis that's currently anonymous will go up in a few hours. Don't forget to get yours.

I just realised that this thing Bravely Default has been doing with the time-exclusive bosses is pretty reminiscent of a f2p title. Which is interesting, because if I'm not wrong, Silicon Studio actually does a lot of those.

Where is the special Nemesis? :/
edit: It's up!
0nqmGRO.jpg

Top Bottom