• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

darkziosj

Maybe the genre just isn't for me anymore, I disliked Ni No Kuni as well and was just as excited for that.

Music's great though and I do really like the battle system, if mostly because battles last seconds.

Seems like the problem is you, i had a blast with it, liked the charaters, the story is by no means "shit" it's actually more complex than the majority of jrpgs, chapters 5-8 are indeed troublesome but it was worth it in the end.

Kouriozan

By the way, the music in this game is AMAZING!
The three final bosses ones are really really good, loved that they throwed Tiz/Agnes/Ringabel/Edea's theme in it :)
Is it confirmed that Revo will compose Bravely Second's music too? I sure hope so!

Taruranto

Man, the boss-battle against
Kikyo, Qada, etc
in CH8 is fucking brutal.

Even if I kill one of them
Edea's master appears and they are 4 again,
and then I get oneshotted ,-,.

Akito

Man, the boss-battle against
Kikyo, Qada, etc
in CH8 is fucking brutal.

Even if I kill one of them
Edea's master appears and they are 4 again,
and then I get oneshotted ,-,.
Yeah, probably the hardest boss fight in the entire game aside from the one in the bonus dungeon. Had to start the fight over once or twice even with my lvl 99 group who has mastered everything. Just hit hard and get rid of Praline and Qada ASAP, everything else became trivial afterwards.

Oh lol, just noticed the title screen changes

After chapter 4 or 5 the subtitle where the fairy files appears. I'm at chapter 6 now and...

... and the subtitle turns red and tells me that Airy lies. Which we all know ever since the beginning. Still it's a Nice touch.

Shame I never leave my 3DS games until I'm done with them. That's pretty cool

Jintor

this game is taking some serious work. Not even up to the fabled chapter 5 yet and my pace is just slowing... down... dramatically...

Labadal

The second last boss in chapter 3 is handing me my ass. Am I supposed to defeat it in one go once its barrier is gone? Its blood suck ability takes away almost all of my HP and the attack that hits everyone is an instant K.O. to my entire party even at full hope.

FryHole

The second last boss in chapter 3 is handing me my ass. Am I supposed to defeat it in one go once its barrier is gone? Its blood suck ability takes away almost all of my HP and the attack that hits everyone is an instant K.O. to my entire party even at full hope.

Do you default until after its big attack? Don't start attacking when it drops the shield, default one more time until after the blast. Also probably worth doing some defensive buffs before the shield drops.

If you're doing that already and getting wiped out even when defaulting you might be under levelled.

Mwahaha, managed to find a setup that beats the New Year's nemesis pretty easily.
Someone had Slow World, which was screwing him out of half his turns, and if he did Before Swine it was basically two free turns for me. Not to mention I had someone spamming My Hero MimicX3. Meanwhile I had Tiz and Edea using the Monk's Pressure Point to bypass his insane defence, and they had Utsumemi, Comeback Kid and Turn Tables to benefit from his counterattack. The other two characters had Angelic Ward and Damage Dispersion so his physical attacks didn't hurt so much.

Labadal

Do you default until after its big attack? Don't start attacking when it drops the shield, default one more time until after the blast. Also probably worth doing some defensive buffs before the shield drops.

If you're doing that already and getting wiped out even when defaulting you might be under levelled.

The problem is the Blood Suck attack, it takes away half of my HP. I didn't think of another round of defaulting, I'll try that the next time I play.

Mwahaha, managed to find a setup that beats the New Year's nemesis pretty easily.
Someone had Slow World, which was screwing him out of half his turns, and if he did Before Swine it was basically two free turns for me. Not to mention I had someone spamming My Hero MimicX3. Meanwhile I had Tiz and Edea using the Monk's Pressure Point to bypass his insane defence, and they had Utsumemi, Comeback Kid and Turn Tables to benefit from his counterattack. The other two characters had Angelic Ward and Damage Dispersion so his physical attacks didn't hurt so much.

Nice... although I prefer
Kouli's World Haste Auto battle setup
lol

I've not been able to take on any Nemeses after the first couple. Every time I try to update data or add friends I get an unspecified error message and am told to try again later. Wondering if I should delete the game and redownload it (while keeping my save data, obv). Anyone else had similar troubles?

Labadal

I've not been able to take on any Nemeses after the first couple. Every time I try to update data or add friends I get an unspecified error message and am told to try again later. Wondering if I should delete the game and redownload it (while keeping my save data, obv). Anyone else had similar troubles?

Maybe you have the problem that I had. Read the OP.

FryHole

Just started playing this - not impressed that this game has micro transactions (sleep points)

They're not at all necessary (completed the game without ever thinking about them after the mechanic was introduced) and unintrusive - don't sweat it.

Vee_One

They're not at all necessary (completed the game without ever thinking about them after the mechanic was introduced) and unintrusive - don't sweat it.

I figured they weren't needed but it just rubs me the wrong way.
On the plus side - the game seems amazingly polished and charming.

Oxx

I haven't used SP. I don't even know how to activate them. I should use them at least once in order to complete the tutorial quest.

How's that work?

2x Valk/Time Mage, Valk/Templar, Valk/Merchant
Specific Setup (2x Valk/Time Mage with Steady MP Recover, Valk/Merchant with World Haste)
General Setup (Ability/Equip that raise speed & make sure Valk/Merchant is the fastest, Can put either Save Magic MP or Pierce M.Defense on the Valk/Time Mage, Kouli did put Auto-Phoenix on Valk/Templar probably as for safety measure)
1st turn (2x Valk/Time Mage use reraise on self, Valk/Merchant use Low Leverage, Valk/Templar use Rampant)
Other turn (Meteo & High Jump, Low Leverage & High Jump, Rampant & High Jump)

or just can watch here lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rIYWggLQ3I

Got this a few days ago, have found it impossible to put down. It's an unforgiving, but fair game - saving at savepoints doesn't heal you ala tales,ff etc. The third and fourth bosses made me have to releave the dungeon, re buy all my potions and then come back - and I love it!

Great combat, charming visuals and a steep difficulty curve that doesn't patronise you. Everything just feels so streamlined and right. There's no aimless wandering around, there's direction and always a clear sense of what to do. Can't wait to see what else this wonderous game has to offer.

Labadal

Beat the annoying boss I had trouble with in chapter 3. Took him down on my 7th try, lol. It had less to do with my level and more to do with my party setup. Still barely survived. Edea missed out on all the exp/BP. :(

Going to try to take down the boss for the new sub quest that oponed up.

danthefan

Onto chapter 4!

BD is monopolising my time at the moment. Sorry Zelda.

Also at the start of Ch4 and I think I need a short break from the game.

I didn't really like Ch3.
It just felt like dungeon after dungeon after dungeon with less interesting stuff than the previous chapters. And in terms of the story just strolling into the Swordbearers HQ seemed quite silly to me, simply walking into the stronghold of your enemy. The voice acting, Tiz in particular, is really starting to get on my nerves too tbh.

FryHole

It just felt like dungeon after dungeon after dungeon with less interesting stuff than the previous chapters. And in terms of the story just strolling into the Swordbearers HQ seemed quite silly to me, simply walking into the stronghold of your enemy. The voice acting, Tiz in particular, is really starting to get on my nerves too tbh.

I seem to recall I needed a breather after chapter 3, too.
It's a shame really - if not for the rather basic approach taken to story set-pieces and dungeon design that bit could've been this game's assault on Shinra Tower.

Scum

Thouroughly enjoying this. Managed to max all the jobs I've found so far. But what's this crazy Death Knight build I'm hearing about?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

I also had a bit of a weardown during ch 3, and taking a break surely helps. Just keep in mind ch 4 is hands-down better than ch 3, even on an entirely different plane if you do the sidequest.

On a different note: how the heck do I break the 10K damage barrier?

Thouroughly enjoying this. Managed to max all the jobs I've found so far. But what's this crazy Death Knight build I'm hearing about?

This requires a bit of setup and doesn't work on Undead, it's also not doable as written until Chapter 6 , but a less efficient version is doable from Chapter 5
(use 2 Rages instead of 3, it should still be more than enough to kill anything that's not Undead, you'll face in Chapter 5 except maybe the Dragons, and you'll need to reduce the Darkness Resistance of Lord DeRoss, Jabberwocky and Alternis by making them Dark Weak).

The gist of it is that you use the Dark Knight class (needs to be mastered or Abilinked at 14), equip a Blood Blade and Brave Suit, set BP Limit Up (Templar), BP Recovery (Red Mage) and either Two-handed (Knight) or Dual Wield (Ninja) (use Mutsu-no-Kami in the offhand). You can fill out the rest of the slots as you like but focus on Speed and Damage increases (like Herme's Shoes, Red Cap, Sword Magic Amp etc). This can be done from Chapter 6 for 1 person (you can steal 2 more Brave Suits and 2 more Blood Blades in Chapter 7 using Rob Blind).

You also need a Spirit Master, doesn't really matter what they have but its preferable if they are fast and someone with Hasten World (can be the Spirit master or someone else but not the Dark Knight).

In turn 1 -> Spiritmaster uses Stillness, Dark Knight uses Blood Blade (to cast Drain)
turn 2 -> Dark Knight uses Life or Death (maxes out Atk/Def/Magic/MDef/Speed and gives 2 BP)
turn 3 -> Dark Knight Braves x3 , uses Rage , Life or Death (for 2 more BP), Rage, Rage.

Note that you can't use Fairy Ward with this setup since it stops the Doom status and thus the BP recovery, so if you need to defend against an enemy status you need to use Inoculate (Blind, Charm, Sleep, Paralyze, Dread and Stop can all mess this up).

If you can buff the Dark Knight with things like Pay to Play, Quick, Fairy's Aid and debuff the enemy Dark Weak / lowering the enemies P.Def , those all help too.

krossj

chapter 5 onwards...
Not enjoying playing through the same bosses/ sidequests again and again in this game no matter how much fun the battle system is and I think it is great! The jobs and abilities are fantastic and keep the game interesting but It just seems like they made the game artificially longer. I probably wouldn't have bothered too much if they had thrown something new in each chapter. I just began my third go at all the bosses (chapter 6?) and repeating the content is starting to wear thin...

chapter 5 onwards...
Not enjoying playing through the same bosses/ sidequests again and again in this game no matter how much fun the battle system is and I think it is great! The jobs and abilities are fantastic and keep the game interesting but It just seems like they made the game artificially longer. I probably wouldn't have bothered too much if they had thrown something new in each chapter. I just began my third go at all the bosses (chapter 6?) and repeating the content is starting to wear thin...

Some bosses do gain new Abilities in Chapter 6, but it's easily missable since it's pretty subtle (Ominas uses Thunder to hit the entire party, Heinkel can use Shield Charge, etc) and the the Venus sisters all fight you together as party of the Conjurer Side Quest. In Chapter 7 all the boss fights are group battles and can be pretty nasty, especially since they have really good stuff to steal.

Zornica

Banned
chapter 5 onwards...

you could just try the fake ending. It really got me going again to power through to the end.

I don't want to spoil how to get to it, because I think figuring it out is part of the fun...

hint:
do what the npcs outside the party tell you! disobey!

solution (don't read if you want to figure it out by yourself):
when at a crystal, just keep pressing x until it explodes.

krossj

Some bosses do gain new Abilities in Chapter 6, but it's easily missable since it's pretty subtle (Ominas uses Thunder to hit the entire party, Heinkel can use Shield Charge, etc) and the the Venus sisters all fight you together as party of the Conjurer Side Quest. In Chapter 7 all the boss fights are group battles and can be pretty nasty, especially since they have really good stuff to steal.

This makes it sound more interesting especially chapter 7, sounds a lot better. I just fought Ominas and thought the battle was more difficult than the previous chapter for some reason and his thunder must have been why.

solution (don't read if you want to figure it out by yourself):
when at a crystal, just keep pressing x until it explodes.

I thought there was something up with that as it allowed you to keep pressing x after Airy said stop. What Elaugaufein said has me interested to keep playing but if I get bored I might try that to see what happens.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Watching videos of BD, it looks like near perfection when it comes to old school types of JRPGs. Graphics are good and I love the way they did the overworld.

Exentryk

They should have allowed us to save multiple job configurations. Changing setups for Belphegor and others is an annoyance -.-

Taruranto

(Ending spoilerzzz)
Man, some things felt so random... like, what's the deal with Airy's sister? Or the Celestial Being/World. I wish the game had spent more time bulding the setting in the last chapters instead of just dicking around. Like the whole deal with the crystals, we know Airy wanted to link them, but we never get a clear answer on what they are or how the whole thing works exactly. They are just kinda... there.

Ending was fun other than, luckly I managed to beat the final boss at the first try.
__Airy__
final form was harder. (even at 99 you get oneshotted by some combos on Hard)

Also the secret movie, HOLY SHIT, WHAT KIND OF WIZARDRY WAS THAT.

Top Bottom