• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

So having finished the True Ending and seen the Special Movie, I have to ask
Am I the only one who thinks Magnolia looks positively Evil ?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Been playing this for a while and while I love the game, especially the gorgeous art direction and visuals, and some of the best looking 3D on the system so far, I really hate some of the silly Anime characters in this game. The part in that flower city that's only inhabited by women that are crazy for hairpins with all the terrible dialogue almost made me give up on this game. Then there's this little fairy sorceress and her companion or little girls in gothic lolita dresses being army commanders and hypnotizing soldiers by singing terrible pop songs. Some of it is just too wacky...
Play the Florem sidequest. For me the Florem chapter was the first moment in the game the story got a dark turn, and gave a hint the game might not be your typical JRPG.

Jintor

I am getting real fucking sick of trekking out of dungeons to go get MP. Aren't there tent items in this game? If you use an escape crystal in this dungeon it just boots you to the beginning of the dungeon, which was midway through the last dungeon. This is really irritating.

I guess I could just buy turbo ethers from No-whateverthefuckthetowniscalled

Exentryk

^
- You can make ~360k in 1 minute. Buy some Turbo Ethers.
- Use Half Elixir (5000 HP + 500 MP) with Salvemaker's Compounding ability.
- Use 'reduce MP use' passives
- Last job unlocked has MP restore after every turn.

Saw the alternative ending. Not bad actually. That ending song was pretty cool. Also, I liked how the credits were shown on the bottom screen and the ending scenes on the top. 3DS has its benefits.
Currently in chapter 7 and
fightning all of the bosses again. Pretty cool that everyone teams up together.
Learning stuff that ties up with what NPCs said during the course of the game is refreshing.

Btw, is the bonus dungeon meant to be completed after or before the true ending?
I tried to go there in the alternative ending and found the B9 door locked >_>

kiryogi

Banned
I am getting real fucking sick of trekking out of dungeons to go get MP. Aren't there tent items in this game? If you use an escape crystal in this dungeon it just boots you to the beginning of the dungeon, which was midway through the last dungeon. This is really irritating.

Yeah, one of my peeves is dealing with MP management. Although it's not as bad later if you have ample gil. Stock up on Ether+Turbo Ether and use compound in battle. Or hell sometimes Magic Thirst from Vampire works out well too.

^
- You can make ~360k in 1 minute. Buy some Turbo Ethers.
- Use Half Elixir (5000 HP + 500 MP) with Salvemaker's Compounding ability.
- Use 'reduce MP use' passives
- Last job unlocked has MP restore after every turn.

Saw the alternative ending. Not bad actually. That ending song was pretty cool. Also, I liked how the credits were shown on the bottom screen and the ending scenes on the top. 3DS has its benefits.
Currently in chapter 7 and
fightning all of the bosses again. Pretty cool that everyone teams up together.
Learning stuff that ties up with what NPCs said during the course of the game is refreshing.

Btw, is the bonus dungeon meant to be completed after or before the true ending?
I tried to go there in the alternative ending and found the B9 door locked >_>

Yulyana breaks the final seals after you talk to him and DeRosso in the true end

Sadist

Pfff oh man. I'm at the final part of the game (true ending) and the bossfight is hard.

Airy's true form deals out huge amounts of damage. Her slaughter move one hit ko's, she uses Acedia and Flare for massive damage... I'm not sure what to do. I have a salvemaker and using compound (beast liver + dragon fang) I can double my HP. Spiritmasters abillity to ward elemental attacks kinda works. But dishing out damage is hard. Anyone have tips?

Zornica

Banned

In my opinion, magic users aren't worth it... The damage - mana ratio is really bad, you'd be better of with a spell fencer instead of a real mage. It's way easier to deal with the mana problem if your party consists of physical damage dealers only.

Pfff oh man. I'm at the final part of the game (true ending) and the bossfight is hard.

Airy's true form deals out huge amounts of damage. Her slaughter move one hit ko's, she uses Acedia and Flare for massive damage... I'm not sure what to do. I have a salvemaker and using compound (beast liver + dragon fang) I can double my HP. Spiritmasters abillity to ward elemental attacks kinda works. But dishing out damage is hard. Anyone have tips?

Seems like you already got a spiritmaster. Whenever airy defaults, use the... what ever it is called ability that negates damage for 2 turns.

I suppose that's the dungeon with the mithril mines? The teleport stones work really terribly there.

In my opinion, magic users aren't worth it... The damage - mana ratio is really bad, you'd be better of with a spell fencer instead of a real mage. It's way easier to deal with the mana problem if your party consists of physical damage dealers only.

Seems like you already got a spiritmaster. Whenever airy defaults, use the... what ever it is called ability that negates damage for 2 turns.

Oh my god, I can't believe I never thought of using that when I was having trouble with that boss. The best I could think of was using Skull Bash and having everyone else Default and cross my fingers. I was already actively using a
Spiritmaster to cast Greater Spirit Ward for the earlier phase of the fight, when she does the Acedia Flare combo over two turns.

zoukka

I love the bosses in this game. Still only ten hours in, but most bosses kill my party at least once because i'm too cocky and not using the best classes and being too reckless. They are almost puzzlelike because they have clear attack patterns and weaknesses which is awesome. You can't just brute force your way on them.

The dungeons are very simple so that's a small concern though nothing crippling. The sidequests to get jobs are meaty and tasty!

blu

You can buy ether from the gamesave guy, once you have your Norende at least partially built. Also, why trekking out of dungeons? I've always had an excess of teleport stones.

I beg to differ. My swordmaster/summoner loves free lunches.

Zornica

Banned
You can buy ether from the gamesave guy, once you have your Norende at least partially built. Also, why trekking out of dungeons? I've always had an excess of teleport stones.

I beg to differ. My swordmaster/summoner loves free lunches.

the damage output isn't worth it though...
My pirat/spellfencer and ranger/spellfencer hit between 6000 and 9999 dmg each per turn when using the right element - even without critical hits. They are also self-sufficient when using the health-drain spell on their weapons. Your swordmaster/summoner needs at least 2 turns for a similarly strong hit. It doesn't seem very efficient to me.

No matter what I tried, I could never get any damage out of magic users...

Jintor

yeah but the fucking walk to the village is still a bajillion hours.

you took so much from FF, why couldn't you get the GODDAMN TENTS

My pirat/spellfencer and ranger/spellfencer hit between 6000 and 9999 dmg each per turn when using the right element - even without critical hits. They are also self-sufficient when using the health-drain spell on their weapons. Your swordmaster/summoner needs at least 2 turns for a similarly strong hit. It doesn't seem very efficient to me.

A Performer with Examine equipped, supported by Haste World and a Brave Suit, can feed the entire party 3 BP per turn (4 if he gets to Default once, since you need 2 BP to start the cycle) using My Hero -> Mimic x2 or x3. You can basically Free Lunch and Amped Strike / Summon as much as you like.

I was using 2 x Dark Knight with (one with Commerice , one with Medicine), 1 x Spiritmaster with White Magic, and a Perfomer with Examine to beat all the major challenge fights but I swapped to Swordmasters with Piracy for
Gigas Lich
since his undeadness makes him immune to foundation of the strategy.

That said Magic damage takes a sharp dive of a cliff around the time you enter
Eternian Central Command
and the only thing that's really worth it is Poison + Exterminate (preferably with Withering Ripple support) but you'll need to use Magic or Pressure Point for
Adamant Shell or the Chomper variants, who's name I can't remember, on Floor 9/10 of the bonus dungeon since they are basically immune to physical attacks otherwise

blu

Unreflectable elemental attacks which hit the enemy party at full damage, regardless the enemy count, per zero MP cost? Sounds pretty efficient to me. My humble summoner can wipe out a 6-pack of Mandragoras in a single turn, for free. How many turns would your spellfencer use for that and at what cost? ; )

Unreflectable elemental attacks which hit the enemy party at full damage, regardless the enemy count, per zero MP cost? Sounds pretty efficient to me. My humble summoner can wipe out a 6-pack of Mandragoras in a single turn, for free. How many turns would your spellfencer use for that and at what cost? ; )

This isn't the best example. You can wipe out a pack of Rafflesia using any average or better pair of physical attacker and Acrobatics and Dual Wield or Two-handed. Each physical attack Braves Once, Crescent Moons twice. A good physical attacker like a Two-handed pirate with Giant's Axe can do this solo. It's infinitely repeatable too. And full auto-able unlike Free Lunch if you're trying for maximum damage.

yeah but the fucking walk to the village is still a bajillion hours.

you took so much from FF, why couldn't you get the GODDAMN TENTS

actually, most of FF tents can only be used at world map or save points, and in FF usually there're no shop at the save points

unlike FF, in BD you can buy stuff from the adventurer that also acts as a save point in a dungeon.. so tent is a bit useless considering money isn't actually a problem in this game

LuchaShaq

Banned
Question about the job system. Is it the type where you will have to change characters jobs constantly? Never been a fan of it to be honest.

With all this "censorship" talk I just learned Bravely Default For The Sequel has an English language option. Does anyone know if this release features the "localization" changes found in the Euro and US release when played in English?

Question about the job system. Is it the type where you will have to change characters jobs constantly? Never been a fan of it to be honest.

Depends what you mean. You can stick to a single job per character more or less (you'll probably want to pick up a couple of low level skills from other jobs) until roughly quarter of the way through Chapter 3. At that point you'll have mastered that job and really should change. You do need to change jobs to learn all the abilities but you can carry over pretty much all the features of a single job you've already mastered if you're so inclined.

Leezard

You don't have to change it a lot. Once you find a job setup you like you can stick with it until you want other skills. Note that some job setups can have a difficult time on some bosses.

Oregano

You know what I love about this game? The fact that a decent strategy can make a boss fight from a desperate struggle for survival to a walk in the park.

Sadist

Arrrghh... final chapter rabl rabl

Airy keeps on kicking my ass. My Spiritmaster is the only one keeping me on my feet, but the salvemaker, White Mage and Dark Knight can't help me enough. My damage output is way too low. Anyone else got a good combo of jobs and support abillities for this fight? I'm getting pretty tired of being "slaughtered".

FryHole

Airy keeps on kicking my ass. My Spiritmaster is the only one keeping me on my feet, but the salvemaker, White Mage and Dark Knight can't help me enough. My damage output is way too low. Anyone else got a good combo of jobs and support abillities for this fight? I'm getting pretty tired of being "slaughtered".

Here's what I did.
If you've got monk mastered by a couple of characters try two of them with Natural Talent and no equipment for high physical damage. Use them purely for attacks, give the third character the Templar ability and use Rampart to save the whole team one physical hit, recast each time it's needed - I make this character a Ninja/Spellfencer so she can join in the attack when possible. Use a spirit master with white mage support and begin the fight casting Stillness and then the MP expensive ability that restores BP so you don't have to wait too long to act again, while everyone defaults until Stillness wears off. Then 4*attack with the monks (I use Hidden Dragon), Rampart + attack with the other (best not to go too far into the BP red with this one), then Stillness next round while they recover BP (not the same round in case your spirit master gets to act first), Rampart and cure where necessary. Make sure the spiritmaster can cure the whole team using that "group cast power not diminished" ability so you can cure cheaply with a single action, saving your BP for Stillness. If you can get on top of things so you can always cast Stillness when your attackers need to recover BP, and you make sure you don't accidentally attack while Stillness is in effect (this happened to me more times than I'm proud of), you should take Airy down pretty quickly - my monks were doing nigh on 40k damage with 4*Hidden Dragon each.

Teppic

I used Swordmaster paired with Pirate abilities as my main damage attack for the endgame. One attack that lowered defense, followed by Swordmaster ability "Free Lunch" (All abilities use Zero MP for two turns) Then two 4x damage Pirate ability. Nothing ventured is also your friend. Used a mage as my other damage dealer, with magic critical and sacrifice from the Arcanist job, but swordmaster was better at dealing damage.

You can block the rampage attack with Templar's ability Rampart (uses 2 brave points). Used that and time magic for one character.

Zornica

Banned
endboss battle
I used a pirate/spellfencer + ranger?hunter?bowdude/spellfencer for damage, a spiritmaster/whitemage for healing/protection and a swordmaster/performer for buffs.

airy is weak against fire, together with dances both of you damage guys should be able to hit her for close to 9999 damage per attack.

blu

You know what I love about this game? The fact that a decent strategy can make a boss fight from a desperate struggle for survival to a walk in the park.
That's how it was in 4HoL as well - boss battles were sort of puzzles. Only there the 'puzzle mechanics' was more complex.

So I read a FAQ of all the classes: how do Vampires die? The Undead skill seems too good to be true.

Do the summon on death skills let you choose what you summon?

FryHole

So how good is the story in this game?

It does the job, but it's nothing earth-shattering - quite standard classic FF fare (and I mean early FF, not 6/7) for a sizable part of the game, followed by twist in the structure that's proved pretty divisive. I enjoyed it but wouldn't recommend the game solely on the basis of the story - it's just a nice excuse to go adventuring in a world with a terrific combat system and great visuals and music.

Script-wise it is very well written though - light hearted (with some dark turns), fun, clearly defined characters and often funny. The back and forth between some of the party members is great.

blu

Do the summon on death skills let you choose what you summon?
It's random (which is its main problem - elemental attacks largely rely on vulnerabilities alignment).

It does the job, but it's nothing earth-shattering - quite standard classic FF fare (and I mean early FF, not 6/7) for a sizable part of the game, followed by twist in the structure that's proved pretty divisive. I enjoyed it but wouldn't recommend the game solely on the basis of the story - it's just a nice excuse to go adventuring in a world with a terrific combat system and great visuals and music.

Script-wise it is very well written though - light hearted (with some dark turns), fun, clearly defined characters and often funny. The back and forth between some of the party members is great.

It's most like Final Fantasy V in terms of the story pre divisive twist. Which shouldn't surprise anyone considering that in many way this game is a love letter to FFV , in the same way 4 HoL was to FFIII.

Top Bottom