• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

zoukka

Great game, couldn't let go of my 3DS last night until the battery drained. The background paintings are mindblowing and the first time I stumbled to a city at night, I shat bricks. Love the little 3D models and music too. The job system seems fun thought unlocking them with boss fights is a curious system.

The only real flaw seems to be the very safe and boring story/writing.

How do you leave your airship? A text prompt saying 'get off press a 'comes up but just lowers me into the sea. Can't figure out how to get onto land.

So apparently you can't even see Ringabel's speedo outfit even through a friend summon, like you can with the other Japan only outfits. It was completely removed. :/

I know it seems like a petty complaint, and I still and gonna get the game, but it really is quite silly that Nintendo and/or Square think we need to be "protected" from this. It's even weirder because Ringabel was the only character that was always an adult. (It also shows a weird dichotomy of how sexuality is displayed depending on gender. They'd go through the effort to "fix" the ladies' costumes, but can't be bothered to include the one sexy male costume at all? Such a bizarre double standard.)

Fritz

Okay, THAT part is almost breaking the deal for me, hnng. What do I gain from doing the sidequeats where I have to beat all
the bosses again after the Holy Pillar threw me back
?

Unfortunately I posted that in the NA demo thread, oh my.

ramyeon

Okay, THAT part is almost breaking the deal for me, hnng. What do I gain from doing the sidequeats where I have to beat all
?
Yeah it ruined the game for me too. I gave up after
Being thrown back by the Holy Pillar for I think the third time
. Still have yet to beat it... Sad, because I had nothing but praise before that section.

Salih

@Fritz
just ingore it. you gain nothing from it. they have alternative dialogues and you get more informations about the backstory of those characters but just go to the crystals and do your job; it won't take too long. DO IT! the ending will compensate your hard work.

FryHole

?

The fights get more difficult, but really you just get story development - the personalities of the bosses change, the dialogue is different, motives are revealed etc. It manages to be annoying and cool at the same time.

Unfortunately I posted that in the NA demo thread, oh my.

You monster ;)

Fritz

Thanks guys. I kinda figured
it's only good for grinding. Allthough it is kinda cool how little dialogue they change and how different they come off

Oh man, that music! Can somebody please tell me where to find the track when Tiz starts his "Special"? I do not want to spoil myself by going through some lists in the www.

Or can I access that music ingame in some menu, without battling?

Oh man, that music! Can somebody please tell me where to find the track when Tiz starts his "Special"? I do not want to spoil myself by going through some lists in the www.

Or can I access that music ingame in some menu, without battling?

Tiz's theme? Disc 1 Track no. 24 "君は僕の希望"

Been playing this for a while and while I love the game, especially the gorgeous art direction and visuals, and some of the best looking 3D on the system so far, I really hate some of the silly Anime characters in this game. The part in that flower city that's only inhabited by women that are crazy for hairpins with all the terrible dialogue almost made me give up on this game. Then there's this little fairy sorceress and her companion or little girls in gothic lolita dresses being army commanders and hypnotizing soldiers by singing terrible pop songs. Some of it is just too wacky...

Yeah it ruined the game for me too. I gave up after
Being thrown back by the Holy Pillar for I think the third time
. Still have yet to beat it... Sad, because I had nothing but praise before that section.

Same here. The promise of further exposition got me to
redo all the the sidequests twice but there's basically no point. It's a couple additional sentences if that. Who's idea was this? I wanna slap the shit out of that person. Really can't be stuffed now on Chapter 7

FryHole

Same here. The promise of further exposition got me to
redo all the the sidequests twice but there's basically no point. It's a couple additional sentences if that. Who's idea was this? I wanna slap the shit out of that person. Really can't be stuffed now on Chapter 7

Chapter 7 actually improves on the situation quite a bit by changing the setup somewhat (don't highlight the spoiler if you want to find this out yourself) -
in each battle a number of bosses team up, so there's fewer, more difficult fights. It's also got some of the most different dialogue due to this, including some quite funny stuff

L~A

I got a small question : there's no other way to use the 'Examine' ability in battle than to have Freelancer as your job, right? It's really annoying me, because I want to keep Ranger as a job for Agnès, but I can't get rid of the Freelancer abilities, since I need it for Examine. So yeah, I'm kinda stuck (annoying since I've maxed out the Ranger job).

Zornica

Banned
(Ending spoilerzzz)
Man, some things felt so random... like, what's the deal with Airy's sister? Or the Celestial Being/World. I wish the game had spent more time bulding the setting in the last chapters instead of just dicking around. Like the whole deal with the crystals, we know Airy wanted to link them, but we never get a clear answer on what they are or how the whole thing works exactly. They are just kinda... there.

That's probably just build up for the sequel. Turok 2 did the same thing and I think it's a nice way of linking two games together. At least it's a million times better than just ending on a cliff hanger or even worse having a sequel to an already completed story.

wrowa

So apparently you can't even see Ringabel's speedo outfit even through a friend summon, like you can with the other Japan only outfits. It was completely removed. :/

I know it seems like a petty complaint, and I still and gonna get the game, but it really is quite silly that Nintendo and/or Square think we need to be "protected" from this. It's even weirder because Ringabel was the only character that was always an adult. (It also shows a weird dichotomy of how sexuality is displayed depending on gender. They'd go through the effort to "fix" the ladies' costumes, but can't be bothered to include the one sexy male costume at all? Such a bizarre double standard.)

Wait, did they change the age of the characters in the localized version? Or are you referring to something else?

Chapter 7 actually improves on the situation quite a bit by changing the setup somewhat (don't highlight the spoiler if you want to find this out yourself

Didn't read but hopefully it gets me going. I was playing with about 3+ hours a day and then stopped completely. Really odd for how much I was enjoying it

I got a small question : there's no other way to use the 'Examine' ability in battle than to have Freelancer as your job, right? It's really annoying me, because I want to keep Ranger as a job for Agnès, but I can't get rid of the Freelancer abilities, since I need it for Examine. So yeah, I'm kinda stuck (annoying since I've maxed out the Ranger job).

You don't really need examine, the typing of monsters is kind of evident from how they look. As far as bosses again, you can sort of tell, if not just sub it and then reset after you've found out its typing. Freelancer is actually pretty good and gets the Mimic ability at level 14 which is pretty amazing (copies previous attack for free regardless of BP/MP cost).

Anustart

Downloaded the demo yesterday but haven't played it yet. I'm really looking forward to giving this a try. I haven't played an old style jRPG since DQ 9!

Zornica

Banned
Wait, did they change the age of the characters in the localized version? Or are you referring to something else?

yes, they made them older. I can't remember if it is mentioned anywhere in the game, but it was mentioned a few times in PR materials.

L~A

Didn't read but hopefully it gets me going. I was playing with about 3+ hours a day and then stopped completely. Really odd for how much I was enjoying it

You don't really need examine, the typing of monsters is kind of evident from how they look. As far as bosses again, you can sort of tell, if not just sub it and then reset after you've found out its typing. Freelancer is actually pretty good and gets the Mimic ability at level 14 which is pretty amazing (copies previous attack for free regardless of BP/MP cost).

Isn't it needed to complete D's notebook, though? And cool about the Mimic ability, definitely going to pick it up then. Thanks for the answer :)

Jintor

This is such an irritant :(

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
(Ending spoilerzzz)
Man, some things felt so random... like, what's the deal with Airy's sister? Or the Celestial Being/World. I wish the game had spent more time bulding the setting in the last chapters instead of just dicking around. Like the whole deal with the crystals, we know Airy wanted to link them, but we never get a clear answer on what they are or how the whole thing works exactly. They are just kinda... there.

Ending was fun other than, luckly I managed to beat the final boss at the first try.
__Airy__
final form was harder. (even at 99 you get oneshotted by some combos on Hard)

Also the secret movie, HOLY SHIT, WHAT KIND OF WIZARDRY WAS THAT.
Does the ending
require an online connection? I was watching it via YouTube and it looks like the other worlds that were assisting the characters were other player's worlds. Does this still happen regardless if you are online or not?

BTW, that sage sounds like Deckard Cain from Diablo.

FryHole

Does the ending
require an online connection? I was watching it via YouTube and it looks like the other worlds that were assisting the characters were other player's worlds. Does this still happen regardless if you are online or not?

BTW, that sage sounds like Deckard Cain from Diablo.

The names of the other worlds come from friends that you've abilinked during the game, I believe. If you don't link any friends during play the game will 'introduce' you to four bot friends, and they show up in the final scenes.

The Chapter 5+ (except 8) optional boss fights have unique-ish steals and drops (they generally improve each chapter). I think all of the are obtainable elsewhere but quantities are limited for many of them. Chapter 5&6 are pretty bad though
since the changes are subtle and not always followed through
but the Conjurer side quest is worth doing in Chapter 6.

The
3rd rematch with them in Chapter 8, where you fight all 23 in groups in a row with no breaks is one of the hardest challenges in the game

wrowa

Chapter 5 is just...I think I'll play something else for a while. :(

Well, you can just ignore the side-quests if you want to. You don't gain exp for most of them anyway, so they aren't really worth doing if you aren't interested in doing them.

I actually like that chapter, though. Enemy encounters will give you a lot of job exp and it's an ideal chapter to experiment with different job classes. It's quite fun, I think.

You can have her as a Ranger and equip Miscellany (that's the Freelancer's) as her secondary active ability.

Almost made it through chapter 8. I wanna see that true ending.

DO IT!

Wooo. Just beat the Secret Boss. That was pretty difficult, took me about 5 tries refining my strategy and adjusting my equipment and I burnt through 800 000 pg in large BP drinks but eh it's not like there's anything else to spend it on. i would love to know why he couldn't be bothered saving the world though considering he could kick the behind of both final bosses simultaneously. Lazy.

The very beginning of chapter 4 already seems a lot more difficult than the end of chapter 3.

The difficulty jump is pretty short lived. After the 3 outdoor boss fights things go back to being fairly doable until you get to the Standing Stone Sidequest .

Oxx

Even a couple of the regular battles left me humbled, until I developed a better anti-confuse/poison strategy.

Jintor

's kinda funny how people are talking about how unacceptable the sexualisation of minors is or whatever but Bravely Default is probably the only RPG i remember where the main party explicitly kills most of their human opponents. Violent minors = a-ok. I guess it's less visible than creepy bikini costumes though.

's kinda funny how people are talking about how unacceptable the sexualisation of minors is or whatever but Bravely Default is probably the only RPG i remember where the main party explicitly kills most of their human opponents. Violent minors = a-ok. I guess it's less visible than creepy bikini costumes though.

It's kind of easy to forget if you finish the game fully as nearly all of the enemies in the last ~half of the game survive, with the change over happening in Chapter 6
(where 6 or 7 (with certain events done) more people than normal survive and one escapes mortal wounds
).

aravuus

Speaking of which, that was one of the things I liked a lot. No Disney deaths. But yeah, it's not like "sex is worse than violence" is a new thing.

So how's the story in this game? Obviously, the combat mechanics look pretty great, from what I've seen.

Nothing to write home about. It's super generic fantasy stuff with a bit of a twist around halfway through the game but believe me - if you're playing it for the story, the twist is not worth it. Still, I'd definitely recommend the game for the gameplay, fucking around with the job system is a lot of fun and fighting is actually pretty addictive.

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps someone could make a thread for BD noobs? I'd really appreciate a guide on the basics of combat, jobs, etc. removed from this massive thread.

Zornica

Banned

Honestly it really bothered me... I knew
I was the bad guy pretty early on and I knew whatever I am doing here is just wrong.
And I really hated that the game kept forcing me to kill those people. I almost gave up because I just couldn't go on like this. I skipped
every fight after chapter 4 that wasn't mandatory.
Some chibi titties wouldn't have bothered me nearly as much.

dan2026

Ugh I have to say the fact that they censored some of the dialogue has soured me on this game.

Maybe I'll get it cheap later.

Top Bottom