• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

FryHole

It's most like Final Fantasy V in terms of the story pre divisive twist. Which shouldn't surprise anyone considering that in many way this game is a love letter to FFV , in the same way 4 HoL was to FFIII.

I never got to play 5, after this I might get it to play on the Vita. As for the pattern you note here, I mentioned in my review in the spoiler thread that I would love the next in the series to be a similar love letter to the ps1 era.

I never got to play 5, after this I might get it to play on the Vita. As for the pattern you note here, I mentioned in my review in the spoiler thread that I would love the next in the series to be a similar love letter to the ps1 era.

The thing is there isn't a Job system game in the PS1 era unless they do a love letter to Final Fantasy Tactics. Which I would buy so fast ... The next job system game doesn't come around until FFX-2.

ETA- I guess you could kind of count the Junctioning summons and the abilities they provide as a class system but it doesn't really work since only one character can Junction a summon at a time.

Oregano

That's how it was in 4HoL as well - boss battles were sort of puzzles. Only there the 'puzzle mechanics' was more complex.

I feel that the main difference is the BP system compared to the AP system. They both work on the same principle but being able to Brave is just an amazing feeling. The one thing I miss about the AP system is the fact that you never had to worry about running out of magic.

FryHole

The thing is there isn't a Job system game in the PS1 era unless they do a love letter to Final Fantasy Tactics. Which I would buy so fast ... The next job system game doesn't come around until FFX-2.

I'd be alright without a job system as long as it was 'proper' set piece style ps1 game - make the 4HoL/BD series a second pass or alternative take on the FF series as a whole, with the next games offering a fresh take on the materia or junction system (OK maybe not the latter), more sophisticated plots and worlds, cutscenes, the works.

Bravely Default plot allusions follow, don't click if you haven't completed it:
the alternative take idea is even fitting given what happens in this game! They could do an alternative FFXIII, but done right this time...

I'd be alright without a job system as long as it was 'proper' set piece style ps1 game - make the 4HoL/BD series a second pass or alternative take on the FF series as a whole, with the next games offering a fresh take on the materia or junction system (OK maybe not the latter), more sophisticated plots and worlds, cutscenes, the works.

Bravely Default plot allusions follow, don't click if you haven't completed it:
the alternative take idea is even fitting given what happens in this game! They could do an alternative FFXIII, but done right this time...

I wouldn't mind that, even if I do love the job system games more than is healthy. Though your optimism is off the charts considering I can't even begin to imagine how you do
FFXIII
right.

Conan-san

So, is there something I'm missing with the second dungon and it's Buffing asshole pig men or is that just a close the DS and call it a night deal? It'd be one thing If I could manage thier buffing such that I don't take 100hp per attack but that's nothin' doing right now for obvious reasons.

Question: does the Dark Knight move Rage cause damage to him, or life loss? I am wondering if it works with the Red Mage Revenge ability. A suidicide DPS king sounds lovely.

King_Moc

Banned
So, is there something I'm missing with the second dungon and it's Buffing asshole pig men or is that just a close the DS and call it a night deal? It'd be one thing If I could manage thier buffing such that I don't take 100hp per attack but that's nothin' doing right now for obvious reasons.

I had to revisit the inn at the town a few times until i was strong enough to get all the way through. Having some friends to summon is probably helpful too. And make sure you got Blindna.

entremet

So I went to the Temple of Wind for the first dungeon and was one shotted by random enemies lol.

I'm guessing that's an advanced area?

Early on in this game before you get access to the Valkyrie classes Crescent Moon, you have to be very careful when you enter a new area. Try defaulting once or twice, and then have 2 members of your party brave down to -1 BP and attack a single enemy to try and kill them off. Unless you forgot to buy White Magic & equipment upgrades in Caldisia, in which case that might be worth doing.

Question: does the Dark Knight move Rage cause damage to him, or life loss? I am wondering if it works with the Red Mage Revenge ability. A suidicide DPS king sounds lovely.

Rage essentially uses Dark Bane until you run out of HP or until it's been used 5 times. I haven't tested with Revenge but I doubt it. Life or Death does trigger Red Mages BP recovery though.

So I went to the Temple of Wind for the first dungeon and was one shotted by random enemies lol.

I'm guessing that's an advanced area?

Yup, that's the final dungeon in the demo.

That
ice golem
at the start of chapter 4 still has me over a barrel.

It has that effect on almost everyone. That and the Guardian which is the next boss fight (though optional) are unusually difficult, things go back to being much more normal afterwards until you start looking at the Castle side quest.

The Boat

I already started the game and didn't play the demo, is it still possible to play it and transfer the demo stuff or would I need to start over?

I already started the game and didn't play the demo, is it still possible to play it and transfer the demo stuff or would I need to start over?

I'm pretty sure you'd have to start a new game. If you're any distance into the game though, it's probably not worth it , the demo stuff is just consumables and some equipment that can all be bought by Chapter 1.

Oxx

I managed to win the battle at the start of chapter 4.

Hard to tell if it was because I finally got the right blend of abilities/jobs/equipment, or just because I dropped the difficulty to Easy for that one fight.

jercruz

Full game streetpass question:

How can I do > 99,999 damage using bravely second?

The most that I can manage is only 65k.

What's your character setup?

Questions:
Does Hasten World stack on itself?

Does Conservation of Life break the game? Like, does it cost something to autores my entire team just by dying?

Where can I find a list of sword magic?

So I heard there's a plot twist in this game and it's pretty divisive, or something? Some people hate it?

Could someone tell me why it might be disliked, without spoilers?

For example, is it incredibly cliche, does it come completely out of nowhere and appears to make no sense, is it hyped up as a big deal in the story but ends up being a letdown, does it make you hate a character you liked? That sort of thing.

Just wondering.

kiryogi

Banned
So I heard there's a plot twist in this game and it's pretty divisive, or something? Some people hate it?

Could someone tell me why it might be disliked, without spoilers?

For example, is it incredibly cliche, does it come completely out of nowhere and appears to make no sense, is it hyped up as a big deal in the story but ends up being a letdown, does it make you hate a character you liked? That sort of thing.

Just wondering.

Do you like repetition. That's the best way to describe it.

Exentryk

Questions:
Does Hasten World stack on itself?

Does Conservation of Life break the game? Like, does it cost something to autores my entire team just by dying?

Where can I find a list of sword magic?

Hasten World does not stack with itself.

Conservation of Life can only restore you 4 times if all your characters have it. But the passive costs 3 slots, which is too much given the usefulness. One can easily cast Re-Raise on the characters.

Wiki might have something?

kiryogi

Banned
For Japanese players. . . Apparently Team Ringabel is in the lead. FUCK XD @ 8.07 体

But Team Edea is right behind @ 7.26 体

Playing through For The Sequel at the moment...so much fun and very challenging. It's going to take a while to finish.

Looking forward to hearing what you all think!

Exentryk

Was curious, so checked the level 99 stats for all characters:

h6wXp1i.png

Tiz - Balanced stats. Use however.
Agnes - Mage material. Highest MP, INT and MND.
Ringabel - Thief/Ninja material. Highest SPD and DEX.
Edea - Attacker material. Highest STR VIT.

Here is my general party setup:
Tiz: Red Mage / Time Mage
Agnes: Spiritmaster / White Mage
Ringabel: Thief / Freelancer
Edea: Dark Knight / Vampire (swap Vampire with Performer / Merchant etc as needed)

What are your usual setups?

kiryogi

Banned
Nothing too set in stone too as I keep having to readapt with each change. But right now I'm playing with a suicidal setup with Dark Knights. It's more like a Glass Cannon setup that also works with "See you in Hell", but hell
it got me through the normal ending
. I can't help but wonder how dumb of a setup it is XD But some of those KO deaths deal such delicious numbers.

I changed Tiz from Monk to Spell fencer and dmg went down the drain... This is with most up to date gear available... how come? I'm so overwhelmed by class based games like this :(

Exentryk

Nothing too set in stone too as I keep having to readapt with each change. But right now I'm playing with a suicidal setup with Dark Knights. It's more like a Glass Cannon setup that also works with "See you in Hell", but hell
. I can't help but wonder how dumb of a setup it is XD But some of those KO deaths deal such delicious numbers.

Use the dark knights for Rage x3 per turn (150k per Dark Knight per turn) :p. That's how I use my Edea. I have to default Edea even at 4BP sometimes so I can ensure Ringabel has stolen all the items :p

I changed Tiz from Monk to Spell fencer and dmg went down the drain... This is with most up to date gear available... how come? I'm so overwhelmed by class based games like this :(

Monk class is known for its high strength, so changing to other classes will definitely see some damage drop. Pirate class is also decent in terms for STR and damage.

Canti

Finally beat the game yesterday clocking in at 64 hours. Still have to do
the bonus dungeon and final side-quests in the last chapter
. For the last 2 chapters I was finally worn down into using a cheap glass cannon strategy -

x 2 performer w/ white mage sub (obliterate, epic group cast skills)
x 2 vampire w/ dark knight sub (regen hp/mp and revival skills and +hp rings)

Start battle, rage and x2 minus strikes with each vampire, one more for you x4 on them using the performers allowing them to immediately follow up with another 4 minus strikes each. With level 99 characters this almost guarantees 120k damage over the first two turns (regardless of any buffs/elemental strengths), taking out most enemies (on normal). If I was unlucky enough to be targeted on a vampire they would usually revive automatically or I would cast raise with a turn. This actually got me through the last battle too. Despite the end game fatigue I can't wait for the sequel. Best SE RPG in years :)

ps. Many thanks to the Abilink gaffers who helped me through!

kiryogi

Banned
Oh now I remembered what was so dumb about how I'm playing it right now. It'd often rob my suicidal char of XP/JXP. Like Edea would deal the fatal blow on upon her death and victory! But no XP/JXP for her XD

And oooh, I haven't maxed out Dark Knight yet, but yeah that said, Dark Knight + Vampire is pretty OP

Dolken

Neo Member
This game is incredible in its own right but it doesn't quite approach Final Fantasy IX territory. With that said I'm only a few hours in so here's hoping things get better.

Ironjam

Damage mainly comes from how many times you hit, not necessarily from attack strength.
Hits count = max possible hits - hits missed because of low accuracy.
As i noticed the max amount of hit you can deal comes from your job level, something like JobLvl+1 = max hits, so if you change from a lvl10 to a lvl1 job the hit count decreases from from 10-11 to 2-3.

At least thats what i noticed.

Damage mainly comes from how many times you hit, not necessarily from attack strength.
Hits count = max possible hits - hits missed because of low accuracy.
As i noticed the max amount of hit you can deal comes from your job level, something like JobLvl+1 = max hits, so if you change from a lvl10 to a lvl1 job the hit count decreases from from 10-11 to 2-3.

At least thats what i noticed.

Oh... I see. I thought it had something to do with speed

Oh... I see. I thought it had something to do with speed

It does. At the same job levels a faster class will have more hits. It's the thing that keeps Natural Talent/Knuckle Lore Freelancers with all jobs mastered from doing as much damage as you'd expect considering their P.Atk is ~twice that of the next best setup.

Oh my god, downloading the game right now and it's going slow as SHIT. I wonder if it's on Nintys end or if there is some settings I needed to look at, I haven't downloaded much of anything before on 3DS.

And are we seriously still using ''blocks''? What's the point :/

royox

Chapter: 5 "WoW, what a nice twist! Let's do this shit!"
Chapter 6: "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???"

SRSLY....dafuq.

Zornica

Banned
Wait...they do that....AGAIN????

ever saw
the endless 8 from haruhi suzimiya season 2? :p

I know many players will hate what they did with the 2nd half, but after beating the game and thinking about it for a few days, I get what they were going for. It's really the same with the
endless 8
I just mentioned. People are always quick to judge something that doesn't click with them right away and usually don't even try to understand whats going on, which is a shame.

Hasten World does not stack with itself.

Conservation of Life can only restore you 4 times if all your characters have it. But the passive costs 3 slots, which is too much given the usefulness. One can easily cast Re-Raise on the characters.

Wiki might have something?
Thanks. The wiki has nothing, unfortunately. That is wild that Hasten World doesn't stack. Too bad.

So do all of the "on death" abilities only work once per battle? The Spellsword has one for regenerating MP, summoners have one, and then Vampires have the undead ability. All of these are limit one use per battle?

See you in hell... Does that also only work once per battle?

Thanks. The wiki has nothing, unfortunately. That is wild that Hasten World doesn't stack. Too bad.

So do all of the "on death" abilities only work once per battle? The Spellsword has one for regenerating MP, summoners have one, and then Vampires have the undead ability. All of these are limit one use per battle?

See you in hell... Does that also only work once per battle?

Undead definitely works more than once per battle.

Top Bottom