• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

krossj

Found that Undead works randomly at the beginning of the turn after your character KOs if he doesn't revive at that moment then you have to do it manually and See you in Hell works every time. Kinda funny using your Dark knight as a bomb during battles.

I'm at chapter 8,
Central Command fighting Ominas, Qada, Mephilia and Yulyana. Seems difficult and I would rather just finish it. They stretch out fighting groups a bit too much in this chapter as well as fighting evreyone multiple times in previous chapters.. Is there much point to finishing all the sidequests here?

Exentryk

I'm at chapter 8,
Central Command fighting Ominas, Qada, Mephilia and Yulyana. Seems difficult and I would rather just finish it. They stretch out fighting groups a bit too much in this chapter as well as fighting evreyone multiple times in previous chapters.. Is there much point to finishing all the sidequests here?

That Qada fight is amazing. I finished them all yesterday. You don't get anything apart from some nice steals like Elixirs and some other equipment (Lordly Robes, Lilith Rods) and some amusing conversations. If you're not enjoying the challenging fights, then you can easily skip them without losing out on much.

Tip: Taking out
Qada
in one turn might help. If all fails, you have stillness.

kiryogi

Banned
Thanks. The wiki has nothing, unfortunately. That is wild that Hasten World doesn't stack. Too bad.

So do all of the "on death" abilities only work once per battle? The Spellsword has one for regenerating MP, summoners have one, and then Vampires have the undead ability. All of these are limit one use per battle?

See you in hell... Does that also only work once per battle?

Works multiple times. It's pretty pretty hilarious revenge when boss decides to OHKO a member that has it. It's really like fuck you too, but eat massive damage. The compound Phoenix Down+potion for rise and repeat.

wrowa

I just died on my way through the Conjurer side-quest and got thrown back to the title screen.

And then my mind was blown. Holy shit, is all I can say.

I just died on my way through the Conjurer side-quest and got thrown back to the title screen.

And then my mind was blown. Holy shit, is all I can say.

All our complaints that
Flying Fairy is a stupid name
were effectively silenced with that. THEY WERE PLANNING THAT FROM THE VERY BEGINNING.

Labadal

I had taken a break from the game to finish six or seven other games. Now that I've done that, I hope to complete the game this month. Chapter 3 side ques spoilers:
i just beat the Swordmaster boss. That was an intense fight. The Salve Maker job saved me on several occasions. His counterattacks did 4 times the damage of my character's HP.
It was also one of few side quests I enjoyed from a story point of view.

mclem

Finally started this. Just starting out (Got the third character). I'll sort out Friends in due course when I'm a bit more comfortable with the game makeup, but for now, I do have one quick query:

For jobs who have armor grades at E, is it better to not wear any armour, or should I still wear the armour but not expect much out of it? I'm reconciling this in my head with the idea that monks should be unarmed (or with staves, I noticed that nuance), so it makes sense to me that mages shouldn't be clad in full plate.

FryHole

Finally started this. Just starting out (Got the third character). I'll sort out Friends in due course when I'm a bit more comfortable with the game makeup, but for now, I do have one quick query:

For jobs who have armor grades at E, is it better to not wear any armour, or should I still wear the armour but not expect much out of it? I'm reconciling this in my head with the idea that monks should be unarmed (or with staves, I noticed that nuance), so it makes sense to me that mages shouldn't be clad in full plate.

I think it's a case of wearing it but not expecting much - provided it improves your stats it can't be doing any harm (I don't think), but characters with greater affinity with a piece of equipment can benefit much more from wearing it. The rating appears to be more what each character can do with that equipment beyond a baseline. Mages, as per for these games, will benefit from cloak style armour as it often improves their magic stats.

daydream

Banned
Kinda burnt out on this game two weeks ago (which has more to do with me and long games than this game in particular) and stopped at Ch. 4.

Just started Ch. 5 and I'm kinda back in? I think now would be a good time to take a look at that journal.

mclem

I think it's a case of wearing it but not expecting much - provided it improves your stats it can't be doing any harm (I don't think), but characters with greater affinity with a piece of equipment can benefit much more from wearing it. The rating appears to be more what each character can do with that equipment beyond a baseline. Mages, as per for these games, will benefit from cloak style armour as it often improves their magic stats.

Except aren't they all rank E? I've only got White Mage thus far, but I'm sure that was E for all armours. Or are bonusses on armour other than pure armour value also independent of the gain from 'good' ranks?

That is:

I have a cloak with (say) +20% magic damage on it. But if I wear that as armour on a White mage (E rank for armour), surely I don't get the 20%?

Or are cloaks simply not classed as armour for those purposes?

FryHole

Except aren't they all rank E? I've only got White Mage thus far, but I'm sure that was E for all armours. Or are bonusses on armour other than pure armour value also independent of the gain from 'good' ranks?

That is:

I have a cloak with (say) +20% magic damage on it. But if I wear that as armour on a White mage (E rank for armour), surely I don't get the 20%?

Or are cloaks simply not classed as armour for those purposes?

Ah right, I'm not sure as I'm at work - I'm sure you'll get some better answers before I can check later! It might be that effect style bonuses are independent of job-related gain, I've seen suggestions that the benefits start at 100% and with an S rating it doubles (whether or not in your example the magic bonus also goes to 40% I don't know). But it might also be that cloaks aren't classed as armour as you say - I seem to recall that helms were specifically classed separate from hats and helms have an affinity rating, while hats don't (I think? Certainly there's a Helm Lore support ability, and not a Hat Lore one, suggesting there's no way to improve hat affinity).

mclem

Ah right, I'm not sure as I'm at work - I'm sure you'll get some better answers before I can check later! It might be that effect style bonuses are independent of job-related gain, I've seen suggestions that the benefits start at 100% and with an S rating it doubles (whether or not in your example the magic bonus also goes to 40% I don't know). But it might also be that cloaks aren't classed as armour as you say - I seem to recall that helms were specifically classed separate from hats and helms have an affinity rating, while hats don't (I think? Certainly there's a Helm Lore support ability, and not a Hat Lore one, suggesting there's no way to improve hat affinity).

Thinking about it, I remember when looking through items (when starting out, so as a freelancer), I noticed some put a "B" on my portrait while others were blank. I suspect it's the blank ones that are independent of affinity, that'd make sense.

There's an obvious followup question, if that's correct, for comparison purposes: what affinity gets the pure stats from the item as presented? E, so any bonus through affinity is purely a bonus? B, because it's middling (which would fit with the freelancer having everything B)?

In other words, if I'm comparing a hat to a helm, should I compare the pure stats of the hat versus the helm on the assumption that the helm stats are based on it being worn by a B-person?

Current scores on the Bravely Quest as of 7th January
Tiz: 9.99
Agnes: 10.37
Ringabel: 10.50
Edea: 10.46

I just had a nemesis got overwritten :(. I was at four, and today's update gave me FOUR new ones. I guess I got 3 from the online streetpassing, and the new Nemesis from Square (Leviathan) that was released. Surprisingly the recommended level of Leviathan is a mere 80.

SunGod

Is anyone else having trouble farming unearthly buns? I was getting them fairly frequently but now they've just stopped dropping altogether (from the
Turtle Dove
and the NY nemesis) however I finally got to fight
Choubi
today and I got two buns in three fights.

Any ideas?

Edit: could it be that you need unscathed hero to make them drop more often?

bumpkin

I've been playing the crap out of the demo, it's more than sold me on the game; pre-ordered the Collector's Edition over the weekend.

Something I'm curious about are the jobs that aren't available in the demo. I have characters with almost every job maxed out (level 4), but no additional jobs have opened up. I assume this is an intentional limitation of the demo. Is there a guide or Wiki online that lists all of the jobs and explains what their pre-requisites are?

Leezard

I've been playing the crap out of the demo, it's more than sold me on the game; pre-ordered the Collector's Edition over the weekend.

Something I'm curious about are the jobs that aren't available in the demo. I have characters with almost every job maxed out (level 4), but no additional jobs have opened up. I assume this is an intentional limitation of the demo. Is there a guide or Wiki online that lists all of the jobs and explains what their pre-requisites are?

You cannot unlock more jobs in the demo. It is simple to unlock them in the main game.

Sorry if this has been covered a bunch already but which difficulty do you guys suggest? I finished SMT IV in normal and thought that was about right, for reference.

wrowa

Yeah, I imagine it's just like Final Fantasy Tactics where jobs had pre-requisites you had to fulfill before it opened up.

Is anyone was aware of a guide online somewhere that explains what are the jobs and their requirements are?

You are unlocking jobs through side-quests.

Is anyone else having trouble farming unearthly buns? I was getting them fairly frequently but now they've just stopped dropping altogether (from the
Turtle Dove
and the NY nemesis) however I finally got to fight
Choubi
today and I got two buns in three fights.

Any ideas?

Edit: could it be that you need unscathed hero to make them drop more often?

As far as I can tell the chance is completely random.

FryHole

Thinking about it, I remember when looking through items (when starting out, so as a freelancer), I noticed some put a "B" on my portrait while others were blank. I suspect it's the blank ones that are independent of affinity, that'd make sense.

There's an obvious followup question, if that's correct, for comparison purposes: what affinity gets the pure stats from the item as presented? E, so any bonus through affinity is purely a bonus? B, because it's middling (which would fit with the freelancer having everything B)?

In other words, if I'm comparing a hat to a helm, should I compare the pure stats of the hat versus the helm on the assumption that the helm stats are based on it being worn by a B-person?

Just to follow up on this now I'm home and can check my fine array of cloaks and hats - they're all affinity free, only armour and helms get a rating. As for the pure stats question - I've got a monk with nothing equipped here. Adding a piece of armour (E rating) with +50 p.def adds 50. However adding a robe with +40 p.def adds 72! So your partial answer is, E looks to get the base stats, and beyond that I'm buggered if I know what's going on.

Edit: switched jobs to one with S armour affinity. Add the robe, they get +72. Add the armour, they get +100. Looks like what I've seen elsewhere is right - E gets the pure stats, S gets double. Clearly the robes have their own thing going on that adds more than the stats regardless of job, and why that might be I don't know.

I tried itfor a few minutes. I really couldnt stand the visuals and needed more instruction.

Same here... I want to like this game but I just can't stand the artstyle. It rubs me off the wrong way. Kind of the same feeling as if I started playing with Barbie dolls or something. I just... I can't.

SunGod

As far as I can tell the chance is completely random.

I'm certain it's not random. I always get two out of my first three encounters, then maybe 1 in 4, then after getting around 4 from a nemesis they seem to never drop again...

I only had one NY nemesis left in my village to test on, I went in with unscathed hero on and it dropped straight away (that is after maybe 30 fights without any drops)

I know it could be completely random, but it's a big coincidence. I'll test again tomorrow after I update the village :)

Just to follow up on this now I'm home and can check my fine array of cloaks and hats - they're all affinity free, only armour and helms get a rating. As for the pure stats question - I've got a monk with nothing equipped here. Adding a piece of armour (E rating) with +50 p.def adds 50. However adding a robe with +40 p.def adds 72! So your partial answer is, E looks to get the base stats, and beyond that I'm buggered if I know what's going on.

Edit: switched jobs to one with S armour affinity. Add the robe, they get +72. Add the armour, they get +100. Looks like what I've seen elsewhere is right - E gets the pure stats, S gets double. Clearly the robes have their own thing going on that adds more than the stats regardless of job, and why that might be I don't know.

72 is +32 , which is 0.8. Seems that things that lack Affinity count as an A rank (and get 1.8 x as a result, S = 2, A = 1.8 B= 1.6 C = 1.4 D = 1.2 E = 1.0)

Zornica

Banned
Same here... I want to like this game but I just can't stand the artstyle. It rubs me off the wrong way. Kind of the same feeling as if I started playing with Barbie dolls or something. I just... I can't.

yeah, I know exactly what you mean. It's the same with me when I play any games with military brutes as protagonists. I feel like being back in my sandbox playing with some juvenile action figures. It almost made me quit on some great games. But that's my point: Almost, you shouldn't let something like that effect your enjoyment of a great game.
You may even find them charming after a while. Ringabels face and reactions always made me laugh (in a good way)

I'm certain it's not random. I always get two out of my first three encounters, then maybe 1 in 4, then after getting around 4 from a nemesis they seem to never drop again...

I only had one NY nemesis left in my village to test on, I went in with unscathed hero on and it dropped straight away (that is after maybe 30 fights without any drops)

I know it could be completely random, but it's a big coincidence. I'll test again tomorrow after I update the village :)

Now that you mention it, I seem to get more buns if I had the game in sleep mode before I tackled a nemesis. Could be confirmation bias at work, admittedly.

kiryogi

Banned
Current scores on the Bravely Quest as of 7th January
Tiz: 9.99
Agnes: 10.37
Ringabel: 10.50
Edea: 10.46

I just had a nemesis got overwritten :(. I was at four, and today's update gave me FOUR new ones. I guess I got 3 from the online streetpassing, and the new Nemesis from Square (Leviathan) that was released. Surprisingly the recommended level of Leviathan is a mere 80.

TEAM EDEEEEEEEEEEEEEA

;-;

SunGod

Now that you mention it, I seem to get more buns if I had the game in sleep mode before I tackled a nemesis. Could be confirmation bias at work, admittedly.

At this stage mine is always in sleep mode if I'm not updating to fight the new nemesis I get each day, so it could be that...

Although earlier I'd been playing for an hour before I got that bun (and had killed a few Turtle Doves beforehand to get that unscathed hero bonus)

Labadal

OMG, lol at the
Ninja sub quest
. Ringabel was hilarious. I love him. His comments in the main story right after that was also amusing. I think I'm easy to please, like immature stuff, haha.

Oh, and the boss for that quest was also very fun. All boss fights have been fun so far. I've hated two of them, the rest have been fun, even the ones I where i got vanwuished a couple of times.

also

Banned
Finally finished with the good ending. Is there a list of all the party chat events and a guide on how to get all the alternate cutscenes?

The Bravely Second video was, bad lip synch aside, absolutely brilliant. I really hope Western sales are strong enough for the sequel to be localized.

Finally finished with the good ending. Is there a list of all the party chat events and a guide on how to get all the alternate cutscenes?

The Bravely Second video was, bad lip synch aside, absolutely brilliant. I really hope Western sales are strong enough for the sequel to be localized.

It's a positive sign that SE / Nintendo are at least willing to consider bringing it over, given that the video was translated and included at all (since they removed everything to do with the Square Member's Site from the English version it wasn't included just because they couldn't be bothered doing the programming work to cut it).

Bazza

This game finally sold me on a 3DS,few pennys left over from my Christmas bonus spare helped. Picked up this and an XL, first impressions of the game are positive but the 3DS has confirmed my suspicion I need glasses, my 3D viewing sweetspot is tiny, ahh well knew it was coming.

Suppose I should start adding people.

Drat. I was saving Nemesis for a friend who hasn't gotten the game yet but I just ran out of slots.

Which Nemesis don't have anything useful / interesting ?

Belphegor has all 3 -ja spells right ?
I have an Elxir Mammon which has well Elixier
Baal i & the New Years day Nemesis have Unearthly Bun drops.

Anything else worth holding on to or should I murder everything else to free some space ?

Exentryk

All 99 ones drop unearthly buns, so you can't lose those. Beelzebub, Satan, Azmodeus and non Elixir Mammons can be murdered. They're easy enough to receive again with daily updates.

Elixir mammon be the most useful for your friend anyway.

Stats wise, all you need are the unearthly buns as they increase all stats.

Wow. High Jump + Hasten World and Auto. An effective yet cheesy feeling way to murder just about anything that isn't the New Year's Day Nemesis , Belphegor or Leviathon. Unless you can murder Belphegor eventually using Donnerschlag or some other elemental spear.

Exentryk

Yeah. Between High Jump + Hasten World and Stillness + Hasten World, they've got all bosses covered. Belphegor is an oddity though. Have you fought Leviathan already? I didn't get him today -.-

krossj

Just completed it! Finished all the sidequests in chapter 8 too. Got easier after reinstating a spiritmaster. I had a fun time with it overall. The job system and battles were great and the options over battle encounters and battle speed was nice. The environment concept art and music were excellent too.
The friend cutscenes in the last boss battle made repeating the earlier content a lot more understandable but I still think they could have removed a couple of chapters.

Considering going back someday and playing through the extra dungeon. I hope Bravely Second gets localised. Would enjoy getting to play another game with a similar battle system and art implementation.

Top Bottom