• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

2San

Nothing I can do?
You can wait till you get another one. :p Or ask someone who has the correct one to send you it(I don't have it). There are other ways to make money though, gamefaqs board seems to have a few methods here and there. I haven't tried them though.

Exentryk

What's Bravely Quest?

Auto battle strategy for the new Level 80 nemesis:

I wonder if
'Pierce Magic Defense' will work against his magic resistant form?

EDIT -
You could use a Red Mage with Holy One and Group-Cast All (Black Mage Lv14 ability). That should improve your heals by 2.5x and give you the ability to group cast Esuna etc.
Or for pure healing, just use Holy One + Healing Lore and a Cura will be enough to heal your whole party to full health.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think I have a mammon that gives elixirs.

IIRC you can send them to people if they're on your friends list.

I'd be really grateful if you'd like to send me one! :) my fc is on my profile

Exentryk

Elixir mammons can't be sent like that to friends. You get them from daily net updates (which randomly selects people around the world), and from people you streetpass.

Highwind

Oh, must have read it wrong then.

That's a shame, though atleast you got a summon which does 9999 damage pretty early on in the game. :(

Zornica

Banned
I wouldn't say that the Red Mage's healing abilities are useless later in the game. With certain support abilities, Cura is enough to completely heal the whole party in a single turn even later in the game. However, I don't think that the Black Magic skill are really worth the compromise. Black Magic in general doesn't really seems to be worth the hassle in this game and Black Magic only up to level 4 even less so.

Yeah, I'd say red mages stop being useful around the same time as black magic stops being useful anyway. It's probably better to just get a white mage instead. (until then, the class was actually pretty good, or at least that's what I thought)

2San

Elixir mammons can't be sent like that to friends. You get them from daily net updates (which randomly selects people around the world), and from people you streetpass.
Really? That's kinda sad, why can't they be sent? Seems like an odd restriction.

Exentryk

Red Mages are more useful as a support role, like for increasing 6BP per turn for the whole party. My team wouldn't function without one.

Exentryk

I use a performer with miscellany and mimic x3 my hero. How does red mage work?

I found the red mage setup superior for raising BP, as the performer has to default first and can only restore 4BP at best. Not to mention Hasten World gives too many turns to enemies.

Bascially, have your red mage with:
- Group Cast All (Black Mage ability)
- BP Recovery (Red Mage ability)
- Status Ailment Amp (Arcanist ability?)

Give every character the BP recovery passive.

Then, with your red mage, cast the following
Poison
Poison
Poison
Esuna

With Group Cast All, magic will be cast on the whole party and you'll recover 6BP for your whole team.
I also gave him the Time Mage sub job to cast group Re-raise for when I'm not needing that much BP. Usually 4BP is enough, and can spare one turn to cast buffs like Quick, Protect etc on the team. Works really well.

Realyn

Some story thoughts(no spoilers, just my view):

I've just finished the
fire temple
. You don't have to be a genius to figure out that the first 4 chapters are about awaken the 4 crystals. I don't know how many chapters there will be in total, but I would guess about 8-10.

What I think will happen next: You awaken the last crystal, save the world, yabba dabba do and everyone is happy. Some huge plot twist will happen and the mastermind behind it all will reveal himself. Oh and yeah, Ringabell's journal. At worst you get x number of chapters where you have to "awaken" something again. I really hope this does not happen.

What I really really would love to happen: Time jump. Both in the future and the past would work well in my view. For the future I would refer to Breath of Fire III. Sure, I really loved this game and might be a bit biased, but I think the way they used a time jump was excelent. Oh and Terranigma(iirc) did it aswell. Going back into the past/alternative reality with Ringabell would work aswell.

Why this won't happen? Simple: It's so much more easy to recycle the world you've allready created. Same locations(blue chests *cough*), same monsters ...

Meh ... you can dream, right?

SunGod

It's something in the japanese version only unfortunately. It involves the usage of Square Enix members site. Members can upload their save data and participate in community wide quests for prizes and glory.

Oh cool, shame I can't participate :(

I wonder if
'Pierce Magic Defense' will work against his magic resistant form?

EDIT -
You could use a Red Mage with Holy One and Group-Cast All (Black Mage Lv14 ability). That should improve your heals by 2.5x and give you the ability to group cast Esuna etc.
Or for pure healing, just use Holy One + Healing Lore and a Cura will be enough to heal your whole party to full health.

I'll have to check Pierce Magic Defense if I get another one to fight. Will have to play using just Speed+20% then. Why do you need to heal? Just use Stillness :) also Esuna won't get rid of Doom...

Exentryk

I'll have to check Pierce Magic Defense if I get another one to fight. Will have to play using just Speed+20% then. Why do you need to heal? Just use Stillness :) also Esuna won't get rid of Doom...

That red mage part was directed towards earlier discussion on their usefulness, not at this fight.

The boss's speed is only 80 so no issues with speed +20%. I'll set up the stillness method when I get another one to fight, and test pierce magic defense as well.

SunGod

That red mage part was directed towards earlier discussion on their usefulness, not at this fight.

Ah okay :)
If Pierce Magic Defense works then that'll cut the time down considerably. I'll try tomorrow as well if I can get another Leviathan...

ss-hikaru

I just got my copy of the Artbook (SAL shipping...) and I'm disappointed by the lack of ringabel :(

Laughing at the different white mage hats though XD

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Some story thoughts(no spoilers, just my view):

I've just finished the
fire temple
. You don't have to be a genius to figure out that the first 4 chapters are about awaken the 4 crystals. I don't know how many chapters there will be in total, but I would guess about 8-10.

What I think will happen next: You awaken the last crystal, save the world, yabba dabba do and everyone is happy. Some huge plot twist will happen and the mastermind behind it all will reveal himself. Oh and yeah, Ringabell's journal. At worst you get x number of chapters where you have to "awaken" something again. I really hope this does not happen.

What I really really would love to happen: Time jump. Both in the future and the past would work well in my view. For the future I would refer to Breath of Fire III. Sure, I really loved this game and might be a bit biased, but I think the way they used a time jump was excelent. Oh and Terranigma(iirc) did it aswell. Going back into the past/alternative reality with Ringabell would work aswell.

Why this won't happen? Simple: It's so much more easy to recycle the world you've allready created. Same locations(blue chests *cough*), same monsters ...

Meh ... you can dream, right?

Just know that the other half of the game is really trash. The game is perfect - in a retrogaming nostalgic way - untill chapter 5. After that... yuk.

And then you (hopefully) reach the ending, and all is forgiven.

I really don't like the story of this game, asides from the side-stories scattered around that are really sweet. I loved the teaser but... the ending didn't justify all the pain I had to endure. Really too much recycle sincerely. Game was perfect without, could've ended in chapter 5 perfectly.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
How do I update my summoner and his moves ? (The one that shows up in my friends's list)

I cannot deal with Mephilia with a lv 20 party .. :/ any tip?

Edit: bombs helped :)

How do I update my summoner and his moves ? (The one that shows up in my friends's list)

I cannot deal with Mephilia with a lv 20 party .. :/ any tip?

You need to use Send and then use a move to update the friend list. If you mean to refresh them they'll only refresh if your friend resends.

Her summon is predictable (she uses it every 3rd turn) so default when she uses it. I believe you should have an Earth Ward accessory at that point. (her summon is Earth elemental).

fruiteater

Neo Member
Hi I just started to play, just gonna post so people can add me in game.

friendcode 0404-6728-4733
Username and gaf FruitEater
Country Sweden

wrowa

I really, really enjoyed chapter 5 and onwards. The game gives you much more room to explore its job system to the fullest from that point on.

FryHole

I really, really enjoyed chapter 5 and onwards. The game gives you much more room to explore its job system to the fullest from that point on.

For me, I think chapter five was
the lowest point, simply because of the disappointment on realising you're not going to be exploring some amazing new environments. Seeing all those blue icons on the map and immediately recognising every location is deflating. The game does a damn good job of pulling you out of that, though, with the story developments in chapter six, then the way chapter seven almost feels like a victory lap with some more light-hearted battles with multiple antagonists, and finally some incredibly tough multi-boss fights in chapter 8. As you say, the mechanics really start to shine in the later chapters, too.

SunGod

The boss's speed is only 80 so no issues with speed +20%. I'll set up the stillness method when I get another one to fight, and test pierce magic defense as well.

Pierce Magic Defense works :) because of Leviathan's low health I switched things around, equipped everyone with Safety Rings to protect from Death, had 3 Time Mage/Freelancers using Meteor, Mimic x3 and my final character as a Spiritmaster/Freelancer acting last and using Mimic (Meteor), Stillness. You'll win before Doom can kill anyone.

Kater

Banned
Well, you weren't kidding about the twist in the story.
I'm back at the beginning? Just beat Barras and Lehr again. :/
(Chapter 5 spoilers)

Well, you weren't kidding about the twist in the story.
I'm back at the beginning? Just beat Barras and Lehr again. :/
(Chapter 5 spoilers)

It'll all make sense in due time. If you haven't done so I highly recommend you
read the journal you just picked up.

I bet my team will lose because of all the freeloaders jumping in when the average was high. I guess the results will be in tomorrow morning.

Kater

Banned
It'll all make sense in due time. If you haven't done so I highly recommend you
read the journal you just picked up.
I skimmed through it but I can't really make that much out of it.
Obviously, Ringabel is somehow Alternis. But I don't know how. Time-travel, maybe?

kiryogi

Banned
Almost 100 hours here. . . I am absolutely loving the boss battles chapter 5 and onward.
While repeating every thing is a little soul killing, I really love the new character development we get on the Eternian forces. Getting to see a side you haven't seen before, or even learning about their true motivations. Of course some of it is silly. . . GIRL POWER. You have no girl power. XD Cue angry Edea and Agnes. Then theres Holly and Barras with the reraise and I thought that was cute. Loving it. I'm a bit sad that despite Ringabel being known as Alternis that it doesn't really change Edea that much. That party chat with him inviting her to dinner was a little cold.

Just looked @ a faq for Chapter 8 battles and that looks absolutely fucking brutal. I'm a bit demoralized right now D:

also

Banned
Almost 100 hours here. . . I am absolutely loving the boss battles chapter 5 and onward.
While repeating every thing is a little soul killing, I really love the new character development we get on the Eternian forces. Getting to see a side you haven't seen before, or even learning about their true motivations. Of course some of it is silly. . . GIRL POWER. You have no girl power. XD Cue angry Edea and Agnes. Then theres Holly and Barras with the reraise and I thought that was cute. Loving it. I'm a bit sad that despite Ringabel being known as Alternis that it doesn't really change Edea that much. That party chat with him inviting her to dinner was a little cold.

Just looked @ a faq for Chapter 8 battles and that looks absolutely fucking brutal. I'm a bit demoralized right now D:
Agree. I didn't skip a single subquest because I wanted to get as much dialogue as possible. Some silliness and the excessive positivity (a stark contrast compared to the grim
first 4 chapters
) of chapter
aside, I loved it.

There's an easy way to beat those and pretty much any other boss battle.
Just use a Stillness (Spiritmaster) and Hasten World (Time Mage) setup. The only problematic team is the status effect one; make sure to get sleep and charm resistance on the stillness caster and at least charm resistance on the rest of the team.

I've been playing the demo while waiting for Feb to get here... and it's really fun! But.. are there good ways to get money in the full game besides grinding enemies? I feel constantly broke all the time in the demo because as soon as I get any money from sidequests, it goes to buying new spells or a new weapon. Even grinding enemies gives very little really, and none of the items you can sell from enemy drops give much at all.

Exentryk

Pierce Magic Defense works :) because of Leviathan's low health I switched things around, equipped everyone with Safety Rings to protect from Death, had 3 Time Mage/Freelancers using Meteor, Mimic x3 and my final character as a Spiritmaster/Freelancer acting last and using Mimic (Meteor), Stillness. You'll win before Doom can kill anyone.

That's excellent. Good work speeding it up even more.

I've been playing the demo while waiting for Feb to get here... and it's really fun! But.. are there good ways to get money in the full game besides grinding enemies? I feel constantly broke all the time in the demo because as soon as I get any money form sidequests, it goes to buying new spells or a new weapon. Even grinding enemies gives very little really, and none of the items you can sell from enemy drops give much at all.

There are easier ways to earn money in the full game.

Verendus

Banned
I started this today at work. Played an hour.

My impressions so far:

Background art is gorgeous. I haven't played a classic RPG in years now, so I was feeling all nostalgic as soon the main character woke up in that house. It reminds me of FFIX so far. Inspecting surroundings, kiddish artstyle and so on. Battle system seems cool and I think I'll be fine with it.

Dialogue is atrocious. I think the voice acting makes it much worse, but I'm so forgiving right now since I haven't played a turn based RPG in so long.

The AR thing caught me out at the beginning. I didn't know what the hell I was doing. I got there at the end though, thanks to Sir Google.

I'm looking forward to this. I've seen praise here and there, and the OT title of course spoke to me. I decided to play this first instead of Fire Emblem Awakening. I hope I get a great game out of it all.

Only one question; what kind of length is the main quest? I'm not the type to waste time completing everything so that doesn't really matter to me. Once I'm done, I'm done. Can I get this over with in about 30 hours? Or is it longer than that? Gotta prepare myself mentally.

Exentryk

I started this today at work. Played an hour.

Only one question; what kind of length is the main quest? I'm not the type to waste time completing everything so that doesn't really matter to me. Once I'm done, I'm done. Can I get this over with in about 30 hours? Or is it longer than that? Gotta prepare myself mentally.

30-50 hours I'd say. I'm at 100+ though and still haven't finished.

30-50 sounds right? I think I reached the halfway point around 50-60?

I was at 130 hours when I 100%d it (D's Journal complete, both endings , all the optional boss battles, had 4 of each armor/accessory, 8 of each weapon/shield , or the maximum possible to get etc).

You could cut a lot of time off that, since I spent a fair bit cross checking stuff with Japanese wiki's (which sometimes disagreed with each other) to make sure I didn't miss anything. That and you don't get anything for fighting the
Keystone Dragons
more than twice (once is needed for a subquest, and once more to have the key items they drop in your inventory). I also accidentally left my 3DS turned on for 10 hours one time instead of sleeping.

And I wasted a lot (like over 12 hours) of time grinding in Chapter 3 (because I felt bad about sending out poor Abilinks) and again in Chapter 5 , its far more efficient to grind in Chapter 6.

zoukka

Heh first optional fight I can't seem to win. Though only tried twice, that red mage puts out some serious hurt :(

Mebbe it's some main story action first and come back to kick his ass later.

Heh first optional fight I can't seem to win. Though only tried twice, that red mage puts out some serious hurt :(

Mebbe it's some main story action first and come back to kick his ass later.

If you have a Locket, you could try equipping it on your White Mage.

peakish

I got this and a 3DS just yesterday, put some hours in it and I'm having a lot of fun right now. The combat and skill systems are simple enough for me as a jrpg lightweight to understand and I'm looking forward to getting even more jobs than the first four I have available right now. The art is beautiful too.

I'll see how long I can keep the difficulty on hard, I'd hope it gets a bit more difficult than now even if I've been wiped a few times by some damn orcs.

The final tally is in.

1. Team Ringabel 11.05 Nemeses
2. Team Edea 10.73 Nemeses
3. Team Agnès 10.60 Nemeses
4. Team Tiz 10.32 Nemeses

No more "social" stuff please ;//

Wow Ringabel got a HUGE boost at the end. What does the item you get do? A stat booster like the buns from the nemeses? I'm trying to imagine how creative they can be with future Bravely Quests, and I don't have much hope for it.

Top Bottom