• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Wow Ringabel got a HUGE boost at the end. What does the item you get do? A stat booster like the buns from the nemeses? I'm trying to imagine how creative they can be with future Bravely Quests, and I don't have much hope for it.

Team Ringabel players got 3 Unearthly Buns (HP +100, MP +50, STR +1, INT +1, MND +1, AGI +1, VIT +2, DEX +2).
Team Edea, Agnès, and Tiz got 5, 4, and 3 Strength Buns respectively.

SunGod

Team Ringabel players got 3 Unearthly Buns (HP +100, MP +50, STR +1, INT +1, MND +1, AGI +1, VIT +2, DEX +2).
Team Edea, Agnès, and Tiz got 5, 4, and 3 Strength Buns respectively.

Unearthly buns are random stat gains, worst case scenario you get HP +100, MP +50, all stats +1. The best case I've seen is getting HP +300, MP +50, 2 stats +3 and the rest +1, or the same but HP +100, MP +150.

Oxx

I'm at 30 hours in chapter 4 and making pretty slow progress.

I failed the
Victor/Victoria
fight and went to play Zelda instead.

Unearthly buns are random stat gains, worst case scenario you get HP +100, MP +50, all stats +1. The best case I've seen is getting HP +300, MP +50, 2 stats +3 and the rest +1, or the same but HP +100, MP +150.

Lame, but I wasn't planning to use them anyway.
OYcLuYY.png

SunGod

Lame, but I wasn't planning to use them anyway.
OYcLuYY.png

Scratch that. Just got HP+200, MP+100, STR+2, VIT+3, INT+1, MND+1, AGI+2, DEX+2 from one.

Already beaten everything so this is just for fun now. Shame SQEX don't seem to want to release a truly difficult nemesis battle to pit my characters against...

royox

Dialogue is atrocious. I think the voice acting makes it much worse, but I'm so forgiving right now since I haven't played a turn based RPG in so long.

You can play with original japanese dub witch is far better than the english one.

FryHole

You can play with original japanese dub witch is far better than the english one.

Yup, it's the only way to play - I was surprised to see someone slating the dialogue, I thought it was excellent, surprisingly funny and sophisticated in places.

zoukka

Yup, it's the only way to play - I was surprised to see someone slating the dialogue, I thought it was excellent, surprisingly funny and sophisticated in places.

It's the usual four dull charicatyres of young teens who don't know anything. I stopped reading the optional dialogues long time ago. Painstaking stuff.

Labadal

Early chapter 4 spoilers:
That ice Golem was crazy hard. I lost three times before i beat it. In the end, i decided to default a lot and do a lot of counter damage to it. Had to use my specials, too. The salve Maker job is a lifesaver, used resurrect and and first aid like a madman.

ys45

First look at the Canadian cover:

coah.png

Run for your lives :(

Do they really need to tell us that the game is also available in French ?
I mean the game is gonna be available in a bunch of languages anyway -_-

Oh and i bet the game will not have any freaking manual, for that kind of game I think it's pretty ridiculous to not have one.
We will get tons of tutorials and text pop-up in the first 5 hours of the game instead >_<

Oh and quick question about the town building, I have zero friend with a 3DS am I screwed to quickly build the town ? Will I be stuck with like 2 villagers ? can you add/street pass people from the internet instead ?

FryHole

Do they really need to tell us that the game is also available in French ?
I mean the game is gonna be available in a bunch of languages anyway -_-

Oh and i bet the game will not have any freaking manual, for that kind of game I think it's pretty ridiculous to not have one.
We will get tons of tutorials and text pop-up in the first 5 hours of the game instead >_<

Oh and quick question about the town building, I have zero friend with a 3DS am I screwed to quickly build the town ? Will I be stuck with like 2 villagers ? can you add/street pass people from the internet instead ?

The PAL release comes with a fold out quick guide (controls, online stuff, battle basics) and an electronic manual. And no, you're not screwed - you can update data once a day to get 3 - 5 villagers (per day) from random internet hits.

ys45

The PAL release comes with a fold out quick guide (controls, online stuff, battle basics) and an electronic manual. And no, you're not screwed - you can update data once a day to get 3 - 5 villagers (per day) from random internet hits.

Cool thanks !

Oxx

I have 180-ish villagers now. And they're all sitting around getting fat because I saved the village in about a week.

Phew, it took all week to read this thread but finally caught up. Sucks having to wait a month to get this after reading all the fun you guys have had but at least there have been useful pointers. I already cleared the demo and am currently trying to get up to 20 villagers before the full game releases but I have some questions to you vets:

1. How does AB Link work exactly? So you link to a friend and you access all the abilities their potentially higher level job has but is this permanent? Or do you only get it for one fight?

2. How do you change what action your character will perform as a summon? In the demo, you just use a potion and I saw there's a send command in battle but I didn't see where you modify what action you'll perform for your friend when they summon you.

3. Are there good spots to grind in the early chapters? I've read some of you say the later chapters are much better for the JP increases, but I've also read that Freelancer has the JP Up ability which I'd think you would want ASAP. I also have the intent to just become super powerful and crush everything in the game and if I wait until chapter 6 to grind..that's over half the game gone without being a powerhouse. So are there good grind spots in the first half of the game and classes worth trying to max out at that point?

4. Do you have to progress the game a bit at the start to access the village? It'd be cool to milk street pass for villagers at gamestop when I pick up the game but obviously that won't work if I have to progress a ways in.

Thanks to those that answer my questions!

FryHole

Phew, it took all week to read this thread but finally caught up. Sucks having to wait a month to get this after reading all the fun you guys have had but at least there have been useful pointers. I already cleared the demo and am currently trying to get up to 20 villagers before the full game releases but I have some questions to you vets:

1. How does AB Link work exactly? So you link to a friend and you access all the abilities their potentially higher level job has but is this permanent? Or do you only get it for one fight?

2. How do you change what action your character will perform as a summon? In the demo, you just use a potion and I saw there's a send command in battle but I didn't see where you modify what action you'll perform for your friend when they summon you.

3. Are there good spots to grind in the early chapters? I've read some of you say the later chapters are much better for the JP increases, but I've also read that Freelancer has the JP Up ability which I'd think you would want ASAP. I also have the intent to just become super powerful and crush everything in the game and if I wait until chapter 6 to grind..that's over half the game gone without being a powerhouse. So are there good grind spots in the first half of the game and classes worth trying to max out at that point?

4. Do you have to progress the game a bit at the start to access the village? It'd be cool to milk street pass for villagers at gamestop when I pick up the game but obviously that won't work if I have to progress a ways in.

Thanks to those that answer my questions!

1. Yes, it's permanent - abilink to a friend and you have access to their job abilities, so you could level up different jobs and access each other's progress, essentially halving the time to level everything up. It's one character per friend, but the game will give you bot friends if you don't have enough real life friends playing.

2. I think when you choose Send you have the ability to change what you're sending, but I never used it so I'm not 100%. Edit: yeah if you select Send you then pick a command from your usual battle menu.

3. Not sure about earlier than this (I did some grinding by mostly just running about wherever I was at the time) but there's a smallish island in the northeast of the map that has a beach on the south end and ice up north. The beach is excellent for grinding, and accessible after
chapter 3

4. You do, a bit. Couldn't say exactly how long you'd have to stand in the shop though!

1. Yes, it's permanent - abilink to a friend and you have access to their job abilities, so you could level up different jobs and access each other's progress, essentially halving the time to level everything up. It's one character per friend, but the game will give you bot friends if you don't have enough real life friends playing.

2. I think when you choose Send you have the ability to change what you're sending, but I never used it so I'm not 100%. Edit: yeah if you select Send you then pick a command from your usual battle menu.

3. Not sure about earlier than this (I did some grinding by mostly just running about wherever I was at the time) but there's a smallish island in the northeast of the map that has a beach on the south end and ice up north. The beach is excellent for grinding, and accessible after
chapter 3

4. You do, a bit. Couldn't say exactly how long you'd have to stand in the shop though!
Holy Moley! That's pretty crazy but I guess the game caps you at 4 characters and thus, four jobs so you couldn't do it for every class. Or can that person just change what class they are and you do an update and get them all that way? Can you even get classes you haven't unlocked yet in your game? That's wild

Ah, I wondered if that would be the case, I never selected send thinking it would send my crap potion ability haha

I have no idea how many job classes you get in the first few chapters so maybe it won't even be a big deal to level stuff up yet but I'd still think the JP UP ability would be quite handy.

That's what I figured, oh well haha I'll have minimum 23-5 to start so I guess I can't complain.

Thanks for your response!

royox

Chapter5.

Just got the Vampire job.

Read all the info about the pictures on Ringabel's diary.

"omg could it be..."

See the AR intro of the game.

Kevin-Butler-Mind-Blown.gif

KHlover

Banned
Just finished Chapter 2. Goddamn, that Summoner side quest was tragic. Poor girls :(
The side quests in general are a lot darker than I expected after playing the demo o_O

Btw, do you guys think LV32/JL9/JL4 for each character is overleveled or is the level still in a normal area? I can't judge it by the difficulty of the bosses. The turtle and Valkyrie almost wiped me, but the Red Mage and Chapter Boss (that water thing) were a complete joke.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
^^^

I'm level 21 at the same point in the story where you are. Getting trashed by giant turtle and artemis

Maybe I need to grind some ;_;

royox

Just finished Chapter 2. Goddamn, that Summoner side quest was tragic. Poor girls :(
The side quests in general are a lot darker than I expected after playing the demo o_O

Btw, do you guys think LV32/JL9/JL4 for each character is overleveled or is the level still in a normal area? I can't judge it by the difficulty of the bosses. The turtle and Valkyrie almost wiped me, but the Red Mage and Chapter Boss (that water thing) were a complete joke.

This game some times depends more on the tactic than the level.

I wiped several times on Red Mage and Water thing....but dstroyed the Valkyrie and the Hunter at 1st try...

Gambit

Quick spoiler question about ending
s................... ;-)

Is the Final chapter worth it or should I proceed to the True Final?

It feels so counterintuitive to keep following orders for the true ending.

FryHole

Quick spoiler question about ending
s................... ;-)

Is the Final chapter worth it or should I proceed to the True Final?

It feels so counterintuitive to keep following orders for the true ending.

Yeah, I think the game is
designed to encourage you to do both - all that stuff about disobeying, it's clearly pushing you to try and break a crystal at some point. You'll get a different type of reveal and more story detail. Sadly the lead-up to the true ending is then not particularly well-handled, as - like you say - it requires you to ignore the twist and keep doing what you were beginning to become highly suspicious of doing in the previous chapter.

Gambit

Yeah, I think the game is
designed to encourage you to do both - all that stuff about disobeying, it's clearly pushing you to try and break a crystal at some point. You'll get a different type of reveal and more story detail. Sadly the lead-up to the true ending is then not particularly well-handled, as - like you say - it requires you to ignore the twist and keep doing what you were beginning to become highly suspicious of doing in the previous chapter.

thanks, I'll do both.

If there's a difference, it'll be worth it.

Am in chapter 8 and Level 99, but I'd like to master the rest of the jobs. What's a good place to grind JP? still on that island north of Florem?

FryHole

thanks, I'll do both.

If there's a difference, it'll be worth it.

Am in chapter 8 and Level 99, but I'd like to master the rest of the jobs. What's a good place to grind JP? still on that island north of Florem?

There maybe somewhere better, but yeah that was always my favourite spot, northeast of Florem with ice and a beach, with grinding done on the beach.
I set an arcanist with black mage support, cast poison twice and then exterminate to run through crowds like the proverbial dose of salts. Get the growth egg and you'll be getting 400 - 900 JP per battle with bonuses. Once you've got conjurer high enough, obliterate is even better.

Gambit

There maybe somewhere better, but yeah that was always my favourite spot, northeast of Florem with ice and a beach, with grinding done on the beach.
I set an arcanist with black mage support, cast poison twice and then exterminate to run through crowds like the proverbial dose of salts. Get the growth egg and you'll be getting 400 - 900 JP per battle with bonuses. Once you've got conjurer high enough, obliterate is even better.

Ok, I'll stick to it then. Last time round Tiz' Bone Crush was enough usually.

New Bravely Quest for Japan, they want us to surpass a total of 160k registered BD friends by Jan 22. Current friend count is 143,544. No teams this time.

Gambit

Lucifer
(Lv 70 Nemeses) wrapped up in one turn on hard :D

Got bored with the usual stillness method, so Raged a little with the Dark Knights.
(This setup has 300K damage output in the first turn. Lucifer's HP is 270K on hard.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZxnXAy0raE

out of curiosity, what's the setup of your characters?

Atm, my preferred method is still Free lunch-Amped strike with two characters, while the other two sing them back for the next turn.

If there are more enemies, I use stillness to re-charge. Compared to your strategy that seems very slow.

EDIT: BTW: I know for certain that I would NEVER have finished the original release. In later chapters the abaility to switch random encounters off is a godsend!

Exentryk

out of curiosity, what's the setup of your characters?

Atm, my preferred method is still Free lunch-Amped strike with two characters, while the other two sing them back for the next turn.

If there are more enemies, I use stillness to re-charge. Compared to your strategy that seems very slow.

EDIT: BTW: I know for certain that I would NEVER have finished the original release. In later chapters the abaility to switch random encounters off is a godsend!

I posted it in the description of the video, but here it is again.

3x Dark Knights with Sword Magic job command
P. ATK 30% Up
BP Recovery
Bow Lore
Bow Weapon
Strength raising equipment
Hermes Shoes/Sandals

1x Red Mage with Singing job command
Status Ailment Amp
Group-Cast All
Speed 10% Up
2x Falcon Knives
Whatever equipment
Hermes Shoes

Turns:
Red Mage - Poison (on allies), Poison (on allies), Love Power, Love Power
Dark Knights - Drain, Rage, Rage

SunGod

I posted it in the description of the video, but here it is again.

3x Dark Knights with Sword Magic job command
P. ATK 30% Up
BP Recovery
Bow Lore
Bow Weapon
Strength raising equipment
Hermes Shoes/Sandals

1x Red Mage with Singing job command
Status Ailment Amp
Group-Cast All
Speed 10% Up
2x Falcon Knives
Whatever equipment
Hermes Shoes

Turns:
Red Mage - Poison (on allies), Poison (on allies), Love Power, Love Power
Dark Knights - Drain, Rage, Rage

Don't forget to get Aeroja! I've given up all hope of being sent a Belphegor. He's the only one I missed :( and I'd like to get Firaja to complete my save file.

Danneee

On the edge of buying either this or Chrono Trigger. Any risk of this getting rare or did it sell extremely well (for a JRPG)? Or any other reason I should buy one over the other (CT is the DS version).

Fehyd

Banned
So played the NA demo.

I really am at a loss for why we continue seeing these "more traditional" jrpg games on portables and nothing of them on home consoles.

I'll still pick it up when it releases, but my goodness the art style and design would be much better suited in HD.

zroid

Banned
So played the NA demo.

I really am at a loss for why we continue seeing these "more traditional" jrpg games on portables and nothing of them on home consoles.

I'll still pick it up when it releases, but my goodness the art style and design would be much better suited in HD.

$$$

Fehyd

Banned

If PS4 does well in Japan, here's to hoping the series gets brought to next-gen.

Although, since Nintendo is publisher outside of Japan, its not too likely I don't think.

I did love what I played however, but it just makes me want to go play some psone classics on my ps3.

FryHole

On the edge of buying either this or Chrono Trigger. Any risk of this getting rare or did it sell extremely well (for a JRPG)? Or any other reason I should buy one over the other (CT is the DS version).

You can buy Bravely Default on the eshop should physical copies ever become hard to find, though I've no idea about sales so far.

As for which one to get, I love BD but, well, it's Chrono Trigger, innit? If you've not played it before you're missing out on a classic.

wrowa

It's quite hard to find at European retailers, at least in certain countries. In Germany, I haven't seen any copies in stores since release week. Amazon.de doesn't have it in stock since then either and it's's being sold only on their marketplace -- for roughly 60€. The situation seems to be exactly the same in France.

So, yeah, if you want to own a physical copy, it might be a good idea to buy it sooner rather than later.

Danneee

You can buy Bravely Default on the eshop should physical copies ever become hard to find, though I've no idea about sales so far.

As for which one to get, I love BD but, well, it's Chrono Trigger, innit? If you've not played it before you're missing out on a classic.

It's quite hard to find at European retailers, at least in certain countries. In Germany, I haven't seen any copies in stores since release week. Amazon.de doesn't have it in stock since then either and it's's being sold only on their marketplace -- for roughly 60€. The situation seems to be exactly the same in France.

So, yeah, if you want to own a physical copy, it might be a good idea to buy it sooner rather than later.

Alright, I'll just buy them both:)

Top Bottom