• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

kiryogi

Banned
If PS4 does well in Japan, here's to hoping the series gets brought to next-gen.

Although, since Nintendo is publisher outside of Japan, its not too likely I don't think.

I did love what I played however, but it just makes me want to go play some psone classics on my ps3.

Think the issue here as mentioned in the game's premise, this is more so catered to the old Final Fantasy fans. . . While the next gen market is more the modern type.

Oxx

Chapter 4 spoilers:

Braev's words at the end of the battle were pretty funny because my Edea was actually lying face-down after getting KO'd.

wrowa

Question regarding the beginning of the True Ending chapter:
When you meet the sage, he says something about hidden arms somewhere. I was a little tired when playing and didn't catch what place he was referring to. So uh... where has he hidden something?

jgkspsx

I am at the rock monster in the demo, which just killed me to death despite 3h42m of play and a lot of grinding. It reminds me a lot of Dragon Quest IX, but more mechanically interesting and a lot less charming. I like that the jobs cap off at level 4... or is that just the demo? At least it should make job development a lot less of a pain.

But JEEZ the amount of grinding. I do not have time for this anymore. I bet you don't have time for this anymore, if you really think about it. I regret the hundreds of hours I spent on DQIX badly.

I am at the rock monster in the demo, which just killed me to death despite 3h42m of play and a lot of grinding. It reminds me a lot of Dragon Quest IX, but more mechanically interesting and a lot less charming. I like that the jobs cap off at level 4... or is that just the demo? At least it should make job development a lot less of a pain.

But JEEZ the amount of grinding. I do not have time for this anymore. I bet you don't have time for this anymore, if you really think about it. I regret the hundreds of hours I spent on DQIX badly.

Jobs cap at 14 in the full version and grinding is so easy in this game with auto attack and fast forward. Also you can change the encounter rate.

I think this game handles it perfectly. I can't go back to games where I can't change the encounter rate.

jgkspsx

But unless you fight battles, you won't ever level up, and then you're really screwed, right? I mean, I'm strong enough to win all the normal enemy encounters unscathed and the rock monster just kills me to death.

Question regarding the beginning of the True Ending chapter:
When you meet the sage, he says something about hidden arms somewhere. I was a little tired when playing and didn't catch what place he was referring to. So uh... where has he hidden something?

The game never tells you the location, you have to
Land the Grandship on the island that's in the middle of the crescent moon island. The top disappears when you start one of the end chapters.

Conan-san

So two questions;

1. How potent is status effect spells? Is it worth getting anything that isn't a buff or debuff from the magic stores?
  2. I'm at the desert just after you get your airship. Should I be following the main quest or doing the thieves sub-quest to get the extra job right now?

So two questions;

1. How potent is status effect spells? Is it worth getting anything that isn't a buff or debuff from the magic stores?
  2. I'm at the desert just after you get your airship. Should I be following the main quest or doing the thieves sub-quest to get the extra job right now?

As long as you're in a class with a high Int (which controls the success rate of status) , group statuses have a ~50%+ success , and single target 75%+.

Bosses generally don't No Sell statuses either, some bosses are immune to certain statuses but it tends to make sense.

Dread is kind of terrible though since very few enemies default (and even fewer will Brave unless they have excess BP). It's good if you have Hasten World but otherwise fairly useless.

Poison does get nerfed on bosses (it does 1% of their HP instead of 10%) but it works well on normal monsters.

Basically a lot more useful than normal in RPGs.

Conan-san

As long as you're in a class with a high Int (which controls the success rate of status) , group statuses have a ~50%+ success , and single target 75%+.

Bosses generally don't No Sell statuses either, some bosses are immune to certain statuses but it tends to make sense.

Dread is kind of terrible though since very few enemies default (and even fewer will Brave unless they have excess BP). It's good if you have Hasten World but otherwise fairly useless.

Poison does get nerfed on bosses (it does 1% of their HP instead of 10%) but it works well on normal monsters.

Basically a lot more useful than normal in RPGs.
Thanks, I just didn't want to waste money (Which is somewhat hard to come by in BD) On unless stuff.

Yuterald

Has the collector's edition gone up on Amazon yet or did I miss it for some reason? GameStop seems to have it available for pre-order, but Amazon doesn't.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I was gonna quit at the Dragon boss, you really shouldn't find these difficulty spikes so early in the game, but after that I kept playing and now I just defeated the
Performer and Pirate
. Greatly enjoying this game after that instance. Hell, that Dragon and
Fiore de Rosa
have been the cheapest enemies so far, the latter expecially because his bloody
Revenge
ability. I think i got lucky because he didn't use it to heal himself for a couple turns, thus allowing me to massacre the crap outta him

the villains in this game are so massively despicable, they do all sorts of horrible things, which really makes you want to smash their face in asap

game seems insanely long, I clocked 15 hours and still in CH3, really great effort on making this a very meaty one

I decided to go for the true ending after completing the other ending.
But I have a question regarding my save file :
I saved in the
airship just before the final boss
It seems I am now stuck there, so my question regarding grinding :
is the only way to level up now is inside the airship ??? I cannot do anything else ?!

FryHole

I decided to go for the true ending after completing the other ending.
But I have a question regarding my save file :
I saved in the
airship just before the final boss
It seems I am now stuck there, so my question regarding grinding :
is the only way to level up now is inside the airship ??? I cannot do anything else ?!

What, so you've not
entered the Norende crater yet? You should be able to leave, have you tried clicking on the airship icon on the bottom screen? You should have the option to pilot the ship yourself and resume control on the world map.

Code:
What, so you've not [SPOILER]entered the Norende crater yet? You should be able to leave, have you tried clicking on the airship icon on the bottom screen? You should have the option to pilot the ship yourself and resume control on the world map[/SPOILER].

I think this is what I've done for the other ending. Right now
I am in the airship, when I want to control it it says I cannot and all I can do is using the airship shops, going into the dungeon inside the ship or fight the final boss on the ship

FryHole

I think this is what I've done for the other ending. Right now
I am in the airship, when I want to control it it says I cannot and all I can do is using the airship shops, going into the dungeon inside the ship or fight the final boss on the ship

Ah, right. All I'll say is, go fight that boss :)

(Or grind if you need to, of course)

danthefan

Question about chapter 5:

I'm trying to kill all the bosses again and I thought I'd got them all, but there's still the blue icon over the Eternian central command building, the one where you fight Victor and Victoria. I (think) I've searched it fully but I cannot see what quest/boss is left in here.

Other question, can anyone recommend just some generally decent job combinations? Just looking for a fairly balanced party. Going with a Pirate/WM/Ninja/Dark Knight at the moment for bosses but haven't put a huge amount of thought into their sub-classes really.

Has the collector's edition gone up on Amazon yet or did I miss it for some reason? GameStop seems to have it available for pre-order, but Amazon doesn't.
Think Amazon.com sold out.

I'm really satisfied with the demo but don't want to get bored with it grinding, are the unlocks worth the trouble?
Not really tbh, best unlock from the demo is starting the Norende restoration with 20 (max transfer) villagers.

Also if your characters are good enough you could always outright brave them all and attack and then press Y to auto battle the whole way or turn off battles.

Chapter 4 spoilers:

Braev's words at the end of the battle were pretty funny because my Edea was actually lying face-down after getting KO'd.

Whenever a character has a speaking role in a battle, if they get KO'd, they'll be revived with 1HP when their line comes up. At least, that's what I remember happening when I was fighting Victor and Victoria. Was that what happened?

I'm trying to kill all the bosses again and I thought I'd got them all, but there's still the blue icon over the Eternian central command building, the one where you fight Victor and Victoria. I (think) I've searched it fully but I cannot see what quest/boss is left in here.

Other question, can anyone recommend just some generally decent job combinations? Just looking for a fairly balanced party. Going with a Pirate/WM/Ninja/Dark Knight at the moment for bosses but haven't put a huge amount of thought into their sub-classes really.

Is there something on the top floor? I can't imagine any other spots a battle could occur.

wrowa

I think you've got to fight
Braev
on the top floor. There might also be a boss in the prison, can't remember anymore.

Regarding jobs:
Trust me, you want to have your pirate at level 14 and you want his sub-class to be the one of a level 14 swordmaster.

The game never tells you the location, you have to
Land the Grandship on the island that's in the middle of the crescent moon island. The top disappears when you start one of the end chapters.

Thanks, found it. :)

FryHole

Is there something on the top floor? I can't imagine any other spots a battle could occur.

I do seem to recall wandering around like a tit for ages until
I remembered the lift in the upper right corner on the floor you enter on

Oxx

Whenever a character has a speaking role in a battle, if they get KO'd, they'll be revived with 1HP when their line comes up. At least, that's what I remember happening when I was fighting Victor and Victoria. Was that what happened?

She spoke in the scene after the battle, but I think I still had to use Raise when I regained control.

Gambit

Finished the game!

The true final chapter was fantastic. After I've been down on the game in the second half, the end really made up for it. Especially the flashes to the other worlds were a great idea. It fit the theme so well and gave it all additional weight. It really felt like a final battle.

But I will advise my (local) friends to ignore the sidequest bosses from chapter 5 and 6. Doing them once is mabye ok, but the differences between all the visits were miniscule. It was a bit of a drag, but I am glad I did them. If only, because I wanted to know what happens.

I would not have done them at all, had I not been able to switch random encounters off. That option was a fantastic addition to the game.

At the end. the teaser got me ridiculously hyped for Bravely Second. It was fantastic.

I loved how it looked and how AR enhanced the experience.

Can't wait to learn more about Magnolia.

BTW: Has anyone played that Bravely Default Browser game? I have no idea what it's like, and probably won't ever play it, but am curious if the story has any relevance.

I played enough of the browser game to know I'm not interested in it at all. I really hope they don't force us to play it again for B2nd DLC this year.

Gambit

I played enough of the browser game to know I'm not interested in it at all. I really hope they don't force us to play it again for B2nd DLC this year.

That's what I thought. The only thing that caught my interest was the name Edea Lee Oblige. Just wanted to know what that story was.

Jintor

Missing out on XP and JP because the fucking enemy two-hits some of your party before you waste it sucks. Having to re-analyse for max HP on enemies every time sucks, though at least it keeps track of weaknesses. Having to keep an freelancer ability slot handy for analyse sucks. Trekking back and forth across continents to talk to one NPC in a village for no good reason sucks.

Game's good though, but slowly losing interest due to the slog. Not even at Chapter 4 yet, though it must be soon :T

Just played the demo. I didn't finish it, because my battery died and I foolishly left my charger! Nooo! Wasn't such a big deal until now!

I thought the demo was just fanatastic. I was immediately pulled in, chose hard mode, and really enjoyed getting killed outside of town until I regrouped, bought items at the shops with equipment and started feeling the progress! The cave boss rocked me the first time around - picked up a couple spells and EQ and scraped by with a win just barely! Third party member almost dead, rest laying dead, braved up for four attacks, managed to win against that charming succubus! Felt great! I love the visuals, loving to see jobs.. I will be buying this! Glowing.

Leezard

Missing out on XP and JP because the fucking enemy two-hits some of your party before you waste it sucks. Having to re-analyse for max HP on enemies every time sucks, though at least it keeps track of weaknesses. Having to keep an freelancer ability slot handy for analyse sucks. Trekking back and forth across continents to talk to one NPC in a village for no good reason sucks.

Game's good though, but slowly losing interest due to the slog. Not even at Chapter 4 yet, though it must be soon :T

Actually it keeps max hp, just not current hp. Press left on the control stick to see weaknesses as you know, then press confirm on the monster you want to see. You will see max hp, defense, strength, etc.

Ah, right. All I'll say is, go fight that boss :)

(Or grind if you need to, of course)

Haha, now that it is done I understand what you meant ! Well, I was seriously under-leveld, it was not the best idea to "lock" you on that save point.

wrowa

Haha, now that it is done I understand what you meant ! Well, I was seriously under-leveld, it was not the best idea to "lock" you on that save point.

I don't quite get that. Didn't you say that you already made the alternative ending before?
You fought against the same boss, after all.

I don't quite get that. Didn't you say that you already made the alternative ending before?

Yeah I did. Only he was way harder this time and I thought
it was gonna be the last boss, like the alternate ending, but now I have to fight the real last (?) boss. Too bad I used all my best items :(

Beginning chapter 5, everyone is level 99 already and all the jobs are at least level 12. Missing one job. First game that I'm already at that level at the half of the game...

Not liking the beginning of chapter 5...Hope my game time will not double up now...

wrowa

Regarding the structure of the second half of the game:
I didn't really mind it a lot since it game you room to explore the job system, but they should have changed a few things. Chapter 5's side-quests were pointless, since they barely changed compared to the original quests. That way, it only set a bad precedent for the things to come.

In chapter 6 things started to get interesting again, since a lot of quests had quite a bunch of interesting new content, which portrayed the villains further. In particular, you saw that most of the villains had pretty good reasons for their actions and that your party judged wrong on a lot of things. Same is true for chapter 7, which gets even more interesting since you start to fight against the bosses in groups.

Chapter 8 is a low point again. After beating everything three times, you don't want to repeat it a fourth time. It's especially annoying since a lot of side quests are pretty hard and, yet again, there's not a lot of new story content. The truth about chapter 8 is that it's quests are supposed to be post-game content -- to show that, the developers should have hidden them until you actually beat the boss. It's rather frustrating, since the last bunch of boss fights in chapter 8 are some of the hardest fights in the game, but when you are in the mood "to finally get over with it", you won't enjoy the challenge. Stupid design decision, really.

In short, they should have cut chapter 5 completely and they shouldn't unlock chapter 8's sidequest until you've beaten the game. That way it would have been much more enjoyable, imo.

I understand why the repeated the circle so often, and they definitely managed to nail the feeling of routinely awakening the same crystals over and over again (while being attacked by monsters that aren't even frightening anymore), but a RPG is not a Visual Novel. What works in something like Steins;Gate becomes too time consuming in an RPG. I do hope that Hayashi will also write Bravely Second and that he learned from his experience with Bravely Default, though. I think the story had a lot of potential, a lot of great subtones, makes great use of foreshadowing and the world is more complex than it seems at first -- but you also realize that the author has not much experience writing RPGs, yet.

Also, didn't they announce that they would change something about the last chapters of the game in For the Sequel? So, what did they change, exactly?

wrowa

Beginning chapter 5, everyone is level 99 already and all the jobs are at least level 12. Missing one job. First game that I'm already at that level at the half of the game...

Not liking the beginning of chapter 5...Hope my game time will not double up now...

Wow. Grinding yourself up to level 99 before beginning chapter 5 (which is where you start getting a lot of EXP and JP) sounds insanely crazy.

Anyway, just
awake the four crystals again in chapter 5. It should take you half an hour or so. The side-quests in chapter 5 really aren't worth making, since barely anything has changed. Just take my advice on that.

I didn't really mind it a lot since it game you room to explore the job system, but they should have changed a few things. Chapter 5's side-quests were pointless, since they barely changed compared to the original quests. That way, it only set a bad precedent for the things to come.

In chapter 6 things started to get interesting again, since a lot of quests had quite a bunch of interesting new content, which portrayed the villains further. In particular, you saw that most of the villains had pretty good reasons for their actions and that your party judged wrong on a lot of things. Same is true for chapter 7, which gets even more interesting since you start to fight against the bosses in groups.

Chapter 8 is a low point again. After beating everything three times, you don't want to repeat it a fourth time. It's especially annoying since a lot of side quests are pretty hard and, yet again, there's not a lot of new story content. The truth about chapter 8 is that it's quests are supposed to be post-game content -- to show that, the developers should have hidden them until you actually beat the boss. It's rather frustrating, since the last bunch of boss fights in chapter 8 are some of the hardest fights in the game, but when you are in the mood "to finally get over with it", you won't enjoy the challenge. Stupid design decision, really.

In short, they should have cut chapter 5 completely and they shouldn't unlock chapter 8's sidequest until you've beaten the game. That way it would have been much more enjoyable, imo.

I understand why the repeated the circle so often, and they definitely managed to nail the feeling of routinely awakening the same crystals over and over again (while being attacked by monsters that aren't even frightening anymore), but a RPG is not a Visual Novel. What works in something like Steins;Gate becomes too time consuming in an RPG. I do hope that Hayashi will also write Bravely Second and that he learned from his experience with Bravely Default, though. I think the story had a lot of potential, a lot of great subtones, makes great use of foreshadowing and the world is more complex than it seems at first -- but you also realize that the author has not much experience writing RPGs, yet.

Also, didn't they announce that they would change something about the last chapters of the game in For the Sequel? So, what did they change, exactly?

In the original
chapter 7 & 8 are basically almost the same as chapter 6. That's why in the original you can still do Kamiizumi side quest in those 2 chapters since the story isn't much changed and you still battle them single unlike For the Sequel (team asterisk battle)

Chapters 7 and 8
basically didn't change much from 5 and 6

Gambit

I agree basically with everything.
You had to run through the game at least one time too many. Chapter 5 and 6 are virtually identical anyway.

In the original
chapter 7 & 8 are basically almost the same as chapter 6. That's why in the original you can still do Kamiizumi side quest in those 2 chapters since the story isn't much changed and you still battle them single unlike For the Sequel (team asterisk battle)

No way!
So those boss fights against more than one are new? wow

wrowa

In the original

Oh God. That would have driven me insane.

Wow. Grinding yourself up to level 99 before beginning chapter 5 (which is where you start getting a lot of EXP and JP) sounds insanely crazy.

It wasn't intentionally. I kept my encounter rate at 100 % and when I got a new job, I just grinded that job to get it around the same level as the others.

This game just hands you a lot of experience at certain moments. Same with money (but I used the more money skill for that while I was playing. Having almost 2 million and everything of Norende shops is at least bought once (that includes the four costumes en four of the freelancer looks).

Oh, well, I guess the playtime will be decrease a lot now, with those stuff already available...

Yasawas

I'm about level 60 in Chapter 5, would I struggle later if I just skipped the optional bits of this one? Not sure I've got the patience for it to be honest.

wrowa

I'm about level 60 in Chapter 5, would I struggle later if I just skipped the optional bits of this one? Not sure I've got the patience for it to be honest.

The optional bosses only net you JP, which you can get more quickly by just fighting a few random encounters. It's definitely not worth doing it for the EXP.

Just get over with it, chapter 5 is not worth the hassle if you don't enjoy it. It's nice for experimenting with different job combinations and such, but nothing you couldn't do later on as well.

Top Bottom