• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Laieon

I can't wait to play this. I know absolutely nothing about it and I'll be going in blind, but the screenshots and art look really good.

D-e-f-

Banned
Is it wrong that I'm addicted to the Norende reconstruction aspect of the game and just play the story to pass the time until I get my workers back? :D

I love town (re)-construction gameplay in RPGs for some reason. Ever since Terranigma I've just been in love with this concept.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Is it wrong that I'm addicted to the Norende reconstruction aspect of the game and just play the story to pass the time until I get my workers back? :D

I love town (re)-construction gameplay in RPGs for some reason. Ever since Terranigma I've just been in love with this concept.

I like it because you can get new equipment. It's really cool how you can set your villagers to work while you play the game and have something to stock up on.

Exentryk

Completed the game last night and saw the true ending.

So, Tiz was dead since the start of the game and we (the player) were the celestial in Tiz all along? Wow! Agnes (angel) called us out at the start of the game and we supplied our strength and gave Tiz lifeforce? Obviously, this means the celestial realm is the real world.

Some inconsistency with seeing Ringabel dropping a flower in Grandship in one scene and then saving Edea in another? Which world did he actually go?
Not to mention some other oddities like why Edea never realised who Ringabel was since surely she'd have seen Alternis's face being childhood friends.

I haven't read the D's journal yet, so maybe there is something in there about the ending.

I enjoyed the secret movie though. Magnolia's battle comments, i.e., "Default" and then "Brave, Brave, BRAVE" were pretty funny.

Now the long wait for Bravely Second. :(

Raysoul

Hi BraveGaf, I have a question about the collectors edition.

How many tracks are included in the music CD? Is there a tracklist out there? I tried searching but I am not sure about the results.

May16

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think NA is getting the updated edtion (For the Sequel).

You are correct.

In Japan there is Bravely Default (not going international) and Bravely Default: For the Sequel. The latter is the same story and characters, same world, same game really, but it includes a bunch of updates and tweaks.

The updated version is going international under the title "Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies."

The one we gaijins aren't getting is the original version of the game, which, after you've played this one, seems like more of a collector's item. Still great, but probably hard to go back.

Completed the game last night and saw the true ending.

So, Tiz was dead since the start of the game and we (the player) were the celestial in Tiz all along? Wow! Agnes (angel) called us out at the start of the game and we supplied our strength and gave Tiz lifeforce? Obviously, this means the celestial realm is the real world.

Some inconsistency with seeing Ringabel dropping a flower in Grandship in one scene and then saving Edea in another? Which world did he actually go?
Not to mention some other oddities like why Edea never realised who Ringabel was since surely she'd have seen Alternis's face being childhood friends.

I haven't read the D's journal yet, so maybe there is something in there about the ending.

I enjoyed the secret movie though. Magnolia's battle comments, i.e., "Default" and then "Brave, Brave, BRAVE" were pretty funny.

Now the long wait for Bravely Second. :(

Alternis rarely shows his face in front of anyone (iirc he always behind his mask when near Edea). That's allow him to do spying/recon mission like the one stated in the journal.

Hi BraveGaf, I have a question about the collectors edition.

How many tracks are included in the music CD? Is there a tracklist out there? I tried searching but I am not sure about the results.

English CE? http://vgmdb.net/album/42406
Last year's Japan CE/Retail OST? http://vgmdb.net/album/33726

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
So, I´m about 20 hours in, and I have mixed feelings. On the one hand I like the brave/default system, and that the game has been streamlined without actually removing depth. But I`m having serious issues with the story and characters. The game is way to talky, and the dialogue is, frankly, badly written and the voice acting is mediocre. The issues I have with the quality of the dialogue is greatly increased by how long and boring the conversations often are, and the topics of their discussion.

I have started skipping the extra dialogue scenes that occur (at way too frequent intervals IMO), but I´m finding it hard to stay engaged in the game when the story is so slow as well. I´m a ways into chapter 2, will things get better in this regard later?

Also I find the job system a little disappointing. The rate of when you actually get useful abilities are way too slow, at least with the jobs I have now, and I have trouble actually making my team work together in a satisfactory way. The knight, as the only tank-like class I have now, is actually a laughably bad tank.

Not trying to be negative, I just really want to enjoy what should be a really good JRPG. I usually love this genre, but I´m having serious difficulty doing so.

Alternis rarely shows his face in front of anyone (iirc he always behind his mask when near Edea). That's allow him to do spying/recon mission like the one stated in the journal.

Alternis always wearing his helm is actually the subject of a Gameplay & Story Integration Gag. In Bravely Default Dark Knights (who don't traditionally have any special affinity for helms) both have S rank in helms and learn Helm Mastery. At least it amused me when I got it.

Jintor

I don't really think the dialogue is badly written, it's just that what the story has to have the dialogue do is crap. Oh yeah now we gotta go back to that town to talk to that one guy. Oh yeah now we gotta follow this trail of stupid breadcrumbs. Oh yeah here's a hilariously dumb character who you may or may not care about. Eh.

I'm kinda with you on the jobs, but it is pretty cool when you figure out how to get the build you want. It's like, right on the verge of being something I really like. Still, it's better than other stuff.

Though... if I could junction thundaga to my every attack... hmmmm... and then play triple triad to get cards to make weapons with...

Oxx

There definitely is too much dialogue. But I'm one of those people who wants characters to say 2 lines max in a handheld RPG.

Matriox

Got a preorder of the last Bravely Default CE this past weekend :) Stoked for Feb, unfortunately I had to preorder it at Gamestop since I missed it on Amazon :(

kiryogi

Banned
So, I´m about 20 hours in, and I have mixed feelings. On the one hand I like the brave/default system, and that the game has been streamlined without actually removing depth. But I`m having serious issues with the story and characters. The game is way to talky, and the dialogue is, frankly, badly written and the voice acting is mediocre. The issues I have with the quality of the dialogue is greatly increased by how long and boring the conversations often are, and the topics of their discussion.

I have started skipping the extra dialogue scenes that occur (at way too frequent intervals IMO), but I´m finding it hard to stay engaged in the game when the story is so slow as well. I´m a ways into chapter 2, will things get better in this regard later?

Also I find the job system a little disappointing. The rate of when you actually get useful abilities are way too slow, at least with the jobs I have now, and I have trouble actually making my team work together in a satisfactory way. The knight, as the only tank-like class I have now, is actually a laughably bad tank.

Not trying to be negative, I just really want to enjoy what should be a really good JRPG. I usually love this genre, but I´m having serious difficulty doing so.

Voice acting mediocre? Are you playing with the dub? The asterix holders especially are fab in Japanese.

JimboJones

I wasn't a fan of the voice acting either but luckily

EundoVh.jpeg

ZeroX03

Banned

That's because tanking isn't an effective strategy. Buffing/debuffing is much more efficient against bosses, and attack-all sweeping for random encounters to take them down before they can even hit you. Some of the late game buffs are pretty ridiculous, and tanking won't help you against bosses that hit for 9999 guaranteed.

Yasawas

The optional bosses only net you JP, which you can get more quickly by just fighting a few random encounters. It's definitely not worth doing it for the EXP.

Just get over with it, chapter 5 is not worth the hassle if you don't enjoy it. It's nice for experimenting with different job combinations and such, but nothing you couldn't do later on as well.

Yeah, after my moaning I think I might use it to boost some jobs while I can as I can. I just don't get why some of them only give JP but some give thousands of EXP and some cash too. Odd.

Today I discovered the joy of Utsusemi which I've had for a while and never used, what a thing that is. I don't think I'll ever get bored of casually shrugging off 1,000 damage and responding with eight times that of my own.

Edit - getting confused there. Utsusemi avoids one attack but if you have the Counter ability you still get a chance to hit back with it and it's sweet. It seems to last for a number of turns until used too.

Bravely Default has something really great. Just broke my right arm yesterday and now its the only game I can play this 3 weeks thanks to the only left hand mode it has.

I'm so excited for this game. I love the integration of the 3DS Social features. I'm not really sure I "get" brave/default yet. I understand how to use it, but not how it's a good game design choice. I guess I'll just have to keep playing. I'm still on the demo, but I pre-ordered. Super excited to join you all in feb!

zoukka

I just ignore the dull story and enjoy the good game mechanics/challenge. I mean I can't even remember the last JRPG that had a story I enjoyed. They are all shit bar a few rare exceptions.

Ponn

Banned
I fully beat the demo and maxed out all characters. I really enjoy the BP system and while its not new (one of the things i loved about Xenogears) i love how its evolved and having enemies use it creates new avenues of strategy. Also love the job system and the amount of customization that will open up.

I also enjoy the build Norende game but i have never get anything with streetpass feature and dont even know where to find my fc to give out. Is that going to hobble me in main game? Is there a fc exchange thread for the game?

I also enjoy the build Norende game but i have never get anything with streetpass feature and dont even know where to find my fc to give out. Is that going to hobble me in main game? Is there a fc exchange thread for the game?

Don't worry, you can get residents by connecting to the internet and updating your BD data; you can get about 2-5 each day.

Friend exchange is there for using Abilink (use any ability learned by your friends) and friend summons.

Ponn

Banned
Don't worry, you can get residents by connecting to the internet and updating your BD data; you can get about 2-5 each day.

Friend exchange is there for using Abilink (use any ability learned by your friends) and friend summons.

hm i havent gotten any villagers that way i think. I have two after about five days. Is that the icon in the bottom pull menu that says updating steetpass info?

wrowa

hm i havent gotten any villagers that way i think. I have two after about five days. Is that the icon in the bottom pull menu that says updating steetpass info?

No, it's in the save screen. The second option is "update data" -- that's what you want to chose.

KHlover

Banned
Just got to chapter 5. Question: WHY? 1-4 were perfect, 5 is like the bottom of a cliff. Game went from personal GOTY to 7/10 IMO. Does it get better again?

Just got to chapter 5. Question: WHY? 1-4 were perfect, 5 is like the bottom of a cliff. Game went from personal GOTY to 7/10 IMO. Does it get better again?

If you don't like Chapter 5, you're in for a rough ride.

Do yourself a favour and skip all the "old" sidequests until Chapter 6 (but skip everything here except the new sidequest at Yulyana Woods).

It gets slightly better later and the ending is worth it.

Leezard

It does get slightly better in chapter 6. Not much, but slightly, especially if you go for the normal ending first. Chapter 5 is the absolute low point.

Ponn

Banned
thanks for answers everyone. Now the wait till feb begins and my collectors edition to arrive. Hopefully Amazon will provide release date delivery.

I played the demo and really enjoyed it, but now that I'm skimming the OT I'm beginning to worry about my preorder. I see all this "Chapter 5" doom. I also just finished the the demo for Fire Emblem: Awakening last night and that was awesome. Anyone who has played both want to give me a little guidance?

Capell

Unconfirmed Member

I'm with you, chapter 5 was where I had to pause the game for several days. At least
they give you acces to the Grand Ship right off the bat.

I just finished the normal ending and it does indeed get better again after chapter 5, there are some neat little twists that kept me playing.

Also, the boss battle theme is worth getting to the end!

wrowa

If you don't like Chapter 5, you're in for a rough ride.

Do yourself a favour and skip all the "old" sidequests until Chapter 6 (but skip everything here except the new sidequest at Yulyana Woods).

It gets slightly better later and the ending is worth it.

Eh.
Skipping chapter 5? Absolutely. But by skipping chapter 6 you'll miss out on a lot of background knowledge. Chapter 5 is the one that's not worth doing, not 6.

Sadist

Still getting my ass kicked during the final battles at the end...

seriously, I loathe Airy. I want to beat her so bad. But I just can't win :(

Takuan

I spent a good amount of the weekend playing the demo and maxing out job levels for characters. I have everything maxed on 2 characters, working on the final two. I neglected doing the town-building stuff, so I brought my 3DS into work and set a timer to match the cooldown on my current upgrade-in-progress. Quite a bit of content for a demo, gives a good taste of the game and its mechanics.

Top Bottom