• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

wrowa

Yup. But for the others, I don't know what to do.

The poor thing never had a chance against my party.

2 level 14 Pirates both with Swordmaster's Free Lunch skill. Free Lunch + 3 to 4 times Amped Strike = 30k-40k damage per round per character.

1 Salvemaker with White Mage abilities. Casts Salvemaker's Ressurect (ressurect the whole party) and Cura/Curada each round. So, every fallen party member gets revived nearly instantly while HP stays high.

And the key to a success: Some class (I used a Templar, but it doesn't really matter) with B/W magic and the Group-Cast-All support ability (learned by Black Mages at level 14). It's also important that every character is equipped with the BP Recovery skill of a level 9 (?) Red Mage, which will recovers 2BP every time a character sustains a status ailment.
The fourth characters casts 3 times poison + 1 time Esuna on the party. This way, each character will recover up to 6BP each round.

BPs not being an issue any longer combined with Amped Strike's absurd power makes the battle a cake walk.

Not sure if it's because there's (probably) not going to be anymore new nemeses, or they've been hunted to near extinction thanks to the second Bravely Quest, but I haven't been able to get any new nemesis for the past few days.

royox

Just got to chapter 5. Question: WHY? 1-4 were perfect, 5 is like the bottom of a cliff. Game went from personal GOTY to 7/10 IMO. Does it get better again?

It's all about the game's plot. This part is SHIT if you don't know how to play it properly. Here, take some advice:

Do the Vampire quest and see all the pictures. Lord DeRosso will break your mind explaning EVERYTHING about BD's Lore and past.

After that, see again the AR intro of the game and be mind-broken.

Awake 3 crystals.

Talk to Yuliana and get mindcrushed again.

Do all the sidequests you want...if you want to skip them (there's no problem with it) at least fight versus Braev (Templar) as he may say some interesting things about game Lore

Chapt6
Awake 1 crystals..then now you are again trapped to the game with the "I want to know what comes next!!!" feel. At this point do what you want.

This is the way I'm playing it (still Chap6 doing the "fast ending") and I'm enjoying it a lot. Yes...it's a "what were they thinking!!!" if you just go all "I have to do ALL THE SIDEQUEST BEFORE KEEP GOING!!".

I was so excited for this game.
I played the demo then realized that I don't enjoy JRPG as much as before.
I know it's not the game's fault, I'm just disappointed that I didn't enjoyed it as much as I would like :,(

aravuus

It's all about the game's plot. This part is SHIT if you don't know how to play it properly. Here, take some advice:

Do the Vampire quest and see all the pictures. Lord DeRosso will break your mind explaning EVERYTHING about BD's Lore and past.

Awake 3 crystals.

Do all the sidequests you want...if you want to skip them (there's no problem with it) at least fight versus Braev (Templar) as he may say some interesting things about game Lore

Chapt6
Awake 1 crystals..then now you are again trapped to the game with the "I want to know what comes next!!!" feel. At this point do what you want.

This is the way I'm playing it (still Chap6 doing the "fast ending") and I'm enjoying it a lot. Yes...it's a "what were they thinking!!!" if you just go all "I have to do ALL THE SIDEQUEST BEFORE KEEP GOING!!".

It was still shit, whether you think I was playing it "wrong" or not.

Nice to see some people enjoyed it though. Maybe you'll get other people to buy BD and well get BS some day too.

e:
Chapt6

A bit surprised about this though lol

WolvenOne

So, I'd like to hear everyone's opinion.

I'm considering pre-ordering the Collectors Edition from Best Buy. I'm mostly looking at the soundtrack, since I doubt I'll use the AR cards, and since artbooks are mostly a novelty for me.

So, is the soundtrack roughly worth the extra ten dollars? Are there going to be a half decent number of tracks to choose from?

wrowa

I'm considering pre-ordering the Collectors Edition from Best Buy. I'm mostly looking at the soundtrack, since I doubt I'll use the AR cards, and since artbooks are mostly a novelty for me.

So, is the soundtrack roughly worth the extra ten dollars? Are there going to be a half decent number of tracks to choose from?

It's just a mini album with 10 tracks with quite a few of the best songs of the game missing. If you want to have the complete experience you might want to import the complete soundtrack from Japan, but I'd say that the mini album is worth the extra dollars. The selection might be lacking, but it's still a selection of 10 pretty awesome tracks.

If you want to, you can listen to the album on YouTube before you make a decision.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGUVoOixqNo

D-e-f-

Banned

See previous page for link to track listing. It's not a full OST.

also

Banned
I played the demo and really enjoyed it, but now that I'm skimming the OT I'm beginning to worry about my preorder. I see all this "Chapter 5" doom. I also just finished the the demo for Fire Emblem: Awakening last night and that was awesome. Anyone who has played both want to give me a little guidance?

Fire Emblem is a bunch of good characters wrapped in, at times, frustratingly random combat that is more stat than strategy based and a mediocre story that should have ended halfway through.

Bravely Default has a wonderful combat system that kept me entertained for 100+ hours and an okay story. The second half can be repetitive (chapter 5 is the worst offender) but you can skip most of it if you don't care about world building and adding depth to the characters. I personally did every side quest and I don't regret it; some of the scenes really do change your view of the characters.

WolvenOne

It's just a mini album with 10 tracks with quite a few of the best songs of the game missing. If you want to have the complete experience you might want to import the complete soundtrack from Japan, but I'd say that the mini album is worth the extra dollars. The selection might be lacking, but it's still a selection of 10 pretty awesome tracks.

If you want to, you can listen to the album on YouTube before you make a decision.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGUVoOixqNo

Mm, Ten tracks is pretty decent, so I'll probably go for it. The alternative is importing the whole OST, and I suspect that'll end up costing a whole lot more then ten dollars. I was mainly just worried that it'd end up a skimpy five track affair. Those pre-order soundtracks can sometimes turn out to be a pretty big rip-off.

The artbook will be nice too, even if it is mostly a novelty. XD

Sadist

2 level 14 Pirates both with Swordmaster's Free Lunch skill. Free Lunch + 3 to 4 times Amped Strike = 30k-40k damage per round per character.

1 Salvemaker with White Mage abilities. Casts Salvemaker's Ressurect (ressurect the whole party) and Cura/Curada each round. So, every fallen party member gets revived nearly instantly while HP stays high.

And the key to a success: Some class (I used a Templar, but it doesn't really matter) with B/W magic and the Group-Cast-All support ability (learned by Black Mages at level 14). It's also important that every character is equipped with the BP Recovery skill of a level 9 (?) Red Mage, which will recovers 2BP every time a character sustains a status ailment.
The fourth characters casts 3 times poison + 1 time Esuna on the party. This way, each character will recover up to 6BP each round.

BPs not being an issue any longer combined with Amped Strike's absurd power makes the battle a cake walk.
Thanks a bunch! This finally worked.

Ringabell pulled of four 9999 damage hits in a row. Amazing stuff

Awake 3 crystals.

Chapt6

What changes in the AR intro?

Gambit

Aaaaaand completed.

Completely worth it for the ending.

Good job. And I agreed, the ending made it all worth it.

@Wrowa: Great strategy! Mine was similar, but not as advanced. I had two people with the spiritmaster skills and simply used stillness while my pirates where recharging BP. Compared to yours, it feels much slower, but at least I ended most battles completely unhurt. (Felt like cheating in a way, but it seemd the game was encouraging you to "break" it)

Exentryk

You'll do more damage with Dark Knights, but I guess Pirates suffice. I barely let the boss get a turn :p

Zornica

Banned
Alternatively:
You don't have to waste a turn every 4 turns with a pirate/swordmaster setup...

At the final boss, you're probably level 99 anyway and should have a few of those axes from the
earth crystal boss
. A Pirate combined with a spell fencer and fire for
airy
, ice for the
big bad guy
should be doing up to 9999 dmg per normal hit - without wasting that many turns for free lunches. There is also the advantage of being able to use Osmosis if your healer dies, which restores your health after one hit fully.

Discovered that BP trick fairly recently - feels a little smarter/more inventive than some of the cheaper tactics, like the Valkryie stuff. For a while before that I had Tiz as a Templar with Chivalry, and Dual Shields, Shield Lore and P.Defence 30% Up as my support abilities. Super Charge with that setup does a lot of damage, and you get the added bonus of a little extra defence against physical attacks. You can obviously switch a Templar for a Knight so you've got a spare support slot, though the defence stat is slightly lower.

Yasawas

Oh you guys and your fancy setups that you actually thought about. I got to Chapter 6 with three ninjas and a white mage and thought I was doing alright.

Still this is another chapter where I can accumulate JP easily so I should maybe branch out and make someone a master dark knight and pirate while I'm here.

You'll do more damage with Dark Knights, but I guess Pirates suffice. I barely let the boss get a turn :p

Dark Knights (and spell fencers) do have some problems against
Airy
since its debuff move also dispels Sword Magic, which means that your amount of Rages is more limited (since you have to renew the Drain sword magic) on the turn you attack. That probably means Hasten World High Jump Ninja Cheese or Samurai/Pirate are the best setup for that battle.

Actually it gets worse.

I disagree. Chapter 5 or Chapter 6 is definitely the low point (depending on your tolerance of the plot twist as a novelty in and of itself versus how significant a change in the status quo you want per chapter), Chapter 7 & 8 get some pretty interesting challenge fights.

I can't even imagine how bad the original must have been though with Chapter 7/8 being much less interesting.

I can't even imagine how bad the original must have been though with Chapter 7/8 being much less interesting.
I completed the original and it was really awful. Couldn't make it to the true ending, soooo boring. The "for the sequel" version is better indeed.

I would likely have stopped playing and took a long break if 7 and 8 weren't changed.

It's still
more of the same, but at least they changed things up and added in some challenging and fun fights.
Plus some of the dialogue is funny.

Just did the
Chapter 8 boss rush (the repeat with no breaks)
yesterday; man, that was brutal. Got a bit lucky between battles and with Rise from the dead (works any turn after a KO).

Santiako

I'm on chapter 4 and I can now go fight some
dragons for some keystones to enter the vampire dude castle
, but I'd have to grind a bit to kill them. Are they still there if I keep going with the game or do they dissapear?

Actually it gets worse.

oh look it's Perfo, GAF's resident Lightning Returns defender

BWT....Red Mage is DeRossa.....Vampire is DeRosso....ffs. You had 1000 names!
ikr, seriously game

btw, how many fights are actually required to beat the game?

what I have (obvious spoilers alert):
(Tiz/Agnes recruited)
Sky Dueler
Sky Dueler (again....)
Sky Dueler/Sky Archer
Holly/Barras
(Ringabel/Edea recruited, Edea cannot switch jobs before the Ominas fight)
Ominas
Sky Dueler/Pikeman/Archer
Sky Dueler/Pikeman/2x Archer
Heinkel+2 Sky Archers
Dragon
Othros
Land Turtle
Victor/Victoria*
Rusalka
3x Automaton
(bunch of Black Blades here, this is the part I need to fill out)
Chaugmar
Behemoth
Ice Golem
Victoria/Victor
Braev
Gigas Lich
Alternis
(one of the 4 crystal bosses again)
Airy*
Airy 1
AIry 2

* means the fight can't be won

kiryogi

Banned
Wow didn't notice until I saw it in the artbook and on my wallpaper, but the FtS logo purposely has a spoiler to it if you look close enough XD

Exentryk

Dark Knights (and spell fencers) do have some problems against
Airy
since its debuff move also dispels Sword Magic, which means that your amount of Rages is more limited (since you have to renew the Drain sword magic) on the turn you attack. That probably means Hasten World High Jump Ninja Cheese or Samurai/Pirate are the best setup for that battle.

Not really. Like I said, I don't even give it a chance to attack. Can easily do 200k total with 2 dark knights in one turn, even while casting drain in the same turn. So this is way better than pirates.
Also, high jump and stillness are known cheap ways of defeating bosses. I only use it when farming mostly.

Fire Emblem is a bunch of good characters wrapped in, at times, frustratingly random combat that is more stat than strategy based and a mediocre story that should have ended halfway through.

Bravely Default has a wonderful combat system that kept me entertained for 100+ hours and an okay story. The second half can be repetitive (chapter 5 is the worst offender) but you can skip most of it if you don't care about world building and adding depth to the characters. I personally did every side quest and I don't regret it; some of the scenes really do change your view of the characters.

Thanks. I think you've sold me. Now to wait until Feb 7...

As far as digital vs. physical, does the boxed copy have a manual? I just got a 2DS and was disappointed that Zelda: A Link Between Worlds doesn't have a manual.

FryHole

Thanks. I think you've sold me. Now to wait until Feb 7...

As far as digital vs. physical, does the boxed copy have a manual? I just got a 2DS and was disappointed that Zelda: A Link Between Worlds doesn't have a manual.

It doesn't have a full manual, but a fold out quick guide detailing controls, battle commands and online features.

Leezard

I'm on chapter 4 and I can now go fight some
dragons for some keystones to enter the vampire dude castle
, but I'd have to grind a bit to kill them. Are they still there if I keep going with the game or do they dissapear?

They will still be there.

sucks that the ending of this game is a huge mess (from what I have read) I am keeping my pre-order because I love the mechanics so much. I played the demo for 8 hours and it had zero story.

sucks that the ending of this game is a huge mess (from what I have read) I am keeping my pre-order because I love the mechanics so much. I played the demo for 8 hours and it had zero story.

The ending's fine.

It's just
the second half leading up to the ending
that's a mess for some; I don't personally mind it much, but it could have been better.

royox

2x Phoenix Down on the Zombie boss
dat free experience

Fuck that works? I used Raise on him and just did damage but not insta-killed as in Classic Final Fantasy zombie bosses.

BTW how do you defend against non-elemental Magic? Last job boss is destroying me.

edit: you don't know how hard is to play in "non-english" language and then ask here for help....first time I saw "Thundara" I was all like "what the hell is that?" For me that's "Electro+"

Top Bottom