• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Exentryk

BTW how do you defend against non-elemental Magic? Last job boss is destroying me.

Dark Knight's Absorb Magic - Nullify damage from magic during that turn and restore your MP by the amount of MP used to attack you.

Spiritmaster's Stillness - Neither enemies nor allies suffer damage for 2 turns.

Other than that, M Def raising abilities help. There are probably more options that I am not remembering right now.

P.S. -
IIRC, all I did in that battle was dispel him everytime he used a buff. He'll usually then cast the buff again in the next turn, and not bother attacking. Re-raise on your party members also helps.

R-User!

Any chance of this coming back in stock for preorder on Amazon? :/

I could preorder lately, and now I want it. Don't want to pay the GS $5 tax.

Who else might have this on launch day for $50? Limited edition only for me (unless there is only a limited edition).

Fuck that works? I used Raise on him and just did damage but not insta-killed as in Classic Final Fantasy zombie bosses.

BTW how do you defend against non-elemental Magic? Last job boss is destroying me.

edit: you don't know how hard is to play in "non-english" language and then ask here for help....first time I saw "Thundara" I was all like "what the hell is that?" For me that's "Electro+"

Lol whaaaaaat. That works?!!? I've been doing it the wrong way!

yeah it works....but Raise works too?
I guess it's because an optional encounter

obvious spoilers:
Airy lied, Agnes died? :p

Not really. Like I said, I don't even give it a chance to attack. Can easily do 200k total with 2 dark knights in one turn, even while casting drain in the same turn. So this is way better than pirates.
Also, high jump and stillness are known cheap ways of defeating bosses. I only use it when farming mostly.

I had problems surviving to get the Dark Knight damage setup. But my version is different to yours (I use Hasten World and My Hero / Mimic , and usually Dark Weakness my enemy). It's hard to get fully setup on that battle. I should really consider triple poison / Esuna for BP but it won't work in the Boss Gauntlet, since if you don't Innoculate -> Remedy in one fight, you'll likely get rolled.

Exentryk

I had problems surviving to get the Dark Knight damage setup. But my version is different to yours (I use Hasten World and My Hero / Mimic , and usually Dark Weakness my enemy). It's hard to get fully setup on that battle. I should really consider triple poison / Esuna for BP but it won't work in the Boss Gauntlet, since if you don't Innoculate -> Remedy in one fight, you'll likely get rolled.

Guess I should make a vid for the ending boss fights. And yeah, I just stillnessed my way through that status casting boss team. Couldn't be stuffed changing my team around -.-

desverger

Ok, this might be a dumb question but does having negative BP affect you in battle in any way? I don't really understand why I would want to "save" turns with Default, unless I want to defend with a particular character.

Gambit

Ok, this might be a dumb question but does having negative BP affect you in battle in any way? I don't really understand why I would want to "save" turns with Default, unless I want to defend with a particular character.

Having negative BP does not affect you, but it does keep you from executing an action.
Which means you will be defenceless against the enemy for numerous turns.

danthefan

When you default, you cut down the damage taken, as you know. If you just splurge all your BP in the first turn against a boss, you are utterly defenceless for the next three turns. You can't heal, you can't defend, you can't do anything. I can't think of many bosses where this wouldn't be a guaranteed game over. I almost always try to keep a couple of BP in reserve for my healer in a boss battle.

Against random enemies/grinding then by all means use all your BP if you can kill the enemies in one turn.

desverger

Ok, thanks for the answers! I think I'm finally understanding the system, and abilities that give you BP actually seem valuable to me now.

mclem

I think my natural grindiness is a problem. I'm L33, playing with +50% encounters, and just at the start of chapter 2. Wonder if it's worth me cranking the difficulty up to Hard.

KHlover

Banned
I think I may have finally found peace with Chapter 5 (and 6 so far). Post game. I'll just look at that shit as post-game. Game officially ended with Chapter 4 for me.

10/10 Bravely Default GOTY

Dolken

Neo Member
I think my natural grindiness is a problem. I'm L33, playing with +50% encounters, and just at the start of chapter 2. Wonder if it's worth me cranking the difficulty up to Hard.

Unless I'm mistaken, difficulty only adjusts the HP of enemies.

Leezard

You can turn off getting XP in the difficulty settings. I did that for a little while until I stopped feeling overleveled.

just turn off encounters, really now

also I've gotta say,
doing those crystal bosses over and over again really gives a lot of EXP

I just blasted through the 3DS demo. I'm pretty hyped up, and I'm glad I preordered the collector's edition. The demo alone made me realize how tepid SE's releases have been, I haven't anticipated any of their games like this one. Feb 7 can't come soon enough. =(

i purchased and started this yesterday, i don't get as much time as i would like these days to play but i'm loving it so far. I've started and dropped far too many RPG's recently so im hoping this one clicks with me. Initial impressions are promising though!

KaiPow

Banned
cant wait to play this game!
Do i open my collectors or buy digital and keep it sealed is the question....

I'm thinking of opening my Collector's. If a review copy gets sent my way, obviously I'll change my mind but I doubt BD will make its way down into my hands.

Question. In the full game, does that same NPC from the demo give you a resident? Or was that just something for the demo? Just curious if you can "cheat" to get a lot of residents in the full game, too.

Yasawas

I'm glad I persevered through chapter 5. Got to a certain bit in chapter 6, saved my game and went to quit and noticed the title screen has changed. Got a wee shiver down my spine and everything, lovely.

Question. In the full game, does that same NPC from the demo give you a resident? Or was that just something for the demo? Just curious if you can "cheat" to get a lot of residents in the full game, too.

Doesn't happen in the full game (since he only gives the resident when you've unlocked the Dragon fight the Oasis) and that only happens in the Demo.

Doesn't happen in the full game (since he only gives the resident when you've unlocked the Dragon fight the Oasis) and that only happens in the Demo.

Awww, okay. I'll just have to get those online streetpass residents, I guess. How many is it per day? I live in a very rural area, so I won't be actually streetpassing anyone. To be honest, I wish games would stop trying to incorporate streetpass stuff into gameplay systems. Not all of us live in some busy city with tons of people closeby to ping.

Awww, okay. I'll just have to get those online streetpass residents, I guess. How many is it per day? I live in a very rural area, so I won't be actually streetpassing anyone. To be honest, I wish games would stop trying to incorporate streetpass stuff into gameplay systems. Not all of us live in some busy city with tons of people closeby to ping.

3-5 per day. Streetpass has never worked well anywhere outside of Japan* but it works very well there, so I wouldn't expect to see it go away with JRPGs and such.

*And it works okay at PAX too.

danthefan

Chapter 5 question:

Does the vampire sidequest carry over into Ch6? I hate Ch5 and just want to get out of it as quick as possible, it's nearly ruining the game for me.

I've begun reading the Bravely Default novels that were released late last year. They keep using in-game terms, it's pretty amusing. "We should use a Light Curtain, it'll reflect his magic" "You probably have high Int and Will, so I guess you should be a Black Mage" etc.

Exentryk

I've begun reading the Bravely Default novels that were released late last year. They keep using in-game terms, it's pretty amusing. "We should use a Light Curtain, it'll reflect his magic" "You probably have high Int and Will, so I guess you should be a Black Mage" etc.

That's awesome. Are they available in English anywhere?

also

Banned
That sounds kind of awkward but as bad as the
default...brave, brave, brave... bravely second
in the bonus movie.

Zornica

Banned
3-5 per day. Streetpass has never worked well anywhere outside of Japan* but it works very well there, so I wouldn't expect to see it go away with JRPGs and such.

*And it works okay at PAX too.

that's not true. I get up to 8 passes a day all over central europe. That's a lot more than what I used to get during the summer when I was in Japan (not counting akihabara where you could get about 100/hour).

Was there any report on stock problems? I got a few friends who'd love to buy the game, but it seems to be sold out EVERYWHERE. Any idea if/when a restock will take place?
the CE went up as high as 200€... Standard Game goes for 70€ and more...

mclem

Would anyone with a Freelancer L10 (i.e. with the
JP Up
ability) be willing to Friend with me for abilinks? I've got one of my own, so I should be able to return the favour.

My info's in ThePeoplesBureau's post next to the OP.

funo

Does anyone know if there's going to be a re-issue of this game anytime soon in europe? The game is sold out everywhere and I don't want to buy the regular version for ~65€ on ebay or amazon (DE).

JP Up
ability) be willing to Friend with me for abilinks? I've got one of my own, so I should be able to return the favour.

I've been lazy about adding people since I finished the game. I'll add everyone in the OP tonight.

FryHole

JP Up

I've been lazy about adding people since I finished the game. I'll add everyone in the OP tonight.

Never even noticed that list in the OP! I'll get my info on there and do some adding over the weekend.

Does anyone know if there's going to be a re-issue of this game anytime soon in europe? The game is sold out everywhere and I don't want to buy the regular version for ~65€ on ebay or amazon (DE).

Not heard anything about a re-issue, but Amazon UK have it for £35/€42, but I don't know how much they'd charge you for delivery. Is digital not an option for you?

Top Bottom